Just curious how many relatively active posters are on the board and how do everyone's interests break down?

Do you read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both?

Do you read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything?

Are there any current creators that you love most of their work or hate most of their work?

Are you more interested in discussing things you've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression?

Do you prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle?

What do you like best about the board?

What do you feel are some challenges for the board?

Views: 1950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both?

I tend to read mostly newer comics. I'll pick up something older ever now and then. Especially if it's a story or series that is well known or was popular that I never got around to before.

Do you read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything?

It goes back and forth. I made a big drop on my hold file recently. I'm more of a Marvel guy but right now I think I have slightly more DC books due to the Before Watchmen series. I was reading a few indie books but right now it's just Sixth Gun from Oni.

Are there any current creators that you love most of their work or hate most of their work?

I love what Scott Snyder is doing on Batman so he's on top of my list right now. As far as creators I don't care for it'd have to be Brian Michael Bendis. He has some good points to his work but as many times as I've tried to read a series of his I end up dropping it. I feel he spends a lot of time on dialogue and teases something big but never gets there. Dialogue is fine but I'd like to see something more than talking heads in my comics from time to time.

Are you more interested in discussing things you've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression?

I like to discuss I've just read but I'm up for rediscover old favorites.

Do you prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle?

I like to focus on the positive but I do like to hear from folks why something in particular didn't work for them. I will occaisionally post why I didn't like something either. I try to find the positives in it though so I'm not totally bashing something.

What do you like best about the board?

The board still remains a friendly place to post. Other boards tend to get outlandish in their posts at times.

What do you feel are some challenges for the board?

I think currently I may be the youngest active poster at the ripe age of 30. I know a few folks are in the ballpark but there's still about a 6 or 7 year age gap. I do find common ground with most everybody here though.  The conversations tend to lean towards silver age material which I haven't read a whole lot of. What I have doesn't always work for me. I tend to enjoy the newer comics so at times there's not a whole lot of discussions for me to participate in. I do enjoy reading the silver age posts and learning something even though I don't have much to contribute.

John, thank you.  My main problem is that I read so few new comics and have just cancelled another 2.  Also, it would concern me if, as Mike Parnell says, contributors should not write anything against a creator.  There are a number of creators, ancient and modern, who do, or have done, no great service to comics.  As you can easily see from my earlier comments, I'm not a fan of Morrison or Millar and that for a number of reasons.  But then again, I find Alex Ross drawn material to be boring at times with the continual use of the same faces and poses - good illustrator but does he tell a seamless comic story?   Is this the sort of view that is against the site's policy? 

As for the age profile of contributors on here, it not only applies to Captain Comics.  I'll be at a small comic mart in Glasgow tomorrow and, from previous experience, I can safely say that there will be a preponderance of older males, both dealers and punters.  It sometimes feels that when people my age and a bit younger shuffle off this mortal coil, there'll be hardly any fans left and certainly only a tiny part of that rump who will have a clue who Alex Toth is, or Steve Ditko.  Actually, despite being in the UK, young fans of the hobby don't know anything about Dudley D Watkins or Eric Parker. 

How sites such as this approach and deal with the problem of recruiting new members is a real problem but I feel that here folk can chat about new and SA comics, which younger readers will know about.  And it is a plus that folk can chat about X-Men but there are so many other places, not so reputable, where that can be done. Getting them to behave online might be a problem, though.  The attraction on DCM and comicbookplus is more about the comics they can read and download and most new member contribute very little to the discussions.  On comicsuk, I think the age profile is also older and most discussions there centre on British and Euro comics, being somewhat obscure to many younger or non-British fans.

How does the site go about improving its rankings?  And do you have links on other comics sites?  Have any of the admin put up a link on CB+?  There is a section for blatant self publicity.

On a more positive note, I have learnt some stuff since raking through the posts here and that is a good thing.  There's always so much more to discover.  I'll keep plodding on here but I would like to be able to criticise creators if I feel their work deserves it.  After all, we pay their wages.

Stephen, what you've said above is fine. 

Here's an illustration:

a) I really don't like Art Monkey's work. I find it staid and boring.

b) Art Monkey is a talentless idiot.

Statement a is fine. Statement b is not.

Nonsense! Art Monkey is a talented idiot! His artwork on Captian Litterassy was legendary! His writing, not so much...

The key to attracting members might be to make sure potential new members can find discussions of comics which are current. The forum which is currently dedicated to such discussion is the Reviews forum, and currently only the Captain starts threads in it. Does the Captain wish it to remain a forum that only he starts threads in, or would he like others to use it the same way? If the latter, would it perhaps be a good idea to retitle it something like "Current Comics Reviews", and move it to the top of the forum list?

It might be useful to new members if we made more use of tags in the initiatory posts of threads. There is no time limit for editing initiatory posts, so tags can be added any time. I was just having a look to see how they work. I found the system automatically puts in a comma if you leave a space (e.g. <Fantastic Four> becomes <Fantastic, Four>), which one can overcome by running the words together (<FantasticFour>), and that it was tricky editing the tags through "Add Tags" but easy to do so through "Edit Discussion".

You can also put the words in quotes, I believe, to group them in tags. "Fantastic Four" for example.

Thanks. That works, and is surely the better way of doing it.

Tagging seems like a good idea, but what's the purpose of it? Is it to help the internal search engine, or will it get posts noticed on a Google search?

If you click on the tag you get a list of threads with that tag, which could help people find threads they want.

Tag.  You're it....

Personally I wouldn't mind talking more about new comics. 

Same here. I think the "This Week's Comics" thread is a good start. But it's only a start.

Randy Jackson said:

Personally I wouldn't mind talking more about new comics. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service