AVENGERS. “And There Came Another Day…”

There are some interesting threads on this forum, already covering issues of Marvel’s early series – ‘re-reading’’ of the Avengers and Journey into Mystery/Thor and so on and there was quite a good issue by issue thread on the Invaders around too, until it caught up with the present.
What is more rarely discussed are the later periods when these series were in full flow and while perhaps less iconic still number among them some classics…

I therefore present to you an issue by issue critique/discussion forum for one of these mainstay Marvel titles.
Not beginning at the very debut – as others have that covered well – but (and I hope I don’t step on anyone’s creative toes here!) – I would like to pick up the Avengers title after a watershed/bookend issue provided an opportune point at which to begin …
Issue #100 featured all Avengers to that point together in one tale and everything that goes before it is pretty well easily contained by then. The next issue launches the title into its second century of publishing and its next phase of greatness…

What has gone before…?
And so there came a Day…

The formation of the team.
The Hulk leaving. Captain America’s return. The Original members giving way to Cap’s kooky Quartet.
Goliath and Wasp returning. Hercules coming and going. The creation of Ultron. The arrival of the Vision.
Yellow jacket Hawkeye as Goliath II and then back again. The Squadron Sinister/Supreme. The Kree-Skrull War and of course…the Lady Liberators!
(I’m sure you’ll have your own highlights!)

And so there came ANOTHER Day…

Views: 30054

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone in CBG noted years ago it rhymes with "pickle my knee".

I've never heard his name said out loud, so I had no idea.

Like many of us, I didn't know how to pronounce Magneto until I went to a convention.

I've heard Stan pronounced it differently but switched to the way everyone else said it when he saw no one was saying it the way he did.

Ronald Morgan said:

Someone in CBG noted years ago it rhymes with "pickle my knee".

I remember Shooter once used that "pickle my knee" mnemonic in Bullpen Bulletins. Problem with that, though, if I were to say that sentence (never mind what it might mean), I would accent the last word: pickle my KNEE. I thought he was saying it was pronounced mickle eye KNEE.

Here's another one: "Trimpe" rhymes with "shrimpy."

Who here used to think it rhymed with "shrimp"? I can't have been the only one.

You can relax Ronald, you are certainly not alone.

Loki being Lowk-Eye was one of my own for decades before the Avengers film!

If there was a wrong way to pronounce DC I'd use it.

Ronald Morgan said:

Who here used to think it rhymed with "shrimp"? I can't have been the only one.

I think I pronounced it LOCK-EE until I saw the 1960s cartoons on TV.

I saw at least a few episodes of the 60s cartoon before it was cancelled but somehow mispronounced Loki until he turned up in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends in an episode that didn't make a bit of sense and said Ymir stole the rulership of the ice giants from an ice queen.

AVENGERS #175 (09/78)
Writer – Jim Shooter (plot) & David Michelinie (script)
Penciller - Dave Wenzel                     Inker – Pablo Marcos
Cover Art – Dave Cockrum & Terry Austin 

“The End...and the Beginning!"

Thematically similar to next issue's cover - I much prefer this one - there is a drama and menace from the bad-guy figure here that is almost cartoon/childish in the next one.
It should be noted that Dave Cockrum is back for this cover, he draws a great Thor and Vision doesn't he - always great to see a Yellow Jacket cover appearance too. Cockrum's artistic licence on the Enemy/Korvac/Michael, especially facially, does jar with the interior but adds a demonic flavour to the mix that I like.

Inside and the action picks up straight away from last issue's destruction of the Collector - still with the mediocre Wenzel artwork but now with David Michelinie's dialoging the team. (we all know how to pronounce that now don't we).

While they're there the Avengers try to use the Collectors technology to determine who the/their 'Enemy' actually is - and come up blank - but they do discover time machine technology which finally explains how Thor has been pulled backwards and forwards in time to help the team since we all started noticing (or from about Avengers #151).
I always quite liked that plot detail and it does help in boost Thor's strategic importance to the team.

That time-tech is then used, on his request, to send the Two-Gun-Kid back home to the 1800s - as he just hasn't felt like he's fitted in.
This also ties up a loose end leaving readers (or just me?) thinking - 'so what was all that about?' as there has always felt like some promise behind the Kid's movement to the present and his virtual team-up with Hawkeye but it never appeared to blossom.
I am sure I read there was a potential spin-off planned with those two - which never emerged and I remember their guest appearance in a  Champions issue which almost heralded their own series but by this issue the editorial decision is finally reversed and Two-Gun returns home. In view of their time together, Hawkeye's goodbye scene is a little short but at least it is addressed..."--It's been fun"

(So i'll accept a 'Special Reserve / Honourary Status' for the Two-Gun-Kid's official Avengers membership for his part in this tale - but I don't accept he actually was given full-member status.)

These plot points dealt with and the Avengers teleported back to town - in various precarious positions our attention is returned to Michael.
In their suburban home we learn how Carina now supports Michael's stance on the Universe, so much so that she betrayed her father the Collector who's agent she originated as and we get a fleshed out recap of how she joined Michael and how Michael developed out of his past self as Korvac - thanks to Galactus's mothership and some power cosmic.
It is a re-telling of information we had already gleaned but quite a welcome scene as things had been getting quite convoluted. hadn't they?

At the Mansion, the large grouping of heroes scratch their collective heads wondering how to progress - and Ms Marvel arrives having had a 'seventh sense bulletin' she may be needed.
(Whatever happened to Carol's 'seventh sense'?)
Moondragon defends Ms Marvel when Hawkeye wonders is they need her, ( - so was Moondragon actually behind Carol's 'bulletin'?- hmmm?) and the Avengers descend into bickering chaos as they have so many times before, Quicksilver insulting Jocasta and the Vision arguing back...

I know we're supposed to hate him now but there's something about Pietro's putdown of the Vision that made me smile - (is that wrong of me?) - "Yes, you would defend her! Marrying my sister didn't make you any more human than a digital watch!".

Iron Man wonders how he can control the many heroes and yet appears to be managing quite well as he breezes through a scene with Wonder Man and Ms Marvel.
Those two were always getting hinted at for romance - which never really developed and that's a kind of a shame I think.

While facing the fact that the Government via Gyrich have removed most of their own technology Iron Man (thanks to Jarvis) turns to the guardians of the Galaxy for their help in searching for the Enemy/Michael and while we are reminded that Starhawk has been turned off by Michael from detecting him, it looks like there might be a chance of a confrontation to come.......and the issue ends.

This entire issue is basically a draw-breath and set-the finale up.

Exposition scene after exposition scene with no real action at all, quite a departure for monthly comics in those days but when read as a whole, i.e as part of the trades covering the entire 'Korvac Saga' it does serve the story well as a consolidating issue preparing for the action to come...next issue.

Come Back.... 

It turns out that a six-page Hawkeye and Two-Gun story was created and actually published. It was buried in the mostly-reprints comic

Marvel Tales #100 (FEB79)

http://www.comics.org/issue/33141/

This Blogspot article actually reproduces the entire story:

Bring On the Back-Ups: Hawkeye and the Two-Gun Kid

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2010/04/bring-on-back...

Wow Richard! 

Thankyou so much. Who would have thought I should have bought that Pet Avengers stuff?

Richard Willis said:

It turns out that a six-page Hawkeye and Two-Gun story was created and actually published. It was buried in the mostly-reprints comic

Marvel Tales #100 (FEB79)

http://www.comics.org/issue/33141/

This Blogspot article actually reproduces the entire story:

Bring On the Back-Ups: Hawkeye and the Two-Gun Kid

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2010/04/bring-on-back...

Richard Mantle said:

Wow Richard!

Thankyou so much. Who would have thought I should have bought that Pet Avengers stuff?

Reading your write-up on Avengers #175, I took a shot and Googled "Hawkeye and Two-Gun" and got really lucky.

It's a little (a little?) hard to believe that the two of them riding along in the middle of nowhere would stumble over the underground lair of an under-rated super-villain.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service