Go here:

http://www.tcj.com/?p=1069

Really nice. I daresay our Captain has done more for sharing a love of comics with the masses than this pretentious, elitist, pompous windbag, Heidi MacDonald at The Beat linked to it by saying "Now that's more like it", which was disappointing; I thought more of Heidi than that.

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is disappointing but lets not return the favor of personal attacks and instead answer back with our customary civility...
I saw that this morning in the office. I'm not surprised to see that coming from The Comics Journal; what was startling was that it received a excited recommendation from Heidi MacDonald. I can't see how anybody who could herself to be a professional journalist would find that childish attack on Cap to be insightful criticism in any way.
I've never read this TCJ. I prefer more intellectual fare, like Wizard.
I can't read it. I get an Apache Software page instead.
Try this, Luke, it's a link to the article at the Beat, just look for (ugh) "Now that's more like it!"

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2009/12/11/kibbles-n-bits-1...

Luke Blanchard said:
I can't read it. I get an Apache Software page instead.
One would think that a college professor, with a number of degrees from an Ivy League university, would be able to express his views in a more mature manner.
Thanks, John. The Publishers Weekly link works for me, but no Comics Journal link does.
Many of The Comics Journal's writers keep their noses in the air when it comes to superhero comics. They're rather like those people who "don't own a television."
Sigh. Very unprofessional.
"One would think that a college professor, with a number of degrees from an Ivy League university . . . ."

Unfortunately---as I have learnt all too well in my life---academic credentials are no guarantee of civility. Certainly not in this instance.
I would make a comment about it, but I refuse to read such vitriol, to give someone another page hit. It's like when someone tastes the milk, makes a face, and asks you to taste it and see if it it sour. No thanks, I trust you...
Commander Benson said:
"One would think that a college professor, with a number of degrees from an Ivy League university . . . ."
Unfortunately---as I have learnt all too well in my life---academic credentials are no guarantee of civility. Certainly not in this instance.

Agreed, Commander. Education is no guarantee of civility.

I won't read this article, either. I read one issue of The Comics Journal many years ago. I was so put off by the snooty attitude that I never spent any money on it again.

John D, you make a good point...these folks think that anything that is made for a mass audience is nothing but, in the words of Colonel Potter, horse hockey. A lot of it is, but I think our Captain knows a good comic when he sees it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"On a long airplane ride, I caught a movie I somehow failed to make it to the theaters to see on the…"
32 seconds ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"An old-time fairground/carnival/midway attraction takes an unexpected turn:"
47 minutes ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"Oh, and then there's "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," because I was in kindergarten…"
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Marvel Comics in November 2022
"MOVIES, ETC. ALIEN #3 PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON (W) • JULIUS OHTA (A) • Cover by BJÖRN…"
5 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Marvel Comics in November 2022
"INDIVIDUAL TITLES ADAM WARLOCK OMNIBUS HC KANE COVER ADAM WARLOCK OMNIBUS HC STARLIN COVER [DM…"
5 hours ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
5 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Marvel Fanfare
"I love Brent Anderson's art. When you said this was a wrap-around cover, GCD doesn't have…"
9 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #139: Swamp thing has apparently withdrawn into himself again after the loss of Abby…"
9 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #138: An all-out battle erupts. I'm not sure when Sunderland's head became…"
9 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman - "Season of Mists"
"Makes sense that Peter David would remember his own pun. I, however, did not, even having read that…"
9 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Archie in November 2022: Wouldja believe: Bob Phantom?
""Can everyone manage to avoid Jinx’s wave of unfortunate events, or will they all end up…"
9 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service