"'Cause they taped it on only one day..." - NBC's The Sound of Music

...The NBC-TV remake of Rogers & Hammerstein's THE SOUND OF MUSIC as a " live play " production's airing is about one month in the past now , and I meant to post about it here before that ! But I didn't...

With 18 million viewers IIRC , it certainly qualified as " a hit " . NBC even repeated it a week-and-a-halfish later .

I saw it both times:-) .

It was meant to be a " TV play/live production " in the mode of the PLAYHOUSE 90/BELL TELEPHONE HOURs of yore , NBC claiming " For the first time in fifty years..." . I , myself , on the West Coast of the continguous 48 states of the USA (California) saw it as an immediate taped repeat , anyway , being 3 time zones to the west of the Eastern Time Zone , where it would have indeed shown live ~ along with the Central Time Zone .

The Mountain Time Zone , especially for such a " holiday special " as this , I am not so sure about . Anyone ?????

Has it shown outside of the U.S,. yet ~ I know we have Australian and Canadian residents here , others ???

Views: 3018

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another actor drops out: Andrea McArdle, the original Annie from the original Broadway production, was supposed to cameo as Eleanor Roosevelt, but her father has taken ill: "Andrea McArdle, Broadway's Original Annie, Steps Down from Role in Annie Live!

Somehow, we failed to talk about Annie Live! when it aired, although I did watch it and did enjoy it. To make up for that lapse, here's a review from Vulture: "The Highs, Lows, and Whoas of Annie Live!" I concur with much of this, but not all of it.

• These things tend to be a mix of the theater versions and the movie versions, although they tend to hew closer to the theater versions.
  • Likewise here, starting with casting a Black girl in the title role, as was done in the 2014 movie version. Celina Smith delivered, with a big, bold voice and lots of charm.
  • The collection of moppets they cast as Annie's fellow inmates at the orphanage were just great, full of energy and cuteness.
  • I thought Harry Connick Jr. was miscast as Daddy Warbucks. 
  • I loved Taraji P. Henson.
  • I liked Nicole Scherzinger, who really had to throw her all into those dance moves just to keep up with the kids from the opener.
  • This version stuck to the play in that Scherzinger's Grace Ferrell was Daddy Warbucks's secretary only, not a love interest. 
  • This version did not have the helicopter chase from the first movie (and all subsequent movie versions).
  • This version was also without Punjab (but I don't know how anyone could make that fly today). 
  • Not having seen the stage version, I can't say I was aware that this version restored two tunes that were cut for the movie, but I'm glad they put them back in, just because.
  • Corny as it was, I liked the meta moment of Daddy Warbucks declaring "Broadway is back!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
18 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion The New Season (2022)
"I gave a try to Quantum Leap, and I'm not totally sold but am willing to give it at least one…"
9 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion How's 'that' situation going now?
"One time I picked up some tests from my local library and each box had a sticker on it with the…"
9 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion How's 'that' situation going now?
"This time last month I had a hospital-administered COVID test prior to my August 30 out-patient…"
11 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
13 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
13 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Jeff of Earth-J said: I keep thinking what if DC stopped publishing the monthly series because they…"
14 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
14 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Meet the team... Easy Company "
14 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Here's a character that I don't usually associate with Joe Kubert."
16 hours ago
PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"Then there's the Italian gibberish song, "Prisencolinensinainciusol" by Adriano…"
16 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"Again, this is not a misheard lyric I prefer to the original, but I was just listening to Bruce…"
17 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service