Avengers Roll Call

Given the "Captain Re-Reads Avengers" thread, I thought it advisable to resurrect this old file. It stops somewhere around "Avengers Disassemble," so it's a little out of date. But it includes the expansion of the Avengers line-up in the early years, which is what "Re-Read" is doing now. Enjoy!

AVENGERS ROLL CALL

Here's the closest I can get to a comprehensive list of Avengers membership, in order of admission:

• Ant-Man (Hank Pym, formerly Yellowjacket, Giant-Man, Goliath and Dr. Pym), Hulk (Bruce Banner), Iron Man (Tony Stark), Thor (Don Blake, Eric Masterson, Jake Olsen) and Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) formed the team in Avengers #1 (Sep 63). Rick Jones becomes a hanger-on, and achieves Honorary Member status at some point before Tales to Astonish #64 (Feb 65), wherein he flashes a badge to that effect.
  • Captain America (Steve Rogers, also The Captain, Nomad) was thawed out and signed up in Avengers #4 (Mar 64).
  • Hawkeye (Clint Barton, also Goliath II), Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) and Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) replaced all of the old guard except Cap in Avengers #16 (May 65).
  • Swordsman I (Jacques Duquesne) joined the Assemblers to betray them (to The Mandarin) in Avengers #19 (Aug 65), and was ousted in the next issue. He re-joined during the Celestial Madonna story as a hero, albeit a largely ineffective one. He joined the choir invisible in that adventure. Update: He was resurrected in "Chaos War" but hasn't been seen since.
  • Hercules finally joined in Avengers #45 (Oct 67), although he'd been hanging around since issue #38.
  • Black Panther (T'Challa) was recommended by Captain America, and accepted, in Avengers #52 (May 68).
  • The Vision II (sometimes Victor Shade) first appeared in Avengers #57, on a mission from Ultron to kill the team. Instead, he joined in Avengers #58 (Nov 68). (He's the second Vision, because there was a Timely one in World War II.)
  • Black Knight III (Dane Whitman) first showed up in Avengers #68, but didn't get around to joining until Avengers #71 (Dec 69). (The first Black Knight in Marvel continuity was Sir Percy of Scandia of Camelot, and the second was Dane's villainous uncle Nathan Garrett, who fought Iron Man and the Assemblers as one of the Masters of Evil.)
  • Black Widow II (Natasha Romanoff) was inducted in Avengers #111. (She's the second because Timely had one briefly in the Golden Age.)
  • Mantis joined at the end of Steve Englehart's epic Celestial Madonna saga in Giant-Size Avengers #4 (Summer, 1975).
  • Moondragon (Heather Douglas) and The Beast (Hank McCoy) joined in Avengers #137 (Jul 75). Both started on Probation, but Beast made the grade while Moondragon has been expelled at least once.
  • Hellcat (Patsy Walker) joined in extremely implausible circumstances in Avengers #148 (Jun 76).
  • The Guardians of the Galaxy (Aleta, Charlie-27, Martinex, Nikki, Starhawk, Vance Astro, Yondu) became Honorary Members in Avengers #168 (Mar 78) after helping fight Korvac.
  • The Whizzer (Robert Frank) joined as a Reserve Member long enough to pick up a retirement check in Avengers #173 (Jul 78). He has since died, but his son, the former Nuklo, once worked as a groundskeeper for the team.
  • Two-Gun Kid (Matthew Hawk ne Liebowitz) joined as a Reserve Member in Avengers #174 (Aug 78), after having met a time-traveling Hawkeye and visiting the present. He returned to the past, and was killed in the recent MAX series Blaze of Glory, if that is considered to be in continuity, which is unclear.
  • Wonder Man (Simon Williams) was that comic-book staple, a character created to be killed. He infiltrated The Avengers, betrayed them (to the Masters of Evil), had a change of heart, and died saving them in Avengers #9 (Oct 64). He got better 13 years later in Avengers #151-53, and according to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, was a Probation Member until issue #178 (Dec 78), and then formally joined the team in issue #182 (Apr 79), although nothing in those issues indicated that. But his story, and his predilection for hideous costumes, began in 1964.
  • Captain Marvel III (Carol Danvers, formerly Ms. Marvel, Warbird, Binary) joined in Avengers #183 (May 79).
  • The Falcon (Sam Wilson) was forced on the Assemblers by Henry Peter Gyrich in Avengers #184 (Jun 79).
  • Jocasta, a robot with Janet Van Dyne's mental patterns, joined in Avengers #197 (Jul 80). She was "killed" and resurrected numerous times, and may currently be dead as you read this.
  • Tigra (Greer Grant Nelson, formerly The Cat) was recruited by Moondragon in Avengers #211 (Sep 81).
  • She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters) was recruited by The Wasp in Avengers #221 (Jul 82).
  • Captain Marvel I (Mar-Vell of Kree-Lar) was granted Honorary Member status posthumously in Marvel Graphic Novel #1: Death of Captain Marvel (1982).
  • Captain Marvel II (Monica Rambeau, formerly Photon and Pulsar, now Spectrum) joined in Avengers #227 (Jan 83).
  • Starfox (Eros of Titan) joined in Avengers #232 (Jun 83), just for the fun of it.
  • Mockingbird (Barbara Morse Barton, formerly The Huntress) and War Machine (Jim Rhodes) helped form the left-coast franchise in West Coast Avengers #1 (Oct 85).
  • Sub-Mariner (Namor MacKenzie) joined in Avengers #262 (Dec 85).
  • The Thing (Benjamin Jacob Grimm) joined during a hiatus from the FF in West Coast Avengers #9 (Jun 86).
  • Dr. Druid (Anthony Ludgate, formerly Dr. Droom) joined in Avengers #278 (Apr 87). He was kicked out -- and if the Druid series is in continuity, is dead.
  • Moon Knight (Marc Spector/Steven Grant/Jake Lockwood) joined in West Coast Avengers #21 (Jun 87) as did, presumably, all of his other identities.
  • Marrina (Marrina Smallwood) was granted Honorary status in Avengers #282 (Aug 87). She was skewered by her husband, The Sub-Mariner, with Black Knight's sword.
  • Yellowjacket II (Rita DeMara) gained Honorary status in Avengers Annual #17 (1988) but was killed by a Kang-controlled Iron Man during the "Crossing"business, which now seems to have evaporated from continuity. But she's still dead, as of Avengers (vol. 3) #1.
  • Demolition Man (Dennis Dunphy, also called D-Man) was recommended and by the Star-Spangled Avenger, and accepted, in Captain America #349 (Jan 89).
  • Gilgamesh of the Eternals, Invisible Woman (Sue Storm Richards) and Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) joined in Avengers #300 (Feb 89), the latter two resigning shortly thereafter. Gilgamesh was killed in "The Crossing."
  • USAgent (John Walker) joined in West Coast Avengers #44 (May 89).
  • Quasar (Wendell Vaughn, formerly Marvel Boy II) joined in Avengers Annual #18 (1989). (The first Marvel Boy appeared in the 1950s.)
  • Firebird (Bonita Juarez, sometimes Espirita) joined in Avengers #309 (Nov 89).
  • The Golden Age Human Torch (Jim Hammond) signed up in Avengers West Coast #50 (Nov 89).
  • Stingray (Walter Newell) was inducted in Avengers #319 (Jul 90).
  • Rage (Elvin Halliday) and Sandman (William Baker/Flint Marko) joined as Probationary Members in Avengers #329 (Feb 91). Rage was booted when it was revealed he was a minor. Sandman had a stint with Silver Sable's Wild Pack and has returned to bad-guy status.
  • Spider-Man (Peter Parker) finally made the team in Avengers #329 (Feb 91), after first trying out in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3 (Nov 66).
  • Living Lightning II (Miguel Santos) and Spider-Woman II (Julia Carpenter) signed up in Avengers West Coast #74 (Sep 91). (The first Living Lightning was a villain, and the first Spider-Woman was Jessica Drew.)
  • Crystal (Crystalia Amaquelin Maximoff) of the Inhumans and Thunderstrike (Eric Masterson, formerly Thor II) joined in Avengers #343 (Jan 92). Thunderstrike died in the 24th issue of his own title, a victim of the Bloodaxe.
  • Swordsman II (Philip Jarvert of Earth-921), Magdalene (of Earth-9021), and Moira Brandon were granted Honorary Member status in Avengers #343. The former two were offered full membership Avengers/Squadron Supreme Annual 1998, but both declined. Both Swordsman II and Magdalene returned to their home worlds. Moira Brandon -- well, that's even harder to explain, and since she's dead I don't have to.
  • Machine Man (Aaron Stack, also X-51) joined in Avengers West Coast #83 (Jun 92). His membership has been revoked due to a mind-control storyline, and it is unclear if he has rejoined.
  • Darkhawk (Christopher Powell) made the grade in Avengers West Coast #94 (May 93).
  • Masque ("bio-duplicate" of Whitney Frost) gained Honorary Member status in Avengers #397 (Apr 96) after proving she wasn't a bad guy. She was killed by Count Nefaria, the real Madame Masque's father.
  • Deathcry of the Shi'ar made Honorary Member in Avengers #399 (Jun 96). She was killed but revived in "Chaos War," and hasn't been seen since.
  • Firestar (Angelica Jones) and Justice (Vance Astrovik, formerly Marvel Boy III) joined in Avengers #4 (Vol. 3, May 98). This makes the second time Vance has joined, only younger this time.
  • Triathlon (Delroy Garrett Jr.) joined in Avengers #27 (Vol. 3, Apr 00).
  • Silverclaw (Maria de Guadelupe Santiago) signed in Avengers #30 (Vol. 3, Jul 00).
  • Jack of Hearts (Jonathan Hart) was recruited in Avengers #43 (Vol. 3, Aug 01). He is killed by Wanda Maximoff in Avengers #500 (Sep 04), and may still be dead.
  • Ant-Man II (Scott Lang) finally joined in Avengers #62 (Vol. 3, Feb 03). He was killed by Wanda Maximoff in Avengers #500 (Sep 04), but revived by the sacrifice of his daughter.
  • Thor resigns in Avengers #63 (Vol. 3, Mar 03). And subsequently dies in his own title.
  • Captain Britain II (Kelsey Leigh) joins in Avengers #81 (Vol. 3, Jul 04).
  • The team is dissolved in Avengers #503/Avengers Finale (Dec 04-Jan 05). The team is revived by Captain America and Iron Man, in New Avengers #3, but the status of previous members is in doubt.
  • Spider-Man, Spider-Woman I (Jessica Drew) and Luke Cage (a.k.a. Lucas, Power Man II, Hero for Hire) are inducted into the new team in New Avengers #3, although Spider-Man was previously a member already.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you don't count the Hulk, Wonder Man, or the Swordsman, there were twelve Avengers during the Silver Age. Toss in the Black Widow and one time guest appearances by Dr. Strange, and Red Wolf and Lobo, and that's a lot of membership activity for seven years. And Daredevil turns up a couple of months after the SA ends. In the same time period the Fantastic Four has five members counting Crystal, six if you want to count Wyatt Wingfoot. But then you'd have to add Rick Jones to the Avengers line up.

• Didn't Quasar start out as "Marvel Man", rather than "Marvel Boy"?  If not, then he would have been Marvel Boy III or IV, since there was at least one 1940s Marvel Boy, whose real name was Martin Burns.  At least, I count him as one character, albeit one with different costumes in each of this two appearances, and slightly variant origin stories that are both impossible in the 616 universe (either Martin was the reincarnation of Hercules from Valhalla, or he gained powers when the Egyptian mummy of Hercules fell on him during a field trip to a museum--since the Earth-616 Hercules has never been mummified or reincarnated, still being in his original incarnation as far as anyone knows)--my own theory is that "Martin Burns" was actually the immortal youth that the Hulk knew as Agamemnon, whose connection to both Greek & Norse mythology might explain his mythically mixed origin stories.  Other people, including Marvel's Golden Age Handbook, insist that both Martin Burns were separate Marvel Boys.  In that case, Bob Grayson became the third Marvel Boy in the 1950's, and the inspiration for Wendell Vaughn.

• I think he was Marvel Boy at first. Bob Grayson had already gone crazy and died in Fantastic Four before Quasar debuted. Both Toro and Red Raven were also crazy when they were brought back and killed. They seem to really enjoy picking on anything they made before FF#1. Like they're ashamed they made anything before the Fantastic Four. Yet they don't mind admitting they didn't start then when they have an anniversary like 50th or 75th.
    I'm sure they'd come up with another backstory for him. The "Hercules" in the story was an Eternal or a Deviant or something.
    Peter David, of course, wanted Agamemnon to be Bucky, but Marvel insisted Bucky was never coming back. Look how that worked out.
    They also threw out the bizarre origin of Fiery Mask, replacing it with a rather cliche origin. The giant zombie making mad scientist was really weird but at least it was a unique origin.
  • There's a lot to correct here, especially all the characters who were dead in 2000 who have since come back. For example, Scarlet Witch killed four characters in Avengers Dis-Assembled, and all but one has returned (Hawkeye, Vision, Ant-Man, Jack of Hearts). Well Scott Lang returned and then died again! It's hard to keep track sometimes ...

I've also got Thor listed as deceased, because he was at the time. And I don't have the explosion of new members that took place in the aughts.

But I posted it because, if nothing else, it gives the exact issue in chronological order in which every member joined before Avengers Dis-Assembled. Which is a useful thing to have!

• Jack of Hearts nerd alert here ....

Does his resurrection in a "Marvel Zombies" book count as being alive again? I didn't think those stories took place on Marvel-Prime.

• I just cleaned this up a bit, but it still stops in 2004, if anyone wants to figure who joined when after that.

• Dane Whitman seems an oddity. While a bunch of villains reformed to become Avengers, I think he's the only one that has the name of a villain that he was related to. At least during the Silver Age.

Perhaps the death of his uncle is where The Crossing writer or editor got the idea Iron Man was a killer. It was a great battle, but it's kind of disturbing when you find out Nathan Garrett was critically injured and Iron Man didn't even seem to notice.

• I haven't read that issue in decades, but didn't Iron Man have to race off to recharge, or die himself?

• Possibly. I think Happy became the Freak right after that so he could have been hurrying to see how he was doing. I think Happy had been critically injured by Titanium Man?

• Generally, since Nathan Garrett was attempting to murder Iron Man and initiated the attack and died as a result of Iron Man attempting to protect himself, that would be legitimate self-defense, so Iron Man wouldn't deserve the label of "killer" for that.  Of course, if he had the chance, Shellhead really should have checked on his condition.  Unless Garrett's fall was broken by tree branches before he hit the ground, a fall from that height should have been instantly fatal -- as in splattered all over and in no condition to say last words to his nephew or anyone else.  Stan and Roy apparently completely forgot about his winged horse and it was left to Bill Mantlo to fashion a story about his fate many years later.

Ron M. said:

Dane Whitman seems an oddity. While a bunch of villains reformed to become Avengers, I think he's the only one that has the name of a villain that he was related to. At least during the Silver Age.

Perhaps the death of his uncle is where The Crossing writer or editor got the idea Iron Man was a killer. It was a great battle, but it's kind of disturbing when you find out Nathan Garrett was critically injured and Iron Man didn't even seem to notice.

This reply was deleted.