This is a continuation of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer thread I started over on the “old board” last April. Alan and Mike convinced me that the show’s move from the WB to the UPN and the start of season six is a logical time to move this discussion to the board’s new home. For those of you who might be new to the discussion, I am in the process of watching this series, start to finish, for the first time. I don’t provide much in the way of recap because I’m working under the assumption that most of you reading this thread have at least a passing familiarity with the series. The ground rules of this discussion are simple: I can (and will) spoil anything I want to, but you can’t spoil anything I haven’t seen yet. Ready? Okay, let’s begin.

SEASON SIX: EPISODES 1/2: “BARGAINING—PARTS 1/2”

I actually don’t have much to say about the two-part season opener. Most of it was spent resetting Buffy’s apparent death at the end of season five. Shouldn’t her death have triggered a new Slayer to have been called up? Judging from the opening credits it looks as if Giles is going to be out of the cast on a permanent (or at least semi-permanent) basis. I’m really enjoying the development of the “relationship” between Buffy and Spike thoughout last season and into this one. Apparently even vampires are subject to classical conditioning!

Views: 530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These stories (especially the four-parters) really do read like episodes of the TV series. I don’t know if this 4-1, 4-1 pattern is going to continue throughout the run, but alternating the length of stories adds variety and alters the pace for the comic book “season” (which I’m guessing will end with the defeat of “Twilight”); television must conform to a strict one-hour format (for the most part), but comics have no such inherent restriction.

I agree. I like that the comic book series varies the length of its stories. It's one of the things that I mentioned in my recent Buffy vs. Farscape Fluit Notes blog post.
I know... I swiped it from ya. ;)
SEASON EIGHT: ISSUE #10: “ANYWHERE BUT HERE”

Some stories work better in comics, some work better on television. This one, I think, would be better suited for TV. The story itself is comprised of a plot, a sub-plot and scenes in which Willow and Buffy share personal fantasies with each other, as well as flashback sequences. The scenes move back and forth between and among these elements, from plot to fantasy to plot to sub-plot to flashback in a staccato which can be confusion to read. The trick is not to read it, but to view it, i.e., try to experience like a TV show.

When abrupt changes such as these occur in a comic book, I tend to say, “Huh?” and flip back a page or two to reread the sequence. On TV, however, I would take it like it comes in the belief that it will all become clear soon and sort it all out in my mind later. Ultimately, that’s what I had to do while reading this chapter, too. Reviewing the main plot and ignoring the sub-plot / flashback / fantasy elements, the story is really quite straightforward: Buffy and Willow visit a demon to learn more about the Twilight organization.

One cannot completely ignore the other aspects of the story, of course. One of them this issue, for example, reintroduces Kennedy (after a fashion), by way of explaining why she isn’t an active part of the Slayer organization (at least not yet). In the sub-plot, the secret behind Dawn’s condition is also revealed this issue.

That’s it for the second tpb collection. I’ll buy volume three tomorrow and return to this discussion in a couple of days.
There is a sad story behind the 'guardian/demon/seer' lady that grants phrophecies to Buffy.

Did the TPB refer to it?

Basically there was a competition to appear in an upcoming issue of Buffy. A woman called Robin Balzar's husband wrote that his wife was a great fan of Buffy, but was sadly succumbing to very severe schizophrenia.

Whedon wrote a much larger role for her likeness than they originally intended.

The story is told on this CBR page

Strong stuff for a fantasy comic.
Figserello said:
Did the TPB refer to it?

Sadly, no. The tpb collections have a definite lack of editorial content. Thanks for posting the link, Figs. That was a moving story, particularly how Whendon was able to work the woman's schizophrenia itself into the plot, using the fiction of the story to account for her condition in reality.

While I’m waiting to buy/read the third collection, I thought I’d comment further on the Willow/Kennedy relationship which was reintroduced in issue #10. I like Kennedy fine as a character and as a Slayer, but I don’t like her so much as Willow’s lover. Perhaps it’s the romantic in me, but I think Tara was Willow’s soul mate, and I’m reluctant to see her with anyone else. That’s not to say I don’t want her to ever move on with her life and find happiness, but she bisexual and I’d like to see end up with Oz, her other soul mate.
The editorial content is the best reasons to by the single issues. Which is odd, considering for most Darkhorse's products that we buy (Hellboy, BPRD) we get tpb because of all the are vastly superior to the extra materials they often include. But the letter columns and the comments by Allie in the single issues have been great, and I never miss reading them.

As to Kennedy. I get you. I didn't like the Kennedy relationship in season 7 except as rebound relationship. The fact that it is still very around and current when the series opens was sort of surprising to me.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Figserello said:
Did the TPB refer to it?

Sadly, no. The tpb collections have a definite lack of editorial content. Thanks for posting the link, Figs. That was a moving story, particularly how Whendon was able to work the woman's schizophrenia itself into the plot, using the fiction of the story to account for her condition in reality.

While I’m waiting to buy/read the third collection, I thought I’d comment further on the Willow/Kennedy relationship which was reintroduced in issue #10. I like Kennedy fine as a character and as a Slayer, but I don’t like her so much as Willow’s lover. Perhaps it’s the romantic in me, but I think Tara was Willow’s soul mate, and I’m reluctant to see her with anyone else. That’s not to say I don’t want her to ever move on with her life and find happiness, but she bisexual and I’d like to see end up with Oz, her other soul mate.
Yes, a rebound relationship... exactly.

I bought the third season eight tpb yesterday but haven't started reading it yet. The cover artist (of the issues contained within) is really good. I can see a little of both Steve Rude and Alex Ross in his work. Flipping through it, I think I saw something I shouldn't have. My bad.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Yes, a rebound relationship... exactly.

I bought the third season eight tpb yesterday but haven't started reading it yet. The cover artist (of the issues contained within) is really good. I can see a little of both Steve Rude and Alex Ross in his work. Flipping through it, I think I saw something I shouldn't have. My bad.

If you're talking about Jo Chen...the artist is a she... ;)
I don't know the artist's name, but I'll take your word for it; it's not that I thought "Jo" was a guy.

Ahem... "The cover artist is really good. I can see a little of both Steve Rude and Alex Ross in her work."
I overheard somebody two rows over, here - she's a big Twilight fan - discussing whether if a baby got vampirized, would they stay a baby or would they grow like a mortal. Vampire babies - that's a pretty creepy thought.
The Baron said:
I overheard somebody two rows over, here - she's a big Twilight fan - discussing whether if a baby got vampirized, would they stay a baby or would they grow like a mortal. Vampire babies - that's a pretty creepy thought.

And what if their teeth hadn't come in yet?
There's a vampire child (of about six years) who which does not age in Anne Rice's vampire mythos (played by Kirstin Dunst in the movie version, IIRC).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 2 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up for the Final Issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE out on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service