Bob Saget RIP

Bob Saget found dead at 65

It's interesting. I'm sure that most here were like me--aware of Full House, but without it having any sort of major impact on my life. I remember watching a handful of episodes and understanding that it wasn't for me. I'm guessing a lot of people ftom my generation feel the same way.

However, I was just on a social media site where I do follow a njmber of milennials(including my niece) and there's a massive outpouring of grief. I'm guessing the impact is greater depending on your generation. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I dimly remember him from as the America's Funniest Home Videos guy.  Don't think I ever saw Full House.

• My view tracks with Randy's. I hardly ever watched Full House and didn't think much of it when I did. But for those people who love it, God bless them.

I think Full House was to a certain generation the way The Brady Bunch was to a different one. Hence, the outpouring of grief.

As for Bob Saget himself, I also didn't think a lot about him. But I was aware that after Full House, he was involved less with acting and more with stand-up comedy -- and in his stand-up act, he was willfully raunchy and tried hard to distance himself from the image of the goofy sitcom dad. Whatever floats your boat, dude. 

• I may have watched a couple of episodes over the years. I think syndication has caused older shows like this to be watched and adored by kids long after they originally aired. Depending on their ages when starting to watch a show it will be close to their hearts. 

• I never watched Full House either. Or America's Funniest Home Videos. I was only vaguely aware of Bob Saget's existence. But for the second time recently, a comedian who was very popular with other comedians moreso than the general public has died, and there has been an outpouring of grief from his peers. (The first was Norm MacDonald.) Or am I misinterpreting?

• Full House started when I was still in junior high, so while I didn't watch it every week, I did watch it for the first 2-3 seasons. I was a huge consumer of stand-up on cable, so I was already familiar with Bob Saget. I remembered John Stamos from the TV show he did earlier with Jack Klugman, and I knew Dave Coulier from the TV show Out of Control, which aired on Nickelodeon.

Since it was part of ABCs TGIF programming, once high school hit I hardly, if ever, watched it, since I was never home on Friday nights.

All that being said, I did like Full House when I watched it. It wasn't the best, but there were definitely worse shows. I also always enjoyed Bob Saget's stand-up.

• Captain Comics said:

I never watched Full House either. Or America's Funniest Home Videos. I was only vaguely aware of Bob Saget's existence. But for the second time recently, a comedian who was very popular with other comedians moreso than the general public has died, and there has been an outpouring of grief from his peers. (The first was Norm MacDonald.) Or am I misinterpreting?

I'd say Norm MacDonald was very popular with other comedians moreso than the general public -- his public persona was being a prickly, arrogant jerk -- but there is genuine public affection for Bob Saget and his persona as the genial goofy dad from Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos*. Plus, he was the voice of How I Met Your Mother throughout its run.

* I never watched America's Funniest Home Videos. A collection of pratfalls and people getting bit by animals isn't funny, it's tiresome.

• People who actually knew him all say he was a fine, compassionate person.

• I see the distinction. And you described MacDonald perfectly. I always felt like he was contemptuous of his audience, which included me. As you say, probably just a persona. He was probably more personable among other comedians, and they apparently valued his ability to stretch out a joke and kill air time.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Captain Comics said:

I never watched Full House either. Or America's Funniest Home Videos. I was only vaguely aware of Bob Saget's existence. But for the second time recently, a comedian who was very popular with other comedians moreso than the general public has died, and there has been an outpouring of grief from his peers. (The first was Norm MacDonald.) Or am I misinterpreting?

I'd say Norm MacDonald was very popular with other comedians moreso than the general public -- his public persona was being a prickly, arrogant jerk -- but there is genuine public affection for Bob Saget and his persona as the genial goofy dad from Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos*. Plus, he was the voice of How I Met Your Mother throughout its run.

* I never watched America's Funniest Home Videos. A collection of pratfalls and people getting bit by animals isn't funny, it's tiresome.

This reply was deleted.