I apologize if there's an existing Arrow thread, but I went back 10 pages and didn't see one.

Anyhow, Arrow Season 3 debuted Oct. 7. If you haven't been following it, it's not the story of Green Arrow ... yet. Arrow is taking the Smallville route of showing how the hero emerges rather than beginning with one.

To wit, Green Arrow isn't called that yet. He's been called The Vigilante, The Hood, The Archer and probably some other things. Now he's being called Arrow. It's only one more step to "Green Arrow."

He started out as a killer. He's learned to restrain himself.

The police originally wanted to arrest him. After two seasons, he's been more or less deputized -- by the guy who used to be his harshest critic, but now loves him. And that critic is moving up the ladder in the police force. Could he become Arrow's Commissioner Gordon?

He's located in Starling City, but it's pretty obvious that the city's name is soon going to be changed to ... aw, you guessed.

Black Canary isn't Dinah Lance ... yet. Black Canary has been Dinah's sister Sara for about a year, with an origin out of Batman (Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins). But she got killed very persuasively in the season premiere, so ... will her sister take up the mantle? (Magic 8-Ball says "yes.")

Lots of DC characters on this show, slightly askew from their DC origins. Amanda Waller is here. The aforementioned Ra's al Ghul. One of Ra's daughters is here -- not Talia, but another one that showed up in the comics briefly. Huntress has appeared a couple of times. "Diggle" is a character that was invented for the show, but now he's appeared in Green Arrow comics proper. Deathstroke is here, having gotten superhuman powers from "Mirakuru" which I think is a nod to Hourman's Miraclo. Yes, we've got Roy Harper, but he is never called Speedy and jumps straight to being called Arsenal. Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) has arrived as a character named Ray Palmer ... and my guess is he'll audition for a very small show soon. And so on. Half the fun of the show is the Easter eggs!

Steve Arnell is very convincing as Arrow, moving quickly enough and acrobatically enough that I can believe (just barely) that he hasn't been shot yet.

I'm sorry to see Sara go, because I'm not very impressed with the actress who plays Dinah, who seems to have graduated from the Blake Lively School of Stand There and Look Pretty and Vapid.

I have more to say, but I want to hear from you folks!

Views: 957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My wife mentioned also that Ra's al Ghul's name comes out different depending on who says it!

The producers have mentioned that the flashbacks will continue through at least season 5  -  the plan is to cover at least one year of his time away per season.

My guess is that next season's will be set in Russia (they still have to explain where he learned to speak fluent Russian and gained his mob connections) and season five's will have Waller abandoning him on the island once again.

Richard Willis said:

At this point I think they should wrap up the flashbacks. I find myself mildly annoyed every time they do one. As for Waller, she reminds me of all the things that have been done wrong in real life in the last thirteen-plus years.

Well, we have cliffhangers that will be hanging out until Arrow returns on March 18.

We finally see Ray Palmer in action as The Atom and he looks like a ripoff of Iron Man.

There will be a new episode of Arrow this coming Wednesday March 18.

Two things I'm not crazy about.

1) Reimagining Deadshot as a combination of "American Sniper" and the stereotypical crazy-dangerous veteran cliché is very annoying

2) Speaking of annoying, changing The Atom to Rip-Off-Iron-Man and ALSO changing Ray Palmer into a huge jerk

Some interesting and a few funny moments in this week's episode, more than one unintentional:

- With little or no proof, just the word of a criminal, the Arrow is accused of murder.  Really?

- Why is random rich businessman Ray Palmer speaking at a press conference about the police manhunt of the Arrow?  What's the logic there?

- I actually liked how Laurel stood up to Ray, showing he was way out of his depth as far as legalities go.  Bonus chuckle for the "Do you have x-ray vision?" line.

- Ray had been portrayed as brilliant but unfocused up to now, easily distracted and seemingly thinking of 5 or 6 things at once, and now he's more single minded than Batman going after Joe Chill.?

- I laughed pretty hard at Ollie shutting down the ATOM suit so quickly and easily.  It really was the poor man's Iron man suit.  Isn't Ray supposed to be a scientific genius, AND he had some help from Felicity.  This is the suit the show has spent a lot of time discussing and showing us.

- Richard is right: Ray was a huge jerk to Felicity, worse than Ollie ever was (intentionally or not).  I can't believe she forgave him.

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

- I laughed pretty hard at Ollie shutting down the ATOM suit so quickly and easily.

Am I wrong or did he just splash some water on him?

It looked to me like he shot a battery or power conduit. Was there water involved and I missed it?

I also wondered why Palmer was speaking at a police press conference.

I also laughed at the X-ray vision line.

It was cool to see Laurel be a good lawyer for once, but wouldn't Palmer have an army of lawyers? Why is he doing this himself?

I also was annoyed that the ATOM suit was just warmed-over Iron Man. Newsflash: It isn't the armor that makes Iron Man movies so successful. And, really, if you're going to use the names "Ray Palmer" and "Atom" then there really ought to be some shrinkage involved. (I read somewhere that the Palmer character was going to be somebody else, but they discovered too late that the rights weren't available -- and simply re-named the character without changing anything. Steel, maybe? I wondered if anyone else had read the same thing, because I can't remember where I read it.)

I saw Ray's treatment of Felicity as anger that she had been lying to him all along -- and she was. He had a right to be angry.

People on this show lie a lot, even when they don't need to. I thought it was foolish to keep Canary's death a secret, but now that it's out, I'm glad to see there are repercussions.

I noticed after the Deadshot episode that they aired some sort of link to a vet-help organization or something. I didn't check it out, but I'm guessing they were worried about complaints from veterans group about Lawton's craziness.

Anybody notice that Lawton's speech to Arrow about "Love is a bullet to the head" was word for word what the H.I.V.E. recruiter said to him? And oh yeah: H.I.V.E. makes its TV debut.

My wife and I have noticed they're not wasting time on Arsenal reaction shots any more. Since, evidently, he went to the Blake Lively School of Inert Acting.

Weirdly, Captain Lance seems to be a better actor to me with his head shaved. Maybe his '70-style comb-over made me think I was watching an episode of Starsky & Hutch.

Captain Comics said:

People on this show lie a lot, even when they don't need to. I thought it was foolish to keep Canary's death a secret, but now that it's out, I'm glad to see there are repercussions.

I think they had concerns that her dying after returning from seeming death would unhinge her father. It was all very clumsily handled and just made matters worse.

I noticed after the Deadshot episode that they aired some sort of link to a vet-help organization or something. I didn't check it out, but I'm guessing they were worried about complaints from veterans group about Lawton's craziness.

Not being super-familiar with the Deadshot character I looked him up before posting. This military angle is apparently an invention for the TV show. This "crazy vet" shtick was very prevalent in the 70s. Now, as then, this popular misconception causes vets not to be hired when they otherwise would be. It's even more virulent today because fewer people have family and friends who were in the military.

Weirdly, Captain Lance seems to be a better actor to me with his head shaved. Maybe his '70-style comb-over made me think I was watching an episode of Starsky & Hutch.

The actor, Paul Blackthorne, has a long acting resume. IMO he usually blows everybody else out of the water when he has good lines. He's yet another Brit playing an American.

Oh, yeah! Now that you mention it, I seem to remember Blackthorne from some British show my wife watched. I must have seen him while passing through the room. I thought he seemed familiar, but I couldn't place him -- I was thinking he was an American!

As to why everyone lied to him, it's because they were afraid he'd have a heart attack. Which is still stupid. And why keep the news from others who eventually found out anyway?

OTOH, I do like that the new trend is to point out that superheroes lying to everyone about their secret ID may be for good reason, but it's still un-heroic. I've argued for years that Clark Kent's every day at work is a violation of journalism ethics on some level. So it's vaguely satisfying that superheroes are being called out on all the lies.

I also like it that in today's TV, secret IDs aren't an absolute. OF COURSE a superhero needs to have a group of people around him abetting his work, and keeping his secret for him. I always thought the way Lois Lane ought to be played is being Superman's helper, making excuses for Clark Kent so he can do his Super-thing. That's much more admirable behavior than trying to figure out his secret identity or trick him into marriage!

And yes, the Lawton origin on TV is a TV invention. I guess they wanted the shorthand. But I think his comic-book origin is even scarier: He doesn't care about anything. He's a true nihilist, who doesn't love, doesn't hate, doesn't even care if he dies. It's pretty frightening to get in his head, which the comics do occasionally. "Crazy vet" is a cliche, and boring. It's a shame they went this route, because the actor playing Deadshot seems to have the chops for the comics version.

One more thing: Ray Palmer referred to Laurel's other ID as "Black Canary." That's twice characters have called Canary -- that's her name on the show -- Black Canary, which is her name in comics. Was there a transition I missed?

It's jarring to me when they suddenly refer to her as Black Canary. Both versions of the character don't seem to introduce themselves as Canary or Black Canary, so I don't know how anyone (Palmer, Captain Lance, the bad guys or the newspapers) would come up with that name. I'd be curious to hear the translation of the Arabic name for her that is used by Nyssa and others.

Arrow will be a rerun on April 8.

A new episode will air on April 15.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 0 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up for the Final Issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE out on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service