GRIM #7

KNOW YOUR STATION #2

SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN #28

SPECS #3

DARK HORSE COMICS

ASSASSINS APPRENTICE I #2

CARMILLA: THE FIRST VAMPIRE TPB

Mature | $19.99

This winter, Berger Books and Dark Horse present Carmilla: The First Vampire, inspired by the gothic novella that started a genre.

This queer, feminist murder mystery is a riveting tale of identity, obsession, and fateful family secrets set in New York City Chinatown. Written by Amy Chu (Red Sonja, Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death, Netflix’s DOTA: Dragon’s Blood) and drawn by Soo Lee (Ash and Thorn, Stillwater: The Escape, Vampirella Fairy Tales), Carmilla: The First Vampire is the latest in Berger Books’ line of cutting-edge original graphic novels.

Set in 1996, the Year of the Rat and the peak of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, an idealistic Chinese American social worker turns detective when she discovers young, homeless LGBTQ+ women are being murdered and no one, especially the police, seems to care.

A series of clues points her to Carmilla's, a new mysterious nightclub in the heart of Manhattan Chinatown. There she falls for Violet, the next likely target, landing her at the center of a real-life horror story — and face-to-face with questions about her own identity and murky past.

"Everyone is familiar with Dracula, but few know it was inspired by the vampire Carmilla who fell in love with the many young women who became her victims." Amy Chu explains. "Bringing the story to '90s New York let me explore themes of cultural identity, gentrification, homophobia and racism. It's definitely the darkest, most mature storyline I've ever written!"

“Goth, horror and vampires make up the classic backdrop to '90s New York,” said Soo Lee. “Using the colorful ambience of the city and cultural references, Amy and I bring back to life to an old NYC that I know and love in this retelling of Carmilla.”

“Not only is Carmilla a mesmerizing, steamy and decadent thriller,” said Karen Berger, “but Amy and Soo have delivered a story with important cultural themes which resonate in today’s antagonizing times.”

• I thought, "Oh, boy! An adaptation of a seminal vampire story that I've never read! Sign me up!" Then I read the blurb, and found out it would "explore themes of culture identity" in 1990s New York, which is pretty familiar territory. I'd really rather read about vampires in 1870s Austria, where the story was originally set.
  • Here's a preview.

FIND RICK & MORTY HC

GANTZ OMNIBUS VOL 11 TP

GRENDEL OMNIBUS VOL 3 ORION'S REIGN TP (2ND ED) 

JENNY ZERO VOL 2 TP

THE LONELY WAR OF WILLY SCHULTZ GN

Story: Will Franz | Art: Sam Glanzman, Wayne Vasant | $49.99

After its original publication more than 60 years ago, The Lonely War of Capt. Willy Schultz is being published by IT’S ALIVE and Dark Horse Books. The Lonely War of Capt. Willy Schultz was originally written by 16-year-old Will Franz in Fightin’ Army and illustrated by comic book creator and WWll veteran, Sam Glanzman. It will soon be available in its finished state thanks to a new final chapter drawn by Wayne Vansant. The collection also includes a new historical essay by Stephen R. Bissette about the series.

Found guilty by a U.S. military tribunal during WWll of a murder he didn’t commit, Captain Willy Schultz is being transported to the rear to face a firing squad when his jeep hits a land mine, giving him the opportunity to escape. A few miles away, he finds a burned-out German tank, and he gets an idea. Donning his enemy’s uniform, Schultz hopes to escape execution by hiding amongst the Germans and doing anything he can to survive.

MASKERADE #4

MOB PSYCHO 100 TP VOL 10

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION — THE SHINJI IKARI RAISING PROJECT OMNIBUS VOL 6 TP

Dark Horse Manga returns to the alternate world from the final episode of Evangelion in the Neon Genesis Evangelion — The Shinji Ikari Raising Project Omnibus Volume 6. The final book of this six-part saga features story and art by Osamu Takahashi (Isuca) and collects volumes 16-18 of the series.

The most popular Evangelion spinoff ever returns to finish the story! While a school play starring Rei and Asuka as star-crossed lovers makes some ponder just where Shinji fits in, the question of whether he can make up his mind may become moot as SEELE makes their final bid to seize the Magi System with a ruthless scheme — taking Rei’s own memories hostage!

“Probably the best adaptation (so far) of the series' high school romantic comedy alternate universe.” — Anime News Network

ONES #3

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #2

DC COMICS

BATMAN & JOKER: THE DEADLY DUO #3 (OF 7)

BATMAN INCORPORATED #4

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE SEASON 3 #1 (OF 7)

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #23

DANGER STREET #2 (OF 12)

FLASH #123 FACSIMILE EDITION

FLASH #790

HUMAN TARGET #10 (OF 12)

LAZARUS PLANET: ALPHA #1 ONE-SHOT

The DC universe will be rocked to its core in DC’s first 2023 event, Lazarus Planet! Event showrunner Mark Waid teams up with Riccardo Federici, Gene Luen Yang, Billy Tan, Nicole Maines, Skylar Patridge, Francis Manapul, Dan Watters, Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Josie Campbell, and more, to transform DC’s Super Heroes and Supervillains beginning in January!

Following the events of Mark Waid and Mahmud Asrar’s Batman vs. Robin #4 this December, the Lazarus Volcano has erupted — spewing dangerous and transformative chemicals into Earth’s atmosphere, resulting in chaos across the DC universe! As these Lazarus clouds rain down upon the planet, people across the globe begin to develop strange new abilities, watch their already-extraordinary abilities change, and witness a whole host of chaos unlike anything the DCU has experienced before!

We know you’ve got questions about this upcoming DC comic book event, but you’ll have to wait for the Lazarus Planet explosions to begin for your answers! In the meantime, we’re already asking about the effects of Lazarus raining from the skies:

• Can Power Girl free herself from the out-of-control Omen?
  • Who are the mysterious trio claiming to be resurrected siblings of Raven?
  • Will Dreamer’s visions guide our heroes to the path of victory?
  • Can Mercy Graves survive the transformation she’s undergone?
  • Will Martian Manhunter survive a psychic link to a Doomsday nest?
  • Can new hero City Boy hope to commune with Gotham in time to save it?
  • How far would the Question go to chase a lead across a transformed Gotham City?
  • Will the flame of Firestorm burn out yet another horrific host?
  • And what does DC’s Monkey Prince have to do with all of this?

Here’s a hint for the last one — Damian Wayne puts out a distress call for whoever can still hear it: Come to the ruins of the Hall of Justice and help save the world! Blue Beetle, Power Girl, Cyborg, Batman and more answer the call … but why could the fate of all life as we know it rest in the hands of … Monkey Prince?

The weekly Lazarus Planet schedule will include:

• Lazarus Planet: Alpha (1/10)
  • Lazarus Planet: Assault on Krypton (1/17)
  • Lazarus Planet: We Once Were Gods (1/24)
  • Lazarus Planet: Legends Reborn (1/31)
  • Lazarus Planet: Next Evolution (2/7)
  • Lazarus Planet: Dark Fate (2/14)
  • Lazarus Planet: Omega (2/21)

This looks like a striking opportunity for DC to bring back whatever dead characters it regrets killing, or never intended to let stay dead in the first place. Which is fine. There's no continuity any more, so why should I be denied new stories of any characters, alive or dead? Not that there are many characters still dead anyway. Even Wing is already back, somehow, and he's been dead since the '70s. Hey, maybe Jonah Hex's stuffed-and-mounted corpse will form a team with Hans Von Hammer, Anthro, Silent Knight and Viking Prince! The sky's the limit, since the cemetery is empty!

My one complaint is that they're now calling the lead writer (Mark Waid) an "event showrunner." Please. It's still just comics. No need to gussy it up.

WILDCATS #3

WONDER WOMAN #795

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

RED SONJA HELL SONJA #2

VAMPIRELLA MINDWARP #5

IDW PUBLISHING

CRASHING #5

GODZILLA MONSTERS & PROTECTORS: ALL HAIL THE KING #4

GODZILLA RIVALS: RODAN VS EBIRAH

MY LITTLE PONY CLASSICS REIMAGINED: LITTLE FILLIES #3

IMAGE COMICS

ALL AGAINST ALL #2 (OF 5)

BLACK CLOAK #1

Covers: Meredith McClaren, Jeff Dekal, Christian Ward, Peach Momoko, Tula Lotay

Eisner Award winning writer Kelly Thompson (Black Widow, Captain Marvel) and fan-favorite artist Meredith McClaren (Jem & the Holograms, Super Fun Sexy Times, Hinges) will launch the mystery/fantasy mashup Black Cloak.

"Black Cloak is essentially all of my favorite things — detective stories, fantasy creatures and magic, neo-noir sci-fi — thrown into a blender and made into something thrillingly new ... or if not new, then at least new-ISH," said Thompson in an exclusive on the announcement with Popverse. "And I'm so excited to be teaming up with Meredith again on a project where we can really cut loose with world-building and design. I can never get enough of how Meredith's brain works and she has breathed incredible super cool life into Black Cloak."

Blade Runner style mixes with Saga-esque drama in a delectable fantasy/sci-fi blend as two Black Cloaks try to solve the murder of a beloved prince in Kiros — the last city in the known world — before his murder tips the city into war. The mystery begins in a spectacular triple-length first issue hitting shelves in the New Year.

McClaren added: "Kelly asked me to and I like her a whole lot."

"Part murder mystery, part fantasy epic, Black Cloak is a stunning work of storytelling alchemy.” — Scott Snyder

Black Cloak is upsettingly good. With a rich and gorgeous world, a story that grabs you from page one, and characters you fall in love with, it’s the kind of comic we all wish we could make.” — Matthew Rosenberg, What’s the Furthest Place from Here?, Hawkeye

“Eye-popping art, writing like a dagger in the heart, the best world-building I’ve seen in comics since Saga. Let me put it this way about Black Cloak … welcome to your new favorite comic.” — Gail Simone, Clean Room, Batgirl, Deadpool

Black Cloak takes two beloved genres, noir and fantasy, and blends them to make something thrillingly new and exciting. Part murder mystery, part fantasy epic, Black Cloak is a stunning work of storytelling alchemy. Thompson and McClaren grab you from the first pages and don’t let go. One of my favorite new books in a long time.” — Scott Snyder, We Have Demons, Clear, Batman

Black Cloak deftly blends the pleasure of procedural puzzles and murder mysteries with some of the cleverest post-modern inversions and subversions of the fantasy genre I’ve seen in quite some time. Add to that the warm humanity coursing through the characters and story and you’ve got your new favorite pulp murder magic.” — Christopher Cantwell, Iron Man, Briar, Blue Flame

“What’s not to love about Black Cloak? A fascinating world, wonderful characterizations, and a compelling mystery at its core. Thompson and McClaren have built a world here both fantastical and all too relatable, and I can’t wait to explore it more!” — Joe Henderson, Lucifer, Skyward, Shadecraft

“I loved, loved, loved Black Cloak — a master class in world-building that pulls you into its story and never lets you go. Crafted by a powerhouse creative team doing their best work. Don’t miss it!” — Alex Segura, Secret Identity, Poe Dameron, Black Ghost

BLOOD STAINED TEETH #8

BONE ORCHARD BLACK FEATHERS #5 (OF 5)

DARK RIDE #4

Skybound today unveiled a first look at Dark Ride #4, which concludes the epic first arc of the hit new horror comic book series. From the iconic Birthright team of writer Joshua Williamson (Batman, Dark Crisis), artist Andrei Bressan (Justice League Incarnate), colorist Adriano Lucas (Nightwing), and letterer Pat Brosseau (Creepshow), Dark Ride takes place in an amusement park known as the scariest place on Earth — Devil Land.  

The secret of Arthur Dante’s deal with the devil is revealed. Now, Halloween and Sam, heirs to the empire, must decide whose side they’re really on. It’s an occult world after all... 

“This first arc of Dark Ride closes with such a blood-curdling cliffhanger — readers won't see it coming,” said series editor Amanda LaFranco. “Josh and Andrei have been slowly intensifying the horror each issue, and at the close of this arc, we're really going to get a look at just what darkness Devil Land has hidden in the park and what's in store for the Dante family. Things will only get scarier from here.” 

Dark Ride #4 continues an impressive variant cover lineup that has run throughout the series’ first arc. In addition to the main cover by Bressan and series colorist Adriano Lucas, Dark Ride’s Cover B variant spotlights park mascot Danny D. Evil, with an issue #4 cover by Michael Walsh (The Silver Coin), while Cover C showcases Devil Land’s resident femme fatale and horror aficionado, Halloween, with the first four issues’ cover art by Sweeney Boo (Over My Dead Body).  

Additionally, megastar creator Tony Fleecs (Stray Dogs, Star Wars Adventures) is art directing a classic homage poster variant program. The 1:25 incentives will span the Cover D slot of Dark Ride’s first four issues, bringing on a new guest artist for each cover. Dennis Culver (Justice League Incarnate) is the artist at the helm for issue #4, with the Dark Ride world’s rendition of Devil Tales.  

DEAD LUCKY #5

GOSPEL #3 (OF 5)

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #16

LEAST WE CAN DO #5

LITTLE MONSTERS #9

NEMESIS RELOADED #1 (OF 5)

Bestselling creator Mark Millar (The Magic Order, Kingsman: The Secret Service) will team with Jorge Jiménez (Batman) for the upcoming sequel series, Nemesis: Reloaded.

Nemesis: Reloaded is a star-studded sequel series which will usher in an all-new, blood-drenched chapter for one of Millar’s most controversial — and popular — supervillain creations.

Nemesis was just a wee four-issue series I did over a decade ago with co-creator Steve McNiven and it’s probably the series I’m most asked about returning. It’s been through three studios with talent like Tony Scott and Joe and Matt Carnahan attached to write and direct and even a recent polish by the brilliant Emerald Fennell, but now we’re on the cusp of getting it back to Netflix for a whole new start and I was just really burning up to do another comic book about this character," said Millar. "It’s one of the most fun things I’ve ever written and we bagged the brilliant, brilliant Jorge Jiménez from Batman to do the honors. This is probably the best art from an amazing career. The guy could not be any more hot than he is right now so I’m delighted to be partnered with him. Note: Nemesis: Reloaded is one of four huge titles leading into our big summer crossover featuring ALL the Millarworld characters — BIG GAME. BIG GAME will be written by me and drawn by Pepe Larraz, freshly stolen from Marvel Comics and their superstar who was drawing X-Men."

The world’s most evil comic book is back! Who is Nemesis, and why does this eccentric billionaire who dresses up in a mask and cape want to terrorize people instead of helping them? Isn’t that how this is supposed to go?

Jiménez added: “Honestly, drawing this series has being quite an adventure for me! The script is special and very dynamic, it’s written in a way that allows me to explore all the drawing styles that I have been working on in recent years. When you have it in your hands, you will understand what I mean! I knew that working with a great master like Millar would be incredible, but he has exceeded my expectations!! I promise you a ton of action! Yes, Nemesis, this bastard has a plan, and you can't miss it!”

• I find I've lost interest in Mark Millar's writing style in general, and I don't really know when that happened. Kick-Ass, maybe? Wanted? And I've never had any interest in this concept. Pass.
  • Sure to be a TV show, though.
  • Here's a preview.

PRODIGY VOL 2: ICARUS SOCIETY TP

REVOLVERS #3 (OF 4)

SPAWN: UNWANTED VIOLENCE #1 (OF 2)

TIME BEFORE TIME #19

TWO GRAVES #3

ZOMBIES VS ROBOTS COMPLETE VOL 1 TP

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING FANTASY TP

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #17

Story: Zeb Wells | Art: Ed McGuinness | Cover: John Romita Jr. | Teen | $3.99

Madelyne Pryor. Ben Reilly. As clones of two of Marvel’s greatest superheroes, they’ve gotten the short end of the stick time and time again. They’ll join forces to take their ultimate revenge in DARK WEB, an epic new Marvel Comics crossover involving Spider-Man, the X-Men, Venom, Ms. Marvel and more! The saga will fan the embers of the iconic INFERNO crossover and pack an emotional punch that pays off decades of Marvel Comics storytelling. Fans have already gotten a sneak peek at what’s to come and now, it’s time to see just how things will continue to spiral downward for your favorite heroes come January!

DARK WEB will unfold in the pages of Zeb Wells’ run on Amazing Spider-Man where he’ll be joined by superstar artist Ed McGuinness for the duration of the story arc.

In AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #17 and #18, Peter Parker is reeling from the opening battles of DARK WEB and now finds himself in Limbo. Peter not only has to find his way back home, but he has to do it in a truly hellish fashion. And who is shadowing him? As if the normal run-of-the-mill demons of Limbo weren’t enough … Spider-Man finds himself facing a small army of demonized versions of his rogues’ gallery! Can he make it home to stop Chasm and the Goblin Queen?!

• "Dark Web" tie-in.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY SPENCER OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

AVENGERS: WAR ACROSS TIME #1 (OF 5)

Story: Paul Levitz | Art/Cover: Alan Davis | Teen | $5.99

PAUL LEVITZ AND ALAN DAVIS ASSEMBLE THE ORIGINAL AVENGERS FOR A WAR ACROSS TIME!

Two industry legends team up for the greatest Kang saga of all time in AVENGERS: WAR ACROSS TIME, a new limited series starting in January

This January, journey back to the early days of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with two of comics’ mightiest creators in AVENGERS: WAR ACROSS TIME! Joined by fellow superstar Alan Davis, Eisner Hall of Famer Paul Levitz, known for his storied career at DC Comics, writes his first-ever Marvel Comics story in this five-issue limited series! Set during Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Don Heck’s original groundbreaking run of Avengers, this extraordinary saga will be a love letter to Avengers history just in time for the team’s 60th anniversary! AVENGERS: WAR ACROSS TIME will see the original Avengers at their very best as they battle an onslaught of powerful and strange new threats that strike at the very heart of the team. At the center of it all will be Kang the Conqueror, reaching back from the furthest reaches of time to destroy the Avengers legacy!

THOR! IRON MAN! CAPTAIN AMERICA! GIANT-MAN & THE WASP! It’s the classic Avengers against the Hulk on the streets of New York, and the beginning of a showdown with Kang the Conqueror that will span the centuries!

“I learned much of my writing craft from THE AVENGERS, and it's been a delight to pay homage to my old friends Stan, Jack and Don by trying to do something that might have been an extended issue #11.1,” Levitz explained. “We've been cooking this up for a long time, and I hope readers have as much fun with it as I did."

Join Marvel Comics as it kicks off the Avengers 60th Anniversary in style when AVENGERS: WAR ACROSS TIME arrives in January! And stay tuned in the weeks ahead to learn about the other ways Marvel will be celebrating the Avengers’ milestone year throughout 2023! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

• This is so awesome. It's like a time machine to when I loved comics most. And with all due respect to Jack Kirby and Don Heck, the early Avengers have never looked better.

BLACK PANTHER #13

Story: John Ridley | Art: German Peralta | Variant Cover: Miguel Mercado | Teen+ | $3.99

NAMOR JOINS T'CHALLA'S BRUTAL FIGHT AGAINST THE AVENGERS IN BLACK PANTHER #13!

The King of Wakanda and the King of Atlantis will cross paths again in January’s BLACK PANTHER #13, but this time, they may actually fight side-by-side!

Writer John Ridley’s run on the title has found T’Challa removed from the Avengers, exiled from Wakanda, and on his own against a threat with deep ties to his past. BLACK PANTHER #13 will depict a heated battle between T’Challa and the Avengers, and just when all seems lost, an unexpected ally arrives at the fray to stand at T'Challa's side! ENTER NAMOR! The most bitter rivalry in Marvel Comics reaches a surprising turning point but will T’Challa accept Namor’s help or make him pay for the pain he's inflicted on Wakanda in the past?

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #9

Story: Tochi Onyebuchi | Art/Cover: R.B. Silva | Teen+ | $3.99

Emma Frost uncovers more dark secrets about Steve Rogers’ legacy, the White Wolf unleashes Dimension Z on Sam Wilson, and more in this January’s issues of CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY and CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH!

A new legendary saga in Captain America’s 80-year history is just on the horizon! Kicking off next year, COLD WAR will be an epic comic book crossover between both current Captain America ongoing titles — writers Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing and artist Carmen Carnero’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY and writer Tochi Onyebuchi and artist R.B. Silva’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH. Each series has taken huge strides exploring the complex Captain America legacy with shocking truths about Steve Rogers’ mythic beginnings and an intense showdown between Sam Wilson and the nation of Wakanda.

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #8, Captain America’s allies find themselves scattered across the country with no recollection of how they got there, so Steve calls in a favor with the one person he knows can help — mutant telepath Emma Frost! But what Emma finds chills Steve Rogers to the bone. … And as Steve and his allies race to save a city under siege by A.I.M., the Outer Circle’s ultimate assassin is revealed: Introducing M.O.D.O.C., the Mental Organism Designed Only for Control!

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #9, Captain America’s understanding of his conflict with the White Wolf is flipped upside-down when White Wolf unleashes an enemy from Nomad’s past onto Mohannda’s civilians. Sam Wilson’s first priority is now stopping the onslaught from Dimension Z before it’s too late — but at what cost to his allies?

• "Cold War" prelude.

CARNAGE #9

DAREDEVIL #7

DARK WEB: MS MARVEL #2 (OF 2)

Story: Pirzada, Sabir | Art: Francesco Mortarino | Cover: Marco Checchetto | Teen+ | $3.99

Caught in the explosive events unfolding across New York — including a face-to-face confrontation with Chasm himself — Kamala Khan finds herself teleported to Limbo, the domain of the Goblin Queen Madelyne Pryor in DARK WEB: MS. MARVEL #2 by Sabir Pirzada and Francesco Mortarino! As the city descends into chaos that threatens everything and everyone Kamala holds dear, she’s left with no choice but to call on Miles Morales for a helping hand!

• "Dark Web" tie-in.

DEADPOOL BAD BLOOD TP

DEADPOOL BLACK WHITE BLOOD TP

FANTASTIC FOUR BY DAN SLOTT VOL 3 HC

GHOST RIDER #10

HOUSE OF M OMNIBUS HC

INCREDIBLE HULK #1 FACSIMILE EDITION (NEW PTG)

LEGION OF X #9

MARY JANE AND BLACK CAT #2 (OF 5)

Story: Jed MacKay | Art: Vincenzo Carratu | Cover: J. Scott Campbell  | Teen | $3.99

Mary Jane Watson and Felicia Hardy are trapped in Limbo and at the mercy of BELASCO THE SWORDSMAN in Jed MacKay and Vincenzo Carratu’s MARY JANE & BLACK CAT #3. As if that wasn’t bad enough, they’re also keeping secrets from one another! Somehow, MJ’s got powers and there’s a new (old) man in Felicia’s life — and if they don’t come clean with one another, they could be stuck in Limbo FOREVER!

• "Dark Web" tie-in.
  • It looks like they're turning MJ into Jackpot, a 2007 character who we were supposed to think was Mary Jane before she turned out to be two other characters. That makes my head hurt.

MECH STRIKE MONSTER HUNTERS TP

MIGHTY MMW DOCTOR STRANGE VOL 2: ETERNITY WAR TP

MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #2

Story: Cody Ziglar | Art: Federico Vicentini | Cover: Dike Ruan | Teen | $3.99

SPIDEY VS. THE SCORPION'S STING!

MILES MORALES' world is spinning out of control! A mysterious new threat is rising and coming at SPIDER-MAN hard, and if Spidey doesn't fight back with everything he's got — he could LOSE everything. What does this new villain have to do with MISTY KNIGHT's investigation and a slew of upgraded foes, like THE SCORPION, terrorizing NYC? This battle is going to change Spidey's life forever — someone's not walking away from this one!

MONICA RAMBEAU: PHOTON #2 (OF 5)

MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR #2 (OF 5)

MOON KNIGHT #19

PREDATOR #6

SAVAGE AVENGERS #9

SECRET WARS OMNIBUS HC (NEW PTG)

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #30

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER BY GREG PAK VOL 5 SHADOWS SHADOW TP

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC #4

STAR WARS: MANDALORIAN #7

TIGER DIVISION #3 (OF 5)

TRIALS OF X VOL 4 TP

WOLVERINE #29

X-MEN #18

MORE COMICS

ALONE VOL 13: STRIPED SOULS GN

ALPHA BETAS #4 (OF 4)

AM ARCHIVES THREE STOOGES #1 1949

BATTRON BEFORE THE CHARIOTS GN

BEREZINA VOL 2 GN

BILLIONAIRE ISLAND CULT OF DOGS #3 (OF 6)

BLADE RUNNER: 2039 #2

Story: Mike Johnson, Mellow Brown | Art: Andres Guinaldo | Color: Marco Lesko | Covers: Kendrick Lim, Veronica Fish, Syd Mead | Titan | 32 pages | $3.99

A figure from Ash’s distant past drags the disgraced and battle-weary ex-Blade Runner back into action.

CHARTWELL MANOR

Story/Art: Glenn Head

No one asks for the childhood they get, and no child ever deserves to go to Chartwell Manor. For Glenn Head, his two years spent at the now-defunct Mendham, NJ, boarding school — run by a serial sexual and emotional abuser of young boys in the early 1970s — left emotional scars in ways that he continues to process. This graphic memoir — a book almost 50 years in the making — tells the story of that experience and then delves with even greater detail into that experience’s reverberations in adulthood, including addiction and other self-destructive behavior. Head tells his story with unsparing honesty, depicting himself as a deeply flawed human struggling to make sense of his childhood. Now in paperback.

"Chartwell Manor is a raw and cathartic story about how to reckon with the past, and a powerful reminder that sexual assault can take years to understand, much less recover from." — Entertainment Weekly

"A harrowing and important graphic novel." — Hollywood Reporter

"Unflinchingly honest and hypnotically powerful, this is a standout entry on the shelf of the great graphic autobiographies." — Publishers Weekly

"This is a great graphic novel. I couldn't put it down. ... Starkly honest, a powerful story. ... The level of merciless self examination. ... I was deeply impressed. Head has traveled a long way to get to this point. ... A Masterpiece! It's good for the world." — R. Crumb

CISCO KID JOSE LUIS SALINAS & REED VOL 6 1961-1964 TP

COMING HOME #1

DEAD KINGDOM #4

DEGA HC VOL 01

DOCTOR WHO ORIGINS TPB

Story: Jody Houser | Art: Roberta Ingranata, Warnia K Sahadewa | Titan Comics | 128 pages | $17.99

Eisner-nominated writer Jody Houser (Supergirl, Stranger Things) and fan-favorite artist Roberta Ingranata (Witchblade) return for another spectacular time-traveling adventure which deepens the lore of the Doctor Who universe.

The clandestine Time Lord organization called Division has sent the Doctor to eliminate a threat to Gallifrey. Joined by her new partner, Taslo, they soon discover something amiss. What secret are the Time Lords hiding? And how much danger does it put them in? Discover exactly why the Doctor became hunted by Division and branded a fugitive…

Buy it, read it, then travel back in time to read it for the first time all over again …!

DREAM MASTER #2 (OF 5)

END AFTER END #5

ENDANGERED #4

EXCITING COMICS #29

FAR CRY: ESPERANZA'S TEARS #4

FIGHT COMICS FEATURING SENORITA RIO VOL 3 SOFTEE

• HC, Slipcase already published.

FINAL GAMBLE #1 (OF 6)

Story: Robyn Singer | Art/Cover: Jorge Santiago, Jr. | Band of Bards | $4.99

Gambling addict Danny Lin, and disgraced MMA fighter Jasmeet Khanna have both fallen on hard times. Owing an enormous amount of money to a loan shark named Mandy, they are offered the chance to save themselves by winning the money they need-in a game of poker against her. Unable to work together, the two men are easily defeated. As a result of their defeat, the two become prisoners of The Mercury Society, a group composed of the richest and most powerful people in the world. In this unforgiving Hell, people are forced to fight to the death in an elite gamble for their souls.

• I happily give small press a little boost where I can. This is press so small, though, that I doubt anybody reading this can find a copy.

FORTUNE OF WINCZLAVS VOL 2: TOM AND LISA 1910 GN

FROM THE STATIC TP

GODHEAD VOL 2 GN

Story/Art: Ho Che Anderson

In the second and concluding volume of Godhead, GH2 picks up from where GH1 ended, with Racer Calhoun and the rest of Cadre Zeus finally learning why they've been assembled: to destroy Oceanus, the scientific facility traveling through the Pacific housing the God machine introduced in volume one. They undertake what they hope will be a routine intelligence gathering mission on Oceanus that turns into a desperate fight for survival through the city from which Racer had fled, and leads to a reunion with Carys, the great love of his life.

Finally the cadre are ready to confront Oceanus and put an end to the God machine once and for all. The story's finale upends the usual narrative expectations and concludes with a somber private epiphany that results in the triumph of human reason over a technocratic/supernatural savior.

Part Boy's Own adventure genre, part men-on-a-mission yarn, part formal playground through which the author can exercise his restless obsessions, Godhead 2 is the action-based resolution to the psychological drama of the first volume.

GREATEST NAME IN COMICS: DAREDEVIL #1

Story: Kenny Porter | Art: Inaki Azpiazu | Cover: Stefan Tosheff | $5.99

Bart Hill grew up a member of the famed "Hill Family Stunts," known for their daring live shows and harrowing feats for Film and Television. In the wake of terrible loss Bart has decided to take up a new charge-to use his skills and training to take the biggest hits, survive the biggest explosions, and keep coming back for more! For Bart Hill being a hero is no mere stunt!

• Dynamite is using this character (now in public domain) in its Project: Super Powers line, only it calls him the "Daring 'Devil" or somesuch. It looks like whoever is running the new "Lev Gleason" line (it's not Lev, he's dead) is going straight at Marvel, daring them to sue.
  • I like the B cover, which is an homage to Daredevil Comics #1 in 1941.

JUNGLE COMICS #11

KAMEN RIDER: ZERO-ONE #2

Story: Brandon Easton | Art: Hendry Prasetya | Covers: Simone Raggazoni, Elmer Damaso, Photo | Titan | 32 pages | $3.99

NEW COMIC SERIES OF THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF THE NEW TOKUSATSU TV SHOW KAMEN RIDER ZERO-ONE!

Aruto Hiden is KAMEN RIDER ZERO-ONE! Along with his trusty humagear companion Izu, he’s saved the world numerous times as the insectile superhero! But when his company HIDEN INTELLIGENCE is attacked by the mysterious RAGNAROK, Aruto must not only face the volcanic cluster cell-powered villain but also his own past.

LARGO WINCH VOL 19 EDGE OF NIGHT GN

LIFE AND DEATH OF THE BRAVE: CAPTAIN SUAVE #4

LOST SOULS: HAYWIRE #1

Artist/Writer Darryl Knickrehm

Psychiatry for robots sucks. That's why Bob is a day away from early retirement. Unfortunately, a patient is about to reveal a secret that will ruin his dreams of freedom forever.
Synopsis:

Bob is a psychiatrist for robots, a psychiatrist who hates his job. Day in and day out he analyzes, certifies and judges the head-spinning drones, the stuttering bots, the self-looping droids - and he's had enough! All this silicon lunacy is driving him insane. Luckily it's his last day on the job. Unluckily, he may have just botched his escape. He's made a mistake. A mistake that has brought an unusual patient — one that will judge him. Part cybernetic The Metamorphosis part Chuck Palahniuk-tinged Twilight Zone, get ready for the transgressive cyberpunk whodunit in the shared world of Lost Souls.

Quote From The Creator:

"HAYWIRE and the whole LOST SOULS series has been brewing for over a decade from my experiences living in Japan. I am ecstatic that Scout is as excited as I am to bring HAYWIRE to the world and I am thrilled to be working with them. I can't wait to see what we're going to do together."

MAEVE: RISING WARRIOR #1

Story: Kevin G Corcoran, Cristiano Seixas | Art: Caio Majado | Cover: Ed Benes | Red 5 Comics | $4.95

Discover the story of Maeve, Ireland's greatest heroine of antiquity. The Irish warrior Queen of Connacht, who became High Queen of all Ireland and an Irish Goddess, through her will, strength and prowess over men.  Her name means "intoxicating." She was the most beautiful and powerful woman in ancient Ireland more than 2000 years ago. Skilled in the arts of Celtic Druid magic and sorcery, learn how she discovers her powers and strengths to become Ireland's greatest female hero!

• Didn't Ed Benes used to do a lot of stuff for Marvel? Well, now he's doing stuff for these guys.

MEMORIES FROM THE CIVIL WAR VOL 3 (OF 3) GN

MINDSET #6

MINERVA'S MAP KEY TO PERFECT APOCALYPSE TP

MONSTER OF METAL: KRAMPUS IN CONCERT

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: REVENANCE #2

NOTTINGHAM VOL 2 THE HUNT GN

PEANUTS: SNOOPY SOARS TO SPACE TP

PLANET COMICS #13

POPEYE: WIMPY & HIS HAMBURGERS

Story/Art: E.C. Segar

The incorrigible Wimpy takes center stage in the second volume of Fantagraphics' spectacularly packaged comic strip collection, The E.C. Segar Popeye Sundays.

An irresistible alchemy of screwball comedy, tender romance and rags-to-riches fantasy, Elsie Crisler Segar's newspaper comic strip, starring Popeye the sailor man, captivated readers of the Roaring Twenties and beyond. Fantagraphics is thrilled to bring Segar's whimsical world back into print, collecting the complete Popeye Sunday stories in four gorgeous full-color volumes, each packaged in a deluxe vertical slipcase.

Volume one highlighted the mercurial relationship between Popeye and Olive Oyl, while volume two shifts the focus to an even more dynamic connection, between that of J. Wellington Wimpy and his one true object of desire: a delectable hamburger. A notorious chiseler without a penny to his name, Wimpy is forever scheming new ways to bamboozle the local diner out of a mouth-watering morsel of his favorite meal. And the audacious chicaneries Wimpy employs in pursuit of his greatest love are as riotous today as they were when these strips first appeared in the '30s. Featuring laugh-out-loud gags, sensational slugfests, and an endearing cast of characters, this Wimpy-centric volume of classic Popeye adventures emphatically answers the question: Where's the beef? Plus, an illustrated appreciation/deconstruction of this legendary comic character by acclaimed cartoonist Kevin Huizenga!

• Sorely tempted to jump on this train. Anybody know if this is chronological?

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: STRANGE MYSTERIES Softee

• HC, Slipcase versions already published. I have this already in hardback — in fact, somehow I ended up with two of them.

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: WORLDS OF FEAR VOL 1 Softee

• HC, Slipcase versions already published.

PS ARTBOOK BLACKHAWK VOL 5 Softee

• I've ordered this.

PS ARTBOOKS PHANTOM LADY FACSMILE ED #16-18

Story/Art: Matt Baker, various | PS Artbooks | 36 pages each | Feb-Jun 1948 | $23.99 each

PS Facsimile comics offers a three-issue line-up from the pen of the legendary Matt Baker of Phantom Lady. All of these comics have been faithfully reproduced with all scans reworked to bring them back as close as possible to the dizzy days of the originals.

With Glossy covers and interiors printed on environmentally friendly matt Carbon Based paper. In addition an oversized A3 cover reproduction on card and ready to frame, with an embossed seal identifying the limited status of this imprint. This is the future of comics right here Henry, so make sure you don’t miss out a single title.

• I guess there are reasons to buy a facsimile edition of an individual issue instead of a "Softee" with five issues for roughly the same price. I can't think of any, but I'm a collection kind of guy.

QUESTED #1

RICK & MORTY CRISIS ON C-137 #3

SEA OF THIEVES: ORIGINS VOL. 1

Story: Jeremy Whitley | Art: Rhoald Marcellius | Colors: Sakti Yuwono | Letters: Jaka Ady | Cover: Iolanda Zanfarido | Titan | 84 pages | $13.99

BASED ON THE SMASH-HIT MULTIPLAYER ADVENTURE SEA OF THIEVES! 

DIVE INTO THE LORE OF THE SEA OF THIEVES! COLLECTED FOR THE FIRST TIME!  PREVIOUSLY ONLY AVAILABLE DIGITALLY.

FILLED WITH ACTION, GOLD AND UNTOLD TALES OF GLORY! When three unlikely travellers set sail for pirate waters, making their fortune will also make history!

Collects Sea of Thieves Origins: The Price of Gold, Sea of Thieves Origins: The Bonds of Union, and Sea of Thieves Origins: The Vision of Order.

SHUBEIK LUBEIK GN

Story/Art: Deena Mohamed | Pantheon Books | $35.00

A brilliantly original debut graphic novel that imagines a fantastical Cairo where wishes really do come true. Shubeik Lubeik — a fairy tale rhyme that means "your wish is my command" in Arabic — is the story of three people who are navigating a world where wishes are literally for sale. Three wishes that are sold at an unassuming kiosk in Cairo link Aziza, Nour and Shokry, changing their perspectives as well as their lives. Aziza learned early that life can be hard, but when she loses her husband and manages to procure a wish, she finds herself fighting bureaucracy and inequality for the right to have — and make — that wish. Nour is a privileged college student who secretly struggles with depression and must decide whether or not to use their wish to try to "fix" this depression, and then figure out how to do it. And, finally, Shokry must grapple with his religious convictions as he decides how to help a friend who doesn't want to use their wish. Deena Mohamed brings to life a cast of characters whose struggles and triumphs are heartbreaking, inspiring and deeply resonant.

• Has there ever been a story where someone gets a wish and it doesn't go sideways? I guess it wouldn't be much of a story.

SILVER AGE CLASSIC UNUSUAL TALES VOL 5 Softee

SILVER AGE CLASSICS GORGO VOL 1 Softee

TALES OF CARNIVAL ROW GN

• I like the TV show. Well, I liked the first season, which is all we've seen, and when the second season arrives in February, that will be all she wrote.

W THE WHORE HC

Story: Katrin De Vries, Mark David Nevins | Art: Anne Feuchtenberger | New York Review Comics | $39.95

Soon after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the West German-born Katrin de Vries read a magazine featuring the drawings of the East German-born Anke Feuchtenberger. De Vries wrote to ask Feuchtenberger if she might want to collaborate, and together, they've produced some of the most striking German comics of the last 30 years, most notably W the Whore.  

Collected here in English for the first time, W the Whore presents the shared vision of de Vries and Feuchtenberger at its most ambitious. The titular heroine W the Whore, drawn in a shifting guise by Feuchtenberger, navigates the tedious rituals of womanhood, the unsettling mysteries of male desire and the strangeness of motherhood, all while moving through a familiar but hostile everyday landscape of houses, factories, rail yards, and other ominous structures.

• I guess it's good that the highbrow folks are experimenting with graphic novels ...

WEST MOON CHRONICLES #2

WHO OWNS THE CLOUDS GN

Story: Mario Brassard | Art: Gerard DuBois | Tundra Books | $19.99

Even though Mila is no longer a child, she is overcome by memories — memories of a childhood halfway between reality and dreaming, and not knowing which is which. In her dreams, Mila and her family leave their bombed village to stand in line for weeks on end, suitcases in hand, hoping to move on to better lives. But the memories of her uncle's disappearance, and the approach of looming clouds, keep blurring the lines between past and present, real and unreal. How can Mila move forward?  Perhaps if the clouds can remind her of where she's from, they can also show her where to go.

• ... even though they seem aimed at college English courses more than casual reading.

XIII GN VOL 25 RELOADED MEMORY

MORE MANGA

A GALAXY NEXT DOOR GN VOL 04

CASE CLOSED GN VOL 85

CASTE HEAVEN GN VOL 08

CHILLIN ANOTHER WORLD LEVEL 2 SUPER CHEAT POWERS GN VOL 05

DANDADAN GN VOL 02

DRUGSTORE IN ANOTHER WORLD CHEAT PHARMACIST GN VOL 06

DUNGEON TOILET GN VOL 03

FLY ME TO THE MOON GN VOL 15

GHOST IN THE SHELL FULLY COMPILED ED HC

GIVEN GN VOL 07

GLEIPNIR GN VOL 12

HELCK GN VOL 01

KAIJU NO 8 GN VOL 05

KNIGHT BLOOMS BEHIND CASTLE WALLS GN VOL 01

MACHIMAHO MADE WRONG PERSON MAGICAL GIRL GN VOL 11

MALEVOLENT SPIRITS MONONOGATARI GN VOL 01

MAO GN VOL 09

MANGA Z #6     

MASHLE MAGIC & MUSCLES GN VOL 10

MULTI MIND MAYHEM GN VOL 06

MY HAPPY MARRIAGE GN VOL 02

NEW GATE MANGA GN VOL 11

NO 6 MANGA OMNIBUS GN VOL 01

NORAGAMI STRAY GOD GN VOL 25

POKEMON ADVENTURES X Y GN VOL 04

SAINT SEIYA SAINTIA SHO GN VOL 15

SKIP BEAT 3IN1 GN VOL 15

VINLAND SAGA GN VOL 13

WHEN WILL AYUMU MAKE HIS MOVE GN VOL 09

WITCHES OF ADAMAS GN VOL 04

YO-KAI WATCH GN VOL 20

YOU LIKE ME NOT MY DAUGHTER GN VOL 02

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I like the B cover, which is an homage to Daredevil Comics #1 in 1941."

I might buy that one. Depends on what the comic itself looks like. It strikes me that Vladimir Putin would make a perfect comic book foil. Mike Baron used him to excellent effect back in the 2016 Badger series published by Devil's Due/1First Comics, but since then, nothin'. It also strikes me that I haven't seen a "serious" portrayal of Trump as President while he was in office. (Parodies, sure... plenty of parodies.) I can cite contemporary depictions in comics of every U.S. President from Kennedy to Obama off the top of my head, but no Trump. Maybe I just missed it. I don't read as many comics as I used to.

"Sorely tempted to jump on this train. Anybody know if this is chronological?"

I do believe it is, BUT... it's only the Sundays. Personally, I prefer the dailies. Fantagraphics released six volumes of the complete dailies and Sundays combined (as I know you know), and I suspect this series is for those who must have color in their comics. I can't advise you (or anyone else) not to buy it, but If I were going to get a single volume of Segar Sundays, this is the one I'd get:

ThimbleTheatreCoverWeb.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

This one includes every Sunday from the very first one (January 25, 1925) to the first one with Popeye in it (March 2, 1930). It has all those great pre-Popeye adventures with Castor Oyl (Olive's brother) and Ham Gravy (Olive's boyfriend) and loads of other colorful characters.

"I guess there are reasons to buy a facsimile edition of an individual issue"

I bought (expensive) facsimile editions of the first five issues of Moon Girl for Tracy (of Moon-T). I'm glad I have them, but I'd just as soon have a collection. The only one of true historical significance is #5, which contains "Zombie Terror" by Johnny Craig, the first ever EC horror story which is not available anywhere else as far as I know. 

• "It looks like whoever is running the new "Lev Gleason" line... is going straight at Marvel, daring them to sue."

I don't think that's going to happen. (The character is in the public domain, as you say.) "Daredevil" (by that name) has been a recurring character at Image for years.

72364134688.161.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• THE LONELY WAR OF WILLY SCHULTZ GN

I will be getting this. When they sent me to Vietnam, where I was we didn't have plumbing but we did have a small PX. It had comics, but I discovered that the comics were all three months behind. I wound up reading some titles that were new to me. Fightin' Army with "The Lonely War of Capt Willy Schultz" was one of them. Unlike Sgts Rock and Fury, there was a lot more realism in it. I've never read all of the issues, and the unfinished series is being finished here.

• HOMAGE ALERT:

large-9047195.jpg?1673148541&profile=RESIZE_710x

46780928984.1.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

Marvel is so bossy lately.

large-4104023.jpg?1672790893&profile=RESIZE_710x

"Change your reality!"

"Renew your vows!"

How about, "Mind your own business!"?

• It strikes me that Vladimir Putin would make a perfect comic book foil. Mike Baron used him to excellent effect back in the 2016 Badger series published by Devil's Due/1First Comics, but since then, nothin'. 

You're right on all points, of course. But those are the facts. The "why" is more elusive.

I think with Putin, the intelligentsia has been a bit confused about him, and therefore there's no real consensus among the rest of us. Initially, Putin presented himself as a successor to Gorbachev, and a partner of the West. Some talking heads embraced him at his word, enthusiastically. Then, as his actions proved different, some peeled away horrified, while others adhered to their original assessment, and their support of him.

The upshot is, there was no consistent message coming from Washington and the talking heads that populate it, so most people weren't sure what to think. And, honestly, most didn't care.

Then the right wing latched onto him. Trump loves loves him publicly, to the point of treason. And now the Tucker Carlsons of the world are actively supporting Putin over anybody in their own country who votes Democratic.

I think he's a terrifying, aggressive, expansive dictator of the old school that we should be fighting with all might and main. He certainly should fill the "Hitler" and "Stalin" niche in comic books. But no publisher is going to antagonize all those Tucker Carlson viewers. 

It also strikes me that I haven't seen a "serious" portrayal of Trump as President while he was in office. (Parodies, sure... plenty of parodies.) 

Same thing. No publisher wants to antagonize the Trump-voting public who might plunk down their bucks for a funnybook. (Not that any do.) Because there's no way to present the Trump administration rationally or morally that matches up with reality. So rather than present this criminal enterprise as something noble, the comics are doing nothing.

I say this with some credibility, having lived through the Nixon years. The man was a criminal, it was obvious that he was a criminal at the time, and he left office a few minutes ahead of impeachment by his own party. But my mother was one of many people who went to her grave beefing that he was immorally persecuted by left-wingers.

No comics company wanted to alienate right-wingers, so none of them did. Except Steve Englehart at Marvel, who wrote the "Secret Empire" story in Captain America in the mid-'70s. But even so, he never said "Nixon" by name. And if you weren't familiar with Watergate, you might never have caught on to what Englehart was writing about.

And nobody else did anything. I expect much the same with Trump. We Americans don't like our high opinion of ourselves mitigated by reality.

• "I think with Putin, the intelligentsia has been a bit confused about him..."

I expect more from the comic book intelligentsia, dating all the way back to the S&K cover of Captain America Comics #1.

"Because there's no way to present the Trump administration rationally or morally that matches up with reality."

My point exactly.

"Except Steve Englehart at Marvel, who wrote the "Secret Empire" story in Captain America in the mid-'70s."

I still chuckle at his "Committee to Regain America's Principles" without ever using the acronym. :) 

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Except Steve Englehart at Marvel, who wrote the "Secret Empire" story in Captain America in the mid-'70s."

I still chuckle at his "Committee to Regain America's Principles" without ever using the acronym. :) 

Englehart didn’t invent that out of whole cloth. Nixon’s reelection fundraising org was the Committee to Reelect the President. Self-reflection not being their strong suit, the Nixonians didn’t understand why people laughed at CREEP.

• No comics company wanted to alienate right-wingers

In the movies it was very rare that a Confederate soldier wasn't the hero. That way they knew that the movie houses in the South would run it. The rest of the country didn't seem to have a problem with it, so they did it. It helped to feed the Lost Cause mythology, whether or not that was intended.

• What interests me is how everyone used to think that Putin was some kind of grand master of five-dimensional chess, but now we sew how badly he's mishandled the war with Ukraine.  To me that grew up during the Cold War, expecting the "Reds" to pour through the Fulda Gap and charge to the Rhine at any moment, seeing the Ukraineans hold them of for nearly a year has been astonishing. (Granted, we and the Europeans having been shipping the Ukraineans every spare weapons system that we had lying around, not to mention providing them with oceans of intel, but initally, no one expected them to last a week.  I feel sure that Putin expected to be able to present the West with a fait accompli, and had precisely zero plans in place to deal with a protracted war.

Captain Comics said:

It strikes me that Vladimir Putin would make a perfect comic book foil. Mike Baron used him to excellent effect back in the 2016 Badger series published by Devil's Due/1First Comics, but since then, nothin'. 

You're right on all points, of course. But those are the facts. The "why" is more elusive.

I think with Putin, the intelligentsia has been a bit confused about him, and therefore there's no real consensus among the rest of us. Initially, Putin presented himself as a successor to Gorbachev, and a partner of the West. Some talking heads embraced him at his word, enthusiastically. Then, as his actions proved different, some peeled away horrified, while others adhered to their original assessment, and their support of him.

The upshot is, there was no consistent message coming from Washington and the talking heads that populate it, so most people weren't sure what to think. And, honestly, most didn't care.

Then the right wing latched onto him. Trump loves loves him publicly, to the point of treason. And now the Tucker Carlsons of the world are actively supporting Putin over anybody in their own country who votes Democratic.

I think he's a terrifying, aggressive, expansive dictator of the old school that we should be fighting with all might and main. He certainly should fill the "Hitler" and "Stalin" niche in comic books. But no publisher is going to antagonize all those Tucker Carlson viewers. 

• Putin underestimated Ukraine. He also underestimated NATO.

I think that whatever money was on the books for weapons, maintenance and training was stolen by Putin and his buddies. Then, on top of that, they lied to their troops.

This reply was deleted.