Initial reaction: I like it. A lot.  I liked the characterization and the way the picture nodded to comics continuity, without slavishly following it.  I thought Spider-Man was well-presented. (I've not seen any of the other Spider-Man pictures, so I can't compare and contrast.)  I did like that Stark had presence enough to pull him back when he'd done enough, rather than risk him getting badly hurt or killed. I've never been a big Black Panther fan, but I thought the character was well-done here.

Zemo was kind of weak as a villain, though, although he did have a good motivation.  

The battle was pretty cool, I thought.

It was a good picture, although it left me wishing I'd seen the Winter Soldier and Ant-Man pictures. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have just watched the film.
    I LOVED it!
    I actually way preferred it to the Civil War comics - Tony Stark comes over so much better in the film!
    Spider-Man was perfect! At Last they've got the humour right!
    (Aunt May was all wrong however!)
    Fantastic Ant -Man stuff!
    Black Panther was incredible and yet among all these characters the film remained Captain America/Winter soldier Act 3.

I liked it. A Lot.

• I had no problem with Aunt  May, I thought she was a nice change from the way she was always presented in the comics.

• It was such a huge departure from the Batman Vs. Superman movie.

One thing, Marvel has taken the time to develop these characters.  One of the things that DC has not is much character development.  Which makes the interaction in the Marvel movies much more natural and fluid. 

Secondly, the battle scenes were put together and executed so well.  This movie had the guts to shoot all of the main battle scene in daylight.

As to the introduction of the new characters, Spiderman and Black Panther, both were done in such a way that I wanted to see more of each.  This makes me want to see their respective movies when they appear.

Marvel has put together a universe where there are consequences to each new story based on the last story.  Each movie takes us deeper and deeper into its larger larger story and because it does it makes those of us that love these movies foaming at the mouth to see the next one. 

• I thought it was really good. It was packed with story and action. I thought Black Panther and Spider-Man were introduced really well.

Mike Parnell Johnson is right--each movie builds upon the ones that have come before and the characters' histories with each other just accumulate.

•   Just like the DC stuff that used to run on Cartoon Network.  

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I thought it was really good. It was packed with story and action. I thought Black Panther and Spider-Man were introduced really well.

Mike Parnell Johnson is right--each movie builds upon the ones that have come before and the characters' histories with each other just accumulate.

• Baron, I also liked that Stark had the sense to tell Spider-Man that he was done. It reminded me quite a bit of coaching a kid in karate who had taken a big blow to the head and is dizzy, and having to tell him to stand down and that he didn't get to finish his fight. It rang incredibly true. The only difference is that a sixteen year old who is told he can't finish his fight while he's already jacked up is not nearly as compliant as Peter Parker became after a second! I thought that was really well-done.

• I loved it, top to bottom. I especially appreciated that the movie did a much better job than the comics of justifying Iron Man's position (and the Sokovia Accords themselves). I'm still on Team Cap, but Iron Man's no supervillain in this. And what he learns at the end shocked me (and is really heartbreaking for all involved).

•   Well I'm glad that Tony isn't the super villain he was in the comics, I didn't think he would be.  That's the advantage of doing something the second time; you can see mistakes.  Still won't be able to afford to see it until it hits the discount box, but I'm glad the movie split from the comics.

• I really enjoyed it.  This really could have been a mess, but each character got a moment to shine.  I loved how Cap's "No, YOU move" speech was incorporated into the film.  Wasn't expecting that.

I didn't miss either Thor or the Hulk...while I don't dislike them, they're my least favorite of the MCU Avengers.

This is also the first Marvel movie in a while that seemed to have an ending, instead of being set-up for the next film.

My favorite part of the film:  Seeing Spider-Man finally done right.  It's about time.

• Saw it over the weekend and enjoyed it. I'd say better than the first one and not as good as the second one. Fight scenes went on a bit too long and there were too many characters.  Iron Man and others suddenly became dumb in order to advance the plot. The Vision looks and sounds ridiculous. Loved the very Bendis-like Spider Man and would love to see more of Aunt May. (Never thought I would say that.)

I thought the Doctor Strange trailer looked really interesting. And the Star Wars Rogue One trailer has me hopeful that they made a Star Wars movie for grown ups. 

This reply was deleted.