Booster Gold...Initial Opinions

I've been making my way through Showcase Presents: Booster Gold for the second time (nothing earth-shattering, but fun ad solid all the way), and I was struck by something, and I was wondering how others felt about this at the time.

As I recall, when the comic was first introduced, the entire premise left me completely cold.  Heck, I thought it was a comic about a race car driver.  I had zero interest, and thus I never really encountered the character until a handful of years ago (within the last ten, I'd say).

Was anyone else entirely disinterested at the time of his introduction?  Did anyone else discover him late and start really enjoying what was going on?  I'm honestly just curious.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sign me up. I didn't much care for it from the get-go.

The character was a jock, which I can't relate to. And he was a thief/gambler, and I couldn't tell if he regretted his actions, or if he just regretted getting caught -- and, again, i couldn't relate. Also, he wasn't very bright, and I have little interest in dull-witted characters, who are unlikely to surprise or amuse me (unless they stop being dull-witted, or they are Groo). The loudmouth, attention-seeking behavior wasn't a plus, either.

In short, he was very much like a lot of people I didn't like in high school, and I was not in a hurry to spend a lot of time with him. Sure, he was trying to redeem himself, and I applaud that. But I wasn't necessarily interested in watching.

I am mildly enjoying the current title, mainly for the supporting characters and the time-travel angle. But the scripts have to be top-notch to keep me reading, because I still don't much care for the character.
  • I read three or so issues, and flicked through a few others. I liked the first issue I bought, #12, but found the other issues I read a bit on the tepid side. At the time if I was going to spend money on a comic I wanted it to be super-duper extra special.
  • I figured that Booster Gold was DC's first shot at a post-crisis super hero title, and I read it as a character starting out as a jock and a jerk... which turned me off. But I saw the direction the title was going... turning this character into a hero, development and character growth and all that... and between that and the Dan Jurgens art, I didn't mind it.

As for the new title, I'm dropping it now that Dan Jurgens is off the book. As a writer, Keith Giffen makes a good dogcatcher. I gave it a few issues, but there's nothing to it except a desperate try to get back to "bwah ha ha", or so it seems to me. Giffen, to me, is definitely someone whose art deteriorated after he started being a writer... and his writing wasn't very good either. Shucks, he was "maturing" as an artist on Legion of Super-Heroes and that work kept getting worse and worse. I ain't payin' four bucks a month for something I don't like, that's for damn sure. (Only three bucks, come January? Back up to four bucks by August, I predict...)

ELS
  • Eric L. Sofer said:
    As a writer, Keith Giffen makes a good dogcatcher. ELS

Agreed. I've read enough of Giffen's work that I droppped it as soon as Jurgens was off the book.
  • I've been with this incarnation of Booster Gold, the title, since issue one. I never took notice of Booster Gold the character back in the day, and I read most of the "bwah-ha-ha" Justice League International after the fact.

I liked the premise of the current title, but I confess I'm sticking with it mostly through inertia, as the "bwah-ha-ha"-ness is rather tiresome. I may not stick around once the currently plotline wraps up.
  • IIRC, the first Booster Gold story I ever read was when the character crossed over into John Byrne's Action Comics. It was either that or his first appearance in the post-Legends Justice League, whichever came first. Later, after Dan Jurgens became "hot" on Superman, I picked up the entire run of Booster Gold at a quarter sale, but haven't read them yet.
  • Booster, as it was noted, was DC's first major Post-Crisis super-hero but even then his origin was in a state of flux. Originally, the Legion flight ring he wore was supposed to be Superman's from his Superboy days. Then it was established that Superman was neither Superboy nor in the Legion, necessitating a Legion guest spot in Booster Gold #8-9.
    There Brainiac 5 has to leave behind 30th century technology like his flight ring and force field belt in the 20th century so Booster could *appropriate* them in the 25th century. Simple, yes?

He was given the opportunity to succeed, being based in Metropolis and joining the new Justice League. His desire for fame, fortune and adulation was tempered with his quest for redemption and respect, from others and, more importantly, himself. This was evident in his rapport with Skeets, an under-rated character on its own, and the arrival of his sister as Goldstar.

Unfortunately the series itself ended with #25, so this current one, no matter what happens later, is already more successful. And he matured alot. He's still a little vain, dense and goofy but that's OK!
  • I read an issue of the original (I don't remember what issue) off the shelves one time, and then I found the first 6 issues for a couple of bucks at a convention, and that was enough for me of that series. I liked him okay in the Justice League, but had no interest in reading the new adventures that he has going now.
  • I was in high school when that first issue hit, I think, and I loved the concept of the self-promotional super hero. He was the "reality show" super hero before that genre really kicked off with MTV's Real World. We knew he would eventually grow and change and that was fun to watch. It also helped that he became a member of the revamped Justice League that was so beloved. I was, though, turned off by the reveal of the Manhunter in the cast. That whole hidden Manhunter in every heroes supporting characters thing was awful.

Coming from a small high school, many of my friends were jocks even though I wasn't. Hell, I had friends who were geeks AND jocks.

He continues to be a fun character and a great comedic foil for Batman on the Brave and the Bold animated series.
  • I read the JLI pretty much as it was being published, and it was impossible to find Booster Gold and Blue Beetle on the newsstands. It was only years later that I managed to grab both series and read them straight through.
    "Blue Beetle" was pretty dull from start to finish. It was a very straight-as-an-arrow superhero tale, and not a very good one.
    "Booster Gold" on the other hand threw out all sorts of interesting ideas, and I really enjoyed it. It was the kind of book that really made me want a deeper exploration of his life and mysteries -- even beyond the JLI version of him.
    When "52" started taking shape, I was thrilled. They had really pulled things together, and told the ultimate tale for Booster Gold.
    The modern "Booster Gold" started off great -- I liked that it addressed some of Booster's personal issues and desires. That was good for a while, but I kind of got tired of it. I followed through the first two or three Giffen issues, and then it fell victim to my budget.
    It was pretty much immediately replaced by "Justice League Generation Lost," which I really love. Sure, it once again focuses on an intensely personal concern for Booster, but at least the writers have an entire team to work with.
    I may return to Booster's solo title sometime, but for now I don't particularly miss him as a solo star.
    -----------------------------
    Now I can also say that while I disliked Blue Beetle's 1980s series, I still would love to see him in a solo title again. I think Jaime is a great character, and supported his book til the end, but I just like Ted better -- from his look to his gadgets to his personality. I think he'd have a great shot if the right writer figured out just how to tell his story. (And I would say the best way is to make him a Batman Lite ... almost like the 1960 Batman TV show, but with Blue Beetle in the starring role.)
This reply was deleted.