Already a controversial subject, I read the new Catwoman #1 by Judd Winick and Guillem March and will agree that it's not a children's book but not entirely shocking.

Since her inception in the real Batman #1 in 1940, Catwoman has always been portrayed as overtly sexy and causing sexual tension with the Caped Crusader. It's part of her persona. I'm not mortified that she has a massive bra collection. And yes, she does flaunt her body. A lot. On every page. But that only backs up my point that this DCnU is merely the 1990s redone because that's when Selina Kyle's physical attributes maxxed out!

Is she still an ex-prostitute as Miller made her? Possibly, there's some implication of that but it's not a major issue. She obviously had a traumatic experience when she was younger. She speaks Russian fluently. Could she be Russian now? Or of Russian descent? Interesting given the high volume sex trade of the former Soviet Union. That may lead to more serious issues.

Did she kill the Renald creep? Or just sliced him up? Catwoman really can't kill anyone due to her closeness to Batman. And she is featured in the next Dark Knight film. But her rage is unstoppable and its effects should be explored.

We don't know who attacked her in the beginning but we do know that she no longer knows Batman's secret identity though she clearly knows him.

As for the last pages, I'm no prude and it's no worse than what you see on an 8 PM show but again there are repercussions and aftermaths to be considered. Has Batman ever captured Catwoman? Has she ever been arrested? Does he want her caught? Is she there for his convienence? He can find her but she can't find him. The fact that he seems "angry" and it never "takes long" speaks more on Batman's problems than hers.

Is Selina Kyle her own woman or has she become Batman's secret "kept" woman? To be hidden away but never become part of his life? I understand the concerns better now but will wait and see how or if they are resolved. As I said, Catwoman is in the new movie so DC will push her as a sex symbol/anti-hero but then again, that what they have always done!

Views: 529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Either way, I don't care.  I've never picked up the Catwoman book before, and I won't now, so they've neither gained nor lost a reader.  I really don't have time for a book about a character who looks at sexual conquest as empowerment no matter what the gender.

Capt. Comics said: "Her very nature is to be fiercely independent, and not conform to what others think she should do. Not society, not the bluenose mothers of America, and not Batman. She does what she wants. If that involves sex, so be it. If that involves theft, so be it. If that involves scams, so be it."

Question is: Why should we care about such a character? And why make her the protagonist of a monthly comic book, instead of a guest villain in Batman's book? There are warped people out there who probably find such traits very admirable. Heck, there are people out there who admire Charles Manson! (Hello, Axl Rose).

At least Frank Miller made clear in interviews that "Elektra is definitely one of the bad guys," and she met the fate she deserved. (I know she's been revived, but as far as Miller and I are concerned, she's been dead since 1982.)

I haven't read the book, so I can't really comment on the richness (or not) of Catwoman's portrayal. But I wanted to take a moment and single out Rich's "Batawang" as a neologism that deserves much wider usage. Way to go, Rich!

With all talk about Catwoman's behavior, and yes she clearly has no problem using her sexiness to get what she wants, I find it odd that no one has condemned Batman's behavior. It takes two to do the horizontal Batusi. He apparently has been giving Selina free rein to commit her thievery in exchange for getting his atomic batteries to power. He confronts her in an apartment that's not hers after she assaulted a man (regardless of the reason). It seems like that's their arrangement. I'll bet that has never come up at the monthly JLA meetings!

Ommission or future plotpoint: No Bat-condom.

Thanks!  I'm hoping it catches on.  Much like Bill Gates' email test, I get a quarter for each mention.

Rob Staeger said:
I haven't read the book, so I can't really comment on the richness (or not) of Catwoman's portrayal. But I wanted to take a moment and single out Rich's "Batawang" as a neologism that deserves much wider usage. Way to go, Rich!

Issue #2- The Bat and the Cat have clearly "enjoyed" their encounter, all but sharing a cigarette. This is nothing new. She says that they have done this "dance" before. She escapes but he's not trying.

A lot of sexy shots, a lot more violence as Selina instigates a mob war, leading to the death of Renald, much to her delight. And she does this in front of Bruce Wayne, who she now does not know is Batman.

There's a needless murder and Selina takes a beating. That makes me more uncomfortable than Spand-sex!

How is it that The Bat and the Cat did this "dance" with him keeping his pants on, I wonder ...?

Hey, he's Batman. He'll find a way.

Bat-velcro?

ClarkKent_DC said:

How is it that The Bat and the Cat did this "dance" with him keeping his pants on, I wonder ...?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service