Comics Guide for Oct. 23, 2013

ANSWER TP

Eisner award-winning writer and artist Mike Norton!

Mike Norton (W/A/Cover), Dennis Hopeless (W), and Mark Englert (C)

FC, 96 pages

$12.99

Insomniac librarian Devin MacKenzie is yanked into a maelstrom of mayhem and mystery by the punctuation-faced crime fighter known as the Answer! Can this unlikely team take on the sinister BRAIN TRUST? A thoroughly original superhero adventure from Mike Norton (Battlepug) and Dennis Hopeless (Avengers Arena, Cable and X-Force). Collects the four-issue miniseries.

• Dennis Hopeless (Cable and the X-Force, Avengers Arena) is one of comics’ rising stars!

The track record for the creators of this series, in my opinion of course, is competent but un-exciting. Naturally, that's what this book looks to me.

I'm trying not to be fooled by the punctuation on the main character's facemask, because it suggests much better characters who did the same. (Bonus points to those who can name the three I'm thinking of.)

CONAN: PEOPLE OF THE BLACK CIRCLE #1

Hercules and Hulk team, Van Lente and Olivetti, reunite!

Fred Van Lente (W) and Ariel Olivetti (A/C/Cover)

FC, 32 pages

$3.50

Miniseries

Two of the hottest names in comics—writer Fred Van Lente and artist Ariel Olivetti—reunite for a brutal Conan epic like no other!

Assassins, dark magic, and a beautiful noblewoman mean trouble for the Cimmerian barbarian unlike he’s ever seen in this full-tilt escapade through the mountains of Afghulistan!

• Conan like you’ve never seen him—fully painted by Olivetti!

• A new miniseries set a decade after the Conan ongoing!

"Van Lente display(s)...masterful ability to write entertaining stories…Olivetti's...painterly style gives the imagery an ethereal quality that seems based in reality, but shrouded in the mystery of myth."–Comic Book Resources

I said it last week, and I'll say it again: Dark Horse has yet to do a Conan series that even lowers itself to mediocre. I bet this one is pretty good, too.

DARK HORSE PRESENTS #29

Eisner and Harvey Award Winner!

David Lapham (W/A), Andrew MacLean (W/A), Caitlín R. Kiernan (W), Mike Baron (W), Ron Randall (W/A), Steve Niles (W), Michael T. Gilbert (W/A), Dara Naraghi (W), Patrick Alexander (W/A), Neal Adams (W/A/Cover), Steve Lieber (A), Steve Rude (A), menton3 (A), Richard Corben (W/A), and Tom Williams (A)

FC, 80 pages

$7.99

Read the epic and action-packed thirteen-page final chapter of Neal Adams’s Blood! Meet Mindy and her cartoon sidekick in a world of gang warfare and haircuts in Andrew MacLean’s Snip Snip!

Plus, new installments of The Strain: The Fall, Mr. Monster, Alabaster, Trekker, Nexus, Nosferatu Wars, and a Poe story from Richard Corben!

• Featuring a story from the world of Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan’s The Strain: The Fall!

• The thrilling conclusion to Neal Adams’s Blood!

“Arguably the best showcase for writers and artists of its kind, it’s not only a great collection of short and ongoing comic work, but of the quality of the artists and writers that Dark Horse has managed to attract.” — Newsarama

As a long-time comics fanatic, I would be thrilled for anthologies to thrive again. Apparently, though, that's an opinion that exists only in the abstract. When it comes down to it even a comics fiend like myself, who shouts hurrah at the very idea of anthologies, won't buy any. Including this book, which is hands down the best anthology I've ever seen. Does anybody know why that is? Can you explain it to me?

HELLBOY: MIDNIGHT CIRCUS HC

Mike Mignola (W/Cover), Duncan Fegredo (A), and Dave Stewart (C)

FC, 56 pages

$14.99

Young Hellboy runs away from the B.P.R.D. only to stumble upon a weird and fantastical circus and the few demons from Hell who inhabit it.

• Cover and story by Mike Mignola!

• Duncan Fegredo returns!

• An original graphic novel in hardcover!

"In the world of Hellboy, the stony hand that Hellboy uses to clobber opponents is called the Right Hand of Doom. For cartoonist and creator Mike Mignola, his right-hand man for doing Hellboy these days could be considered Duncan Fegredo." —Newsarama

Mignola on Hellboy. 'Nuff said.

KISS ME SATAN #2

From the writer of Spike the artist of Colder!

Victor Gischler (W), Juan Ferreyra (A), and Dave Johnson (Cover)

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

After an attack from a vampire maid, Barnabus Black and the witches flee their hiding spot in a cheap Big Easy motel. Barnabus says he knows a safe place, and as they cross the historic Garden District Cemetery, zombies erupt from their graves and attack the group. A new hit man arrives who is known as THE BONE WRANGLER, and his power is control of the undead.

• Featuring covers by Dave Johnson!

• By Victor Gischler (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike—A Dark Place) and Juan Ferreyra (Colder, Rex Mundi)!

I have no idea what this book is about, but "Kiss me, Satan!" is just a funny thing to say. (Especially if you use a high, squeaky voice.)

MASS EFFECT FOUNDATION #4

All-new 13-issue maxiseries!

Mac Walters (W), Tony Parker (A), Michael Atiyeh (C), and Benjamin Carré (Cover)

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Far away from Earth, on Gagarin Station—or “Brain Camp,” as its students call it—a young Kaidan Alenko undergoes his biotic training. During an exceptionally grueling lesson, Kaidan steps in to defend the lovely Rahna from the brutal Commander Vyrnnu—but his rash actions have tragic consequences!

• Written by Mac Walters, lead writer of Mass Effect 2 and 3!

• A canonical entry in the Mass Effect series!

• Ties in to the Mass Effect 3: Citadel DLC pack!

I don't play the videogame, so I have no interest in the comic book, even though at one time it was written by Marv Wolfman.

MASSIVE #16

(W) Brian Wood (A) Garry Brown (CA) John Paul Leon, Jordie Bellaire

In the rugged North Sea, the crew of the Kapital come across a rogue group of whalers, persistently hunting despite the realities of the Crash. When Callum Israel and his crew intervene, they come face to face with centuries of tradition and what is referred to as the "old ways."

$3.50

MIND MGMT #16

A New York Times best-selling series!

Matt Kindt (W/A)

FC, 24 pages

$3.99

Matt Kindt’s latest self-contained issue delves into the history of the woman at the center of the Mind Management conspiracy! What was the Eraser’s role at MIND MGMT, and why is she intent on bringing it back?

Comics mastermind Matt Kindt delivers a self-contained story from the world of MIND MGMT!

“There’s a reason Mind MGMT Volume 1 appeared on Amazon.com’s best comics of the year so far. Anyone looking for something a little different, but still in the realm of fantasy and science fiction look no further. “—Adventures in Poor Taste

I'm not a big fan of Kindt's art style, but it's in that gray area that if the story is good, I could tolerate the art. But I'm not likely to pick up the book because of the art, and I will never find out on my own if the story is good. So, can anyone out there recommend this to me? Am I missing a good story?

STAR WARS LEGACY II #8

“Hardman's artwork is drool worthy. Mix in some stunning color work by Rachelle Rosenberg and you have everything one could possibly want in a Star Wars book.”–IGN

Corinna Bechko (W), Gabriel Hardman (W), Brian Thies (A), Rachelle Rosenberg (C), Augustin Alessio (Cover)

FC, 32 pages

$2.99

Ania Solo and Imperial Knight Jao’s search for Sith leads to the poisoned Mon Calamari homeworld of Dac—where their ship is boarded by pirates who have taken over the planet’s orbiting shipyards.

Jao senses the dark side at work—especially when he and Ania are marked for death!

• Sith, pirates, and the planet of the dead!

“Star Wars: Legacy is another excellent extension of this universe, as it does just enough right for both fanboys and fangirls to be worthy of the heritage it now represents.“ —Unleash the Fanboy

Am I the only one whose interest in Star Wars evaporated the first time he saw Jar-Jar Binks? Because it did. The Phantom Menace murdered the little boy inside me who loved Star Wars.

ABSOLUTE JOKER LUTHOR HC

(W) Brian Azzarello (A) Lee Bermejo, Mick Gray (CA) Lee Bermajo

Two of DC's greatest villains take center stage in this new Absolute edition from Eisner Award winning writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo! This slipcase contains two hardcovers and collects the LUTHOR: MAN OF STEEL 5-issue miniseries and the original graphic novel JOKER, along with sketchbook pages and more!$99.99

These stories are pretty good ones, so you'd be well advised to buy this book if you have interest in these characters.

But since I have read these stories before, I won't be buying this book. Instead, I'm dreaming of the Joker-Luthor book I really want, which collects all their team-ups from Silver Age to present. That. Would. Be. Awesome.

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #6

Written by J.T. KRUL

Art by MARCUS TO

Cover by MITCH BREITWEISER

40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

A young Superman faces a threat like he’s never seen before when a powerful alien warlord named Mongul shows up on Earth’s doorstep looking for trouble! Will Superman heed the counsel of his Kryptonian father? Or will the words of a certain silver-tongued Phantom Zone prisoner cloud his judgment?

This book stars the Superman everyone over the age of 35 has always loved. Complete with red panties!

ALL STAR WESTERN #24

Written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by MORITAT

Cover by LEONARDO MANCO

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

This is the end of the line for Jonah Hex’s trip to modern day Gotham City! Is his future our past or a padded cell in Arkham Asylum?

I trade-wait this book, so Jonah is still in the late 1800s up to the point I've read. And when I heard he was going to move to the future for an unspecified amount of time, my internal alarms went off (remembering Hex). That's what's happening here, and I won't see it until the next Jonah Hex TPB I get.

Then again, every time I underestimate Gray & Palmiotti, they prove me wrong. So, even though I hate the concept, I'm actually looking forward to this.

AQUAMAN #24

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art and cover by PAUL PELLETIER and SEAN PARSONS

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Who is the Scourge of the Seven Seas?! All his life, Arthur’s been told that he is the King of the Seven Seas. But he’s about to learn exactly what that title means—and the dark power and legacy it carries with it. Is it possible for one man to rule every living thing in the ocean? Or is the King of the Seven Seas always doomed to die trying?

Johns has gone a good job redressing the many problems the Aquaman concept has. I read Aquaman and enjoy it OK, but I suspect it will be canceled again three months after Johns has left. Johns has done good work, but not good enough; the character is better than he was, but he's still not compelling. Johns has tinkered skillfully around the edges, but that's not what Aquaman needs. He needs to be re-invented entirely. IMHO!

ARROW #12

Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art by VICTOR DRUJINIU, JUAN CASTRO, ALLAN JEFFERSON and JONAS TRINDADE

Photo cover

FINAL ISSUE

After the shocking events of the season one finale, Oliver reflects on the regrets of his past...and his course of action for the future. Plus, when a pilot gets in deep with the wrong kind of people, the Starling City vigilante becomes an unlikely ally in the fight to save his family.

My wife is eagerly awaiting Season 2 of Arrow. I'd be pleased, except that I know what she's really looking forward to is seeing Stephen Amell with his shirt off again.

BATGIRL VOLUME 3: DEATH OF THE FAMILY HC

Written by GAIL SIMONE, RAY FAWKES and SCOTT SNYDER

Art by ED BENES, DANIEL SAMPERE, GREG CAPULLO, JULIUS GOPEZ,

JONATHAN GLAPION, MARK IRWIN, VICENTE CIFUENTES and ADMIRA WIJAYA

Cover by ED BENES

224 pg, FC, $24.99 US

Batgirl stars in these epics from #14-19 of her monthly series, plus BATMAN #17, BATGIRL ANNUAL #1 and a story from YOUNG ROMANCE #1, all spinning out of “Death of the Family.” The Joker is back, and Barbara Gordon must confront her past as she deals with the crazed criminal responsible for crippling her. Plus, once the dust settles, Barbara must deal with her family demons as her psychotic brother James Jr. comes after her.

As I said last month, I found "Death of the Family" a disappointment. But of all the books involved in this tepid storyline, I think Batgirl was the best. So if you're only going to buy one, buy Batman (because that's needful). But if you're going to buy two, make Batgirl the other one.

BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #24

Written by GREGG HURWITZ

Art and cover by ALEX MALEEV

Now that he's locked up in Arkham, Gotham City is safe from the threat of Clayface. But what led Clayface to become the monster that he is? The answers lie here.

Going back to the first Clayface story I ever read (World's Finest Comics #140, March 1964), I have never believed that Batman could survive five seconds against the guy. He's Superman level, as WFC #140 showed. So I view all Clayface stories in Bat-books with a jaundiced eye, and so far I feel my opinion has been born out: In every Clayface story I read, Batman SHOULD be dead in the first five seconds, but he always wins by writer's fiat.

Upshot is: I don't like Clayface stories in  Bat-books. He ought to be a Justice League foe.

BEWARE THE BATMAN #1

Written by IVAN COHEN

Art and cover by LUCIANO VECCHIO

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

DC Nation proudly presents: BEWARE THE BATMAN, a new, all-ages series! Bruce Wayne spent years learning crime-fighting techniques from his butler (and former secret agent) Alfred Pennyworth. Now he’s ready to take on Gotham City’s criminal underground as the Batman!

Are kids liking this? I hope so, because old farts like me don't. So I honestly, genuinely hope that kids like this.

CATWOMAN #24

Written by ANN NOCENTI

Art by RAFA SANDOVAL and JORDI TARRAGONA

Cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

It’s time! Catwoman vs. The Joker’s Daughter deep in the Gotham Underground!

I'm not reading Catwoman. The high point on this character, for me, was when Ed Brubaker was writing her. He made her unique and interesting. But ever since, she's been too ill-defined for me to maintain an interest. And I was really unimpressed with the first New 52 trade, because it relied too heavily on "fan service" and not enough on plot and characterization.

Has it gotten better? Any recommendations?

Points should be given to Nocenti, though, for making Joker's Daughter more than the throwaway character she was when introduced in Teen Titans years ago, when it was painfully obvious that her only raison d'etre was to establish trademark.

DC VS. MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #2

(W) Keith Giffen (A) Dexter Soy (CA) Ed Benes

Skeletor is on the loose in the DC Universe! If He-Man and the Masters of the Universe can't stop him, then how can the Justice League hope to?

$2.99

FABLES ENCYCLOPEDIA DELUXE EDITION HC

Written by JESS NEVINS with commentary by BILL WILLINGHAM and MARK BUCKINGHAM

Art by VARIOUS

Wraparound cover by ADAM HUGHES

256 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”,

$39.99 US • MATURE READERS

From Aladdin to Zephyr, THE FABLES ENCYCLOPEDIA is a must-have reference guide to the hidden history of every Fables character from Bill Willingham’s multiple award-winning series. Written by noted academic scholar Jess Nevins (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Companion) with artwork by FABLES luminaries including cover artists James Jean, Joao Ruas and series regulars Mark Buckingham and Steve Leialoha, the FABLES ENCYCLOPEDIA provides rich historical information about each character as well as his/her first appearances and respective role within creator/writer Bill Willingham’s imaginative Fables mythos. Willingham and series artist Mark Buckingham provide fun facts and anecdotes along the way. Featuring an exquisite wraparound cover by noted FAIREST cover artist Adam Hughes, the FABLES ENCYCLOPEDIA is a deluxe hardcover that’s essential for every FABLES reader, old and new.

THE FLASH #24

Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL and BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

Barry’s battle against the Reverse-Flash ends with major revelations and The Flash facing an impossible challenge!

I hear Manapul and Buccellato are leaving soon. That's too bad, as I enjoyed their work. But I was never blown away by it, so I'm less in mourning than other fans I've heard from. OTOH, most of those fans are still wanting Wally West in the role and have real antipathy for Barry Allen, period. It takes extra-hard work by the creators to get those fans into the current Flash. I get that, and I'm sure Manapul & Buccellato got it, too.

That's not me, though. To me, Wally West was always a fill-in, and I don't need any extra help to accept Barry Allen in the role. To me, that's who the Flash is. So this is a nice superhero book that I enjoy reading, without any convincing, and I will enjoy the next creative team, too, as long as they keep the above-average quality up.

THE GREEN TEAM: TEEN TRILLIONAIRES #5

Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO

Art and cover by IG GUARA

When the world’s not big enough for you, where can you go? Space, of course! Armageddon’s inevitable if nobody stops an asteroid from hurtling towards Earth—but The Green Team’s spotted an opportunity to both save the world AND make a buck in the process! Of course, nothing about this mission will go as planned… especially with a most unexpected threat waiting beyond the atmosphere!

I'm still not reading this, as I haven't found a hook to get me interested. Any recommendations, Legionnaires?

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US #10

Written by TOM TAYLOR

Art by JHEREMY RAAPACK, MIKE S. MILLER and TOM DERENICK

Cover by MICO SUAYAN

Hoping to stop Batman’s behind-the-scenes maneuvering, Superman has decided to take him out of the game. He’s going to go worldwide with the news that the Caped Crusader is really Bruce Wayne. But at the last minute, Batman plays his one remaining ace. He’s about to turn off the lights on the JLA’s satellite headquarters.

This is a really dark story. I bet the videogame is dark too. But I'm not reading the former, or playing the latter, so I'm willing to be educated.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #24

JUSTICE LEAGUE #24 COMBO PACK

(W) Geoff Johns (A/CA) Ivan Reis, Joe Prado

A "Forever Evil" tie-in! THE JUSTICE LEAGUE IS DEAD! But who's at the top of the food chain now? And what does BLACK ADAM have to say about it?

$3.99

I'm mildly surprised -- and pleased -- that so many of the DCU villains have found plausible reason to resist the Crime Syndicate (as shown in Villains Month books).

That's the way it ought to be! Villains are, by definition, not joiners or people-pleasers. The only way a villain would cooperate with the Crime Syndicate is if he or she is afraid not to, and they're are plenty of DCU villains who are confident enough in their own power to NOT be afraid, like Black Adam. And there are others who value their turf/command even more than life, like Captain Cold. And so forth.

I'm hoping that what "Forever Evil" will show us is villain-against-villain battles that make perfect sense, with the added stakes that villains aren't remotely resistant to killing their opponents. Let's hope the Crime Syndicate discovers that they've bitten off more than they can chew -- not because of our good guys, but because of our bad guys!

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #24

Written by RAY FAWKES

Art and cover by MIKEL JANIN

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

A “Forever Evil” tie-in! THE JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK IS DEAD. Not even the JL Dark can escape the evil that’s invaded the Earth—except for John Constantine! But why has he alone survived? And will he try to stop the villains—or join them? Long live the NEW Justice League Dark!

LARFLEEZE #4

Written by KEITH GIFFEN and J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art by SCOTT KOLINS

Cover by TYLER KIRKHAM

No longer an army of one, the Orange Lantern Corps declares war on Larfleeze! But the greedy Agent Orange won’t let his possessions go easily! “Revolt of The Orange Lanterns” begins here!

I'm not following this, but I would if I thought it was a black humor book and not just another dreadfully dull Lantern book. Is it? Let me know, Legionnaires!

Special Preview

RED LANTERNS #24

Written by CHARLES SOULE

Art by ALESSANDRO VITTI

Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

You’ve already seen sneak peeks at chapters one, two, and three of “Lights Out” – this October’s epic crossover event that will change the Green Lantern universe forever.

Written by Charles Soule and illustrated by Alessandro Vitti, RED LANTERNS #24 serves as the penultimate chapter of “Lights Out.” In this issue, Hal Jordan travels to the Red Lanterns’ home planet of Ysmault to enlist their help in the battle against Relic that has already cost him and the Corps so much. Guy Gardner, however, is furious with Hal and wants to get something from the Green Lanterns in exchange for the Red Lanterns’ help. Meanwhile, it’s Atrocitus vs. Kyle Rayner for control of the Rage entity, The Butcher!

For more information, please visit DC Comics' official press blog.

As I said last month, the endless crossovers between Lantern books may be getting old, but it's also the only reason most of them exist. You could cancel Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: The New Guardians, Larfleeze and Red Lanterns tomorrow, and I wouldn't bat an eye.

If nothing else, maybe the "Lights Out" crossover will establish all the Lantern spin-off books as something that can stand alone. Because right now, they can't.

SUICIDE SQUAD VOLUME 3: DEATH IS FOR SUCKERS TP

(W) Adam Glass (A) Fernando Dagnino & Various (CA) Ken Lashley

As the Suicide Squad closes in on Basilisk leader Regulus, Deadshot and Harley discover sleeper agents in their ranks. Meanwhile, Harley must face her former boyfriend, The Joker! Collecting issues #14-19 of the hard-hitting series!

$14.99

SUPERMAN #24

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art and cover by EDDY BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA

“Psi War” comes to a shocking conclusion as one of the people closest to Superman becomes a casualty—and then, cometh the Oracle to tell Superman that Krypton lives once more!

Wow, that all sounds so Been There Done That. I hope the execution is better than the description.

TALON #12

Written by JAMES TYNION IV

Art by EMANUEL SIMEONI

Cover by KEN HUNT

Lives hang in the balance as Talon rushes back to Gotham City to stop the Court of Owls from taking apart his life once and for all! But will Batman stand as his ally—or stand in his way?

I was surprised to find out I didn't hate this book. But that's not to say I love it. It's in the middle ground where I enjoyed the first TP enough that I don't begrudge the money I spent buying it, but not enough to want to buy the second. Anyone want to nudge me into it?

TEEN TITANS #24

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by ANGEL UNZUETA and ART THIBERT

Cover by EDDY BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA

As Forever Evil spreads across the world, where have the Teen Titans gone? Find out when they are and why the Titans definitely aren’t together!

TOM STRONG AND THE PLANET OF PERIL #4

Written by PETER HOGAN

Art by CHRIS SPROUSE and KARL STORY

32 pg, FC, 4 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T

The remaining members of S.M.A.S.H. go up against dozens of bikers in a battle over much-needed humanitarian supplies. But not even help from Tom Strong and all their gods can keep the entire convoy safe.

I kinda lost the thread of the Tom Strong narrative when he found the parallel Earth with ... Tom Savage? Tom Superman? Tom Strange? Whatever. I'll buy this in trade if a Legionnaire recommends it, but otherwise I'll let the whole ABC line fade from my memory, as it's already beginning to.

THE UNWRITTEN #54

Written by MIKE CAREY and BILL WILLINGHAM

Art by PETER GROSS and MARK BUCKINGHAM

Cover by YUKO SHIMIZU

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

The big finale of “The Unwritten Fables” is here! The survivors of Fabletown have launched their final assault on Castle Dark—and been broken. Their king is dead and their champions defeated. But the battle’s not over until the wicked witch says it is, and Frau Totenkinder still has plans for Tom Taylor and Boy Blue. Unfortunately, the cure she has in mind is even worse than the disease ...

I buy this in trade, so I'm a little confused by why Tommy Taylor was in Fables-land for a few issues. I guess I'll find out.

DCE ESSENTIALS: THE SANDMAN #1

Written by NEIL GAIMAN

Art by SAM KIETH and MIKE DRINGENBERG

Cover by DAVE McKEAN

64 pg, FC, $1.00 US • MATURE READERS

A chapter from the issue that launched the most acclaimed comics series ever is reprinted! Morpheus is introduced when the Order of Ancient Mysteries attempts to summon Death but instead seizes Dream. Freed after 70 years of confinement, Morpheus emerges in the present day and exacts a terrifying vengeance upon his captor …

CROW CURARE #3

(W) James O'barr (A) Antoine Dode (CA) James O'barr

Detective Joe Salk's obssession with the dead girl culminates in this final tale of violent retribution as secrets are revealed, debts are paid and lives are forever changed.

$3.99

I have never read any of O'Barr's Crow, nor have I ever seen any of the movies. Frankly, it all looked really adolescent to me -- even when I was an adolescent.

Am I missing anything Legionnaires? Should I buy up all the back-issue Crow stuff?

DOCTOR WHO OMNIBUS VOLUME 2 TP

(W) Tony Lee & Various (A) Al Davison & Various (CA) Tommy Lee Edwards

All 16 issues plus the 2010 Annual and A Fairytale Life are collected in this second Doctor Who Omnibus. Includes the final comic book tales of the 10th Doctor plus a stand alone tale starring the 11th Doctor that's not to be missed!

Tony Lee, Jonathan L. Davis, Matthew Dow Smith, Al Davison, Matt Sturges (w) o Al Davison, Matthew Dow Smith, Blair Shedd, Kelly Yates, Brian Shearer (a) o Tommy Lee Edwards ( c)

$29.99

I also am not a Whovian. I am not proud of that, but neither am I ashamed of it. I first saw Dr. Who in late-night reruns on WKNO in my town in the '60s, and those episodes were so awful they left a bad taste in my mouth that has never gone away.

That being said, I am delighted for those of you who are big Dr. Who fans. I rejoice in your hobby for you. But do not think you can shame me by insisting that I should also be a Whovian. I am not now, nor at my age is it likely I will ever be, so save your breath -- and your outrage. I will not be shamed.

DOCTOR WHO VOLUME 3 #14

(W) Tony Lee (A) Mike Collins (CA) Mark Buckingham

Deadman's Hand, Part 2 of 4: Clara and Calamity Jane have been shot dead by a reanimated Wild Bill Hickok-but how? And does this relate to Thomas Edison's secret research site in the Black Hills? And why doesn't Oscar Wilde care if he dies? Only the Doctor knows, and he's not telling!

$3.99

FEVER RIDGE: MACARTHUR JUNGLE WAR #4

(W) Mike Heimos (A/CA) Nick Runge

Erik and Blackie are in complicit captivity in the camp of the Junker-gone native, Baron Anton von Stierland, the inscrutable leader of an ambush crew comprised mainly of the ghostly and fierce Mud Men of the Sepik Valley. Having made their way into the Huon Peninsula in violation of their own Spirits and of local taboos, they are on the hunt for every Japanese soul they can find...

$3.99

I'm about as much a '40s nut as you'll ever see, so this appeals to me on a visceral level. But it also seems to be alternate-history enough that it will negate what I love about the decade. Has anyone read this?

GI JOE AMERICA'S ELITE VOLUME 1: DISAVOWED TP

(W) Joe Casey (A) Stefano Caselli, Nelson Blake II (CA) Sharp

One year has passed since the end of A Real American Hero, but a new threat looms on the horizon. The President has reactivated the G.I. JOE team headed by General Joe Colton and headquartered in a new complex called The Rock.

$24.99

HAUNTED HORROR #7

Listen to what fans are screaming about our full color reprints of banned 1950s comics:

"The dead walk again in Haunted Horror!"-Martin Hirchak

"Haunted Horror is absolutely disgusting, gory, & VERY entertaining!"-Tommy Stanziola

"From straight A student to teen junkie, the stories in this ghoulish gallery made me the man I am today!"-Ghastly Gilbert Smith

"The stories the Comics Code Authority didn't think you could handle!"-Sean MacLellan

$3.99

With all the wonderful -- and comprehensive -- '50s horror collections coming out from PS Artbooks and Dark Horse, I'm beginning to think of these Craig Yoe "samplers" as a waste of money. I'll probably buy this one, but unless someone talks me out of it, it will probably be the last one.

JUDGE DREDD #12

(W) Duane Swierczynski (A/CA) Nelson Daniel

"Into The Cursed Earth," chapters 10-12: Roasted Judge on a Spit (Serves 6-8): Ingredients: one (1) Judge, metal spit, Kosher salt. 1. Kill the Judge (pick your favorite option; we just like to shoot 'em in the mouth) 2. Pry off helmet, that big gold bird, boots, gloves, etc. 3. Secure Judge to spit carefully; dead Judges are heavy and tend to flop around as the spit turns. 4. Light coals, turn slowly, salting and basting with blood (pro tip: save it from step number 1) every half hour. 5. When the skin bubbles up into these fine little blistery pustules, it's time to eat! (Recipe courtesy Angel Brothers Gang, all rights reserved)

$3.99

JUDGE DREDD: YEAR ONE TP

(W) Matt Smith (A) Simon Coleby (CA) Greg Staples

"The Long Hard Road" begins here! In an all-new adventure from Joe Dredd's early days as a Mega City-One Judge, writer (and Eagle-award-winning 2000 AD Editor) Matt Smith presents a tale where "all the young juves, carry the news," only in this case, the news is delivered with a lethal blow! 

$17.99

Oh no! Is IDW going to reprint all of Judge Dredd in high-quality books? I've already got them all in low-quality books. You mean I have to buy them AGAIN? Aaaargh!

MY LITTLE PONY TALES VOLUME 1 TP

(W) Thomas F. Zahler & Various (A) Amy Mebberson & Various (CA) Amy Mebberson

Collecting the six hit spotlight issues on everyone's favorite ponies! Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie...everybody gets a story!

$19.99

OTHER DEAD #2

(W) Joshua Ortega, Digger T. Mesch (A) Qing Ping Mui (CA) Reynir Hauksson

The world's first Zombie Animal epic continues! President Obama travels to New Orleans to deal with the evacuation of the city, as Tommy, Azrael, and Justina  fight for their very lives against the undead animal horde! All-star creators Kevin Eastman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Joshua Ortega (Gears of War, Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer), and Digger T Mesch (Agent 88) join up with rising star Qing Ping Mui for the shocking second issue of the year's most talked-about new horror series!

$3.99

I told my wife a few months ago that human zombies are bad enough, but if animals ever got infected, humans would be extinct in a generation.

Think about it: What would stop zombie rats? We can't keep rats out now, and they're not even trying very hard. Imagine them very determined to get in your house and bite you. Not to mention squirrels and raccoons. And if insects got infected ...

Seriously, it's game over.

POWERPUFF GIRLS CLASSICS VOLUME 1: POWER PART TP

(W/A) Craig McCraken & Various (CA) Philip Moy

They're cute. They're fun. And they're powerful! The Cartoon Network classic Powerpuff Girls returns in this collection of comic-book adventures. Featuring the ladies' first appearances in Cartoon Network Starring #1 and #5, as well as issues #1-4 of their ongoing series.

$19.99

Do little girls like this? I hope so. This is exactly what I'd imagine a great book for little girls to be. But I'm a guy, so I could be wildly off the mark!

ROCKETEER/SPIRIT: PULP FRICTION #2

(W) Mark Waid (A) Loston Wallace (CA) Paul Smith

The most pulp-tastic crossover of all time continues! What is the TV Terror that threatens all of Los Angeles-and how can the Rocketeer and the Spirit hope to combat such a futuristic menace? Plus-it's the Peevey/Dolan team, together again at last!

$3.99

I see the name "Mark Waid" on a title and I write it down as something I will buy. (But in trade.)Special Preview

SAMURAI JACK #1

(W) Jim Zub (A/CA) Andy Suriano

$3.99

The long wait is almost over as the fan-favorite series is set to make its IDW debut this October! Through a partnership with Cartoon Network Enterprises, IDW will create and distribute a series of comic books being released monthly.
A cult-classic and fan-favorite of the highest order, the popular and acclaimed animated series from Cartoon Network pitted a feudal Samurai known only as Jack against the ancient demon wizard, Aku. Displaced in time, Jack was made to traverse a strange landscape of the future to find his way back to his own time.

“Samurai Jack is an irresistible mix of high adventure, comedy and mythic storytelling,” said series writer Jim Zub (Skullkickers) who will be joined by Andy Suriano (Character Designer on the original Samurai Jack television series) to lead Jack on his newest adventure!

Suriano’s affinity for Jack will help shape his continuing adventure. He added, “returning to Samurai Jack is such a personal experience and labor of love for me. It's like stepping through a time portal back to characters I know as friends and a world that really launched my animation career."

The first five-issue arc will explore the secrets of the “Rope of Eons,”

In addition to the great talent already working on this book, the first arc features variant covers by the show’s immensely talented creator, Genndy Tartakovsky! “As a Jack and Genndy fan I'm thrilled to be writing new stories that continue where the TV series left off. I'm channeling my inner samurai to deliver a fun action-packed ride each and every issue,” said Zub.

Along with the high quality collections of existing material that IDW will be releasing, the new publishing series promises to take Jack back to the past in new and exciting ways!

I love, love, love the Samurai Jack cartoon. Static comic-book images can't capture everything I like about the cartoon, but in its last iteration the Samurai Jack comic book came close enough that it was a good enough hit until I could get the real stuff on TV. I hope this series does the same.

STAR TREK ONGOING #26

(W) Mike Johnson (A/CA) Erfan Fajar

The conflict between the Klingon and Romulan Empires erupts, with Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise trapped in the middle! Don't miss the newest chapter of the ongoing series overseen by Star Trek Into Darkness writer/producer Roberto Orci!

$3.99

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATION COMPLETE HC

(W) David Tipton & Various (A) J. K. Woodward & Various (CA) Sharp

Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise have joined forces with the Doctor and his companions to combat an unholy alliance between the Federation's most terrifying enemy and one of the Doctor's greatest antagonists. But once the Cybermen turn on their Borg allies, the Doctor and Picard find themselves at odds over how to proceed against the threat, with the fate of the universe hanging in the balance! 

$34.99

THUNDER AGENTS #3

(W) Phil Hester (A) Andrea DiVito (CA) Phil Hester

The reassembled T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents battle Iron Maiden to a stalemate in the caverns of Kashmir while a hidden army rises below, but which side will they take? Director Kathryn Kane stands trial for her exploration of the forbidden Judgment Towers, but can T.H.U.N.D.E.R. itself survive their now-unleashed power?

$3.99

Kudos for a very Wally Wood-looking cover.

TMNT NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES #4

(W) Erik Burnham (A/CA) Dario Brizuela

Everyone's favorite hothead usually packs quite a punch, but after a dangerous Foot Clan ambush, Raphael will have to rely on his brothers to do the punching. With the clock ticking, will Leo, Mikey, and Don be able to overcome the odds against Shredder's assassins?!

$3.99

TMNT ONGOING VOLUME 6: CITY FALL PART 1 TP

(W) Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman (A) Kevin Eastman, Mateus Santolouco (CA) Mateus Santolouco

The latest collection of the red-hot ongoing series kicks off with Kevin Eastman's solo issue #21, a prelude to the first three parts of "City Fall." A normal night on the town for Raphael and Casey turns deadly when the Foot Clan appears in full force. The resulting chaos is only the first step in Shredder's master plan!

$17.99

TRANSFORMERS: LAST STAND OF THE WRECKERS HC (RED LABEL EDITION)

(W) Nick Roche, James Roberts (A) Nick Roche, Guido Guidi (CA) Trevor Hutchinson

The Autobot special ops crew, The Wreckers, are sent to investigate Garrus-9, a prison that fell to the Decepticons three years ago with no communication in or out since. Who's really behind the prison siege, and what dark secret awaits Springer there? The answers to those questions will send this mission to the razor's edge! This Red Label edition of Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers collects all five issues of the limited series and is limited to 250 copies. The book contains a mounted signature page signed by Nick Roche, Guido Guidi and James Roberts and hand-numbered to 250. This special edition also contains a portfolio of six lithographs featuring the team-up illustrations Guido Guidi and Nick Roche drew for the Blue Label edition. Stamped with the IDW Limited Black Foil Imprint, this edition also includes: an exclusive cover only available through this IDW Limited release; a limited-edition, custom-designed tray case; a vellum title-page overlay; new end pages; and a black satin ribbon bookmark. NOTE: Limited to 250 copies; allocations may occur. Scheduled in stores 07/31/13. (4793) 

TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION ONE #95

(W) Simon Furman (A) Guido Guidi (CA) Andrew Wildman, Guido Guidi

AND ONE SHALL RISE! Yep, a there's a new Prime on the block (and the old one isn't gone yet), and just in the nick of time too, as Cybertron shudders and reels under the dual assault of BLUDGEON and his WarWorld and a spitting mad GALVATRON. But is the advent of RODIMUS PRIME a boon for Cybertron or one more dark domino falling in the headlong rush to universal armageddon?

$3.99

TRUE BLOOD VOLUME 6: HERE WE GO AGAIN HC

(W) Michael McMillian (A) Michael Gaydos, Beni Lobel (CA) Michael Gaydos

With creative collaboration from TRUE BLOOD creator/writer/producer Alan Ball, actor/writer Michael McMillian begins a climactic arc that threatens to rip up Bon Temps at its roots and has a former Merlotte's waitresses returning from the dead!

$21.99

My wife used to love this show, but eventually drifted away from it. (I thought it implausible from the outset, and didn't enjoy it.) How about the comics? Anybody know?

VITRIOL THE HUNTER TP

(W) Bill Martin, Brent Allen (A/CA) Bill Martin

They own the night... they yearn for the day! In this gothic sci-fi adventure, Billy Martin (guitarist of Good Charlotte) and Brent Allen bring a new grisly horror to life! As Basilika City's last great hope, Vitriol stands as the only force that can stop Lord Barthus and his heinous vampire regime from overtaking the city.

$19.99

X-FILES SEASON 10 #1 4TH PTG

(W) Joe Harris (A) Michael Walsh (CA) Carlos Valenzuela

Fourth printing of the sold out blockbuster debut! For years they investigated the paranormal, pursued the "monsters of the week," and sought the truth behind extraterrestrial activity, along with the grand conspiracy surrounding it rooted deep within their own government. But when Agents Mulder and Scully reunite for a new, ongoing series that ushers The X-Files into a new era of technological paranoia, multinational concerns and otherworldly threats, it'll take more than a desire "to believe" to make it out alive. The X-Files: Season 10 also sees creator Chris Carter return to the fold as Executive Producer! Scheduled to ship 10/16/13. (4793)

$3.99

X-FILES SEASON 10 #2 4TH PTG

(W) Joe Harris (A) Michael Walsh (CA) Carlos Valenzuela, Photo

Fourth printing of the sold out second issue! "Believers," Part 2 of 5. Dana Scully has survived abduction, cancer, motherhood by mysterious means, and surrendering her "miracle" baby. But she's never encountered anything like these "Acolytes" before, or the mysterious "Deacon" who's saved her from them. Plus, Mulder follows a lead to Arlington National Cemetery and the final resting place of the "Lone Gunmen." Scheduled to ship 10/16/13. (4793)

$3.99

X-FILES SEASON 10 #3 2ND PTG

(W) Joe Harris (A) Michael Walsh (CA) Carlos Valenzuela

Second printing of the sold-out third issue!  "Believers," Part 3 of 5: The Acolytes are seeking Scully's lost son, William, and Dana realizes there's more than meets the eye to her abductor, known only as the Deacon. Meanwhile, Mulder uncovers more of the truth than he can handle when an old, cigarette-smoking "friend" pays him a visit. Scheduled to ship 10/30/13. (4793)

$3.99

ZOMBIE WAR #1

(W) Kevin Eastman, Tom Skulan (A/CA) Kevin Eastman, Eric Talbot

When the denizens of Earth's military cemeteries begin to rise from the dead, who will stop them? Over ZOMBIE WAR's two giant-sized issues, Jina, a tough-as-nails fighter pilot sets about uncovering what reanimated these heavily armed monsters and more importantly, what will stop them?! Featuring scripts and layouts by TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman and art by Eric Talbot (Heavy Metal), this new incarnation will present ZOMBIE WAR in full color for the first time, courtesy of TMNT colorist Ronda Pattison!

$3.99

Wow -- one of the TMNT guys goes Full Monty Zombie. I don't really know what to think about that.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1801238131?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936107792?profile=RESIZE_320x320

ALL NEW X-MEN #16 2ND PTG

1936107954?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Brian Michael Bendis (A) Stuart Immonen (CA) David Lopez

From Marvel Comics. Battle of the Atom Part 2! Wolverine vs. Future X-Men! Young Scott Summers and Jean Grey run away to stay in the present day! Scheduled to ship 10/23/13. (161)

$3.99

I thought I was the only one who had a (largely sentimental) love for the old, original X-Men. But, boy, they've sure been popular lately. If everyone loved them that much back in 1970, they'd never have been canceled!

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAREDEVIL #32

1936108155?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARK WAID (W) • CHRIS SAMNEE (A/C)

THOR BATTLE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE

• The Man Without Fear--trapped in a nightmare situation!

• Something final is building in Daredevil’s life--and building fast!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Still good.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180FF #13

1936110092?profile=RESIZE_180x180MATT FRACTION (W) • MICHAEL ALLRED (A/C)

• Doom the Annihilating Conqueror ascends! Is this the beginning of the end of everything?

• Who Watches the Wee Watcher?

• What is the horrible secret of UNDERSPACE?

• And two students transfer in at the best worst moment imaginable. FINALLY! MORE KIDS!

32 PGS./Rated T …$2.99

This is getting rebooted soon, yes? I'm guessing that means poor sales. How the mighty have fallen.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #14

1936112214?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARK WAID (W) • MATTEO SCALERA (A)

Cover by MUKESH SINGH

Time Travel Variant by MIKE DEL MUNDO

LEGO Variant Cover by Leonel Castellani

“HULK AGENT OF T.I.M.E.” PART 5!

• The secret of the CHRONARCHISTS--and their impact on the entire MARVEL UNIVERSE!

• One last time-trip--to a certain Gamma Bomb explosion of yore!

• In order to save the timestream, HULK will have to undo his own origin!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180INFINITY HEIST #2

1936112341?profile=RESIZE_180x180Frank Tieri (W)

Al Barrionuevo (A/C)

• Thanos’ armies invade – it’s the perfect cover for the crime of the century!

But as Spymaster unveils his plan, what the hell’s wrong with Blizzard?

• Frank Tieri and Al Barrionuevo continue this trip to the dark side!

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180INFINITY HUNT #3

1936114253?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Matt Kindt (A) Steven Sanders (CA) Slava Pasarin

• Thanos' forces have attacked the Earth, but what part of his plan involves the super youth of the world?

•  See the attacks on the Avengers Academy, Jean Grey School, Future Foundation, Braddock Academy, Wakandan School of Alternative Studies, the Pan-Asian School for the Unusually Gifted and the Latverian School of Sciences!

•  The students at all of the world's super schools try to put into play everything they've learned as they fight side-by-side with their super teachers!

$3.99

I guess I'll read all this Infinity stuff in trade. I hope it makes more sense in that format than "Age of Ultron" did.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180Special Preview

IRON MAN #17

1936114441?profile=RESIZE_180x180KIERON GILLEN (W) • MAHMUD ASRAR (A)

Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN

Classified Baby Variant by GREG LAND AND DAVID MARQUEZ

LEGO Variant Cover by Leonel Castellani

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

You Thought You Knew The Whole Story — You Were Wrong!

You think know the story of Tony Stark. Billionaire genius. Armored Avenger. But this October, everything you know will change in an instant as The Secret Origin of Tony Stark comes to its shocking conclusion in IRON MAN #17!

From blockbuster creative team Kieron Gillen, Carlo Pagulayan and Scott Hanna, evil android 451 has all the answers when it comes to Tony Stark — or does he? Nothing will ever be the same as the true secret of Tony’s past is revealed!

“Building this has been an incredible experience on many levels”, said series editor Mark Paniccia. “I asked Kieron to come up with something big for IRON MAN’s 50th Anniversary and he came back with an idea that was big and extremely bold. I didn’t think it would fly with the higher-ups. But they saw the potential to expand Tony’s character and knew what Kieron had was not just great but an important story … a story that embraced the kind of realism that Marvel is known for. Tony’s world will change…hell, anybody’s would.”

“We’ve got a character coming into Tony’s life that no one will expect—but fans will love”, adds Paniccia. “There’s a sense of destiny here, and the stories that will follow are leading to more intense moments and some really cool new villains.”

With his life turned upside-down and his enemies closing in, can the Invincible Iron Man live up to his name? Everything changes in the mind-blowing IRON MAN #17!

This was delayed a week, but I don't know why.

1936116745?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936116933?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936117105?profile=RESIZE_320x320

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY FEATURING SIF VOL 2: SEEDS OF DESTRUCTION TP

1936119108?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by KATHRYN IMMONEN

Penciled by MATTEO SCALERA & VALERIO SCHITI

Cover by JEFF DEKAL

Beta Ray Bill returns! After her recent misadventures, Sif is working on controlling her berserker rages. But when a certain hammer-wielding, space-faring ex shows up, all bets are off! Can the burly Bill and the scorching Sif deny their fiery past? Do they even want to? And when the mysterious spaceship the Ark turns against them, it’s all swords and hammers on deck as allies mutate, dead exes arise, and the ship gives up its secrets! To save the goddess Gaea, Sif and Beta Ray Bill race to stop the Ark — and the finish line is Asgardia! Plus: Volstagg’s daughter only wanted a midnight snack, but something is rampaging in the lower kitchens of Asgardia! Sif, Thor, the Warriors Three and more must join forces to chain the vicious beast once and for all. Collecting JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY (1952) #651-655.

112 PGS./Rated T+ …$15.99

I have had a crush on Sif since her introduction back in the '60s. So I'm thrilled that she is headlining a book, which means there should be time for some cool characterization and back story. The first trade didn't offer that, and instead could have been subtitled "Sif Learns a Lesson," which puts me in the mind of a lot of regrettable stories in Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane. C'mon, Marvel, give us a Sif that impresses both men and women!

1936121281?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL: NOW WHAT?! #1

1936126564?profile=RESIZE_180x180SKOTTIE YOUNG, SCOTT ADSIT, WYATT CENAC, GERRY DUGGAN,

BRIAN POSEHN, SARA SCHAEFER & MORE (W)

SKOTTIE YOUNG, ERIC CANETE, COLLEEN COOVER,

STEVE LIEBER, PATRICK OLLIFFE & MORE (A)

Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG

• Get ready for the NOWest book in Marvel NOW History – Marvel NOW WHAT?!

• SEE NOW! Captain America get Cat Fished! SEE NOW! The Intervention of the Watcher! SEE NOW! The Wedding of Thor and Storm!

• All that and more as a cast of comedy’s shining stars and Marvel’s most exciting artists bring you the stories of Marvel NOW that you never thought you’d ever want to see – but you do want ot see it, and you want it NOW!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

1936121281?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL MASTERWORKS: SGT. FURY VOLUME 1 TP

1936126758?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126838?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by STAN LEE

Penciled by JACK KIRBY & DICK AYERS

Cover by JACK KIRBY & MICHAEL KELLEHER

Wa-hooo! It’s time for Marvel’s first-ever war Masterworks with the tales of Sgt. Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos! Prepare yourself for drama, intrigue, humor and action galore! Sgt. Fury, Dum Dum Dugan and the rest of the Howlers battle more Nazis than you can shake a bayonet at, team up with Captain America and Bucky, battle the nefarious Barons Strucker and Zemo, and set out to capture Adolf Hitler himself! Brought to you by Sgt. Stan Lee, with art by Infantryman Jack Kirby and Cpl. Dick Ayers, Fury’s World War II exploits are so explosive you’d better wear a helmet while you read this one. So get off your duff and reserve your copy today, goldbrick! That’s an order! Collecting SGT. FURY (1963) #1-13.

320 PGS./All Ages …$24.99

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: SGT. FURY VOL. 1 TPB — VARIANT EDITION VOL. 58 (DM ONLY)

320 PGS./All Ages …$24.99

It's amazing that this book, which really didn't run all that long, holds such an outsized position in my Silver Age memory. I dunno why, so I'm hoping you guys will read this and tell me why.

1936121281?profile=RESIZE_180x180NOVA #9

1936128073?profile=RESIZE_180x180ZEB WELLS (W) • PACO MEDINA (A)

Cover by ED MCGUINNESS

INFINITY TIE-IN!

• The events of INFINITY have Sam Alexander in over his head, but he’s about to get back up from some Nice Entertaining Wallflowers Who--okay, this is exhausting. They’re a couple of dudes from the New Warriors.

• Will Nova help them put their team back together?

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

I never liked Rich Ryder, and I think the helmet looks stupid, so I've never been a Nova fan. Now it's a new kid with the same stupid helmet. Any reason I should read this, Legionnaires?

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAVAGE WOLVERINE #10

1936128098?profile=RESIZE_180x180JOCK (W) • JOCK (A/C)

• Part 2 of a futuristic sci-fi Wolverine adventure from fan-favorite writer/artist Jock!

• Logan has managed to survive so far on the alien planet he’s been forced to call home.

• But now, a mysterious child has arrived on the planet with a single-minded mission – to kill Wolverine!

• When the truth of the child’s past – and its connections to Logan’s own – is revealed, Logan will have more than mere survival on his mind!

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

I am suffering from Wolverine Fatigue.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SECRET AVENGERS #10

1936130097?profile=RESIZE_180x180ED BRISSON (W) • LUKE ROSS (A)

Cover by NIC KLEIN

LEGO Variant Cover by Leo Castellani

INFINITY TIE-IN

• With the Avengers off-world, what will S.H.I.E.L.D. do when Thanos strikes?

• It’s up to Maria Hill, Nick Fury and Agent Coulson to repel the invasion!

• …and what’s the deal with the newest member of the Secret Avengers?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I've been slow to embrace this book -- that is to say, to buy the first trade -- because the last iteration of this title suffered such an abrupt and exaggerated drop in quality (from Warren Ellis in the early issues to Rick Remender in the later ones). But I'll eventually order it, because it is a very good and plausible concept.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180SPIDER-MAN: LIFE IN MAD DOG WARD TP

1936131551?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ANN NOCENTI

Penciled by CYNTHIA MARTIN & CHRIS MARRINAN

Cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

A chance encounter with two traumatized children leaves Peter Parker haunted by one question: “What’s the matter with Mommy?” But his search for an answer finds him trapped in the Mad Dog Ward, an asylum for killers, psychopaths — and people who think they’re super heroes! As the drugs kick in, Peter’s grasp on reality dissolves and his memories of Spider-Man fade. Can he piece his double identity back together, discover the horrible truth behind the Mad Dog Ward and reunite a mother with her family? And if he can, will he only succeed in unleashing a deluded and dangerous new super hero on an unsuspecting world? Collecting WEB OF SPIDER-MAN (1985) #33, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #295, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #133 and SPIDER-MAN (1990) #29-31.

144 PGS./Rated T …$19.99

SUPERIOR CARNAGE #4

1936131687?profile=RESIZE_180x180KEVIN SHINICK (W) • STEPHEN SEGOVIA (A)

Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN

• It’s the moment you’ve been waiting for! SUPERIOR CARNAGE vs SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN with enough blood and bluster to rival Sunday nights on HBO.

• KEVIN SHINICK (Avenging Spider-Man) and STEPHEN SEGOVIA (X-Treme X-men) will never have a career in politics after what they’ve done to the mayor’s office.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I actually really enjoy Superior Spider-Man, but I find I don't have any interest in the spin-off books. Am I missing anything, Legionnaires?

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM UP #5

1936134027?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHRISTOPHER YOST (W) • MARCO CHECCHETTO (A)

Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

THE SUPERIOR SIX BEGINS!

• For months, Spider-Man has been collecting the members of the Sinister Six, holding them captive... but why? • Is Doctor Octopus finally showing his true colors? Everything has been building to this!

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

See comment above.

THOR: WAR OF THE PANTHEONS TP

1936136341?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A) Various (CA) Ron Frenz

It's the beginning of a new era for the mighty Thor - but it just might be the end of the Norse gods! With Asgard adrift in space, Thor must sacrifice all when he finds himself in a losing battle to protect the planet Pangoria against the unimaginably powerful Celestials! But when Seth the Serpent God unleashes an all-out assault on Asgard, can the Norse gods defeat his ruthless army without their greatest warrior? Plus: Thor takes on the Hulk, clashes with the Celtic Lord of Lightning, battles Quicksand and tackles the maddening Mongoose alongside Spider-Man! Earth Force targets Hogun for death! A watershed moment for Captain America! Surtur makes his demonic return! And introducing Eric Masterson and the Thor of the 24th century! Collecting THOR (1966) #383-400.

$34.99

I hate to say it, but with the exception of Walt Simonson's run and the Lee-Kirby "Tales of Asgard," today's Thor is better than almost all previous eras. There really aren't a whole lot of prior Thor stories that need to be preserved for the ages. It's almost always been a mediocre, mid-level title.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180THUNDERBOLTS #17

1936138726?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Charles Soule (A) Jefte Palo (CA) Julian Totino Tedesco

INFINITY TIE-INS!

•  The 'Bolts ' "Perfect Plan " is going of the rails in Thanos ' wake !

•  One of the Black Order sets her sights on the Red Leader !

$2.99

I read the first T-Bolts trade and absolutely hated it. Has it gotten any better?

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #28

1936138842?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W)

DAVID MARQUEZ (A/C)

“SPIDER-MAN NO MORE” CONCLUDES

• The end of the first chapter of the MILES MORALES saga

• Miles discovers one of the big secrets of his origin.

• Guest starring CLOAK AND DAGGER and SPIDER-WOMAN

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

From what I've read, the Ultimate U may go away soon. Sorry for those of you with several longboxes of Ultimate books.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY AVENGERS #13

1936141308?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936143829?profile=RESIZE_180x180RICK REMENDER (W) • Daniel Acuña (A)

Cover by John Cassaday

Ragnarök is now!

• Against his masters’ orders a deranged and vengeful Sentry kills an Uncanny Avenger! No hoax, no dream and only the first casualty of many!

• To allow reinforcements from other eras The Wasp must find and destroy the Twins Tachyon transmitter, but first she’ll have to defeat The Grim Reaper.

• Scarlet Witch makes an impossible choice that will define her forever.

• Sunfire and Rogue, alone without back up, must defeat the combined might of both Apocalypse Twins or watch the end of our world!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Have I mentioned that I really don't care for Rick Remender's work? And yet, this is a core Avengers book that I have to read to keep up with the franchise, which is now the heart of Marvel U. So, unless I want to become Captain TV or Captain Movies, I will have to read this. But it's under protest.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY AVENGERS VOLUME 2: APOCALYPSE TWINS PREMIUM HC

1936145934?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Rick Remender, Gerry Duggan (A) Daniel Acuña, Adam Kubert (CA) John Cassaday

The future begins in the past! It's a clash of the titans in the 11th century as Thor battles Apocalypse! The Avengers' ancestors are being hunted, with Rama-Tut and Kang pulling the strings, and only a young Thor can save his future companions! And in the present day, the beginning of the end looms as the Apocalypse Twins debut! Why do they seek to anger the Celestials? What is their connection to Kang? And how is Thor responsible for their mighty power! As Apocalypse's Ship attacks S.W.O.R.D.'s Peak station, a Celestial meets a shocking fate, and the Four Horsemen of Death are unleashed! And as the Apocalypse Twins' new henchmen shatter the Uncanny Avengers body and soul, Wolverine discovers the Midnight City - and immediately wishes he hadn't. When all hope dies, Ragnarok begins! Plus: Kang and the The Apocalypse Twins enter the Age of Ultron, but what do they want? Collecting UNCANNY AVENGERS #6-11 & #8AU.

$24.99

Sigh.

VENOM #42

1936148702?profile=RESIZE_180x180CULLEN BUNN (W)

JORGE COELHO (A)

Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

• It’s all out war... with Venom, Mania, Crossbones, the DOA, and... Mephisto?

• But who’s on whose side?

• Mania’s final fate is revealed! Will she keep the symbiote?

• Is this the end of Venom’s dance with the devil? Or just the beginning?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #37

1936148816?profile=RESIZE_180x180JASON AARON (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)

Cover by ED MCGUINNESS

Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA

X-MEN: BATTLE OF THE ATOM, PART 9!

• All of the X-Men (present & future) and their adversaries are reeling from the events of Part 8!

• With the adversaries’ Plan A squashed, they turn to their far more sinister Plan B on the grounds of the X-Men’s first adventure!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

• 1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN #5 2ND PTG

1936107156?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Brian Wood (A) David Lopez (CA) Phil Noto

From Marvel Comics. Battle of the Atom Part 3! The X-Men and Future X-Men pursue young Scott and Jean. Not all the X-Men agree that the All-New X-Men should be sent back. The cracks in the new all-female X-Men cast start to show. Scheduled to ship 10/23/13. (161)

$3.99

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN: X-CORPS TP

1936109053?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JOE CASEY

Penciled by IAN CHURCHILL, SEAN PHILLIPS, TOM RANEY, ASHLEY WOOD, RON GARNEY & AARON LOPRESTI

Cover by IAN CHURCHILL

Chamber graduates from Generation X just in time to enjoy the (ahem) celebrity status of being an X-Man — but when his whirlwind romance with a pop star hits the tabloids, is Chamber just the flavor of the month? Plus, the X-Men investigate a mutant brothel in Nevada and gain a troubled new member: the seductive Stacy X! But when the bigoted zealots from the Church of Humanity target all mutants for genocide, can the team’s two newest members pull their weight? Then: Distraught over his true love’s death, Banshee forms a paramilitary mutant team to keep the peace in Europe. But something sinister lurks beneath his good intentions. Who’s really pulling the strings? Plus: The drug-dealing threat of…the Vanisher?! Writer Joe Casey (Vengeance, WildC.A.T.s, Butcher Baker) takes on the X-Men! Collecting UNCANNY X-MEN (1963) #394-409 and ANNUAL 2001.

464 PGS./Rated T+ …$39.99

When Jean Grey was killed the last time, my first thoughT was "At least I won't have to see more covers of her and Wolverine kissing any more." My mistake!

YOUNG AVENGERS #11

1936109230?profile=RESIZE_180x180KIERON GILLEN (W)

JAMIE MCKELVIE (A/C)

THOR BATTLE VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE

• They say you can never go home. For the Young Avengers, it’s not true. They can go home. It’s just that if they do, the universe may end. Better not go home then, eh?

• WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOUNG AVENGERS? YOU’VE DECIDED TO GO HOME? GAHHKKH! YOU GUYS!

• Is Kate Bishop an enemy in waiting? Is this the last we see of the loveable/strangle-able Kid Loki? • Are rhetorical questions a cheap device when writing solicits? All answers revealed, except the last one, which you’ll have to work out by yourselves.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

1936111212?profile=RESIZE_180x180

OTHER PUBLISHERS

A1 ANNUAL VOLUME 1 PX EDITION STERANKO GN

1936113262?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN

(W) Matt Wagner & Various (A) Jim Steranko & Various (CA) Jim Steranko

A1 has been a laboratory for creators to experiment and innovate. Already proving a success with the new monthly comic, this first all-new A1 Annual marks the thrilling return of the award-winning graphic anthology series to bookshelves everywhere!

$22.99

I have no idea what this is. An anthology, maybe?

Titan has sent me a few collections for review, but I've never seen their titles on sale in my town, and for all I know the individual issues aren't available in America at all. (Titan is a UK publisher.)

But anything with Matt Wagner and Jim Steranko in it has to be taken seriously. I'd sure like to see a copy of this GN. Or even an individual issue!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180ACG COLLECTED WORKS FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOLUME 4 HC

1936113288?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(A) Paul Reinman & Various (CA) Ken Bald

They may have been Forbidden to some, but to kids the length and breadth of the United States (and a select few in the UK), Richard Hughes and his tremblin' team of terrific tormenters were where it was at. Big time. Tempus certainly does fugit. Doesn't seem like five minutes since we were putting the finishing touches to the inaugural volume of our Forbidden Worlds hardcover reissue series and already we're on the third book. Stick with the programme, gang-things are starting to get real interesting! Reprints issues #19-25 from July 1953 to January 1954.

$47.99

I am really enjoying these off-brand early 1950s collections. But, of course, I am a weirdo. Even for comic-book fans, I am a weirdo. And that says something!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180AFTERSCHOOL CHARISMA VOLUME 8 TP

1936115366?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Kumiko Suekane

IKKYU SOJUN (1394&1481)

A Buddhist monk of the Rinzai school in the middle Muromachi period, Sojun was rumored to be the illegitimate son of Emperor Go-Komatsu. After leaving home in 1399 to enter the Ankoku-ji temple, in 1410 he became the student of an abbot called Ken'o at Saikin-ji temple. There he was given the name ""Sojun.""He was known for his poetry, comical tanka poems, calligraphic works, and eccentricities. Many stories of Sojun's legendary wit were composed after his death."

$12.99

Here is something that looks Japanese. And as I said last month, I do not understand Japanese culture, and therefore do not understand Japanese comic books, despite being "Captain Comics."

Try to follow me here:

Something the Fredric Werthams and Glenn Becks of the world don't understand (or choose to ignore) is that comic books -- and movies, TV, role-playing games, videogames, and the like -- don't create popular culture. They are a reflection of pop culture. Comic books don't lead public sentiment, they follow it.

Comics, like all media, produce what they think will sell. They don't create the audience, they pander to it. Things that don't sell they drop; things that do sell they make more of.

This is backed up academically, something I know a little about. And study after study shows that media doesn't change the audience. Instead, the audience selects the media that agrees with it, and resents media that tries to tell it something else. Nobody on record has ever done anything because media talked him or her into it. They may have gotten the idea for a particular kind of mayhem from media, but the urge to do so was already present.

Which means that if a kid plays Grand Theft Auto and then butchers his mother, it wasn't Grand Theft Auto that made him do it. He might have bought and played Grand Theft Auto because he was a violent kid with some mixed-up wires in his head, but it wasn't the videogame that made him violent. He was violent to start with. And if you disbelieve that, compare the kid who played the game and then butchered his mother to the millions of kids who played the game and didn't butcher their mothers.

Back in the '50s, this was the line psychologist Fredric Wertham took. He wrote a book and testified to Congress that all of the juvenile delinquents he dealt  with professionally in the New York penal system had read comic books, so therefore comic books caused juvenile delinquency.

You don't have to be a logician to see the flaw in that argument. As my high school calculus teacher used to say, "If it's raining, then it must be wet. But if it's wet, that doesn't mean it's raining." Or as a mathematician would say, "A=B. but that doesn't mean B=A." Or to put it another way, "I'm a boy, and I like rice" doesn't translate to "all boys like rice." (Math has a term for this, like "associative principle" or something, but it's been 30 years since I took math!)

So where was I? Oh, yeah, Japanese comics.

Japanese comics, like American comics, pander to the culture in which they sell. What doesn't sell, they drop. What sells, they make more of.

They make enough romance comics for girls that is has a name: shojo. They make enough action comics for boys that it has a name: Shonen. And they make enough porn that it has a name: Hentai. Ipso facto, these categories are something Japanese people have an interest in seeing.

That's all well and good, but then there are areas that, frankly, creep me out. Japanese publishers make enough comic books about pretty boys fixating on each other romantically that it has a name: Yaoi. Ditto for girl-on-girl. And virtually every genre is replete with underage girls in school uniforms, who are depicted as objects of desire, and often take showers for no reason.

The fact that all of these things -- things that represent contradictory impulses in America -- are true tells me that I do not understand Japanese culture. And that misunderstanding often leads me to places I am not comfortable with. Even the mildest of Japanese comics will suddenly shift into some Pander Mode(tm) that is disturbing to me. For example, I was enjoying the heck out of Mai the Psychic Girl, until suddenly this 12- or 13-year-old girl decided to take a shower for no reason. Her privates were displayed in a way that was meant to be sexually arousing. In American culture that's child porn, and it made me realllllly uncomfortable. Then, without comment or explanation, Mai the Psychic Girl went right back to the adventure story.

I am confused by this. So I address all Japanese comics with the understanding that I know nothing. And I state on the front end that I know nothing. Also, I am suspicious when I read Japanese comics that at any minute an underage girl might become naked, and I have my guard up.

Which, of course, is why we have The Baron, who seems to know more about Japanese culture than I do about American culture. And I rely on him heavily.

For example: Baron, what the heck is this? What age group is it aimed at? And will schoolgirls suddenly take showers for no reason?

ALIENS VS PARKER #4

1936115574?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERAINMENT

(W) Paul Scheer, Nick Giovannetti (A) Manuel Bracchi (CA) Joshua Covey

After the vicious alien onslaught that decimated (read: eaten) the bad-ass marines protecting them, the rag-tag SPACE-EX crew must figure out a way to survive!

But an even more terrifying threat than the aliens who thirst for their blood may be lurking in their midst, and even worse, touching their stuff...

From comedian Paul Scheer (NTSF:SD:SUV::, THE LEAGUE, HUMAN GIANT) and writer Nick Giovannetti comes a sci-fi action comedy for fans of SHAUN OF THE DEAD and ALIENS!

$3.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALL NEW EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT IRIS #2

1936117624?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936117827?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

(W) Steve Buccellato (A) Pasquale Qualano (CA) Francis Manapul

It's an all-new direction for the Executive Assistant that started it all!

Shao and his cadre of armed mercenaries confront Iris and Maly, but the true conflict is not found in their present-but, in their past. The brutal sacrifice of Maly's actions many years ago have now come back to haunt her, and force Iris to make a decision she's not entire comfortable making. A decision that could be extremely dangerous for her future!

Aspen is proud to welcome writer Brian Buccellato and penciler Pasquale Qualano to the Iris family! Along with colorist John Starr, this incredible creative team is ready to bring you an ALL NEW EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT IRIS unlike anything you've ever seen before!

$3.99

I expect that Brubaker and Epting will do a much better job with this concept in Velvet.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180ANTARES VOLUME 3: EPISODE 3 GN

1936119762?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

(W/A/CA) LEO

Stranded in a hostile alien jungle, business as usual for Kim Keller. Bad luck, shoddy equipment and hostile fauna have stranded Kim and her companions thousands of miles from the Antares expedition's base camp. Abandoned to their fate by the fanatical leaders who cannot abide Kim's independent streak, wracked by internal dissent, the little group must make its way back through an unknown, terrifying land - a long journey that will raise many questions and cost many lives.

$11.95

Not sure what this is, so it's possible it's Japanese, and underage schoolgirls will show up any minute and take their clothes off. [Captain squints eyes suspiciously.]

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180 ARCHIE & FRIENDS DOUBLE DIGEST #32

1936120015?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Archie may be the king of high school-but what happens when high school's over? When Reggie introduces him to the Associated College Simulation Program, Archie gets the chance to see what college life will be like-virtually, that is! Archie gets a taste of exams, parties and girls. Will he be able to adjust to college life? Or will this simulated look into his future freak him out even more? Find out in "College Kidder," the four-part frenzy that kicks off this fun-filled double digest!

Script: Mike Pellowski

Art: Rex Lindsey, Rich Koslowski, Bill Yoshida, Barry Grossman

Cover: Dan Parent, Rich Koslowski

160-page, full color comic

$3.99 US.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180 ARCHIE THE MARRIED LIFE VOLUME 4 TP

1936126448?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

The fourth volume of Archie's highly acclaimed graphic novel series features celebrated writer Paul Kupperberg's tight-knit ongoing romantic storyline of Archie as a young newlywed in two very different universes-one where he marries wealthy socialite Veronica Lodge and the other where he marries girl-next-door Betty Cooper.

In this volume, life is turned upside-down for our red-headed hero and both of his alternate universe brides. Kevin's wedded bliss is cut short when tragedy strikes the hometown hero and his husband, launching him into a career he never thought he'd enter! And the ball gets rolling on Betty and Reggie's reality TV deal-but can Betty and Reggie run their shops and stay in a healthy relationship with cameras on them 24/7? Meanwhile an old "friend" returns with some shocking news! Featuring a surprise guest appearance by Josie and the Pussycats! Archie: The Married Life Book 4 collects issues 19-24 of the popular Life With Archie magazine.

Script: Paul Kupperberg

Art: Fernando Ruiz, Pat Kennedy, Tim Kennedy, Bob Smith, Jim Amash, and Glenn Whitmore

Cover: Fernando Ruiz

Trade Paperback

272pp, Full Color

I enjoy these trades far more than I should. Kudos to the current management of Archie Comics, which is being aggressively experimental.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180ARMY OF DARKNESS/REANIMATOR ONE-SHOT

1936127810?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Mark Rahner (A) Randy Valiente (CA) Dietrich Smith

Ash is hurled into an American graveyard in the 1920s and meets an intense young doctor named Herbert West. If the name sounds familiar, West's obsessed with reanimating the dead at any cost. But he just can't seem to find corpses that are fresh enough. If the setting isn't, it's H.P. Lovecraft's New England - and his bizarre original short story as the source material. Bonus!  Also featuring a reprint of Re-Animator #0!

$4.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180B & V FRIENDS DOUBLE DIGEST #236

bvfdd236.150.jpg?width=150Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Veronica in “The Doghouse!” – Who’s the most privileged pet in Riverdale? Why, it must be Veronica’s dog Fifi! However, when Veronica’s snooty cousin comes to visit and her dog’s doghouse upstages Fifi’s, Fifi refuses to settle for less than the best! Can Veronica create a living space for the likes of her classy canine? And what will her father think of the expense?

Script: Dan Parent

Art: Dan Parent, Jim Amash, Teresa Davidson, Barry Grossman

Cover: Dan Parent, Bob Smith, Rosario ‘Tito’ Peña

$3.99 US.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180BETTY & VERONICA #268

bv268.150.jpg?width=150bv268v.150.jpg?width=150Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Betty & Veronica in “Reggiestiltskin”—Archie’s take on classic fairy tales continues with Betty and Veronica as two peasant girls who fall in love with a Prince named Archie—unfortunately Prince Archie is already betrothed to the evil princess Cheryl! When Cheryl finds out that Archie’s interested in the two peasants, she imprisons the girls in her dungeon. The only way they can be set free is to spin straw into gold—psh, yeah right—how is that possible?! Throw an evil little troll into the mix and things REALLY get crazy. Will he be their key to freedom or will he only make things worse? And what exactly is that little weirdo’s name? Prepare for more fairy tale fun in this reimagining of Rumplestiltskin!

Art: Jeff Shultz, Bob Smith, Jack Morelli

Cover: Dan Parent

Storybook Variant Cover: Stephanie Buscema

$2.99 US.

It seems like every other movie, TV show or comic book is riffing off old fairy tales, so why shouldn't Archie get into the act? They already have an age-appropriate repertoire company in place!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180BETTY & VERONICA'S PRINCESS STORYBOOK TP

1936127873?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

The fairytale fun continues in Betty and Veronica's Princess Storybook, the follow-up to the successful Betty & Veronica: Storybook graphic novel! The two BFFs take on some of the most beloved fairytales including Rapunzel, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Little Mermaid, and Rumpelstiltskin, with a little help from their friends! It's classic storybook tales told through the extra special Archie Comics lens!

Art: Dan Parent, Jeff Shultz, Bob Smith, Alitha Martinez, Renae DeLiz, Jill Thompson, Fiona Staples, Stephanie Buscema and Jack Morelli

Cover: Dan Parent

Trade Paperback

128pp, Full Color

See above.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180BETTY BLUES HC

1936129476?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: NBM

(W/A/CA) Renaud Dillies

Little Rice Duck has built himself quite the reputation around the West Wood, playing his trumpet in bars with their smoky, sweaty ambience, tequila sunrises, and jazz. But between his trumpet and his flame Betty, things are going astray. Betty is drowning her need of him in expensive champagne, something someone else is more than happy to provide - something he'd much prefer, like her, would just stay chilled. By the author of the acclaimed & Eisner-nominated graphic novels Bubbles & Gondola and Abelard.

$18.99

It feels natural that comics and music should go together, but they don't. They just don't.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180BIG NATE: I CAN'T TAKE IT TP

1936131040?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: POCKET BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Lincoln Peirce

Life can be stressful for Nate Wright. At school, Mrs. Godfrey makes every day a nightmare.  At home, he's stuck between Ellen, his incredibly annoying older sister, and Dad, perhaps the most clueless parent of all time.  And don't get him started on Gina, the ultimate teacher's pet, or Artur, the unassuming exchange student who bests him at every turn. It's enough to make even a can-do kid like Nate scream, "I can't take it!"

$9.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLAKE & MORTIMER VOLUME 15: SECRET OF THE SWORDFISH PART 1 GN

1936132995?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

(W/A/CA) Edgar P. Jacobs

The original adventures of Francis Blake and Philip Mortimer - and their first encounter with Olrik. In a past almost, but not entirely, like ours, the world lives in dread of a new power, an empire centred in Tibet and led by a megalomaniac. When the inevitable attack comes, it destroys all opposition, and capital cities across the planet are left burning. But, in Great Britain, Professor Mortimer, inventor of a mysterious weapon named the Swordfish, and his friend and protector Captain Blake, have escaped the destruction, and must make their way to a secret base./p>

$15.95

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRAVEST WARRIORS #13

1936135062?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Joey Comeau (A) Mike Holmes (CA) Tyson Hesse, Kory Bing

IT'S A GREAT PAIR OF SOCKS!

BRAVEST WARRIORS is like throwing a whole thing of mentos into a 2liter of diet soda. You know what will happen, but you still have to do it...don't fight that urge. The aftermath might be a little messy, but you know you had a blast all the way to the end.

$3.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHOOSE THEIR FATE #1

1936137252?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: SHH PRODUCTIONS

(W) Johnny Depth (A/CA) Peter Pants

Just when you thought this bawdy and naughty, photo comic series was over, readers have the ability to go back in time and change fate by choosing their own adventure from inside Lake Erie's Womens Penitentiary! The disturbingly perverted Doktormentor has hired you as his new assistant, allowing you to invent new cruel and unusual punishments for the female inmates. Do you have what it takes to make these bodacious bad girls your next sexperiment? Or will you order them to strip naked before your very eyes? Every three pages is another chance to change the direction of the story as you become the one they fear or desire most, depending on what you decide!

$9.95

This makes me laugh out loud. Is it the comic-book equivalent of exploitation movies like Caged Heat? Whatever it is, it feels very retro and naughty.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180DANCE CLASS VOLUME 6: MERRY OLDE CHRISTMAS HC

1936137387?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: NBM

(W) Beka (A/CA) Crip

What could be better than Christmas? Christmas in London, that's what! Julie, Lucie, and Alia are excited to get a letter from their friend Prune, inviting them to visit her in England. This is going to be the vacation of a lifetime! The only problem is that Prune doesn't exactly have time off in mind; she wants the girls to help her pull off a Christmas musical, which wouldn't be too bad if rival Carla hadn't come along for the occasion, as well. The competition will be stiff, and the girls will have to use all their dance skills to make this a yuletide memory for the ages!

$10.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• DEATH SENTENCE #2

1936111282?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN

(W) Monty Nero (A/CA) Michael Dowling

Given incredible superpowers - and six months to live - by the sexually-transmitted G+ virus, three Londoners kick back against the spectre of death with everything they've got.

$3.99

This is a Titan comic book, which means I probably won't see it until it's in trade. And I'm content to wait. Just like Japanese comics have their own cultural imperatives, so do UK comics. I'm not sociologist enough to explain the whys, but I know what to expect: Shallow, exploitative and snarky comics with no heroes. Sort of ADD Constantine.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEPARTMENT OF MONSTEROLOGY #1

1936113431?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RENEGADE ARTS ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Gordon Rennie (A/CA) P. j. Holden

Investigating the Dark Forgotten Corners of our World, one Monster at a Time. Following the Department of Cryptozoology, as they find and fight undead armies from the sands of Egypt, Cold Ones from the depths, and the people hell-bent n using them all for evil.

$3.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180DISGAEA 3 VOLUME 2: SCHOOL OF DEVILS GN

1936115581?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: UDON ENTERTAINMENT CORP

(W/A/CA) Shin Sasaki

A well-behaved demon is no demon at all! As Mao's stolen "Hero" title continues to turn him from the schoolyard bad boy into a goody two-shoes, he hatches a new scheme to defeat his overlord Father and rule the Netherworld! But will Evil Academy senior student Salvatore take Mao out before his plans come to fruition?

$14.95

So here's some more Japanese comics, these with characters with spiky, unnaturally-colored  hair and too-big eyes. I don't know what that means, but it's a pretty common phenomenon in Japanese comics.

Baron? You there? Anybody else know?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180FANBOYS VS. ZOMBIES #19

1936115846?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Shane Houghton (A/CA) Jerry Gaylord

"4 Stories of the Apocalypse" is back with a blast from the past...and a peek at what's to come! Following their escape from San Diego, Rob and Burger hunkered down in Mexico to lick their wounds. But once they rejoined the Wrecking Crew, whatever happened to the kindhearted, traindrivin' Mexicans who helped save their lives? Find out here!

$3.99

Wait -- I thought fanboys were zombies. I'm so confused!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180FUTURAMA COMICS #69

1936117948?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BONGO COMICS

(W) Eric Rogers (A) James Lloyd, Andrew Pepoy (CA) Jason Ho, Mike Rote

After too many years of running MomCorp without a soul, it's finally Mom's heart that is beginning to fail. But what is a multi-millionaire magnate supposed to do when her cryogenically frozen, designated organ donor is defrosted and delivering packages across the galaxy as part of the Planet Express crew?

$2.99

Now that the TV show is canceled, will the comic book be canceled as well?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180GARTH ENNIS ERF HC

1936118086?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

Rating: All Ages

Writer: Garth Ennis

Artists: Rob Steen

Format: Hardcover Trade Paperback

Page Count: 48 pages

At the dawn of time, Erf and his three amphibious friends -- Figwillop, KWAAAH, and the Booper - take their first nervous steps out of the ocean, the beginning of an adventure into the primordial world. As they explore the exciting new lands beyond the shore, they discover that the prehistoric jungle is home to the mighty and terrifying Colossux. What follows is an evolutionary tale of love and loyalty for readers of all ages!

Signed editions will be randomly seeded in with all orders.

Uh ... what?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALES #90

1936118189?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936120243?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936122464?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Patrick Shand (A) TBD (CA) Pasquale Qualano

The Countdown to 100 begins!

Rapunzel part 2. Sela's brush with her past has left her at the brink of destruction. Rapunzel is out for her blood and she just may get it unless another enemy from Sela's recent past can stop her. Will the return of the creature known as Frost save Sela or be her doom?

$2.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALE: WONDERLAND #16

1936122607?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936122682?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126426?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Raven Gregory

The new arc of the hit Wonderland series begins!

Where do you go when there is nowhere left to run? Back to the beginning! Tired of fleeing from Wonderland, Calie and Violet begin to search for answers by delving into Charles Dodsgon's past. But a mysterious force from Wonderland might have other, darker plans in mind for them.

$2.99

GRIMM FAIRY TALE: ZOMBIES AND DEMONS TP

1936127973?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Raven Gregory, Troy Brownfield

Zenescope's UNLEASHED, The comic book event of the year, brings classic fairy tales monsters into the Myth realm of the Grimm Universe. Collect the Unleashed tie-in stories that feature Elijah bashing his way through the zombie hoards, and Masumi slicing her way through the demons in her path to send these monsters back to the Shadowlands! Collects Grimm Fairy Tales: Demons #1-3 and Grimm Fairy Tales: Zombies #1-3.

$15.99

See what I said about fairy tales?

(To tell you the truth, I really dig some of these covers.)

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180GREEN HORNET LEGACY #42

1936129610?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

Covers: Phil Hester

Writer: Jai Nitz

Artist: Jethro Morales

Page Count: 32 pages

FINAL ISSUE!!! This is it! Every hero (even the dead ones!) and every villain (especially the dead ones!) come back for the final showdown in Century City. Who will make the ultimate sacrifice for Century City? This is the ending everyone will be talking about.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARBINGER #17

HAR_017_COVER_KITSON.jpg?width=128 HAR_017_8BIT_VARIANT.jpg?width=123 HAR_017_VARIANT_CHEN.jpg?width=1261801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VALIANT

Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art by CLAYTON HENRY

Cover by BARRY KITSON

A prisoner of the Harbinger Wars...unleashed.

While Peter and the Renegades deal with the devastating fallout of last summer's blockbuster crossover event, an unforeseen threat to Toyo Harada's empire lies dormant deep within the walls of Harada's own fortified prison facility. The Valiant Universe gets larger as a fan favorite character from Harbinger Wars makes their triumphant return!

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

Who's reading Valiant? I've been enjoying them, but I don't hear much conversation. What do you guys think?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARVEY HORRORS: BLACK CAT MYSTERY VOLUME 1 SLIPCASE EDITION

1936130976?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(A) Rudy Palais & Various

Launched in the 1950s, The Black Cat Mystery later evolved into Black Cat, The Black Cat Western, and The Black Cat Mystic. We've collected the mystery titles together for this 4-volume collection. Each contains 5 to 6 issues, digitally enhanced and faithfully reproduced. Each volume also features profiles of some of the artists. Volume 1 reprints issus #30-35 from August 1951 to May 1952.

$119.99

I can't afford these slipcase editions, but rest assured I'm buying all the regular ($50) hardbacks.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARVEY HORRORS: CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOLUME 2: SLIPCASE EDITION

1936131131?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Michael T. Gilbert (A) Glenn Chadbourne & Various

Tales of terror and suspense from this pre-code 1950's classic title! Harvey Horrors originally published 26 issues of the Chamber Of Chills in the 1950's. Featuring a special introduction from Michael T. Gilbert, an illustration of Mr. Monster by Gilbert, and profiles of some of the genre's leading artists (such as Al Avison, Lee Elias, Bob Powell, and Vic Donahue) plus examples of their original artwork, this volume collects the May-October 1952 issues #8-13 in full color. This  slipcased edition features a signed limited edition print of Mr. Monster by Michael T. Gilbert.

$119.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARVEY HORRORS: TOMB OF TERROR VOLUME 3 HC

1936131237?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Howard Nostrand (A) Howard Nostrand & Various (CA) Warren Kremer

Tales beyond belief and imagination from this pre-code 1950's classic title! Tomb of Terror ran for 16 issues and is now collected together in this exclusive 3 volume set. Each volume contains between 5 and 6 issues digitally enhanced and reprinted together for the very first time. each volume will profile some of the leading artists working on the title. This volume collects issues #12-16 from November 1953 to July 1954.

$47.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARVEY HORRORS: TOMB OF TERROR VOLUME 1 SLIPCASE EDITION

1936133580?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Stephen Jones, Randy Broecker

Tales beyond belief and imagination from this pre-code 1950's classic title! From the Harvey Horror stable first published in the 1950's, the Tomb of Terror ran for 16 issues, this volume collects issues #1-5 from June 1952 to November 1952 in this exclusive slipcased edition. With an introduction from Stephen Jones, each volume will profile some of the leading artists working on the title, including greats such as Moe Marcus, John Giunta, and Abe Simon, together with some fine examples of their original artwork. A limited edition print of Stephen Jones by Randy Broecker signed by Stephen JonesIs included in this limited slipcased edition.

$119.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARVEY HORRORS: WITCHES TALES VOLUME 1 SLIPCASE EDITION

1936133706?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Ramsey Campbell (A) Al Avison & Various

Dare you read these eerie tales of the supernatural from this classic title? Witches Tales ran for 28 issues in the 1950's. Digitally enhanced and reproduced in their entirety, with a special introduction from Ramsey Campbell and illustration by Bryan Talbot, this collection of issues #1-7 includes profiles of the leading artists that worked on the publication. Includes a limited edition print of Ramsey Campbell by Bryan Talbot signed by Ramsey & Bryan.

$119.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARVEY HORRORS: WITCHES TALES VOLUME 2 SLIPCASE EDITION

1936135928?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Ramsey Campbell (A) Al Avison & Various

Dare you read these eerie tales of the supernatural from this classic title? Witches Tales ran for 28 issues in the 1950's. Now for the first time we have collected together in this exclusive 4 volume set all of these classic tales. Digitally enhanced and reproduced in their entirety, with a special introduction from Paul Cornell and illustration by Jimmy Broxton. Plus profiles of the leading artists that worked on the publication Jack Sparling, Warren Kremer, John Sink and Tom Hickey with examples of their original artwork. Reprints issues #8-14, March to September 1952.

$119.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUICY CIDER GN

1936138157?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DIGITAL MANGA DISTRIBUTION

(W/A/CA) Rize Shinba

Honor student Taka is hopelessly in love with his totally cute childhood friend, Ken. Always worried about Ken, Taka can never steal a kiss or make love. Though Taka is usually cool and composed, he doesn't know how to get together with Ken! Imagine what their first time would be like..!

$12.95

I'm guessing Yaoi. Baron?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180LARGO WINCH VOLUME 7: GOLDEN GATE GN

1936140525?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

(W) Jean Van Hamme (A/CA) Phillipe Franq

Simon, Largo's friend, has been cast as the lead in a new TV series, Golden Gate. It's produced in part by one of Group W's subsidiaries. When the investigator sent by Dwight Cochrane to examine irregularities in the funding of the series disappears, Largo takes matters into his own hands and heads to the city by the Bay. But what will he find? An innocuous example of bad television? A case of tax evasion? Or something worse?

$11.95

Wait -- "Largo Winch" is a name? Were his parents high when they named him?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180LOOKOUT'S RIDDLE VOLUME 1 #6

1936140601?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CRYPTOZOIC ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Ben McCool (A/CA) Robb Mommaerts

What men must know, a boy must learn. Based on a property by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, the creative minds behind the wildly popular Penny Arcade webcomic. In this exciting issue, The Lookouts confrontation with the Sphinx reaches its peak and we learn about Eli's true abilities.

$3.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180LUCKY LUKE VOLUME 3: FINGERS TP

1936143155?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

(W) Lo Hartog Van, Banda (A/CA) Morris

"Fingers" is a magician, a really, really good one. When his unfortunate kleptomania sends him to jail, he meets the Daltons and soon escapes with them. After Lucky Luke puts everyone back behind bars, he takes pity on Fingers' unfortunate tendencies and agrees to try to rehabilitate him. A daunting, frustrating task, for confusing and complicating matters is second nature to a magician. Riding off into the sunset is going to be a difficult trick this time!

$11.95

I saw this character here and there when I was very young. I'm guessing Lucky Luke's been a staple of European comics for decades, but I don't know a thing about him.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180MEGA MAN #30

1936145299?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936147559?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

It's the ultimate rumble-in-the-jungle for the fate of the planet in "BLACKOUT: The Curse of Ra Moon" Part Two! Mega Man leads Cut Man, Guts Man and Bomb Man through the Amazon in a desperate attempt to save the world! But standing in their way are TWO sets of Dr. Wily's Robot Masters! Things escalate even further when Break Man appears, but is he there to fight Mega Man-or to help? Featuring new cover art from PATRICK "SPAZ" SPAZIANTE and a special Capcom video game-inspired variant cover!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn.

ART: Mike Cavallaro, Gary Martin, John Workman, and Matt Herms

Cover: Patrick Spaziante

Variant cover art provided by Capcom

32-page, full color comic

$2.99 US.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180MEN OF MYSTERY #91

1936149442?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AC COMICS

(W) Ray Herman & Various (A) Reed Crandall & Various (CA) Lou Fine

This "Weird Heroes" issue is full of rare 1940's costumed heroes, most never before reprinted! See FEarless Flint, Sub-Zero, Supermind and Son, Mirror Man, Martan, Atomic Man, White Streak, Flying Fist, Ghost of Flanders, Mouthpiece, Hooded Wasp, Ghost, Phantasmo, Tabu, Lightning, The Face, Phantom Falcon , plus stars Doll Man And Hercules.

$29.95

A Lou Fine cover!

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180MISERY CITY GN

1936151576?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARKOSIA ENTERPRISES LTD

(W) Kostas Zachopoulos (A/CA) Vassilis Gogtzilas

Max Murray is an unlucky trenchcoat detective, forever damned in the concrete labyrinth of Misery City. Hunted by Hell's lurking horrors, he struggles to remain in one piece. Torn between saving his life or saving his soul, Max enters into one man's doomed crusade. Can Mr. Murray find salvation, or will the blind goddess will cast him into the ever-dark of Misery?

$17.99

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180MISSIONS OF LOVE VOLUME 5 GN

1936151636?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Ema Toyama

In school, Yukina is a cold and distant girl, while Shigure appears to be a perfect, good-looking guy. But the two of them have a secret, and their extraordinary "love" is about to start! Yukina, under the pen name "Yupina," is actually a popular cell phone novelist. When she discovers Shigure's devious womanizing ways, she blackmails him to complete daring "missions of love" for her to write about. Will these missions give them an opportunity to fall in love with each other?

$10.99

This cover looks for all the world like a teenage menage-a-trois -- the girl in front has even lost a sock. Is it porn? Is it teen comedy? Beats me: It's Japanese, so it doesn't fit my preconceptions.

• NEMESIS THE WARLOCK DEVIANT EDITION HC

1936107247?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: 2000 AD

(W) Pat Mills (A) Kevin O'Neill, Jesus Redondo (CA) Kevin O'Neill

Termight, a world at the heart of a cruel galactic empire. Located deep in the bowels of the Earth, its inhabitants live in fear of their leader - the diabolically evil Torquemada. Determined to rid the universe of all 'deviant' alien life, the Grand Master and his army of Terminators are opposed by legendary alien freedom fighter, Nemesis the Warlock. Credo!

$48

I used to buy Nemesis when it was reprinted here in America as part of a huge uK line back in the '80s. I'm not sure who was doing those reprints -- Eagle Comics? Marvel? -- but I only bought Nemesis because I was buying all the others, and I'm OCD that way.

I really didn't like it. I think the story -- ham-handed though it was -- was rebellious enough that it sort-of appealed to my American/teenage sensibilities, but I just cannot stomach Kevin O'Neill art. O'Neill has had a long and illustrious career, so there must be a lot of people out there who like his work. I'm not one of them, though, so I won't be getting this. If you're an O'Neill fan, though, have at!

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180NO. 6 VOLUME 3 GN

1936109119?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Atsuko Asano (A/CA) Hinoki Kino

On the run from No. 6, Shion begins moves in with Rat in West Block. Though life outside the comfort of the city is a trial, Shion learns to survive. Meanwhile, back in Chronos, the elite core of No. 6, Safu begins to look into his disappearance only to find herself under arrest! And what can Shion possibly do from exile to help his lifelong friend?

$10.99

Japanese. Mysterious cover. Hold me!

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180NUMBERCRUNCHER #4

1936111188?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN

(W) Simon Spurrier (A) P. j. Holden, P. j. Holden

The shock conclusion of the critically acclaimed temporal afterlife adventure! An epic battle of wits, wills and divine accountancy has twisted across decades and multiple lifetimes, and now the clash between Bastard Zane and the reincarnating Mathematician is coming to a head. Who gets what they want? Who loses everything forever? And, when all the cunning plans and clever tricks have been resolved, is there still one last card to play? Don't miss the epic finish to the miniseries everybody is talking about!

$3.99

English. I can't even guess what it's about.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180PAPERCUTZ SLICES VOLUME 5: FARTING DEAD HC

1936111425?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: NBM

(W) Stefan Petrucha (A/CA) Rick Parker

The parody HAD to happen! When Sheriff Mick Grimey wakes up in a hospital bed, he finds that the zombie apocalypse has begun! Together with Deputy Shame, Old Man Wail, Gnarl, Gory, San Andreas, Merle, No-see-im, and T-Bagg, this ragtag crew must figure out a way to survive. They're going to need batteries, corn dogs, and especially pork rinds, but will even those nutritious supplies help them against a horde of the stupidest, and most flatulent, zombies in history?

The brain-addled team who brought you the smash hit Diary of a Stinky Dead Kid and Harry Potty and the Deathly Boring have been thawed out and revived to bring you this gas of a tale!

$11.99

Oh, here we go, fart humor! That's American, so I get it!

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180PATHFINDER #10

1936113596?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Jim Zub (A) Sean Izaakse (CA) Carlos E. Gomez, Jorge Fares

When the Pathfinder adventurers are hired to scare away bandits who've taken over the abandoned outpost prison called Raven's Watch, they get a lot more than they bargained for. It's a trap!

The hit comic series based on Paizo's incredible award-winning fantasy world, fiction line and tabletop RPG continues! Sword & sorcery fans and gamers alike will enjoy this latest chapter from Paizo Publishing and Dynamite Entertainment.

$3.99

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180PERCY JACKSON & OLYMPIANS VOLUME 3: TITAN'S CURSE GN

1936115809?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HACHETTE BOOK GROUP USA

(W) Rick Riordan, Robert Venditti (A/CA) Attila Futaki

The adventure continues in the exciting sequel to The Sea of Monsters, The Graphic Novel!

When Percy receives an urgent distress call from Grover, he immediately prepares for battle. He knows he'll need his powerful demigod allies, Annabeth and Thalia, at his side; his trusty bronze sword, Riptide; and...a ride from his mom.

The demigods race to the rescue, only to find that Grover has made an important discovery: two new powerful half-bloods, whose parentage is unknown. But that's not all that awaits them. The Titan lord, Kronos, has set up his most devious trap yet, and the young heroes have just fallen prey.

Now, Percy and his friends are faced with their most dangerous challenge-the chilling prophecy of the Titan's Curse. They must rescue the goddess Artemis by the Winter Solstice, or all will be lost...including Annabeth.

Rick Riordan's internationally best-selling The Titan's Curse becomes a graphic novel in the hands of comic-book luminaries Robert Venditti, Attila Futaki, and Greg Guilhaumond.

$19.99

This series of books (and now comics and movies) has always struck me as someone jumping on the Harry Potter bandwagon. Anyone know?

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180PRE-CODE CLASSICS: WEIRD MYSTERIES VOLUME 1 HC

1936117970?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Richard Chizmar

PS Artbooks once again with a new sideline (namely Pre-Code Classics) and lots more tales guaranteed to turn your brain into total mush. Hey, maybe Fred Wertham was right, certainly by looking at the line-ups in these six comics. Collecting Weird Mysteries issues #1-6 from October 1952 to August/September 1953.

$47.99

Yes! Turn my brain to mush! Here's my money!

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• PRICELESS HONEY GN

1936110841?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DIGITAL MANGA DISTRIBUTION

(W/A/CA) Shiuko Kano

A collection of stories featuring beautiful boys and striking art, Shiuko Kano's Priceless Honey features one steamy one-shot after another. Suguri Nagisa, the custodian at an all-boys' school, works at a secret - and quite risqué - part-time job. But what happens when a teacher from the school discovers "Call Boy" Nagisa?

$12.95

More yaoi. I think.

Why do adolescent Japanese girls like this? I think it goes without saying that gay adolescent Japanese boys buy and/or read this genre. But it's officially aimed at adolescent Japanese girls, and it appears they are the ones supporting it financially. American girls wouldn't like this genre, so why do Japanese girls? I just don't get it.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROY THOMAS PRESENTS CAPTAIN VIDEO SLIPCASE ED

1936111363?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Roy Thomas, James Heath Lantz (A) George Evans

Maybe they did have only Army surplus uniforms with lightning bolts sewn on but, by golly, these guys were boldly going on television sets across America long before Captain Kirk and his merry band of star-trekkers. Legendary comic house Fawcett put out six wonderful issues of Captain Video, here's the full run of the comics, lovingly restored to a vibrant four-color life by your chums at PSA! This volumes features all the stories from February 1951 to December 1951. Only 125 Slipcased copies are available, and each features a specially commissioned painting Les Edwards.

$119.99

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHADOWMAN TP VOL 02 DARQUE RECKONING

SM_TPB_002_COVER.jpg?width=123Publisher: VALIANT

Written by JUSTIN JORDAN with PATRICK ZIRCHER

Art by PATRICK ZIRCHER, LEE GARBETT, NEIL EDWARDS, and ROBERTO DE LA TORRE

Cover by PATRICK ZIRCHER

The true price of becoming Shadowman is always paid in blood…and Master Darque intends to collect...

Jack Boniface has just been to Hell and back. After surviving the horrors of the Deadside, Jack is taking his new abilities to the limit and discovering more about the legacy of the Shadowman with each passing night. But what if he wasn’t the only thing that managed to escape back to Earth? Something dark has arrived in New Orleans, leaving death and madness in its black wake. What’s more, the city’s deadliest cartel assassin is after Jack, and he refuses to die – literally...

Collecting SHADOWMAN #5-9 by acclaimed creators Justin Jordan (The Strange Talent of Luther Strode) and Patrick Zircher (Captain America) with Neil Edwards (Dark Avengers), Lee Garbett (X-O Manowar), and Roberto De La Torre (Daredevil), start reading here to follow Jack Boniface headlong into the dark side of the Valiant Universe - and find out why Shadowman is the thrilling series that MTV Geek calls "everything a gripping horror comic should be."

"Five stars… Shadowman delivers on every level." - Comic Vine

"Wildly unpredictable, and very good fun." - The Beat 

$14.99/T+/128 pgs.

TRADE PAPERBACK

One of the best aspects of the old Valiant universe was Master Darque, although my memory might be biased by the frequent Barry Windsor-Smith art.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHRUGGED VOL 2 #4

1936113383?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936113449?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936115629?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936117954?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

(W) Frank Mastromauro (A/CA) Jonathan Marks

The long awaited return of SHRUGGED continues!

Not much hope remains as Lord Slive and his fear creatures have gained control over Perspecta and the Earth. Though all seems lost, Theo isn't giving up and heads to a forgotten land where one last bastion of help may reside. However, the journey itself is a task very few have ever survived, and Theo's chances of making it are not looking up!

Created by Michael Turner and Frank Mastromauro, with illustrations by newcomer Jonathan Marks and colors by Beth Sotelo, make sure to listen to the voices inside your head and pick up the newest issue of SHRUGGED today!

$3.99

I know nothing about this title, but I like how all variant covers fit together in a tryptich four covers that fit together.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180SONIC UNIVERSE #57

su57.150.jpg?width=150Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

"Pirate Plunder Panic” Part Three: THA’RR BE MUTINY ON THE HIGH SEAS! As Capt. Metal and Capt. Whisker clash, the quest for the Sol Emeralds pits pirate against pirate even if they be on th' same vessel! YO-HO! Meanwhile, Blaze, Amy, Cream and Marine are caught in the blazin’ crossfire—and in the tentacles of the terrifying, sea-villain salty dog, the Kraken! You’ll be walkin’ the plank if you don’t read this exciting issue with new cover art from that scallywag Tracy Yardley, plus a variant cover from Sonic comic veteran artist Dawn Best!

SCRIPT: Tracy Yardley!

ART: Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash, Jack Morelli, and Thomas Mason

Cover: Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash, Jack Morelli, and Steve Downer

32-page, full color comic

$2.99 US.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180STARDROP VOLUME 2: PLACE TO HANG MY SPACESUIT GN

1936119820?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: I BOX PUBLISHING

(W/A/CA) Mark Oakley

Where is a wayward space princess to call home? Friendly, cozy and vibrant! Earth and the charming East Coast town are almost too good to be true. Offering respite from the far flung intrigues of galactic civil war, Princess Ashelle would like nothing more than to find a peaceful place she might call home. But altogether too many aliens, space ninjas and time-travel emergencies have a way of complicating, well, just about everything. Princess Ashelle and her friends must find the courage and smarts needed to embrace life on Planet Earth.

$12.95

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUMMER WARS PART 1 GN

1936119974?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Mamoru Hosoda, Iqura Sugimoto

Kenji is your typical teenage misfit. He's good at math, bad with girls, and spends most of his time hanging out in the all-powerful, online community known as OZ. His second life is the only life he has - until the girl of his dreams, Natsuki, hijacks him for a starring role as a fake fiancée at her family reunion. Things only get stranger from there.

$14.95

Hey, look a Japanese book with a typical teenage girl-boy relationship!

Probably a low-seller.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPURBIA ONGOING #12

1936120183?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Grace Randolph (A/CA) Russell Dauterman

FINAL ISSUE

SUPURBIA ends its second volume with this shocking, heartbreaking issue. The battle has been brought to the homefront...literally. War rages in the neighborhood, as the Meta Legion strives to save Zari from the clutches of Hector Hunt, and one of the housewives makes the ultimate sacrifice...

$3.99

Anybody else getting a Welcome to Tranquillity vibe off this? If it's mining the same territory, I'll go with the Gail Simone version, thank you very much.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180TECHNOMANCER GN

1936120262?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARKOSIA ENTERPRISES LTD

(W) Raphael Moran (A/CA) Marc Borstel

Humanity's last colony has exiled themselves to a small valley where all forms of advance technology have been outlawed. A traveling magician named Merrick uses black market tech to trick the local villagers into thinking he's using real magic, but when a visitor from the skies crashes down everything he ever thought was real is finally revealed.

$17.99

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE SPIDER #15

1936120388?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) David Liss (A) Ivan Rodriguez (CA) Colton Worley

Richard Wentworth has been brought low, but the Spider must still protect New York!  As a terrible new wave of violence sweeps across the city, the Spider faces a terrible new enemy who will stop at nothing as he seeks his twisted revenge.  But how far can the Spider go to save an innocent who may the key to this murderous spree.  It's pulp mayhem, Spider style!

$3.99

The more I see The Spider covers, the more he looks like a Shadow wannabe. But, hey, I don't mind copycats if they're done well. Can anyone recommend some The Spider books to me?

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180THORGAL VOLUME 11: INVISIBLE FORTRESS GN

1936122611?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

(W) Jean Van Hamme (A/CA) Grzegorz Rosinski

Still travelling with Kris of Valnor, Thorgal runs afoul of a local tribe. When a mysterious old woman offers him a chance to escape the hostile villagers, he accepts. But there's more to the bargain: She says that if he can make his way into the Invisible Fortress, he'll be able to erase his name from the Stone of the Gods, cancelling his destiny - and finally have a chance at a normal life.

$11.95

I have to confess that every time I see this title, I "hear" it in my head as "Thor Gal," like the Thor Girl that ran around in Marvel Comics for a while. But, hey, turns out Thorgal isn't a gal at all, and that name is probably Gaelic or Celtic or something, not Norse.

Still: Thor Gal. *Snort*

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY #4

1936126517?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Andy Diggle (A) Aaron Campbell (CA) Sean Phillips

A well-laid plan goes all to hell when Weaver smells a rat... but only too late does he realize that he's the bait in the trap.  He's about to learn why "specials" always work alone, though sticking together might be their only chance to get out alive...

$3.99

So this is where Andy Diggle ended up. Did you know the character on Arrow was named for Andy Diggle? Well, now you do.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180VALERIAN VOLUME 4: WELCOME TO ALFLOLOL GN

1936126623?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

(W) Pierre Christen (A/CA) Jean-Claude Mezieres

Technorog is a planet essential to the economy of the Terran empire. For 200 years, it has been a centre of industry, research and agriculture. Suddenly, the indigenous population-believed long extinct-comes back to the planet they know as Alflolol. Earth's laws are strict: They must be allowed back on their ancestral grounds. But when Valerian and Laureline are assigned to facilitate their "reinsertion," they see the difference between the letter of the law and its spirit.

$11.95

How does one pronounce ALFLOLOL, any how? Is it like "Alf" followed by two Internet memes that mean "laugh out loud"? Someone should have thought through that more thoroughly.

1801214995?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRELLA #35

1936127693?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936127894?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Brandon Jerwa (A) Hubert Khan Michael (CA) Fabiano Neves

She Sells Sanctuary" (Part 2 of 2) Following a surprise attack by a new enemy, Vampirella makes a shocking decision. Who is Sister Midnight, and why does she want Vampirella dead? How far will our heroine go to defend her vision of a better future? And where will Adam Van Helsing stand in the aftermath? Answers await within...

$3.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRELLA SOUTHERN GOTHIC #3

1936129542?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936129781?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

Covers: Johnny Desjardins

Writer: Nate Cosby

Art: Jose Luis

Page Count: 32 pages

Stranded in the Deep South and severely wounded from a mystical demon's blade, Vampirella must continue her quest to save her former lover's soul, protect an innocent child, and not die in the process. Can Vampirella battle a bloodthirsty horde of rabid demons as her body fails her?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRELLA/EVA/DRACULA HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

1936129960?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

Covers: Joe Jusko

Writer: Shannon Eric Denton

Art: Patrick Berkenkotter

Page Count: 40 pages

Vampirella once again joins forces with Dracula and Eva in order to confront a Doomsday Cult intent on releasing one of the Ancient Ones back upon the Earth. The trio, empowered from their previous successes, will confront these evil forces head on! These three warriors race from threat to threat in order to stop the apocalypse but will learn that even their immense power may not be enough. Whether they accept it or not, some battles cannot be won...

I was looking at these covers and my first thought was ... OK, my second thought was: "Boy, these are so good they look like Joe Jusko painted 'em!" Then I noticed he had painted one of them. Nice!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180WASTELAND #49

1936130026?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

(W) Antony Johnston (A) Justin Greenwood (CA) Christopher Mitten

FINAL NEWBEGIN ARC CONTINUES! As Marcus retreats to the safety of council chambers, the branded man wades through the Disciples trying to stop him, led by Jakob! Can anything slow him down? Will Jakob survive staging this defense? And when Marcus and his father finally meet... who will prevail?

$4.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180WASTELAND VOLUME 3: APOCALYPTIC EDITION HC

1936130050?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

(W) Antony Johnston (A) Christopher Mitten & Various (CA) Christopher Mitten

The critically acclaimed sci-fi epic continues with this third deluxe hardcover collection! Michael and Abi have left the city of Newbegin to the mercy of the Sunners and their rebellion, but they won't find themselves welcome in the next town they stumble into. Reprinting issues #26-#39 of Wasteland, this second volume also includes the fan-favorite "Walking the Dust" stories and features a color art gallery of covers by Ben Templesmith and Christopher Mitten!

$39.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180WORLD OF ARCHIE DOUBLE DIGEST #33

woadd33.150.jpg?width=150Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Archie in “Piggy With It”—Archie’s new friend is a real pig—no, not Jughead! When Archie brings home a pig named Mr. Portly to pet-sit while the owners are on vacation, the Andrews have a hard time adjusting to their new house guest! Will they be able to put up with him making a sty out of their house, or will they find someone better suited to take care of him?

Script: Bill Golliher

Art: Tim Kennedy, Ken Selig, Barry Grossman, Bill Yoshida

Cover: George Frese, Rosario ‘Tito’ Peña

$3.99 US.

• 1936109949?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BOUNCE #6

1936110021?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story JOE CASEY

Art / cover DAVID MESSINA

32 PAGES / FC / M

$2.99

BIG SECRETS REVEALED THIS ISSUE!

What has The Darling seen that has changed him forever? Is there anything worse than the death of a hero? And what does that mean for The Bounce and the twisted world he lives in? Meanwhile, The Vamp makes her big move!

BIG CAPTAIN COMICS SECRETS REVEALED RIGHT HERE!

When Joe Casey started working in comics back in 19(mumble mumble), he seemed to plant his flag in the idea that he was "young and hip." And I honestly thought at the time, "Dude, you can only be young and hip for a few years. Then you're neither, and the writers coming behind you are far more young and hip than you are without really even trying. You really shouldn't stake your rep on something with a short shelf life."

But I figured, that like many other "young and hip" guys, he'd transition into "reliable veteran" eventually, and give up all that "young and hip" crap. But, no, here he is decades later still trying to be young and hip. Or at least hip. Or even post-hip or ultra-hip. I dunno. But I find his work less and less interesting as he tries more and more desperately (from my perspective) to hang on to the idea that he is hipper-than-thou. I mean, there's a time and a place for everything, and you should write young and hip comics when you're young and hip, but then you need to grow up, you know? Young and hip not only has a short shelf life for the writer, it also has a small window for the audience. To be a good writer, you need to mature. Even the young and hip prefer a skillful story written by a veteran than an amateurish one written by a contemporary (or an old guy pandering to them).

So now you know what I think every time I see "Joe Casey" in the credits. What do you think? Am I missing the boat by not buying books with "Joe Casey" in the credits?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180BUSHIDO #4

1936112170?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Rob Levin (A/CA) Jessada Sutthi

VAMPIRES IN FEUDAL JAPAN!

Kichiro is an outsider in feudal Japan. Lacking the Japanese blood that would allow him to become a samurai, Kichiro must fulfill his dreams of serving the shogun in a less traditional manner... by eliminating every foreign supernatural threat that rears its fangs!

This Halloween month, treat yourself to an issue of BUSHIDO each Wednesday! All FIVE issues of Top Cow's and Heroes and Villains Entertainment's latest series will be released in October. Order now... if you dare!

$2.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180CLONE #11

1936112442?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story DAVID SCHULNER, AARON GINSBURG & WADE MCINTYRE

Art / cover JUAN JOSE RYP & ANDY TROY

32 PAGES / FC / T+

$2.99

Following the events of last issue, Luke Taylor’s life has spun off in a startling new direction. Hounded by a new enemy, can he save himself, one clone at a time?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180COWBOY NINJA VIKING DLX HC

1936114476?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) A. J. Lieberman (A/CA) Riley Rossmo

Collected at last in one giant, oversized, deluxe hardcover are both volumes of the critically acclaimed fan-favorite series COWBOY NINJA VIKING! Featuring all the material in both trades plus brand new, never-before-seen extras!

From the author of HARVEST and TERM LIFE and the artist of GREEN WAKE, DIA DE LOS MUERTOS and PROOF! This is one gorgeous volume you'll want to add to your permanent collection!

Collects COWBOY NINJA VIKING #1-10

$39.99

I know nothing about this book, except that the phrase Cowboy Ninja Viking combines three things I wanted to be as a boy.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180GREAT PACIFIC #11

1936114443?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story JOE HARRIS

Art / cover  MARTÍN MORAZZO

32 PAGES / FC / M

$2.99

“NATION BUILDING,” Part Five

The road to statehood was already rough for Chas Worthington’s neo nation, but tangling with the despotic outlaw Chukwu regime might prove to be his worst move yet.  As the people of New Texas turn on the man who founded their unlikely home, how will Chas respond?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180Special preview

PRETTY DEADLY #1

prettydeadly1-cover-585x900200.jpg?width=150Story KELLY SUE DECONNICK

Art EMMA RÍOS & JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover EMMA RÍOS

32 PAGES / FC / M

$3.50

KELLY SUE DECONNICK (Avengers Assemble, Captain Marvel) & EMMA RÍOS (Dr. Strange, Osborn) reunite to bring you an all-new ongoing series that marries the magical realism of Sandman with the western brutality of Preacher. 

Ginny is Death’s daughter, a reaper of vengeance. She rides through the West on a horse made of smoke, her face tattooed with her heritage, and deals in revenge. She is the mysterious, elusive center of PRETTY DEADLY, the first creator-owned comics series by acclaimed writer Kelly Sue DeConnick (Captain Marvel, Ghost, Osborn) and artist Emma Ríos (The Amazing Spider-Man, Osborn).

Simultaneously beautiful and savage, PRETTY DEADLY will unfold over the course of an ongoing story that DeConnick and Ríos developed together, creating a world and characters that are entirely their own. At the same time, DeConnick and Ríos say, it’s almost as if PRETTY DEADLY has a will of its own that guides the action.

“The book is absorbing us while breathing on its own,” said Ríos. “Sometimes I feel we are hidden behind a rock, gasping, watching the characters do their things.”

“This book has defied my directives at every turn, but made it up to me in a series of goosebump moments where things came together as if by magic,” said DeConnick.

Having worked together on Marvel’s Osborn, DeConnick and Ríos found common ground in their love of Westerns and Japanese cinema for PRETTY DEADLY. DeConnick was inspired by spaghetti westerns, Japanese “pinky violence” films, and Grimm’s fairy tales, while Ríos found her visual language for the series by absorbing both Westerns and samurai films. Colorist Jordie Bellaire (THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS, NOWHERE MEN) maintains the earthy, dusty atmosphere of the art, as well as the magical tone of the story, thanks to a subdued palette punctuated with bursts of vivid color.

“We wanted a very Leone feel to it. As we worked, I felt we were straying from that original notion and though I came to love the direction the book insisted on going, I felt a twinge of grief at the loss of the Leone connection. I don't know why, but I did,” said DeConnick. “Then a friend of mine quoted this Leone line to me: ‘The important thing is to make a different world, to make a world that is not now. A real world, a genuine world, but one that allows myth to live. The myth is everything.’ So in the end, it seems we haven't strayed at all.“

What do y'all think of Kelly Sue DeConnick's writing? I want to like it, and I wanted to like Captain Marvel, but she crippled her character on the one hand, and on the other hand kept slamming us over the head with how she wanted us to regard the character -- and the two didn't match up. So I had both cognitive dissonance and a professional disdain. On yet another hand, her dialogue sparkles and she's good at situational humor.

So I don't know what to expect when I pick up a DeConnick book. And now she's launching into the "I want to be Robert Kirkman" universe, with her own creator-owned book. And I don't know what to think about that.

I'll get it (in trade) just to see. But that's at least six months from now. So I can't recommend or not recommend. Here's the preview, and you'll have to make up your own mind.

Oh, and be sure to tell me what you think of DeConnick's writing. Maybe I'm off-base. Sound off, Legionnaires!

prettydeadly1-p1-web200.jpg?width=150prettydeadly1-p2-web_200.jpg?width=150prettydeadly1-p3-web200.jpg?width=150prettydeadly1-p4-web_200k.jpg?width=150

1801264664?profile=RESIZE_180x180Special preview

RAT QUEENS #1 2ND PTG

(W) Kurtis J. Wiebe (A/CA) Roc Upchurch

"GOLD, GUTS AND GROG," Part One

RatQueens_01_CVR_2ndPrint_web.jpg?width=150This year, Image Comics asked, "WHAT'S NEXT?" and answered that question with a bevy of new releases that went on to instant sell-outs, week after week.

This week is no different, as RAT QUEENS, a series that mixes high fantasy with short tempers and a party-centric lifestyle, has sold out at the distributor level and will be going back to press for a second printing.

RAT QUEENS #1, written by Kurtis Wiebe with art by Roc Upchurch, has debuted to thunderous applause. The response from fans, press, and fellow creators has been overwhelming. Fans and creators took to social media to spread word of the intensely relatable humor and high level of craft on display in RAT QUEENS, and the press did their part with a number of glowing reviews.

“Think Sex & the City meets Lord of the Rings. Yes, it’s that weird. And yes, it’s that awesome.”

- Blake Northcott, CBS/Man Cave Daily

"The lead characters are crude, rough and tumble females who party, take drugs, eat candy, and kick the crap out of anybody who crosses their path. In other words, this is one awesome comic book." -- Benjamin Bailey, IGN

"A real paradigm-shifter." -- Vanessa Gabriel, Girls Gone Geek

"From character design to layout, from dialogue to environment; every element of this new title lends to its feeling of novelty. Even the eye-catching logo and title design add the singular effect of rock-and-roll fantasy." -- Sam LeBas, Multiversity Comics

"It's a really entertaining comic book that manages to capture the spirit of tabletop gaming without making fun of that experience" -- Forrest C. Helvie, Newsarama

"Upchurch’s art makes what is already a fantastic idea and great story a truly engaging and fantastic comic." -- Leo Johnson, Stash My Comics

In addition to the second printing, RAT QUEENS #1 is available digitally on the Image Website (imagecomics.com) and Cthe official Image Comics iOS app, as well as on comiXology on the web (comixology.com), iOS, and Android.

$3.50

1801264664?profile=RESIZE_180x180RAT QUEENS #2

1936116866?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936116924?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story KURTIS J. WIEBE

Art / cover A & B ROC UPCHURCH

32 PAGES / FC / M

$3.50

“GOLD, GUTS AND GROG,” Part Two

Someone wants to kill the Rat Queens? The girls are seeing red and there’s only one thing to do about it: get really, really drunk. And, eventually, maybe get to the bottom of who’s trying to kill them. Because, let’s be honest, they already know why.

Uh ... what? Somebody who's reading this explain it to me!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180SATELLITE SAM #4

1936118822?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Matt Fraction (A/CA) Howard Chaykin

Tiny details of the late Carlyle White's life start to come into focus the longer his son stays sober and asks questions. The network struggles to survive its war against three radio-era behemoths and the FCC. Truth comes out, clothes come off, and Mike finds out just how far down he can go.

$3.50

You know, at some point I stopped reading Howard Chaykin stories, because I began to realize he only had one, and I had already read it:

"Handsome Jewish rogue anti-hero gets laid a lot while outsmarting his opponents."

That was the plot of American Flagg!, more or less. But the artistic approach Chaykin took with that series -- using sound effects as part of the action, elaborate rendering, pornographic sex scenes -- was ground-breaking at the time.

But after that, we saw the same plot again and again, from Dominic Fortune to American Century. Heck, he even turned Blackhawk Jewish, so that he could repeat his favorite scenario.

And here's the thing: Lots of creators essentially tell the same story over and over. Lord knows I've made that complaint about Robert Kanigher. But when it comes to Kanigher, as much as I don't care for his stories, I don't feel like I'm watching his internal sex fantasies at play. I don't feel like Kanigher is writing with one hand while wanking off with the other, and then charging me for the privilege.

With Chaykin stories, that's exactly how I feel. Rightly or wrongly, I fell like Chaykin is putting his masturbation fantasies on paper and daring us to quit reading. By page two or three of any Chaykin book, I feel violated.

So how do you readers feel right now? :)

Anyway, now I want to hear from you Satellite Sam readers. Is it just another Chaykin book, as I have described it above? Or is there more to it, enough for me to buy it? Let me know. And for God's sake, keep both hands on the keyboard!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180SEX CRIMINALS #1 2ND PTG

(W) Matt Fraction (A/CA) Chip Zdarsky

sexcrim01a-reg.jpg?width=150A SEX COMEDY FOR COMICS

Suzie's a normal girl with an extraordinary ability: when she has sex, she stops time. One night she meets John ...  who has the same gift. And so they do what any other sex-having, time-stopping, couple would do: They rob banks. In the vein of THE 40-YEAR OLD VIRGIN and BRIDESMAIDS, Image Comics invites you to come along with MATT FRACTION (Hawkeye, SATELLITE SAM) and CHIP ZDARSKY  (Prison Funnies, Monster Cops) for the series that puts the "comic" back in "comics" and the "sexy" back in "sex crimes."

$3.50

"It's funny, heartbreaking and real all at once, while also being about sex and crime... One of the best comics I’ve read in years." -- Ed Brubaker (FATALE, VELVET, Captain America: Winter Solider)

"Well ... SEX CRIMINALS is like the best comic ever written. Congrats Matt Fraction and DAMN... art by Chip Zdarsky is PERFECT." -- Robert Kirkman (THE WALKING DEAD, INVINCIBLE)

"For a book about a gun-toting woman who literally orgasms her way to super powers (you heard me), SEX CRIMINALS #1 is a remarkably relatable book. Writer Matt Fraction and artist Chip Zdarsky have crafted a debut issue that isn't like anything we've seen yet. It's part action adventure, part touching coming of age drama, all with a healthy amount of wry humor sprinkled throughout." -- Melissa Grey, IGN

"The book brims with a certain sexual energy that makes it fun, risqué, and refreshing." -- Jimbus Christ, Bloody Disgusting

SEX CRIMINALS #1 might be one of the best premiere issues of the year." -- Max Delgado, Unleash the Fanboy

"This is not a book that simply relies on the fact it contains the subject of sex in order to arouse curiosity. Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky have created something new and exciting." -- Tony Guerrero, Comic Vine

"I give SEX CRIMINALS high marks for being a positive look at female sexuality, without giggling like a ten-year-old. It’s not a lewd book at all. It’s titillating, sure, but it’s very sincere. ... Enjoyable from start to finish, Sex Criminals is probably the weirdest and sweetest book I’ve read in a long time." -- Alison Berry, Comicosity

"In truth, this is definitely not what you expected–in the best of ways–and its sense of fun (anchored by its zippy dialogue) and emphasis on character so far are its strongest assets." -- Matt LeMaire, The MacGuffin

"Zdarsky’s art takes what could be the skeeviest titles on shelves into the sweetest." -- James Johnston, Multiversity Comics

"The inclusion of sex acts as told by a high school girl completely puts it into insanely hilarious territory. Zdarsky’s art gives the book a great look, making it expressive and having a great sense of style." -- Leo Johnson, Stash My Comics

In addition to the second printing, SEX CRIMINALS #1 is available digitally on the Image website (imagecomics.com) and the official Image Comics iOS app, as well as on comiXology on the web (comixology.com), iOS, and Android.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180SEX CRIMINALS #2

1936118972?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story MATT FRACTION

Art / cover CHIP ZDARSKY 

32 PAGES / FC / M

$3.50

So who's the boy with the same sexy-time time-stopping gifts as Suzie? Meet John, who until last night thought he could freeze time with his junk. At long last not alone, what kind of horny hijinx will he and Suzie get up to together? What ANY of us would do if having sex stopped the whole world: We'd do crimes.

No we wouldn't.

Unless there's some really righteous storytelling going on here, this takes pandering to a new level.

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180Special Preview

VELVET #1

VELVET1_COVER_600_final.jpg?width=150Story ED BRUBAKER

Art STEVE EPTING & BETTIE BREITWEISER

Cover STEVE EPTING

32 PAGES / FC / M

$3.50

Revealed at July’s Image Expo, the media event that prepared the comics market for what’s next from the largest American independent comics publisher, VELVET is a dark and provocative new espionage thriller from Ed Brubaker (FATALE) and Steve Epting. The first creator-owned project from the team who brought you Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the ongoing Image Comics series VELVET debuts this week.

Velvet Templeton is supposed to be just a secretary, the personal assistant to the Director of a top secret Intelligence Agency, but when the world's greatest spy is killed, she quickly finds herself caught in a web of mystery and murder, as her own secret past comes to light.

“The thing I'm most excited about with Velvet is, she's a woman with this incredibly dangerous history who’s been living a quiet life for a long time, and her current life and who she used to be are about to collide in a very explosive way," said Brubaker. "So she’s going to have to face a lot of things she’s been hiding from, and do things she barely remembers how to, and hope she’s still as good as she used to be."

Steve Epting’s art on VELVET—dark and sexy, with painterly colors by Elizabeth Breitweiser—is partly influenced by the covers of '60s and '70s spy novels.

“I'm a huge fan of the illustration art from that era and it was actually a big influence on my approach to the covers for Captain America. I'm hoping to bring even more of that sensibility to Velvet — especially considering the time in which the story is set,” said Epting.

Brubaker has also spoken about VELVET to Comic Book Resources and MTV Geek.

SOLD!

VELVET_p-1.jpg?width=150VELVET_p-2.jpg?width=150VELVET_p-3.jpg?width=150VELVET_p-4.jpg?width=150

1936119071?profile=RESIZE_180x180WALKING DEAD 100 PROJECT LTD ED HC

1936121325?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Robert Kirkman (A/CA) Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn

ROBERT KIRKMAN and Skybound team up with the Hero Initiative to present 100 all new covers envisioning the horrors of the bestselling THE WALKING DEAD. This art book features brand-new pieces by THE WALKING DEAD artist CHARLIE ADLARD, PAOLO RIVERA, RYAN OTTLEY, RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE and more! This book will never be reprinted and all proceeds go to the Hero Initiative and comic book creators in need!

$24.99

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180ZERO #1 2ND PTG

zero-01c_web.jpg?width=150(W) Ales Kot (A/CA) Michael Walsh

SAVING THE WORLD. ONE MURDER AT A TIME.

Edward Zero is the perfect execution machine - a spy who breaks the rules to get things done. When a stolen device appears in the center of a long-running conflict, Zero comes to retrieve it.  The problem is, the device is inside a living, breathing, bio-modified terrorist and there's an entire army after it.

$2.99

Image Comics is proud to announce a reprint of ZERO #1, the inaugural issue of the story of a spy trained from birth to kill and the choices he makes that change his life forever. The response to ZERO #1, written by Ales Kot and drawn by Michael Walsh, has been overwhelming, and the orders for ZERO #2 are incredibly strong. In order to meet demand, a second printing of ZERO #1 is currently scheduled to release on 10/23.

Critics continue to rave about ZERO #1:

"Zero #1's violence is brutal, but not in a cinematic sense. It's almost candid about the horrors it depicts [...] Kot and Walsh control the pace masterfully, inching out the horror so you feel its effects in every panel." -- James Hunt, Comic Book Resources

"Walsh’s pencils are awash with a strong, solid thickness reminiscent of the best works of Aja and Mazzuchelli [...] The environments are also gorgeously rendered, with help by colorist Jordie Bellaire in making Israel subtly explode with an eye-popping helping of varying shades of brown and red." -- Julien Loeper, ComicBooked

"[I]f issue #1 of ZERO is any indication of what we’re going to get with this series, consider me excited. There’s a lot to like about this first issue, not the least of which is the way that Ales Kot sets up the whole conflict, as Zero telling his story, piece by piece to a young boy. But there’s a lot more to Zero running beneath the surface, and that’s what makes it such an engaging read." -- Matt LeMaire, The MacGuffin

"Zero #1 partners Kot with artist Michael Walsh for a story set in the Gaza Strip in 2018, and it’s not only a phenomenal start to the series, but the strongest work of both creators’ careers." -- Oliver Sava, Onion A.V. Club

"Ales Kot has given us an intriguing story that takes the spy genre to a new level. Michael Walsh's art rips into the action and you'll need to hang onto your seat to make sure you don't fall over while reading. Jordie Bellaire's colors highly complement Walsh's art as each panel has the right focus on attention. The fact that the next issue will focus on another mission makes it all the more compelling to want to come back to find out what's next." -- Tony Guerrero, Comic Vine

gorgeous, atmosphere-infused artwork, this is a book that a lot of people have been waiting for and it does not disappoint." -- David Henderson, Multiversity Comics

In addition to the second printing, ZERO #1 is available digitally on the Image website (imagecomics.com) and the official Image Comics iOS app, as well as on Comixology on the web (comixology.com), iOS, and Android.

1801238131?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• That line about the "Whovians"* is actaully fairly disturbing, Andrew.  Do you honestly believe that anyone here would try to shame for not liking the same things they do?

*Oh, and can I say that I hate the word "Whovian"? "Whovians" are precisely the sort of people that we Doctor Who fans most try to avoid,

• As far as Afterschool Charisma goes, it's not one I've follwed, but disturbing (to Westerners, at least) sexual stuff is always a possibility.  The only thing I can say is to remember that Japan is not a "Judeo-Christian" country (and we westerners, even those who are atheists, still draw a surprising amount of our basic outlook from the "Judeo-Christian" tradition), and they a have a basic outlook that is different in ways that it can be hard for us to acceot.

• 1)Manga hair:  Never been sure myself, although I've read explanations that try to tie it to living in a country where 99% of the population has the same hair color.

2)Big Eyes in Manga: Blame Disney. The Japanese got it from him, and ran with it.

3)Yaoi:  The Baron's interest in things Japanese does not extend to reading yaoi. From what I have heard, actual gay guys do not read this sutff, and the audience is almost exclusively young women.  The ultimate in non-threatening guys perhaps? Or some kind of covnerse of the way some guys like to watch girls make out with each other?

4)Lucky Luke:  Read a few of these when I was little. They were mildly amusing.

• Well, maybe nobody here ... !

I have actually had people who described themselves as Whovians snark at me because I wasn't watching Dr. Who, one at university and the other in the workplace. Naturally, I ignored them, but I guess at some level it rankled. Thus, me blowing off steam. (And, he said under his breath, vowing to never watch Dr. Who.)

The Baron said:

That line about the "Whovians"* is actaully fairly disturbing, Andrew.  Do you honestly believe that anyone here would try to shame for not liking the same things they do?

This reply was deleted.