We were talking about Johnny and Sue in the FF thread and I thought about Wanda and Pietro and the difference between them.  Sue was protective of Johnny sometimes, but she never considered him her property as I often felt that Peitro did with Wanda.  I don't know much about Booster Gold's relationship with his sister, I never read those issues that much, but I can't think of that many more brother/sister superhero or supervillain pairings in one title or even across comic book title lines.  Anyone else know of some?

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember her, the character worked well at the time since she was depicted as sort of a love interest for Tony but was far more down to Earth and less of a supermodel than everyone else that I'd seen him with.
I didn't think of Power Pack too much because I never read them too much. I was mostly thinking of the difference of dynamics between Pietro and Wanda and Johnny and Sue. Similiar situations in some ways but vast differences in others. From the start Pietro treated his sister as if she were made of glass while Johnny and Sue seemed to enjoy a better relationship. I could never see Sue tolerating one moment of Peitro's attitude toward Wanda from Johnny.  I think it was a good step in their relationship when Pietro quit the Avengers when she married the Vision.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Well, they started out as civilian employees of Tony Stark, but there was Morley and Clymenestra Irwin in Iron Man back in the '80s. Morley and Clymenestra were super geniuses who worked for Stark International and followed Stark to his new enterprise, Circuits Maximus, after Obadiah Stane took over Stark's companies. 

Stane bombed Circuits Maximus, and Morley Irwin was killed. A grieving Clymenestra blamed Stark and gave AIM information about his arsenal of armors, specifically requesting that they kill Stark while they were at it. However, she herself got killed. 

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

From the start Pietro treated his sister as if she were made of glass while Johnny and Sue seemed to enjoy a better relationship.

I think Stan and other writers were depicting an old-school Italian family mindset of protecting the helpless "female" (as Stan calls them). Possibly this was Stan's mindset too. IIRC they didn't start out with the name Maximoff. They were just Pietro and Wanda, with the implication that they were from Italy.

A slight tangent--has anyone else noticed that 'prickly' has become Pietro's personality over the years? He was always irritable, but at the same time he was more balanced as a character back when he was first in the Avengers, and with the brotherhood as well.

TV Tropes calls it Flanderization, but it's older than The Simpsons. Characters in long-running series tend to become, in the hands of hacks, exaggerated parodies of their most distinctive characteristics (See Big Bang Theory, Happy Days' Fonzie, and every superhero ever)

Randy Jackson said:

A slight tangent--has anyone else noticed that 'prickly' has become Pietro's personality over the years? He was always irritable, but at the same time he was more balanced as a character back when he was first in the Avengers, and with the brotherhood as well.

Rory and Pandora from ClanDestine, along with their other siblings.

I always thought that it was a contest between him and Hawkeye to see who could be the most short tempered.

Randy Jackson said:

Both Wanda and Sue started out as fairly passive and worked their way past it.  I don't know if that was intentional or not on the writers part or just the way society itself evolved.

Richard Willis said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

From the start Pietro treated his sister as if she were made of glass while Johnny and Sue seemed to enjoy a better relationship.

I think Stan and other writers were depicting an old-school Italian family mindset of protecting the helpless "female" (as Stan calls them). Possibly this was Stan's mindset too. IIRC they didn't start out with the name Maximoff. They were just Pietro and Wanda, with the implication that they were from Italy.

Cannonball & Husk are brother & sister, from the New Mutants & Generation X respectively.  They had a winged brother whose name escapes me at the moment, who was dead the last time I looked, and a super-strong sister in the Age of Apocalypse timeline, who I don't recall showing up with powers in the 616.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service