Comics Guide for July 13, 2016

THE ADVENTURES OF DIETER LUMPEN

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer: JORGE ZENTNER

Art/Cover: RUBEN PELLEJERO

TPB • FC • $49.99 • 264 pages • 8.5” x 11”

The first English translation of the entire "Adventures of Dieter Lumpen" series, the most famous work of the Angoulême award-winning team of Jorge Zentner and Rubén Pellejero!

Dieter Lumpen is a man of the world, an adventurer who wants no part of adventure. Nonetheless, he is swept along to exotic locations from Turkey to the Caribbean, from China to Venice. He is not quite so hard-boiled as the typical adventure hero. As written by Zentner, Dieter’s irony is gentler, more subtle, more reflective, and more tongue-in-cheek than hard or bitter. Pellejero is quite simply one of Europe’s top comics artists, who was chosen for the plum job to illustrate the new adventures of Hugo Pratt’s Corto Maltese. Dieter Lumpen began in 1981 and continued until 1994.

This definitive omnibus collects all eight short stories and the three graphic novels with a foreword by Tim Sale.

The complete series—including all three graphic novels—in one book.

Did this type of globe-trotting, jack-of-all-trades, soldier of fortune really exist? There are so many of them in fiction, and their behavior and milieu so well defined, I wonder if this type of man was actually a thing. A lot of these kinds of strips are set between the world wars, so I wonder if the world-weary, cynical man-without-a-country type was created by WWI, much like the gunslinger/wanderer Western character was created by the Civil War and the relative lawlessness of Western territories. 

Food for thought. Anyway, I'll be all over this book, which looks like "Corto Maltese" on land.

AL WILLIAMSON’S STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK ARTIST’S EDITION (HC)

Writer: ARCHIE GOODWIN

Art/Cover: AL WILLIAMSON

HC • BW • $95.00 net discount item • 160 Pages • 15” x 22”

The legendary late artist Al Williamson’s Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back stories are collected in the award-winning Artist’s Edition format this April. Included will be the complete adaptation, first published in issues #39 through #44 of the monthly Marvel Star Wars comic. In addition, pages from Star Wars #50, #98 and the Star Wars: Return of the Jedi mini-series will also be presented. 

"Al loved drawing Star Wars,” said Williamson’s wife, Cori Williamson. “It’s a science fiction swashbuckler, the kind of story that really appealed to his sensibilities. As a lover and collector of classic comic-book and comic strip art, I think he would have been thrilled to see his work presented in this format."

Williamson’s classic run on Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back is legendary among fans of classic comic art. His heroic adventure style was perfectly suited for the Star Wars franchise—so much so that Williamson was George Lucas’ first choice for the "Star Wars" newspaper comic strip (which he would later go on to draw). 

Williamson began his storied career as one of the star artists at EC Comics in the 1950s. In the 1960s Williamson drew the definitive comic-book version of Flash Gordon, Alex Raymond’s classic comic strip creation. Other highlights of Williamson’s work include the "X-9: Secret Agent Corrigan" newspaper strip, as well as the "Star Wars" newspaper strip. He is an Eisner Award-winning artist and was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic-Book Hall of Fame in 2000.

“The collaboration between IDW and Marvel has produced some of the most exceptional collections of reprinted original comic book material ever to be offered,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Al Williamson’s Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Artist’s Edition of the original Marvel Comics film adaptation is a brightly glowing star within the galaxy of immaculate Star Wars content.”

George Lucas commented after Williamson’s passing in 2010, "I was thrilled to be able to have Al depicting those early extended Star Wars adventures for the comic books and newspapers. In capturing the actors who portrayed the characters, he brought the feeling of the films to the page as few other artists have been able to do."

This incredible Artist’s Edition will be a 160 page hardcover and measure a whopping 14”x21”. The Force is strong in this book, don’t you dare miss it!

This is the hardback you've been looking for!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

ASPEN UNIVERSE REVELATIONS #1

Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

Writers: JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV, J. T. KRUL

Art/Cover A: JORDAN GUNDERSON

Cover B: PETER STEIGERWALD

Cover C: SIYA OUM

The most groundbreaking event in Aspen Comics' history starts NOW!!!

For over thirteen years, devoted Aspen Comics fans have clamored for something special ... something unique ... something ... UNIMAGINABLE!

Aspen Comics has answered the call for loyal fans and new readers alike!

This summer, legendary creator Michael Turner's two greatest creations, FATHOM and SOULFIRE, unite as one in a crossover event so massive in scope, it can only serve to forge a BRAND NEW ASPEN UNIVERSE in the process! With the existence of humanity along with The Blue facing a catastrophic turning point for their own survival, one woman of both worlds, Aspen Matthews, must embark on a quest spanning not only time but also magic unlike any she's ever encountered -- including a cast of characters familiar to all Aspen -- and Soulfire -- fans! 

From the mind of Harvey, Eisner and Emmy Award nominated writer Joshua Hale Fialkov and New York Times Best-Selling author J.T. Krul comes this world-shattering new crossover series that sets the stage for all future Aspen Comics titles to come!

I have mixed feelings about the Aspen books. They were Michael Turner's babies, and really had no reason to exist outside of him and his fanbase. Now that he's gone, one part of me says they should be allowed to quietly fade away rather than support people he probably didn't even know. OTOH, an artist likes his work to live on, so maybe it's not entirely the ghoulish making-money-off-a-dead-man it looks like. But either way, an "Aspen universe" is kinda grandiose, given that I've heard of maybe two of these characters.

BLOODSHOT REBORN #15

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art by MICO SUAYAN

Cover A by TOMAS GIORELLO

Cover B by BEN OLIVER

Cover C by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

Interlocking Variant by RYAN BODENHEIM

Variant Cover by DARICK ROBERTSON

Variant Cover by JEFF LEMIRE

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

“BLOODSHOT ISLAND” – PART 2

Escape from BLOODSHOT ISLAND!

Live. Die. Rejuvenate. Each day, Bloodshot and his fellow castaways from Project Rising Spirit awake to find themselves hunted by the unstoppable engine of destruction called Deathmate. And each day, they die…only to begin their escape once more after the nano-technology inside them repairs their fatal injuries. As Bloodshot and his new teammates begin to understand the brutal logic behind their island prison, will the biggest threat to their survival be the horrors that await in the jungle around them…or each other?

New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (Old Man Logan) and superstar artist Mico Suayan (BLOODSHOT REBORN) lead the hunt for the secrets behind Bloodshot’s past and future here in the next unstoppable chapter of the summer’s electrifying Valiant blockbuster!

I read the first issue of this storyline, and it did exactly what it was supposed to do: It made me want to read the next issue. And if you haven't checked Mico Suayan's art yet, you owe it to yourself to do so. The guy's so incredibly detailed I don't understand how he can do a monthly book.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

BOULET'S NOTES VOL 1: BORN TO BE A LARVE (GN)

Publisher: SOARING PENGUIN PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: BOULET

$28.99

In 2004, Boulet's friends advised him to start a blog, a place to collect his reflections of everyday life. Based on entries in his sketchbooks, Notes is an on-going witty and inventive commentary on living in Paris, food (and sell-by dates), sex and the work of Mireille Mathieu, the French songstress. Volume 1 collects the entries from the first year, 2004.

Looks a bit narcissistic. But, hey, it's French. Allowances must be made.

BURNING FIELDS (TPB)

Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: MICHAEL MORECI, TIM DANIEL

Art/Cover: COLIN LORIMER

$29.99

What's to Love:  Just as Curse creators Michael Moreci, Tim Daniel and Colin Lorimer (along with Riley Rossmo) reinvented the werewolf tale, the trio's modern take on military horror in Burning Fields got under our skin.  A geopolitical drama with monster mythos, this is a story for both fans of Zero Dark Thirty and The Thing, as the team explores the evil that lurks when greed drives one to drill too deep into the unknown.

What It Is: Dana Atkinson, a dishonorably discharged army investigator, is pulled back to the Middle East when a group of American oil technicians disappear under bizarre circumstances. With the help of an Iraqi investigator, Dana discovers a series of unimaginable incidents at the drill site which have caused a mythic evil to be released, one that threatens both the lives of the entire region and the fragile peace that exists. Collects the complete limited series.

I don't get review material from BOOM!, so I can't say much about this. But the solicit is interesting.

CIVIL WAR CAVALCADE

There are eight Civil War books this week, plus a "Previews Magazine" that purports to give us a look at the post-Civil War II Marvel Universe (which we've already got some clues about). And as you can see from all the PR below, a lot of the changes are predicated on a big death coming in Civil War II #3, out this week. I hope your LCS is participating in the midnight release, because mine isn't!

MARVEL NOW! FREE PREVIEWS MAGAZINE

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Mark your calendars True Believers, because the next phase of the Marvel Universe is almost here – and you’ll get your first taste at 12:00 AM your local time on July 13th! To celebrate the dual release of the MARVEL NOW! PREVIEWS MAGAZINE and the blockbuster CIVIL WAR II #3 – Marvel is pleased to announce a midnight release for these two can’t miss books! Participating retailers may open Tuesday night and may also sell all other 7/13 Marvel titles at the midnight release.

Blockbuster new titles. Shocking new status quos. Top-tier creators. This is Marvel NOW!.

It all starts this Fall as the Marvel Universe charges forward into an ambitious new direction. As the industry’s top creators and hottest up-and-coming voices leave their mark on the world’s top Super Heroes, get ready for the most exciting and energetic comics on the stands! Prepare for all-new ongoing series, Earth-shattering status quo shifts, and an exciting new era of Marvel comics!

Kicking off this bold publishing initiative is the free MARVEL NOW! PREVIEWS MAGAZINE, coming to comic shops on July 13th! This free, standalone magazine is your first look at the cataclysmic fallout of Civil War II and the landscape of the Marvel Universe to come. Packed cover-to-cover with huge reveals, new titles, and fresh creative directions, the MARVEL NOW! PREVIEWS MAGAZINE is your very first look at the hottest upcoming titles of 2016!

“Marvel NOW! is about the future of the Marvel Universe,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “We’re excited to provide fans with a snapshot of things to come right before San Diego Comic-Con. Fans can look forward to hearing about brand new titles, returning favorites and even some shocking status quo shifts that are sure to keep fans guessing all the way through Civil War II. There has never been a better time to be a Marvel reader.”

Building upon our rich history with an eye towards tomorrow, Marvel NOW! marks the next evolution of Marvel Comics – and a thrilling leap forward. Be there as it all kicks off on July 13th! Run, don’t walk to your local comic shop to get your hands on the free MARVEL NOW! PREVIEWS MAGAZINE! The future is Marvel and it’s happening NOW!

Who will fall? That’s the question on everyone’s lips, as one of the biggest heroes in the Marvel Universe meets their end. Who is it and how will divide fans for years to come. It all happens in CIVIL WAR II #3 – and you can be one of the first to find out! How can the heroes of the Marvel Universe survive after the unthinkable happens? As the war escalates to new heights, the table is set for Marvel NOW!

CIVIL WAR II #3 (of 7)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art: DAVID MARQUEZ

Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Variant: MICHAEL CHO

Connecting B&W Virgin Variant D: KIM JUNG GI

Character Variant: PHIL NOTO

40 PGS. • RATED T+ • $4.99

This is the one everyone will be talking about! One of the biggest heroes in the Marvel Universe will fall! Who it is and how and why will divide fans for years to come. Will the heroes of the Marvel Universe survive the unthinkable happening? The fallout to this issue is enormous!

Plus – fans in attendance at midnight releases will have a chance to get their hands on the CIVIL WAR II #3 MIDNIGHT VARIANT. Debuting at the midnight release and polybagged to conceal the identity of the fallen hero, this variant cover features artwork by none other than Marvel CCO Joe Quesada!

Then, after the shocking events of Civil War II #3, its new ongoing series, new status quos and new characters! Packed cover-to-cover with huge reveals, new titles, creator interviews and more – pick up the free MARVEL NOW! PREVIEWS MAGAZINE! Exclusive to comic shops, this is your very first look at the hottest upcoming titles of the fall! Following the cataclysmic fallout of Civil War II, get a snapshot of into the Marvel Universe of tomorrow!

I'm not sure, but I think these promos Marvel has been sending out for a couple of weeks probably apply to Civil War II #3. I think if you squint just right, the top figures are more or less characters who got a big launch when "Marvel Now!" debuted, and the bottom figures are ones who come into play now. Maybe. Anyway, the art at bottom of shards of art can be assembled into a single image, but don't ask me to do it!

AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #7

Writer: MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art: GERMAN PERALTA

Cover by MIKE NORTON

CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!

32 PGS. • Rated T+ • $3.99

• The AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. are thrust into the middle of a war between heroes, and nothing will ever be the same for S.H.I.E.L.D. itself and for our beloved team.

• This arc will have lasting ramifications for Coulson and his intrepid agents.

CIVIL WAR II: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2 (of 4)

Writer: CHRISTOS GAGE

Art/Cover: TRAVEL FOREMAN

Variant: KHARY RANDOLPH

• Ulysses made a shocking prediction that someone in Spider-Man’s life would turn traitor… and it isn’t who you’d expect!

• The folks at Parker Industries already had one mole in their midst, another could destroy everything Peter’s worked to build!

• Good thing Peter’s got his old pal, Harry Osborn by his side, right? …Right?

CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES #2 (of 6)

Writers: DECLAN SHALVEY, JEREMY WHITLEY, BRANDON THOMAS

Art: DECLAN SHALVEY, MARCO RUDY & MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover by JIM CHEUNG & DECLAN SHALVEY

Variant: CHRISTIAN WARD

• A major loss sends shockwaves through the super hero community forcing everyone to reexamine their alliances…did they choose the right side?

• Featuring Nick Fury, War Machine and Tom Foster, a.k.a. Goliath!

CIVIL WAR II: GODS OF WAR #2 (OF 4)

Writer: DAN ABNETT

Art: EMILIO LAISO

Cover by JAY ANACLETO

Variant: ELIZABETH TORQUE

• A new Civil War is ripping through the Marvel Universe, but HERCULES has got problems of his own. There’s a threat that only he knows about, and all the heroes he knows are too busy to lend a hand.

• Time to get out his address book and call in some much older friends…ancient heroes of myth who will come to his aid. Introducing the mighty, mythological GODS OF WAR!

DEADPOOL #15

Writer: GERRY DUGGAN

Art: MIKE HAWTHORNE

Covers by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

Death of X VARIANT: TBA

Secret Comic Variant: SCOTT KOBLISH

32 PGS. • Parental Advisory • $3.99

CIVIL WAR II TIE-INS!

• The Mercs for Money hate Deadpool and want out!

• Wait ... isn’t there a new Mercs for Money series launching?

• How is that going to work?

• PLUS: In Deadpool #16, we finally find out how Deadpool became so popular!

NEW AVENGERS #13

Writer: AL EWING

Art: PACO MEDINA

Covers: JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Death of X Variant: TBA

32 PGS. •  Rated T+ • $3.99

• As CIVIL WAR II heats up, the Maker reveals his master plan for the Marvel Universe!

• And with A.I.M. in hiding from the forces of S.H.I.E.L.D. — it’s time for the New Revengers to strike!

• Plus: What’s wrong with Dum Dum Dugan? And what’s Songbird going to do about it?

POWER MAN AND IRON FIST #6

Writer: DAVID WALKER

Art: FLAVIANO ARMENTARO

Cover by SANFORD GREENE

Death of X Variant: TBA

CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!

• They’re off on a job — and it’s predicted to end with LUKE CAGE back in the place he hates most!

• The Marvel Universe has split in two — will the conflict split up POWER MAN and IRON FIST?

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

CONAN THE SLAYER #1

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Artist: SERGIO DAVILA

Colorist: MICHAEL ATIYEH, DAVE STEWART

Cover: LEE BERMEJO 

Variant: MARK SCHULTZ     

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Cullen Bunn writes Conan!

Alone, battle weary, and with nothing but his sword, Conan of Cimmeria faces his inevitable death in the arid wastes ... but instead stumbles into a camp of Kozaki raiders. With a knife at his throat and a band of Turanian hunters at his back, will the half-dead barbarian find a new ally in the Kozaki chief?

• Covers by Lee Bermejo and Mark Schultz!

• A new number one—a perfect jumping-on point for new readers!

DH launches a new title with a new storyline -- and a new writer, Cullen Bunn. He's one of my favorites, so I'm on board. If you liked the last series, you'll like this one.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

DOMINO LADY THREESOME #1

Publisher: MOONSTONE

Writers: NANCY HOLDER, BOBBY NASH

Colors: MARCO SANTIAGO

Cover: GLEN FERNANDEZ

$3.50

New York Times-bestselling author Nancy Holder brings us a new series of wild adventures of Domino Lady with two friends! Trouble Times Three! It's Coast to Coast action, adventure, romance, and intrigue as Pulp's #1 Adventuress, Domino Lady teams up with the Golden Amazon and The Veil to thwart a killer, stop a nefarious Nazi plot, and uncover mysterious happenings on big Hollywood movie set. When just one hero isn't enough, Domino Lady and her companions come together to get the job done.

Three hot blondes fighting the Nazis. What's not to like?

Incidentally, some of us have heard of Domino Lady, a pulp character revived by Moonstone in comics a few years back. But it turns out the Golden Amazon is a pulp character, too, from Canada. (And she's kind of a jaw-dropper!) I couldn't find a pulp character named The Veil, but I'd bet she existed, or The Veil is a loose swipe of some other femme fatale from the '30s or '40s. Anybody have any more info or guesses?

THE EIGHTH SEAL (TPB)

Writer: JAMES TYNION IV

Art/Cover: JEREMY ROCK

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 124 pages

First Lady Amelia Greene has been suffering from horrific visions—visions of herself transforming into something unnatural and bloodthirsty. As the hallucinations worsen, she seeks professional help, but this all must be kept secret for fear of a political scandal. While her husband and members of the White House staff grow increasingly concerned, Amelia learns those closest to her know more about these visions than they let on.

“The Eighth Seal is an impressive mixture of psychological/body horror and political thriller.” –ComicWow!

Looks like a combination of Rosemary's Baby and a political thriller. You know, if magic really existed, crap like this would happen all the time!

GUTTER MAGIC (TPB)

Writer: RICH DOUEK

Art/Cover: BRETT BARKLEY

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 120 pages

It's magic and mayhem in Manhattan, as Gutter Magic follows the story of Cinder Byrnes, who should be heir to a magical legacy, but can't cast a spell to save his life. When he finally tracks down a spell that can help him, he must figure out how to cast it before the necromantic crime lord he stole it from tracks him down. An epic, gritty urban fantasy adventure that takes place in an alternate-history New York, where long ago, World War II was fought with magic.

Gutter Magic is ferociously entertaining. The creative team on all accounts have done something marvelous in building this world and birthing its characters.” –Fanboys Inc.

Wow, "World War II was fought with magic" is a throwaway line! That ought to be the graphic novel, or a series of them! 

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

HORIZON #1

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: BRANDON THOMAS

Art: JUAN GEDEON & FRANK MARTIN

Cover: JASON HOWARD

32 PAGES • FC • T+ • $2.99

Zhia Malen thought she’d fought her very last war, until she learned her planet was targeted for occupation … by a desperate world called Earth. The people of Earth will be told that her arrival on their planet means invasion; these are lies, this is retaliation.

Skybound’s newest original series by BRANDON THOMAS (The Many Adventures of Miranda Mercury), JUAN GEDEON (Ghost Racers), and FRANK MARTIN (EAST OF WEST) will show you that survival isn’t just a human instinct.

Image has had such a terrific track record on new releases, I'll be sure to check this one out.

I AM LEGION (GN)

Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer: FABIEN NURY, JOHN CASSADAY

Art/Cover: JOHN CASSADAY

Mature • $19.95

Bram Stoker's Dracula meets Valkyrie! Amidst the chaos of WWII, the destinies of several men will cross through a project code-named "Legion," centering on a young Romanian girl with apparent supernatural abilities. Her "skills," if fully exploited by the Nazis, will give them unimaginable power! Includes bonus art gallery from multiple Eisner Award-winning artist, John Cassaday.

Hey, more Nazis. Can't have enough Nazis! Not only are they terrific villains, but they were really snappy dressers.

Anyway, the real surprise here for me is the presence of John Cassaday. I had no idea he did any work for Humanoids.

JUDGE DREDD CURSED EARTH SAGA UNCENSORED (HC)  

Publisher: REBELLION / 2000AD

Writers: JOHN WAGNER, PAT MILLS

Art: BRIAN BOLLAND, MIKE MCMAHON

$35.00

The complete story collected for the very first time! Mega-City One, 2100. This post-apocalyptic city of the future is blighted by overcrowding, poverty and misery. With each of the 400 million citizens a potential criminal, order is maintained by future lawmen known as the Judges who have the power to act as judge, jury, and executioner. A deadly plague developed during the brutal "Great Germ War" has reached the futuristic metropolis of Mega-City Two, located on the West Coast of the USA. Charged with delivering a life-saving vaccine to the citizens of the disease-ridden city, Judge Dredd and a small crew of Judges, war droids, and the lawbreaking biker, Spikes Harvey Rotten, must travel a thousand miles across the radioactive wasteland known as "the Cursed Earth."

By "uncensored," I'm guessing that this includes the sequences that satirized McDonald's and Burger King, which were dropped in other reprints because the burger giants objected.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

KONG OF SKULL ISLAND #1

Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: JAMES ASMUS

Art: CARLOS MAGNO

Cover: FELIPE MASSAFERA

$3.99

King Kong, world-famous and original gargantuan ape, is the progenitor of an entire genre, spawning sequels, remakes and countless other interpretations. You know Kong. You love Kong!

King Kong was created by Merian C. Cooper, and Kong of Skull Island is grounded in artist/author Joe DeVito's ground-breaking literary property Skull Island. This story is exclusively authorized and endorsed by the Cooper family as their official King Kong/Skull Island prequel and sequel origin story.

Two fractured and combative civilizations are forced to band together as they venture onto Skull Island -- their new home.

From All-New Inhumans writer James Asmus and Planet of the Apes artist Carlos Magno.

I've loved King Kong since I was a little kid and cried at the end of the 1933 film. But, as that film demonstrated, Kong wasn't much of a match for biplanes. He'd have zero chance against modern military weapons, which means there's pretty much only one way a Kong story can end: sadly.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

LADY DEATH: DAMNATION GAME #1

Publisher: COFFIN COMICS

Writers: BRIAN PULIDO, MIKE MACLEAN

Art: DHEERAJ VERMA

DAWN MCTEIGUE (Naughty, $40.00)

MARC SILVESTRI (Premium Foil, $25.00)

PAOLO PANTALENA (Standard, $7.99)

JENEVIEVE BROOMALL (Temptress, $7.99)

Mature Readers

Lady Death rescues an innocent boy dragged to Hell, inciting an ultra-violent quest into the depths of Damnation, a depraved city hosting "The Hades Engine", a contraption that can return the boy to earth. But Lady Death's actions bring her into direct conflict with the nefarious Hellwitch (1st appearance alert). Who will live? Who will die? With her return to Hell, Lady Death is public enemy number one, and you know what? She wouldn't have it any other way. Let the mayhem begin!

I'm including this because A) it's a first issue, and B) I didn't have enough gratuitous boobage this week.

LOVE ADDICT: CONFESSIONS OF A SERIAL DATER (TPB)

Writer/Art/Cover: KOREN SHADMI

Full-color softcover graphic novel with French flaps, 232 pages, $24.99 (U.S.), mature readers (18+)

Lonely? There's an app for that. Welcome to LOVE ADDICT:

"Koren Shadmi's Love Addict is a romp back to the great confessional comics of the 1990s and a trip up to the moment of mind-bending modern hi-jinx. So few comics find the sweet spot of sensational art, pitch-perfect dialogue, compelling characters and flawless storytelling. Shadmi nails all that, and much, much more." — Peter Kuper

"Skillful storytelling, an inviting cartoony style, and beautiful establishing shots all conspire to make Love Addict a deliciously compelling read." — Joe Matt

"It's shamelessly honest and beautifully rendered: a dark and engaging look at the sometimes troubling phenomena of the modern dating experience." — Joseph Remnant

Reeling after a breakup, young animator "K" is pushed by a friend to join the popular dating site Lovebug. His journey begins as a search for true love, but soon awakens a relentless craving for novelty and sexual conquest.

With the touch of a button, K embarks on a dating spree, browsing a digital marketplace of the flesh. Who can stop when Lovebug offers an endless stream of prospective mates, sorted by algorithms and stored on a distant server, ready on demand like TV episodes or Chinese takeout? And in the face of this addiction, can K hold on to his friends, his job, or even his humanity?

The acclaimed author of In the Flesh and The Abaddon presents an evocative tale of modern love ... in a world where even a strong signal can lead to a bad connection.

This description doesn't say much about the agency of the women involved. Are they just a series of interchangeable bed partners? Not cool, bruh.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

LOVE IN HELL DEATH LIFE VOL 1 (GN)

Publisher: SEVEN SEAS ENTERTAINMENT LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: REIJI SUZUMARU

Mature • $12.99

Utsunomiya Sousuke is dead. But his new life is about to begin -- in Hell! Upon awakening in the Afterlife, Sousuke meets his painfully sexy devil guide Sanagi, who may be short of stature, but packs an all-powerful punch. Like Rintaro before him, can the hopelessly irreverent Sousuke repent from his sins, or is he fated to be forever tortured and teased by a gorgeous demonic temptress?

"Tortured and teased by a gorgeous demonic temptress?" Please. Like we all haven't been there.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

MAYHEM AND MAGIC RELIQUARY SERIES #1

Publisher: JET CITY COMICS

Writers: ALEX DE CAMPI, SARAH FINE

Art/Cover: DENNIS CALERO

$2.99

Bestselling author Sarah Fine gives hard-boiled noir a magical edge in this stand-alone four-issue comic book adventure, where crime collides with conjuring in the spellbinding world of her Reliquary series. Freelance thief-for-hire Asa Ward's latest job is heisting a powerful magic relic from a gangster's lair. But what should be an easy payday quickly becomes larceny the hard way-when he's dragged into a three-way crime war where mind-bending, body-racking magic is the most lethal weapon of all. And just when Asa thinks he's scored, the ruthless kingpin he's ripping off strikes back, threatening the only life Asa values more than his own.

I've never read any Sarah Fine novels, but maybe you have. If so, here's the beginning of the adaptation of something called the Reliquary series.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

MICKEY MOUSE SHORTS: SEASON ONE #1 (OF 4)

Writer/Art: BASED ON THE ANIMATED SERIES BY PAUL RUDISH

Adaptation: SCOTT TIPTON

Cover: ANDY SURIANO

Subscription Variant: SCOTT TIPTON

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

Join Mickey, Minnie and all their pals in a comic adaptation of the celebrated, multi-Emmy and Annie Award-winning shorts from Disney Television Animation! In this issue, Mickey battles his way through a Tokyo bullet train during rush hour, an unlikely character competes in a dog show, and Donald suffers from ... Flipperboobootosis?! And that’s just the start!

• Newly adapted for print by Scott Tipton!

• These Disney shorts have one multiple Emmys, Annies and more!

• Variant cover by TARA BILLINGER!

Looks like a different kind of Mickey than we see in his monthly adventures. Might need to take a look.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

MILLARWORLD ANNUAL 2016 #1

Writers: MARK ABNETT, SHAUN BRILL, CLIFF BUMGARDNER, DENIZ CAMP, PHILIP HUXLEY & RICARDO MO

Art: PRACHETA BANERJEE, STEVE BEACH, CONOR HUGHES, MYRON MACKLIN, IFESINACHI ORJIEKWE & OZGUR YILDIRIM

Cover: SATINE ZILLAH

32 PAGES • FC • M • $2.99

The first MILLARWORLD ANNUAL—the result of an international creator search seeking the best new writers and artists to tackle MARK MILLAR’s extensive library of hit characters. From Kick-Ass to CHRONONAUTS, they’re all here in this instant collector's item.

Well, here's an interesting idea. I suppose any character from any Millar book is fair game, even ones where the principals died. Since I don't recognize any of the creator names, I dismiss the "international creator search" as hype. But, as I say, interesting idea, especially if you're a Millar fan.

MILO MANARA'S GULLIVERA (DLX HC)

Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer/Art/Cover: MILO MANARA

Mature • $24.95

After boarding an abandoned ship, the beautiful Gullivera encounters strange new worlds and exotic new people, from tiny Lilliputians to teasing giants, with a few other titillating stops along the way. The erotic graphic novel adaptation of Jonathan Swift's classic, Gulliver's Travels, as told by the unique and playful pen of Milo Manara.

Do you think maybe this is where Geoff Johns got the idea for his sex scene between Janet van Dyne and Ant-Man?  Regardless, the concept makes me queasy.

MINNIE AND DAISY VOL 1: BFFS FOREVER (HC)

Publisher: PAPERCUTZ

Writer: ALESSANDRO SISTI

Art/Cover: ROBERTO DI & Various

$12.99

Tales of friendship featuring the First Ladies of Disney - Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck! Minnie and Daisy do everything together, wel l... at least when Mickey and Donald aren't around. Their adventures can be just as action-packed and exciting, but they definitely have their own way, and style, of dealing with whatever may come their way. But no matter what perils may come their way, they will overcome it -- because they're Best Friends Forever! Available in Softcover and Hardcover format.

Well, why not? The boys have had the spotlight for decades!

MORNING GLORIES #50

Writer: NICK SPENCER

Art: JOE EISMA

Covers A-D: RODIN ESQUEJO

48 pages • Full Color • Mature Readers • $4.50

SPECIAL FIFTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION! Celebrating five years of mind-bending mysteries with a blockbuster Season Two finale! It’s our biggest issue yet—with an ending that will leave EVERYONE talking. A true can’t-miss moment in one of the longest-running epics in comics today.

Congratulations to Morning Glories for making it to issue #50! Would it be churlish of me to note that this issue was originally solicited for August, 2015?

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

PAYBACKS #1

Publisher: HEAVY METAL MAGAZINE

Writers: DONNY CATES, ELIOT RAHAL

Art/Cover A: GEOFF SHAW

Cover B: RYAN LEE

Cover C: ART BALTAZAR

$3.50

The secret identities of the world's superhero community have been leaked to the press, and the blame has fallen on our team of super indebted losers! It's The Paybacks versus the whole dang world. So ... what else is new? Well, plenty! Check it out in this brand new series (with variant covers by Ryan Lee and Art Baltazar!)

The last time we saw these characters, it was in a Dark Horse miniseries. That one ended on a cliffhanger, and it doesn't look like that's being continued. But it's the same writers, same concept, same characters -- just a different story and a different publisher.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

POWERPUFF GIRLS (2016) #1

Writers: HALEY MANCINI, JAKE GOLDMAN

Art/Cover: DEREK CHARM

Subscription Variant: PAULINA GANUCHEAU

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Ah, the City of Townsville, home to none other than: THE POWERPUFF GIRLS! But things have been pretty calm lately. … So much so, that Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup have fallen out of the public eye—which makes it the perfect time for their super-simian arch nemesis Mojo Jojo to take over and win the hearts of millions, backed by his army of paparazzi!

Following the launch of a newly re-imagined animated series on Cartoon Network, The Powerpuff Girls will star in a series from IDW Publishing. The comic will follow the new adventures of Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup based on the animation revival.

The comic will work as an extension of the cartoon and will be penned by staff writers Jake Goldman and Haley Mancini (who also provides the voice of arch-villainess Princess Morebucks). Rounding out the creative team is artist Derek Charm (Powerpuff Girls, Super Secret Crisis War, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy).

“The Powerpuff Girls and IDW -- a perfect combo!” says Powerpuff Girls editor Sarah Gaydos. “Look forward to more fun with the Girls, as Derek, Haley, and Jake take us back to the city of Townsville!

Issue one will feature a subscription variant by artist Paulina Ganucheau (Dexter’s Laboratory, My Little Pony) and each retailer incentive cover will feature cover art by a Powerpuff Girls animator.

•  The Powerpuff Girls are back in a BIG way, with a new, 40-episode season on Cartoon Network starting in April, and a huge marketing push across all sectors.

• New powers! New friends … and new villains, too!

• Comic series written by show writers Jake Goldman and Haley Mancini -- Haley is also the voice of arch-villainess PRINCESS MOREBUCKS! Each issue ripped directly from the NEW world of The Powerpuff Girls.

• Each retailer incentive cover will be by a Powerpuff Girls animator! 

• Variant cover by Jay Hasrajani (PPG Artist)!

I don't know anything at all about these girls -- but then, I don't have any daughters. If you do, this might be something they like.

Then again, there are grown men who enjoy My Little Pony, so maybe the same applies here. To each his own.

REBIRTH

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS: REBIRTH #1

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art and cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

Variant cover by CARY NORD

32 pg • FC • $2.99 U.S. • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

Superstar artist Ethan Van Sciver returns to the world of Green Lantern! In the absence of the Green Lantern Corps, Sinestro and his fear-inducing Yellow Lantern Corps patrol the universe as its sole protectors—but deep in space, a green light still burns. Harnessing the remainder of his will, Hal Jordan must become a one-man GL Corps to defeat his greatest foe and restore freedom to the cosmos.

Oh, thank God that "Fugitive" business is over. (More to say on Wednesday.)

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

NEW SUPER-MAN #1

Written by GENE LUEN YANG

Art and cover by VICTOR BOGDANOVIC

Variant cover by BERNARD CHANG

“MADE IN CHINA” Chapter One: An impulsive act of heroism thrusts an arrogant young man into the limelight of Shanghai as China begins to form its own Justice League of powerful heroes. Rising from the ashes of The Final Days of Superman, award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang and on-the-rise art star Victor Bogdanovic introduce readers to Kong Kenan—the New Super-Man! When the world needed a new hero, China made him!

The Central Committee can't be happy about this! (More to say on Wednesday.)

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

NIGHTWING: REBIRTH #1

Written by TIM SEELEY

Art by YANICK PAQUETTE

Cover by JAVIER FERNANDEZ

Variant cover by TBA

He’s been Robin, Batman, a spy, a ghost. Now, Dick Grayson returns to Gotham City to reclaim the life that was taken from him. But when a new evil threatens those he loves most, Nightwing faces being torn away from home once again in order to destroy the dark force once and for all. Powerhouse artist Yanick Paquette (BATMAN, SWAMP THING) joins series writer Tim Seeley (GRAYSON, BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL) to return Nightwing to the DC superhero stage!

I was never a big fan of Nightwing as a solo character. Without Batman, or the Bat-equipment/support structure, or the Titans, he's just a costumed acrobat. Unless you're Spider-Man, you can't dodge a bullet, so he doesn't seem plausible, and he doesn't have any cool powers or gimmicks, so he's not very interesting as a superhero. I do like Dick Grayson, though, and I love Yanick Paquette's art, so there's that. (More to say on Wednesday.)

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

RICK & MORTY LIL POOPY SUPERSTAR #1

Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

Writer: SARAH GRALEY

Art: SARAH GRALEY, MARC ELLERBY

Cover: SARAH GRALEY, MILDRED LOUIS

$3.99

A new comic miniseries based on Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland's hilarious [adult swim] animated show RICK AND MORTY? Oooo-wee, that sounds great! Mr. Poopybutthole is in trouble, and he turns to the one person he can trust: Summer Smith! She's more than willing to help, but is he telling her the whole truth? Written and drawn by Sarah Graley (Our Super Adventure) and colored by Mildred Louis (Agents of the Realm), Summer and Mr. Poopybutthole embark on their very own fantastic adventure across space, complete with jailbreaks, hijackings, and high school prom. Plus! Backup comics featuring good ol' Rick and Morty, drawn and colored by Marc Ellerby!

I don't watch this show, but I hear good things about it. Here's a companion mini to Rick and Morty, the ongoing series.

SABRINA #5-6

SABRINA #5 (2nd Printing)

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Cover: ROBERT HACK

Released in May, the highly anticipated SABRINA #5 featured the stunning conclusion to the first spine-tingling story-arc and is now sold out at Diamond Comic Distributors! The must-have issue will be going back to print with an all new cover by Robert Hack, available in comic book stores on July 13.

SABRINA #6

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA

Art: ROBERT HACK, JACK MORELLI

Cover: ROBERT HACK

Variant Cover: ANDREW PEPOY

40-page • full color comic • $4.99 U.S.

Also arriving in comic book stores on July 13 is SABRINA #6, the perfect jumping-on point for the series. SABRINA #6 will be an over-sized issue as Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack reveal the dark history of how Salem came to be and serve Sabrina.

The ongoing series continues! "Familiars" is the perfect jumping-on point for the critically acclaimed horror hit Sabrina! Every witch needs a familiar, and through the ages, Salem has faithfully fulfilled his duties to Sabrina. This chapter lifts back the cloak of time to reveal the dark history of how Salem came to be and serve his master. For TEEN+ readers.

Note to Archie CEO Jon Goldwater: I'd pay good money for a Madam Satan's Cheerleaders series.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN: FALL OF MAN #1

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: VAN JENSEN

Art/Cover A: RON SALAS

$3.99 • Teen + • 32 pages

The year is 1979. Iran has seized American hostages. Columbian drug cartels run rampant. And Le Chic's "Freak Out" dominates the charts. Amid this deeply troubled world, Steve Austin -- everyone's favorite Six Million Dollar Man -- is America's best hope in its fight against innumerable enemies. When Steve discovers disturbing secrets in OSI's past, he uses his cybernetic upgrades to rebel against the agency ... but he'll face plenty of threats, like an enemy cyborg and lasers, and ninjas!

I like to watch old Six Million Dollar Man episodes just to make fun of the clothes and hair. God, fashion was hideous in the '70s!

Anyway, here's another series for you SMDM fans.

STAR TREK NEW VISIONS SPECIAL: THE CAGE

Writer, photo-manipulation: JOHN BYRNE

FC • 52 pages • $7.99

Photo-artist John Byrne puts his skills to use in a unique way in this extra extra-length tale, reinterpreting and adapting the original Star Trek episode “The Cage” to comic-book form. Celebrate Star Trek’s 50th anniversary by revisiting where it all started, in this one-of-a-kind storytelling style!

These fumetti-style books really are the closest thing to going back in time to 1969 and watching Season 4 of Star Trek -- which, of course, never existed. You bet I'm all over this!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

TERRA FLATS #1

Publisher: ALTERNATIVE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JASON FISCHER

Mature • $4.99

"Hex In The City." Introducing the captivating Vee and her best friend Pony, a sweet and powerful demon. When Drake the vampire and Komo the dragon compete for Vee's affections, spells and sparks start to fly! Romance meets magic in this enchanting new series about living and working in the big city!

Uh, what?

THE CHAIR (SPECIAL ED GN)

Publisher: ALTERNA COMICS

Writer: PETER SIMETI

Art: KEVIN CHRISTENSEN, PETER SIMETI

Cover: PETER SIMETI, KEVIN CHRISTENSEN

Mature • $17.99

Richard Sullivan is an innocent man on death row.  Witnessing savage killings at the hands of the prison's sadistic warden, Sullivan realizes that he must fight to survive. But with the violence and carnage mounting, Sullivan begins to lose his grip on reality. There are no zombies or vampires here; on death row, the only monster is man.

Interesting. Alterna Comics have been around for a decade, and you know them from the FUBAR comics, which posits zombie outbreaks in different historical periods.

TIME CLOCK: EYE OF MAJESTIC CREATURE (OGN)

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: LESLIE STEIN

Mature • $19.99

In Leslie Stein's first original graphic novel, our protagonist Larrybear meets her new nemesis, visits her anthropomorphic guitar, and ponders her future when a hurricane arrives and the bar she manages is packed. Stein is a cartoonist whose work is characterized by a unique visual style including fantastic elements and grounded by a cast of characters who capture the truth of young, struggling, middle class lives.

Stein says "this book isn't easy to describe" on the Fantagraphics page, and I believe her. I've read that solicit two or three times and still have no idea what to expect.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

VILE #1

Publisher: ALTERNATIVE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: TYLER LANDRY

Mature • $7.95

The double-sized debut issue of this ongoing one-man anthology features the graphic novella "The Coward's Hole": In the wake of vast space battle, one soldier's spacecraft crash lands on a barren planet light years from the Alliance, but is he truly alone? A terrifying tale of survival and madness! A Study Group Production.

You just can't have enough "vile" in comics, can you?

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

VOLTRON: LEGENDARY DEFENDER #1

Publisher: LION FORGE

Writers: TIM HEDRICK, MITCH IVERSON

Art: DIGITAL

Cover: DREAMWORKS

$2.99

As fans finish watching this summer’s DreamWorks' Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix, they’ll have a whole new chapter waiting for them in print: comic books from Lion Forge Comics. The comic series expands the adventures of the paladins of Voltron with the first of a five-part series of Voltron: Legendary Defender comics. The miniseries is the first of several planned expansions of new storylines between seasons.

Written by DreamWorks, Voltron: Legendary Defender’s head writer Tim Hedrick and writer Mitch Iverson, the first comic tells the story of a training mission that goes awry when Coran, Princess Allura’s majordomo, falls prey to a villain looking to settle an old debt.  Team Voltron embarks on a series of increasingly dangerous quests to save their friend’s life. Each issue focuses on one of the five pilots who together command the giant mecha known as Voltron, formed from their individual flying robotic lions.

“When the writers for Voltron Legendary Defender were coming up with episode ideas, there were some that were just too epic, too outlandish, too MUCH to be contained in a mere half-hour on the small screen,” said Hedrick. “Thanks to the good people at Lion Forge, one of those stories is now coming to the fans in five red hot issues.”

The limited five-part series will also be collected in a graphic novel releasing in December, followed by another in-continuity mini-series to be announced.

Voltron’s original incarnation debuted in 1984 and quickly became the top-rated syndicated children’s television show for two years. A wide range of toys and other licensed merchandise cemented it as one of the foremost action properties from the golden age of 1980’s animation, with themes of teamwork and heroism at its heart that still resonate with fans today.

“At Lion Forge, we’re fans first, and few TV shows were more influential to me growing up than Voltron,” said Lion Forge CEO David Steward II. “We knew that if we were ever fortunate enough to bring the Lion Force back to comics that we had to do it right, so I couldn’t be happier with the work from Tim, Mitch and the DreamWorks Animation team. They’re just as committed to great comics as we are and the comic feels like it jumped right out of the show.”

Premiering exclusively on Netflix June 10, DreamWorks' Voltron: Legendary Defender re-imagines one of the most popular fan-favorite shows of all time in an all-new comedic action-packed show from executive producer Joaquim Dos Santos (The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Airbender) and co-executive producer Lauren Montgomery (The Legend of Korra).

I'm not a Voltron fan, but for those who are, heads up!

WANDERING ISLAND (TPB)

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer/Art/Cover: KENJI TSURUTA

B&W • 200 pages • TPB • 5 3/4'' x 7 1/4'' • $14.99 • Age range: 14

Dark Horse Comics is thrilled to announce the publication of the first new work by Kenji Tsuruta in English in 20 years: Wandering Island!

Wandering Island is a retro flying adventure in the spirit of Hayao Miyazaki. With eight pages in color, this special edition features an extended wraparound cover with French flaps.

Mikura Amelia is a free-spirited young woman who lives alone with her cat and operates an air delivery service, flying her vintage seaplane to Japan’s small island communities located hundreds of miles out in the Pacific. When her beloved grandfather passes away, she discovers he left her an undelivered parcel, addressed to an island that doesn’t exist ... or does it? To answer the question, Mikura flies off in search of the truth behind the Wandering Island!

* Retro flying adventure in the spirit of Hayao Miyazaki.

* Special extended wraparound cover with French flaps.

I like what I've read of Miyazaki, and this promises to be "in the spirit" of his work, so I'll probably like it.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• LOVE IN HELL DEATH LIFE VOL 1 (GN)

I've read the original Love in Hell series to which this appears to be a quasi-sequel.  While it's true that there was a metric s***-ton of fan service in it, there was also an attempts to give some depth to the characters, and the protagonist, Rintaro, had an interesting story arc in which he started out as something of a self-absorbed jerk, learned to confront the sin that got him sent to Hell, and eventually grew into someone who was capable of putting another person's interests first.  If this new series tries to cover new ground, and is not just a re-hash of the first series, it might have some potential.

• MICKEY MOUSE SHORTS: SEASON ONE #1 (OF 4)

Writer/Art: BASED ON THE ANIMATED SERIES BY PAUL RUDISH

Looks like a different kind of Mickey than we see in his monthly adventures. Might need to take a look.

This seems to be based upon the "Disney Shorts" that are apparently in their third season now.

I saw the first ones in the first season, then lost track of them. They tend to be wacky and iconoclastic. Here's a sample:

http://video.disney.com/watch/disneychannel-no-528def977d953c0a90ef...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2768802/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

•   There already is a Satan's Cheerleaders movie.

• Love the Bloodshot 'Nam tribute cover.

• DOMINO LADY THREESOME #1

Fearn created two versions of the Golden Amazon. The earlier one was a heroine of the future who was super-strong because she grew up on Venus. She appeared in four stories in Fantastic Adventures.

The four issues can all be found at Internet Archive. They're the ones for Jul. 1939, Jun. 1940, Jan. 1941 and Apr. 1943. The stories are bylined "Thorton Ayre". (My hat-tip to the ISFDB for the issues.)

One of the stories from the first series was reprinted in the 70s in Michel Perry's collection Superheroes (Sphere).

Conquest of the Amazon from the second series was reprinted around the same time, in both Britain (Orbit) and the US (Trojan), and might not be hard to find. The plot involves an approaching ice age and a suitor from a super-race.

• HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS: REBIRTH #1

The cover might be a homage to the cover of Green Lantern #49 (1994), from the Emerald Twilight storyline.

SABRINA #5
    If anyone doesn't know, Madam Satan is a Golden Age character, from Pep Comics #16-#21.
  • I couldn't find a pulp character named The Veil, but I'd bet she existed, or The Veil is a loose swipe of some other femme fatale from the '30s or '40s. Anybody have any more info or guesses?

She might be after Chesler/Dynamic's Veiled Avenger, or Lady Luck (a suggestion I owe to the blogger at the link). Lady Luck wore a veil, but neither used a gun.

There was a previous issue with the same title in 2012 written by Nancy Holder and Howard Hopkins. In this interview Hopkins calls her his own character. (Cover image adult content warning.) Apparently Mr Hopkins passed away not long after. Ms Holder posted a tribute here.

• HORIZON #1

Writer: BRANDON THOMAS

Art: JUAN GEDEON & FRANK MARTIN

Skybound’s newest original series by BRANDON THOMAS (The Many Adventures of Miranda Mercury), JUAN GEDEON (Ghost Racers), and FRANK MARTIN (EAST OF WEST) will show you that survival isn’t just a human instinct.

Image has had such a terrific track record on new releases, I'll be sure to check this one out.

I really enjoyed Brandon Thomas' Miranda Mercury trade so I'm looking forward to his new title. 

• MILLARWORLD ANNUAL 2016 #1

Writers: MARK ABNETT, SHAUN BRILL, CLIFF BUMGARDNER, DENIZ CAMP, PHILIP HUXLEY & RICARDO MO

Art: PRACHETA BANERJEE, STEVE BEACH, CONOR HUGHES, MYRON MACKLIN, IFESINACHI ORJIEKWE & OZGUR YILDIRIM

Cover: SATINE ZILLAH

32 PAGES • FC • M • $2.99

The first MILLARWORLD ANNUAL—the result of an international creator search seeking the best new writers and artists to tackle MARK MILLAR’s extensive library of hit characters. From Kick-Ass to CHRONONAUTS, they’re all here in this instant collector's item.

Well, here's an interesting idea. I suppose any character from any Millar book is fair game, even ones where the principals died. Since I don't recognize any of the creator names, I dismiss the "international creator search" as hype. But, as I say, interesting idea, especially if you're a Millar fan.

I think you may have mis-read that one, Cap.  This was a "new talent" search, not an "all-star annual" so it makes sense that you wouldn't have heard of any of the creators.  I remember that Mark Bagley got his start in comics by winning a Marvel new talent search back in the day.  

• And I remember this particular talent search. I was working up a Chrononauts story for it, but couldn't get it together by the deadline. 

This reply was deleted.