Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022

<p style="clear: both;">

BOOM!

BRIAR #1

Story:Christopher Cantwell | Art/Cover: German Garcia | $4.99

What if Sleeping Beauty never got her happily ever after ... and instead had to save herself?

Set in a brutal fantasy world that time forgot, this isn't the fairy tale you know!

Eisner Award-nominated writer, producer, and director Christopher Cantwell (Iron Man, The United States of Captain America, Halt and Catch Fire) and rising artist Germán Garc a (Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land) reimagine the classic tale as an epic dark fantasy adventure.

• Here's a preview.
  • Looks interesting.

GRIM #5

HOLLOW OGN HC

• The FCBD preview didn't do  much for me.

HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #9

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #100

• Here's a preview. And, no, I'm not going to figure out what the other 99 issues are.

SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN SCARLET BANDANA

VAMPIRE SLAYER (BUFFY) #6

DARK HORSE COMICS

GANTZ OMNIBUS VOL 10 TP

KINGS OF NOWHERE VOL 1 TP

THE ROADIE #1

Dark Horse Comics is proud to present the new dark horror action series The Roadie. From creators Tim Seeley (The Occultist, Hack/Slash, Revival) and Fran Galan (Lucky Devil) comes this horror saga about nostalgia, heavy metal music, hell and redemption.

More than 35 years after his heyday, a former heavy metal roadie must return to the backroads of America to do a job he thought he'd retired from: exorcist. But this time, he's not saving groupies and drunk bassists. He's trying to save his daughter.

"I wanted to tell the story of the 'unsung hero' of the 80s Satanic Panic era,” Tim Seeley says, “the roadies who supported all those metal bands, not only by tuning their guitars, but by casting out the horrific demons they accidentally summoned with backwards lyrics and screaming riffs. Joe D. is the seventh son of a seventh son, and though once he stood next to greatness, he now wallows in obscurity ... until he gets called upon to return to a past he thought he'd left far behind. THE ROADIE is part Hack/Slash, part Revival and all heart, with Fran Galan doing some absolutely rockin' art."

Praise for The Occultist #1:

“The latest Occultist series is shaping up to be another hit for Dark Horse Comics, and is proving to be a commendable addition to the superhero genre.” — Bloody Disgusting

“I would highly recommend this series to my friends; it has a little something for everyone and can be enjoyed by a wide spectrum of age groups. Dark Horse has another hit on their hands!” — Following the Nerd

“Rob Bailey has a charming awkwardness about him that makes you want to root for him while at the same time realize that he is in control of a powerful and dangerous weapon. The Occultist #1 is a fun read and it sets up some interesting story points that I am excited to see play out over the next four issues.” — Comic Spectrum

WIZARD KING NOVEL TRILOGY BOXED SET

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1047

BATMAN: BEYOND THE WHITE KNIGHT #5 (OF 8)

BATMAN: CURSE OF THE WHITE KNIGHT DELUXE EDITION

BATMAN: FORTRESS #5 (OF 8)

BATMAN: THE AUDIO ADVENTURES #1 (OF 7)

Story: Dennis McNicholas | Art: Anthony Marques, J. Bone | Covers: Dave Johnson, Michael Allred | $3.99

Don't touch that dial! Picking up right after the season finale of the award-winning podcast, Batman: The Audio Adventures continues in this new seven-issue miniseries! A string of attacks has plagued Gotham's seedy underbelly, sending criminals into a panic. But it's not Batman who is striking at the heart of the city, it's a group of mysterious assailants on the hunt for an ancient artifact. As Batman hunts down these assassins, he finds clues that keep drawing him to their true goal: the sword of King Scimitar!

• So, can you read the comic book along with the podcast?

BLACK ADAM: JSA — BLACK REIGN TP

BLACK ADAM: RISE AND FALL OF AN EMPIRE TP

BLOOD SYNDICATE SEASON ONE #5 (OF 8)

Story: Geoffrey Thorne | Art: ChrisCross, Juan Castro | Covers: Dexter Soy, Canaan White, Jorge Corona | $3.99

Holocaust turns up the heat on Paris Island! How did he come to take control of the city, and what is he going to do next? Learn his origin and his grand plans for the future — and can he be stopped?

• Heads up, Milestone fans.

BLUE & GOLD TP

DC HORROR PRESENTS: SGT. ROCK VS. THE ARMY OF THE DEAD #1 (OF 6)

Story: Bruce Campbell | Art: Eduardo Risso | Cover: Gary Frank | $3.99

Berlin, 1944. The Nazis are besieged on all fronts by the Allied forces. Defeat is inevitable. But Hitler and his team of evil scientists attempt a last-ditch effort that may turn the tide of the war and rewrite history itself: a serum that resurrects their dead soldiers, stronger than they were in life, and sends them back into the battlefield. Now Sgt. Frank Rock and Easy Company have been dispatched into enemy territory to face off against the strangest, most horrific enemies they've ever encountered: Nazi zombies! Horror icon Bruce Campbell and comics legend Eduardo Risso bring you a terror-soaked Sgt. Rock tale like no other!

• Don't forget to bring stakes, Frank. If this series sells, you'll be fighting Nazi vampires next!

DC MECH #3 (OF 6)

DC VS. VAMPIRES #9 (OF 12)

DC VS. VAMPIRES VOL. 1 HC

DEADMAN TELLS THE SPOOKY TALES TP

DEATHSTROKE INC. #13

DETECTIVE COMICS #1064

FUTURE STATE: GOTHAM VOL 1: THE NEXT JOKER TP

HARLEY QUINN #22

HUMAN TARGET #7 (OF 12)

Story: Tom King | Art: Greg Smallwood | Covers: Greg Smallwood, Stanley Artgerm Lau

The Eisner-nominated series by acclaimed writer Tom King and artist Greg Smallwood, The Human Target, resumes this Fall as Christopher Chance dives deeper into the mystery behind his poisoning, and time is running out!

King and Smallwood turn up the heat for Chance in more ways than one, beginning with Book Seven, in comic book stores and participating digital retailers on Tuesday, September 27. After discovering clues, the death of a Green Lantern and a torrid romance with Tora Olafsdottir, a.k.a. Ice, DC’s top bodyguard may meet his match when Beatriz da Costa, otherwise known as Fire, steps into his life. Only time will tell what secrets this flaming femme fatale might hold, and just how badly The Human Target might get burned.

"If you liked the first half of Human Target, you ain't seen nothing yet,” said King. “As we enter the second half of the series and come closer to Chance's death, the stakes get higher, the violence gets bloodier, the twists get bigger, and the comic, impossibly, gets even prettier. You do not want to miss this one."

Book Seven of The Human Target features a main cover by artist Smallwood, with a main variant cover by Stanley “Artgerm” Lau, plus a 1 in 25 ratio variant cover by Francesco Mattina. Fans can check with their local comic book store of availability and pre-ordering details. The issue weighs in at 40 pages at a price of $4.99.

• So, Chance is going to date both Fire and Ice. Who does he think he is, Pete Davidson?

HUMAN TARGET BOOK 1 HC

Story: Tom King | Art/Cover: Greg Smallwood | $29.99

Christopher Chance has made a living out of being a human target — a man hired to disguise himself as his client to invite would-be assassins to attempt his murder. He’s had a remarkable career until his latest case protecting Lex Luthor, when things go sideways. An assassination attempt Chance didn’t see coming leaves him vulnerable and left trying to solve his own murder...as he has 12 days to discover just who in the DCU hated Luthor enough to want him dead. Collects THE HUMAN TARGET #1-6.

Fans that have missed out of the first half of the series can catch up on all the action and intrigue on Tuesday, September 13, with the first six issues of The Human Target are available as a hardcover collected edition.

I AM BATMAN #13

JURASSIC LEAGUE #5 (OF 6)

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #6 (OF 6)

NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE #10 (OF 12)

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE #2 (OF 3)

TASK FORCE #12 (OF 12)

TIM DRAKE ROBIN #1

Story: Meghan Fitzmartin | Art: Riley Rossmo | Covers: Ricardo Lopez Ortiz, Jorge Jiminez, David Baldeon | $3.99

Step aside, Damian — the world's favorite Robin has got this! That's right, after years away, Tim Drake is taking center stage in a brand-spanking-new Robin series of his very own! A mystery over a year in the making takes shape, as a new villain who's been hounding Tim from afar decides to take things up close and personal, putting Bernard and everyone else Tim cares about in peril as things go from bad to worse for the world's oldest and canonically tallest Robin [no, I will not be fact-checking that]. All that and Tim finally carves out a corner of Gotham City just for himself, and sets up shop in his very own ... murder shack boat? Fan-favorite writer Meghan Fitzmartin teams up with beloved Harley Quinn artist Riley Rossmo to define the next chapter in Tim's life. And as if that wasn't enough, break out your skateboards and motorcycles cuz we've assembled a murderer’s row of artists to draw the 1990s' One True Robin™ in his various looks from over the years!

• The lesson here is that if you're a not-popular comic book character, come out of the closet.

TITANS UNITED TP

YOUNG JUSTICE: TARGETS #3 (OF 6)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BETTIE PAGE: CURSE OF THE BANSHEE TP

PANTHA #5

PURGATORI: WITCHES GET STITCHES TP

SHEENA: QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE #9

VAMPIRELLA: YEAR ONE #3

IDW PUBLISHING

ALEX TOTH: BRAVO FOR ADVENTURE ARTIST EDITION HC 2ND PTG

BEST OF EC ARTISAN EDITION SC

GENIUS ISOLATED: LIFE & ART OF ALEX TOTH SC

GI JOE REAL AMERICAN HERO: RISE OF SERPENTOR HC

MY LITTLE PONY #5

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #53

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: THE ARMAGEDDON GAME #1 (OF 8)

Story: Tom Waltz | Art: Vincenzo Federici | Variants: Vincenzo Federici, Kevin Eastman, Pasquale Qualano

All the pawns have taken their place for the biggest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic book event of 2022!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Armageddon Game shakes the foundation of TMNT’s comic book continuity as years of intricate planning — whether it be in-universe by the manipulative Rat King or behind the scenes by longtime scribe Tom Waltz — come to fruition monthly in eight explosive issues, exquisitely illustrated by Vincenzo Federici (Red Sonja)!

“It’s an absolute honor and privilege to return to IDW’s main TMNT continuity, and to have the opportunity to do it as the creative lead on a huge multilayered event like The Armageddon Game (which has been bouncing around in my brain ever since I stepped away after issue #100) is the veritable icing on the cake,” says Waltz. “I can’t wait for fans to see what we’ve been cooking up. We’ve got a big story to tell and some amazing collaborators joining us in the telling. Let the games begin!"

In The Armageddon Game, the Turtles — under the leadership of the Shredder — begin a dangerous quest to seek out allies against Rat King’s trio of terror: LeatherKrang, Baxter Stockman, and Madame Null. It’s a mission that will see our heroes spread out across New York City … and across multiple dimensions! But they’d better hurry because their enemies are already on the march, and with the Turtles absent, Mutant Town is ripe for false flag attacks, mysterious new villains, and unexpected alliances. The time has come at last to find out who is playing the game … and who is being played!

The groundwork for The Armageddon Game has been over a decade in the making, beginning with the epic world-building collaboration between Waltz and TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman over the series’ initial 100-issue run, continuing under the skillful direction of Sophie Campbell in the ongoing series since 2020, and boiling over most recently with the two-issue lead-in storyline, The Armageddon Game: Opening Moves.

“When I was seven, I decided that I would become a comic book artist when I grew up … and the credit for that decision goes to TMNT. I was obsessed with them and still am,” says Federici. “My personal vision of TMNT is forged in the television series and films of the ’80s and ’90s, but I also take inspiration from those who have worked on the IDW series from the beginning, such as Mateus Santolouco or Sophie Campbell. In the tradition of those great artists, I’ll be giving my very best effort for this series. Readers will be delighted!”

“This story is going to be huge! There are a ton of players (and more than a few surprises), and honestly, this is just the start. When we reach the end of this saga, it will mark the beginning of a whole new era for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Whether you’re a lifelong fan of TMNT or brand-new to the party, The Armageddon Game is not to be missed,” says senior editor Charles Beacham

• They've been pushing this pretty hard.

TODD MCFARLANE’S SPIDER-MAN ARTIST’S EDITION

Todd McFarlane & David Michelinie | 192 pages | B&W | $150.00

In September, IDW will celebrate the dynamic artwork and storytelling of industry icon Todd McFarlane with the addition of Todd McFarlane’s Spider-Man Artist’s Edition to its multiple Eisner Award–winning line.

Experience one of the most acclaimed runs in Spider-Man history like never before!

Todd McFarlane’s gorgeous work on Spider-Man was nothing less than groundbreaking. His intense version of the web-slinging wallcrawler took the character to new heights, instilling in the character a new sense of energy and vitality — first in The Amazing Spider-Man, written by David Michelinie, and then in a spin-off series, with both art and story by McFarlane himself. The impact that his dynamic artwork has had on the comics industry — on his legions of fans and the artists who have been inspired by and have emulated him — is truly immeasurable.

“The impact that McFarlane had on the comics industry was like a thunderbolt striking the art form, and his work continues to resonate to this day with fans the world over,” says Scott Dunbier, IDW’s Director of Special Projects and award-winning originator of the Artist’s Edition format.

This Artist’s Edition will include nearly 100 pages of interior art selected from 24 issues of his consequential The Amazing Spider-Man run, almost 60 pages from his record-setting Spider-Man series, and 25 covers spanning such titles as The Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Marvel Age, Marvel Tales and more.

Classic villains like the Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Sandman, the Vulture, Morbius and the Lizard all make appearances in this Artist’s Edition, as do the Hulk, Wolverine and the ever-delightful Mary Jane Watson-Parker. Plus, one of the most infamous characters introduced in that era — the villainous Venom, co-created by McFarlane — takes the spotlight in a number of pages, including his first appearance in The Amazing Spider-Man #299!

As with all Artist’s Editions, each gorgeous plate will be reproduced from meticulous scans of the original art, with all the distinctive creative nuances that make original art unique — a perfect representation of the work in its original form.

TRANSFORMERS: IDW COLLECTION PHASE 3 HC VOL 3

TRANSFORMERS: SHATTERED GLASS II #2

IMAGE COMICS

BRIGADE #1 REMASTERED EDITION

Covers: Rob Liefeld, Marat Mychaels

The issue that started it all — Rob Liefeld’s Brigade #1 — is set to be remastered by today’s top comic book talent! Celebrate the impact and anniversary of this historic occasion with Brigade #1 Remastered Edition.

This commemorative 30th anniversary edition will showcase a star-studded roster of illustrators creating all-new magic with fresh pages, including such exciting creatives as: Clay Mann, Kenneth Rocafort, Philip Tan, V Ken Marion, Dan Fraga, Marat Mychaels, Ed Piskor, Thomas Scioli, Jim Rugg, Thomas Hedglen and many more alongside that of the legendary Liefeld.

"Brigade #1 was a book that stormed the comics scene in 1992, the book eventually became the top-selling title for me at my Extreme Studios," said Liefeld. "As with all the Year One Image Comics releases, Brigade has a fondness with fans who rally for it every time we re-visit it. I assembled a literal Brigade of Super-Star talent to pull off this remaster in style and the results are spectacular! I can’t wait to share this with the world!"

Brigade exploded onto the scene as one of Image Comics’ launch titles, making its first appearance in August 1992 and electrifying the fandom.

• How many "books that started it all" is Image going to tout this year? There should only be one, of course, but this is, like, the third.

DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #21

EIGHT BILLION GENIES #5

FLAWED #1 (OF 6)

Covers: Prenzy

Chuck Brown — co-writer of the Eisner Award winning series Bitter Root — reunites with On the Stump artist Prenzy for the ultra-violent, high-octane new story in Flawed.

Flawed follows Gem Ezz, a psychiatrist in the Kafkaesque city of Setham, where corruption and brutality rule the streets. By day, she uses words to solve her patients’ problems. By night, she takes a more direct — and sometimes deadly — approach. But when her practice puts her in the sights of an immortal serial killer, Gem finds herself embroiled in a power struggle that threatens everything she’s ever known.

"The city of Setham holds many different strange tales and Gem Ezz's story is only the beginning" said Brown.

I HATE THIS PLACE #5

Today Skybound unveiled a first look at I Hate This Place #5, which concludes the epic first story arc of the supernatural horror series from writer Kyle Starks (Assassin Nation, The Six Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton), artist Artyom Topilin (Ice Cream Man Presents Quarantine Comix Special), colorist Lee Loughridge (Deadly Class, The Good Asian), and letterer Pat Brosseau (Birthright, Manifest Destiny).

The girls have finally left the woods you’re not supposed to go in, but they’re still not safe. They’ll never be safe on Rutherford Ranch, and they’ll never be able to leave it.  

“I'm so proud of these first five issues and the tremendous work Artyom, Lee and Pat have done to bring Gabby, Trudy and this awful, awful ranch to life,” said Starks. “They've done such incredible work that it thrills me to be able to announce that we're coming back with another five issues of I HATE THIS PLACE where questions will be answered, dangers will be escalated, and nothing gets any easier for Gabby and Trudy on Rutherford Ranch. If you've enjoyed the ride so far things are about to get crazy.”

In order to provide retailers and fans with options, each issue of I Hate This Place will have open-to-order covers by Topilin with clean and explicit cover options, featuring the standard series title and the explicit version of the series’ original title, Fuck This Place.

“I continue to recommend this series without reservation, ranking as it does one of the best monthly horror stories in comics.” — Zack Quaintance, The Beat

“I Hate This Place has plenty of scares and revelations left to keep drawing readers in.” — ComicBook.com

“A stellar horror story. Atmosphere, character and terrifying creatures continue to be the hallmarks of this series.” — But Why Tho 

LAZARUS RISEN #7

LITTLE MONSTERS VOL 1 TP

MAGIC ORDER 3 #3

MIGHTY TP

OLD DOG #1

Covers: Declan Shalvey, Marcos Martin, Kevin Nowlan, Chris Samnee

Image Comics is pleased to present a sneak peek at the upcoming series Old Dog by critically-acclaimed creator Declan Shalvey (Moon Knight, X-Men Unlimited, Bog Bodies, Time Before Time). These preview pages tease what’s in store for readers when they pick up this striking new “spy-fi” series slated to hit shelves this August from Image Comics.

Old Dog follows Jack Lynch — once-promising CIA operative, soon-to-be retiree — who is tasked with one final mission … and that mission goes horribly wrong. He wakes years later to a changed world and deeper changes within him. When a shadow group offers Lynch a second chance at a life of adventure, he’s paired with the last person he could ever imagine. In order to adjust, this old dog will have to learn some new tricks.

"I'm so unbelievably excited to let Old Dog off its leash. For a long time I've been itching to develop my own solo series from scratch; one that I write, draw, colour, design and it feels great to finally be doing so with Clayton Cowles as my right-hand man on letters," said Shalvey. "This feels like the next creative step for me, one which is both terrifying and exhilarating. Anyone who was a fan of the kinetic, done-in-one storytelling I employed on Moon Knight will enjoy this series. It's full of mysteries, conspiracies and every now and then, someone gets a serious beating, often the main character."

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips’ Sleeper meets The Americans in this Jason Bourne-esque adventure.

ONYX ONE-SHOT

Locke & Key artist and co-creator Gabriel Rodriguez, colorist Jay Fotos, and writer Chris Ryall bring readers the complete, extra-length tale of a cyborg warrior who calls herself Onyx. The exciting Onyx one-shot story will land on shelves this September and be published by Image Comics/Syzygy.

“I’ve made no secret of my lasting loves in comics—armored cyborg warriors and working with the amazingly talented and fantastic human Gabriel Rodriguez are atop that list,” said Ryall. "So being able to work with Gabe in such a collaborative, inventive way to introduce Onyx and her world in such a compelling and gorgeously illustrated way remains a huge thrill for me. And hopefully for readers, too.”

Onyx arrives in a near-future Nigeria beset by overpopulation and food shortages alongside another alien entity that corrupts all lifeforms in its presence. Is Onyx here to save the planet or, in its final throes, will she help hasten its destruction?

“Onyx came from the idea of doing a story that would be our love letter to sci-fi adventure comics from our childhoods and also ‘80s action movies, but ended up becoming much more,” said Rodriguez. “Mainly because our heroine came to life in a much deeper, more vivid and intriguing way than we expected. We didn’t just want to join her on this ride, we wanted to explore her psyche and her soul through a non-stop adventure set in a world as rich, thrilling and fun as we thought she deserved. Hopefully, our readers will discover in her a character to root for here and want to see more of in future books, too.”

SINS OF BLACK FLAMINGO #4

SKYBOUND PRESENTS AFTERSCHOOL #3       

Skybound today announced the all-star creative team and story behind Skybound Presents Afterschool #3, the latest issue of the new teen horror anthology miniseries that goes the extra mile to teach the cautionary tales your parents were too scared to talk about.

In this issue, writer Jill Blotevogel (Scream: The TV Series, Shining Vale) teams up with artist Marley Zarcone (Shade, the Changing Girl) to present a standalone horror story about a different kind of sibling bonding. Afterschool #3 will be colored by Giovanna Niro (Two Moons, Summoner’s War: Legacy) and lettered by Pat Brosseau (Birthright, Manifest Destiny), and features a stunning cover by Veronica Fish (Archie, Sabrina the Teenage Witch). 

An annoying younger sister doesn’t begin to explain Leda’s situation. Living with Izzy means perpetual chaos — meltdowns, pranks and zero privacy. But when a killer breaks into their home, Izzy might just be their best defense. 

"Children are pretty much sociopaths until we teach them civility. I’ve always loved the idea of crafting a darker, bloodier HOME ALONE about a wild child-sociopath having to defend her home against a killer-psychopath,” said Blotevogel. “Afterschool’s mandate pushed me to create a sibling relationship between teen Leda and young Izzy that gives the primal battle real emotional stakes.”  

The team behind this Afterschool special joins the impressive roster of acclaimed writers and superstar artists from comics, television and beyond working on the miniseries, including Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead (Marvel Studios’ Moon Knight) and Greg Hinkle (Radio Spaceman); Kate Herron (Marvel Studios’ Loki, Sex Education) & Briony Redman (the BAFTA Rocliffe-winning Pont Brec) alongside Leila Leiz (M.O.M.: Mother of Madness, Horde); and Leon Hendrix III (Two Sentence Horror Stories, Mayor of Kingstown). Each standalone Afterschool special features a unique creative team to give each issue a distinct horrifying feel, with its own relatable characters and truly chilling lessons. The series debuts June 8 with a tale of an emotional support dog with a killer secret by Benson, Moorhead, Hinkle, Niro and Brosseau. 

SPAWN SCORCHED #10

STILLWATER BY ZDARSKY & PEREZ #15

UNNATURAL BLUE BLOOD #3

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #10

ANT-MAN #3 (OF 4)

AVENGERS BY JASON AARON VOL 10: DEATH HUNTERS TP

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY ONE-SHOTS

A.X.E: AVENGERS #1

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Federico Vicentini | Covers: Nic Klein, Salvador Larroca

A.X.E.: AVENGERS #1 will strip Iron Man of his armor like never before. He’s spent his life building suits to protect him but now Tony Stark has to enter a suit of armor that could kill us all. Can he survive? Can anyone?

Kieron Gillen and Valerio Schiti’s A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY engulfs the Marvel Universe starting next month! Building off of recent events in AVENGERS, X-MEN, and ETERNALS, this latest Marvel Comics crossover event begins when the Eternals target mutantkind and the Avengers find themselves struggling to prevent an apocalyptic war between two of the strongest factions on the planet. A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY will be a six-issue epic that will tie-in to various ongoing series and launch new limited series and one-shots, including three written by Gillen himself that will bridge the gap between the penultimate and final issue. Teaming up with a superstar trio of artists, Federico Vicentini, Francesco Mobili and Pasqual Ferry, Gillen will focus on a key character from each of the three involved factions in A.X.E.: AVENGERS, A.X.E.: X-MEN, and A.X.E.: ETERNALS. These essential issues will spotlight Iron Man, Jean Grey and Ajak as they embark on a vital and complex mission to penetrate the Progenitor Celestial and shut it down, facing their ultimate judgment every step of the way.

"I wanted Judgment Day to be a huge scale event book, but also really be absolutely about the people in it - that's Marvel comics to me,” Gillen said. “When we say SUPERHUMAN we mean both SUPER and HUMAN. These specials really drill down on that, giving a deep-dive personal horrorshow for the three sides in the crossover, centered on one of their main players — Tony Stark, Jean Grey and Ajak. With their history, can they really justify themselves? Let's find out, in this dungeon-delve-as-psychogeography hell trip. Also, all three have AMAZING ART."

Check out the main covers for all three issues, a connecting piece by Nic Klein, plus a variant connecting cover by Salvador Larrocca and witness these story-critical one-shots starting in September. And be there when the clock starts to tick toward Judgment Day in A.X.E.: EVE OF JUDGMENT, the special prelude issue hitting stands on July 13. For more information, visit Marvel.com.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #5

CONAN THE BARBARIAN EPIC COLLECTION THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS: VENGEANCE ASGALUN TP

CONAN THE BARBARIAN THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL 8 HC

DAMAGE CONTROL #2

DEFENDERS BEYOND #3

FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #5 (OF 5)

Story: Christos Gage & Donald Mustard | Art: Sergio Dávila  | Covers:  Leinil Francis Yu, Ron Lim, Maria Wolf, Donald Mustard, Martin Coccolo, Ryan Brown

Last week, Marvel and Fortnite fans finally got to witness the collision of both universes in the debut issue of the FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR miniseries! Written by veteran Marvel writer Christos Gage and Epic Games’ Chief Creative Officer Donald Mustard and drawn by artist Sergio Davíla, the five-issue epic is packed with revelations and action, starring Fortnite’s greatest heroes as they team up with Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Shuri and more to prevent total annihilation! The battles ahead will have major repercussions for both universes, and right now, fans can get an early glimpse of the Zero War’s final showdown on the cover of FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #5!

The most dangerous person in the Marvel Universe has thrown in with some of the most dangerous people in the Fortnite universe. But what does Doom really want? And how far will he go to get it?

“There’ll be a few things you see in both the game and the comic — mostly in our final issue,” Gage told IGN in a recent interview. “But for the most part, what happens in the game and what happens in the comic are different fronts in the same war. Some questions that players might have about the game are answered in the comic, and vice versa, though neither are required to follow the story in the other.”

Each first print issue (physical copies only) of FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR contains a redeemable code to unlock a bonus digital cosmetic in Fortnite! Digital single-issue comic book purchases of FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR do not include any redeemable codes for Fortnite in-game bonus rewards. The in-game items Marvel and Fortnite fans can look forward to unlocking with FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #5 will be an exclusive new FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Loading Screen! Plus any fan who redeems all five issue’s codes (physical copies only) will receive a new bonus FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Outfit!

GAMBIT #3

GENIS-VELL CAPTAIN MARVEL #3

MARVEL VOICES: COMMUNIDADES #1

Story: Fabian Nicieza, Edgar Delgado, Alex Segura, Zoraida Córdova, & Carlos Hernandez | Art: Paco Medina, Luis Morocho, Rogê Antônio, Yasmín Flores Montañez, Marcelo Costa & Dio Neves | Introduction: Hector Navarro | Cover: Lucas Werneck

MARVEL’S VOICES: COMUNIDADES returns with a new collection of uplifting and action-packed tales highlighting Latin and Latinx creators and characters! To celebrate Hispanic Latinx Heritage Month, the giant-sized one-shot is the latest installment in the groundbreaking Marvel’s Voices series, continuing the tradition of highlighting the cultural richness of the Marvel Universe, celebrating established comic talent, and uplifting new voices in the comic book industry! Packed with five thrilling adventures, MARVEL’S VOICES: COMUNIDADES will embrace various cultural heritages and explore how they impact the journeys of some of your favorite super heroes!

Here are the stories that await in this year’s issue:

• Legendary creator Fabian Nicieza and superstar artist Paco Medina take to the stars in an action-packed Nova adventure!
  • Miles Morales faces the music in an incredible showdown by acclaimed writer Edgar Delgado and artist Luis Morocho in his Marvel Comics debut!
  • Award-winning author Alex Segura and extraordinary artist Rogê Antônio blaze a new trail for White Tiger – and introduce a brand new character to the Marvel Mythos—CHIMERA! Find out if she’s friend or foe in this exciting first appearance. In the meantime, check out Paco Medina’s design for the character in a special variant cover!
  • Novelist Zoraida Córdova and artist Yasmín Flores Montañez dive deep into the heart of Shark-Girl as she finds herself facing off with Namor!
  • Author Carlos Hernandez brings his incredible sci-fi/fantasy storytelling to Marvel Comics for the first time alongside rising star Marcelo Costa. The pair will bring America Chavez home to defend her community against a strange threat!
  • Plus an introduction by Hector Navarro and a heartfelt interview about the history of inclusion at Marvel Comics with Fabian Nicieza.

Check out all four stunning covers and interior artwork from each story now and pick up MARVEL’S VOICES: COMUNIDADES #1 on September 28! For more information including a word from this year’s creators, visit Marvel.com.

MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #42

Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art: Christopher Allen, Carmen Carnero, Paco Medina & More | Cover: Taurin Clarke

As the number of the spider that bit him and the winning lottery number for Brooklyn Visions Academy, the number 42 means a lot in Miles Morales’ world, and series writer Saladin Ahmed will celebrate this landmark issue with an oversized spectacular this September! Joining him will be handful of past and present Miles Morales talent including current series artist Christopher Allen, WHAT IF…? MILES MORALES artist Paco Medina, and fomer Miles Morales artist and current CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY artist Carmen Carnero!

Miles has been through it lately — time for a little R&R now, right? Not when there’s good that needs doing, and when something dark and insidious rears its ugly head on the streets of Brooklyn, Spider-Man is the only hope to end it. But Miles will need help, from his friends, his family and the most unexpected allies, if he dares to even stand a chance this time!

MMW WEREWOLF BY NIGHT VOL 1 HC

MOON KNIGHT VOL 2: TOO TOUGH TO DIE TP

REIGN OF X VOL 14 TP

SHANG-CHI AND TEN RINGS #3

STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #24

STAR WARS HAN SOLO CHEWBACCA #6

STRANGE VOL 1: I BELONG TO DEATH TP

THOR #27

Written By Donny Cates

Art By Salvador Larroca

Cover By Nic Klein

Two kings of the Marvel Universe will battle alongside each other to combat a new threat to Earth this July!

Thor, King of Asgard, and Eddie Brock, the symbiote’s King in Black, will set aside any personal differences and join forces in an upcoming arc of Donny Cates and Nic Klein’s acclaimed THOR series. Beginning in THOR #27, the two-part saga will be Cates’ grand reunion with Venom, the character he redefined in his historic VENOM run that came to an end last year. Now delivering that same treatment to Thor, Cates’ latest thunderous arc will continue to revolutionize the Thor mythos and raise the stakes for what’s been building up since issue #1.

And Venom won’t be the only guest star! Superstar artist Salvador Larroca will be drawing this thrilling two-parter, with regular series artist Nic Klein set to return for THOR #29.

“We’re so thrilled to have the legendary Salvador Larroca join us as a guest artist for this story!” said editor Wil Moss. “Donny thought he’d told all the Venom stories he had to tell, but the amazing world building that Ram V, Al Ewing and Bryan Hitch have been doing in their brilliant VENOM series gave Donny an idea for a story that brings the world of Thor and the world of Venom together in a really fresh, exciting way.”

THUNDERBOLTS #2

WILD CARDS: DRAWING OF CARDS #3

X-MEN #15

X-MEN BY GERRY DUGGAN VOL 2 TP

MORE COMICS

ABYSMALATION COLLECTED SHORT WORKS TP

Story/Art: Josh Bayer

Abysmalation is a book by a Josh Bayer, (author of Ignatz-nominated Theth, Tomorrow Forever, creator of the comics anthology Suspect Device, editor and writer for All Time Comics) collecting an array of fast-and-loose comics and obscure short pieces. The work here ranges from personal to experimental, some completed in ink, some scrawled in pencil on the backs of his gas bill.

Biedcage Bottom Books | $18.00

• Fast and loose? Scrawled in pencil? Back of the gas bill? Really? I should pull out all of my college-notes doodles and sell them as a book to Birdcage.

ACID NUN GN

Story/Art: Corinne Halbert

A bad trip leads Annie, our earnest heroine, through a journey of suffering and self-discovery. 

Caught within the confines of her own mind, Annie struggles against the doubled weight of trauma and despair. In order to crawl her way out, she must grapple with the cruelest parts of her psyche, and make peace with her inner child and suppressed past. Annie argues with her demons and punches her way toward the light, with a little help from her dedicated and loving friends. 

Lushly illustrated with influences from spiritual iconography and psychedelic imagery, Halbert crafts an unflinching yet compassionate story about pain, rage, and the blessings we can give ourselves.

CW: 18+ only. This book deals with trauma, sexual and physical violence, mental health, drugs, and other sensitive subjects.

Silver Sprocket | Mature | 128 full-color pages | 8” x 10” hardcover | $29.99

• I do not pretend to understand Silver Sprocket books.
  • Here’s a preview.

ARCHIE ENCYCLOPEDIA SC (Archie, $19.99)

ARCHIE SHOWCASE DIGEST #10 SABRINA (Archie, $8.99)

ART OF FEEFAL HC

Whether your favorite medium is digital, traditional or a mix of both, Stockholm-based Feefal will have used it to explore her unique world of anthropomorphized figures, animals in dream-like settings and cool-girl magic. Now for the first time, Feefal has written a beautifully produced book, her work printed on high-quality paper, providing the chance to not only show what she does, but also how. Feefal shares the early influences that put her on the path to becoming the professional character designer she is today, including those of her Swedish-Japanese upbringing. With galleries of curated classics intertwined with step-by-step tutorials and fascinating insights into her creative process, Feefal's work is as intriguing as it is spellbinding.

3D Total Publishing | $50.00

• Gulp!

AUGUST PURGATORY UNDERGROUND #1

Story/Art: Benjamin W. Morse

As a long civil war ends, the once celebrated hero Captain August finds himself in the center of an intergalactic controversy. Running out of time and options, he accepts a dangerous mission to a decaying planet — and finds that the war isn't nearly over! An action-packed sci-fi thriller that remixes the nostalgia of ‘80s cartoons in a contemporary style!

Red 5 Comics | $3.95

• Were '80s cartoons really so good that their style is worth perpetuating? Maybe you had to be there. Which, I suspect, this creator was.

BEYOND THE BEYOND #4 (of 4, Scout, $5.99)

BLACK WATER LILIES HC

Story: Frederic Duval | Art/Cover: Didier Cassegrain

An ophthalmologist is found murdered in a river in Giverny. A young artist, a sexy teacher and a disillusioned old lady are the witnesses of a complex police investigation. A brilliant and luminous adaptation of the best-selling crime thriller by author Michel Bussi.

Magnetic Press | Mature | $29.99

• I like the cover art. And I'm always there for "sexy teacher"! Especially French ones! (Giverny is in France, which is probably the provenance of this GN.)

CHASING HITLER VOL 1 TP

Story: Hayley Nitz | Art:Jethro Morales | Cover: Phil Hester

As WWII draws to an end and the Allies surround Berlin, Adolf Hitler realizes that all is lost. Or is it? Two Allied servicemen are tasked with verifying Hitler's death. When they can't, the chase begins!

Red 5 Comics | $14.95

• I can't tell if this is a collection, but it might be.
  • Someone should tell these guys that if they're looking for Hitler, they should go directly to Brazil and look for Gregory Peck. Might save some time.

CIH PRESENTS FLAILING AT LOVE ONE-SHOT (Aardvark Vanaheim, $4.00)

DEMON IN THE WOOD GN

Story: Kyla Vanderklugt, Leigh Bardugo | Art: Dani Pendergast

Discover the start of a grand and sinister destiny in this must-have graphic novel prequel to the bestselling series and international Netflix sensation Shadow and Bone. Before he led Ravka's Second Army, before he created the Fold, and long before he became the Darkling, he was just a lonely boy burdened by an extraordinary power. Eryk and his mother, Lena, have spent their lives on the run. But they will never find a safe haven. They are not only Grisha — they are the deadliest and rarest of their kind. Feared by those who wish to destroy them and hunted by those who would exploit their gifts, they must hide their true abilities wherever they go. But sometimes deadly secrets have a way of revealing themselves.

Roaring Brook Press | $22.99

• The TV show actually gave me all the information I need on Gen. Kirigan's origin. (Which is vaguely Magneto-ish.) So I'm good, thanks.

DEVIL’S HIGHWAY VOL 2 #5 (of 5, AWA, Mature, $3.99)

DISCIPLE ONE-SHOT

Story: Narjes Ruyan | Art/Cover: Sergi Domenech

In the not-too-distant future, a legendary kung fu master dies under mysterious circumstances. During the funeral, his training hall is ransacked, and a lifetime of teachings stolen! Now his estranged former students must band together, to recover the secrets their teacher shared — and uncover the ones he kept hidden.

CEX Publishing | $3.99

DRAGON WHISPERER: SEARCH FOR OBSIDIAN #1 (OF 6)

Story: Alex Deluca | Art: Glen Fernandez | Cover: Blake Pierson

: As featured of Free Comic Book Day!  Soon after the events of Dragon Whisperer Volume One. Rosalinda Eberhardt - with her growing abilities — embarks on another quest for Obsidian the Dragon. This time, unlike before, they are not hunting him. They are rescuing him!

Red 5 Comics | $3.95

• This sure looks like a YA book, but I can find no confirmation of that. It’s based on a series of books that also look YA, but aren’t listed that way. Maybe I’m just tired of teen coming-of-age stories and looking for an excuse not to like it.

DRAGON WHISPERER VOL 1 TP (Red 5 Comics, $14.95)

DUNGEON EARLY YEARS VOL 3: WITHOUT A SOUND TP

By Lewis Trondheim; Joann Sfar; Stephane Oiry and Christophe Gaultier

The legend of the founding of Dungeon continues with two all-new chapters! Old Arakou, Hyacinthe's father, feels rusty and mopes at the idea of dying in his bed. He never ceases to remember the old heroic days and his pals he wants to connect back with. So, he mounts his faithful steed, much to the chagrin of Alexandra who, worried for him, accompanies him on this crazy ride. Meanwhile, in the ruins of Antipolis, Comor and a handful of lords are preparing to take back power ...

The second story presents the arrival of young Marvin to the Dungeon, ready to become its most faithful protector. The city of Antipolis destroyed, his father dead, Hyacinthe de Cavallère finds himself alone to fight against the threats of the attackers eager to appropriate the Dungeon. The duchies of Clérembard and Vaucanson are determined to enlarge their territories. ... Prospects for the Dungeon look dire but as the two forces attack, they are not expecting the fierce opposition awaiting them in so many forms, including that of the most powerful of the warriors in the making: Marvin the Saurian.

NBM | 8 ½ x 11" | 96 pages | FC TPB | $15.99

EDGAR ALLAN POE'S SNIFTER OF DEATH TP

Story: Various, Dean R. Motter, Tom Peyer, Holly Interlandi, Mark Russell | Art: Frank Cammuso, Peter Sneibjerg, VARIOUS | Art/Cover: Richard Williams

BEWARE: The creepy monsters on your cereal box! A spine-tingling senator/werewolf! A scary chess-playing robot! Death himself! Plus many more humor-tinged fright fables, all narrated by the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe at his very saddest and drunkest!

Ahoy | Mature | $17.99

• Heads up, Ahoy fans!

EGGED ONE-SHOT

Story: Nick Palmieri | Art: George Kambadais | Cover: Lane Lloyd

Maria's quiet suburban life is upended after she accidentally eggs the car of a conspiracy theorist. Now this cunning and relentless adversary threatens to expose her long-hidden secrets! Thrills abound in this satirical one-shot from writer Nick Palmieri and artist George Kambadais (Buckhead, Short Order Crooks, The Black Ghost)!

CEX | $3.99

END AFTER END #2 (Vault, $4.99)

FLORIDA MAN #3

Story: Mike Baron | Art: Marcelo Salaza | Cover: Joe Comstock

After her assault on deputies with a marital aid goes viral, Gary's gal Krystal is thrust into a new career as a wrestler! Now she faces a greater foe than any drunk grizzly ... an Australian grappler named "Rock Lobster". Will Gary's latest get rich scheme bring him fame and fortune, or land Gary back in jail? And whatever happened with his pal Patrice, the transgender sex-worker? Florida Man's outrageous, scandalous and hilarious adventures continue in the new hit comedy comic from Eisner winner Mike Baron!  Florida Man #3 is available with two covers: Main by Joe Comstock and Variant by Matthew Weldon. 

"Florida Man is like a rollercoaster ... incredibly light-hearted, and fun!" — Micah Sivad, Bleeding Fool 

American Mythology | $3.99

• The existence of this book makes me happy.

FRANKENROCKER AND JAILBAIT PUNKS #3 (of 4, Bad Kids Press, $4.99)

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #64 (Zenescope, $3.99)

HEART EYES #2 (Vault, $4.99)

HELL IS A SQUARED CIRCLE ONE-SHOT

Story: Chris Condon | Art: Francesco Biagini | Cover: Jacob Phillips

Is Wrestling Noir a genre? It is now!

Ted "The Irish Mooska" Walsh is a third-tier wrestling heel with a problem — himself. He's behind on rent, child support and his career, but he thinks he can change things. As he attempts to take control of his life, his actions leave him with blood on his hands. Ted finds himself on the run from the authorities and the darkness of his past. As Ted tries to escape his former self and build a new, better future, his mistakes come back to haunt him — in the ring and out of it.

HELL IS A SQUARED CIRCLE is a 48-page Prestige Format ONE SHOCK from Writer Chris Condon (That Texas Blood) and illustrated by Francesco Biagini (Dingo, 18 Days). Don't miss out on this body slam to hell from such an electrifying creative team.

Aftershock | Mature | $7.99

• I used to joke about looking forward to the day when there would be wrestling comics, because I wanted there to be books that didn't interest me. I joke no more!

HELLWITCH VS LADY DEATH WARGASM #1 (of 2, Coffin, $5.99)

HUMAN REMAINS COMPLETE SERIES TP (Vault, $19.99)

JOHN CARPENTER’S TALES OF SCI-FI: INTERFERENCE PATTERN #3 (Storm King, Mature, $3.99)

THE KEEPER GN

Story: Tananarive Due, Steven Barnes | Art: Marco Finnegan

Aisha's parents were killed in a car crash, and now she must move to decrepit and derelict Detroit to live with her ailing grandmother. Shortly after moving in, Aisha's grandmother's health rapidly deteriorates. With her dying breath, she summons the dark spirit that has protected their family for generations to watch over Aisha. At first it seems that this spirit, whom Aisha refers to as the Keeper, is truly doing as her grandmother asked, caring for Aisha and keeping her safe; however, it soon becomes clear that this being can only sustain itself by stealing life from others. As the Keeper begins to prey on the apartment building's other residents, Aisha and her friends must come together to destroy it — or die trying.

Abrams | $24.99

• If I had this dark spirit, I'd just go to Ukraine, point to the Russian lines, and say "Go to it, dawg."

KING WARRIOR GN

Story: Jay Bulckaert, Erika Nyyssonen | Art/Cover: Lucas Green

A family story with a fantasy appeal — a father working as a taxi driver in Yellowknife, the far north of the north, keeps the connection to his son back in Somalia alive with a fantasy story he tells featuring Somali, North American and Inuit elements. Then, his real life becomes more dramatic than the tale he's telling.

Renegade | $14.99

LOST GARDENS #1

Story: James Babineau | Art: Caius Schereiner | Cover: Debora Lancianese

Set in a world that indulges in a false luxury brought to you by the Etheon Corporation, a meek employee of the Ministry of Parts, Shawn Myers' life will be turned upside down by a defect in his technology implants which will send him spiraling downward by the economic forces to be. How will he escape while the life he built around him crumbles?

Rabbit Hole Productions | Mature | $4.99

MAN GOAT & BUNNYMAN GREEN EGGS & BLAM #3 (Zenescope, $5.99)

MECHANIX #3 (Source Point, $3.99)

MEGA RISE OF BLACK SWAN #1

Story/Art: Salvador Sanz

Eons ago, the Ancient Ones won the war against the Jackals and managed to incarcerate them in the depths of our planet. Humankind and all life on Earth arose and evolved on the surface of a massive inner prison. Now, the Primordial Jackals are awakening one by one, and only Mega stands in their way to re-emerge from the darkness. After the success of the first miniseries, Salvador Sanz delivers a new chapter in the epic Mega saga.

Red 5 Comics | $7.99

MYTHOLOGY CLASS PHILIPPINE LEGENDS BECOME REALITY GN

Story/Art: Arnold Arre

This Philippine National Book Award-winning graphic novel fuses Philippine myth and magic with contemporary action. Borrowing elements from The Lord of the Rings and The Phantom Tollbooth, author and creator Arnold Arre reinvents age-old Filipino fables, constructing a rich world of folklore fantasy for a new generation. When Nicole Lacson, an Anthropology student at the University of the Philippines, is summoned to a secret meeting by the mysterious Madame Enkanta, she finds herself face-to-face with living creatures from Philippine mythology and folklore that she never imagined existed in real life! Tikblangs, kapres, and a range of engkantos figures from her grandfather's bedtime storiesher previous notions of reality.

Tuttle Publishing | $18.99

• I'm not going to drop $19 on this, but it does sound like I'd learn a lot.

NAUGHTY LIST TP (Aftershock, $17.99)

NEWTHINK #4 (of 5, AWA, Mature, $3.99)

NOA NOT OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED #2 (Source Point Press, Mature, $3.99)

OBLIVION TRIALS #4 (of 4, Source Point Press, Mature, $3.99)

OVER MY DEAD BODY GN

Story/Art: Sweeney Boo

Another school year begins at the Younwity Hidden Institute of Witchcraft, and Abigail knows that this is the year she needs to buckle down, grow up and start taking her studies seriously. But everything is thrown off course when her mentee, Noreen, goes missing. Abby's classmates are quick to put Noreen's disappearance behind them — the Coven will find her, they say. They have it under control. But Abby can't let it go, and her search for answers leads her down a rabbit hole that uncovers more secrets than she can handle. As the mounting evidence steers her toward the off-limits woods that surround the academy, Abby begins to see that Noreen's disappearance has a lot in common with another girl who went missing, all those years ago.

Harper Alley | $17.99

• I vote to let the coven handle it. If witchcraft can't solve a simple missing-persons case, what good is it?

PARKER GIRLS #2

Story/Art: Terry Moore

Once you're in there's only one way out of the Parker Girls. So when Tambi calls, Katchoo has no choice but to go back to work, using her special talents to help bring down a billionaire's empire... one scandal at a time! Don't miss this exciting new series from the creator of Strangers In Paradise!

Abstract Studios | $3.99

• Heads up, Terry Moore fans!

PENTAGRAM OF HORROR #5 (Black Caravan, $5.99)

PINK LEMONADE #1

Story/Art: Nick Cagnetti

"Breakout indy comics sensation Nick Cagnetti's sleeper hit comes to Oni Press! A new hero on the scene, Pink Lemonade dreams of doing big things, but ultimately, she'll settle for doing good and helping where she can. Things don't always work out as planned, as Pink Lemonade sees when she accidentally crashes the set of the next Rex Radical blockbuster movie. While trying to do her hero thing, there's a misunderstanding with some cops — and just when you think she's sunk, she gets an offer she may not be able to refuse! But ... is it too good to be true?

Meet the heroine with a mysterious past, colorful costume, altruistic outlook, a zippy motorcycle and an overactive imagination — it's all pretty cool! "

Oni Press | $3.99

PROMETHEE 1313 #3 (Ablaze, $3.99)

PROMETHEITE GN

Story/Art: Ari Mulch

Prometheite reimagines Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as a lesbian romantic tragedy. Two young women, Aveline and Violet, meet at the University of Ingolstadt and quickly bond over their interest in anatomy, the occult, and one another. But, before their love can fully bloom, Aveline dies. Violet resorts to dark sciences to keep the forbidden romance alive and resurrects Aveline. But all is not well. Aveline suspects something unnatural about her life as Violet struggles to keep the resurrection a secret. Will toying with the forces of nature doom their forbidden relationship?

Uncivilized Books | Mature | $19.95

• My first thought when reading Frankenstein was "Obviously, this is a metaphor for forbidden love."
  • Seriously, Dracula's a better fit. Frankenstein is more of a Daddy issues thing.

REDMAN #4 (OF 5) (Sumerian Comics, $3.99)

ROUGAROU ONE-SHOT

Story: Giles Clarke | Art: Jose Rondon

After a young girl is attacked by a mysterious creature on a homestead ranch in 1868, a U.S. Marshal arrives the next day and recounts the tale of the Rougarou, a beast that he has been hunting across the country but has always been one step behind.

Uncharted Wilderness Studios | $3.99

• Do you supposed the Marshal himself is the Rougarou? Naw, that’d be too obvious.

SHADOW SERVICE #15 (Vault, $4.99)

SICK N TWISTED #1

Story: Joseph M. Monks | Art: Will Pleydon, Jason Moser | Cover: Andrew Mangum

Cry For Dawn co-creator Joseph M. Monks returns to his splatterpunk roots with a brand new title. 3 stories, 32 pages, and the extreme edge he's known for. Zombie-killer Gory Lori returns in a tale illustrated by Will Pleydon, while in "Dead C," illustrated by Jason Moser, New York buddies looking for something unusual find it — thanks to an underground newspaper devoted to showing off the city's seedy underbelly. Cover by Andrew Mangum, back cover by Mike Koneful.

Fright Unseen | Mature | $3.95

• You know what I think about when I see all these Number Ones every week? How few Number Twos I see.

STREET FGHTERS MASTERS: CHUN LI #1 ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Ryan Kinnaird | Covers: Genzoman, Ryan Kinnaird, Panzer, Reiq  | UDON | $4.99/$20.00

The strongest woman in the world is back in action in a brand new, one-shot!

Interpol Officer Chun-Li travels to her birthplace of China, determined to put an end to a new Shadaloo scheme. This is UDON's first new regular Street Fighter comic book since 2019, and is not to be missed!

STUD & THE BLOODBLADE TP (CEX Publishing | $19.99)

SUPER SUCKERS #2 (Binge Books, $3.99)

TALL TALES OF MIDGARD VOL 1: SHADOW OF THE BOUND ONE HC

Story/Art: Bjork Matias Friis

The Baltic Sea, AD. 867

Root is a thrall on the island of Bornholm, sold into slavery with no recollection of his former life. He's also a very unpopular thrall. He's slept with his master's favorite servant girl and as a result, he's sent out to guard the sheep from a mysterious creature that's left livestock dead all over the island.

But Root's fate is about to change — as two trolls, servants of the mischievous Loki, have come to Bornholm in search of the creature and Root's going to help them, whether he wants to or not.

Both gods and jotuns have long meddled in the affairs of men and Root soon finds himself irreversibly entangled in Loki's shadowy plots.

Source Point Press | $19.99

• It's occurred to me before that the Eddas tell us all about the Norse gods, but rarely are there stories about how their adventures impact on the ordinary mortals around them. I imagine it was usually fatal! So I'm glad to see someone addressing that.

THREE STOOGES PLAY BALL SPECIAL #1 (American Mythology | $3.99)

TOKYO ROSE ZERO HOUR GN

Story: Andre R Frattino | Art: Kate Kasenow

Traitor or hero? Discover the truth behind the legendary Tokyo Rose. Tokyo Rose: Zero Hour tells the true story of Iva Toguri, a Japanese American woman who was visiting her relatives in Tokyo shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Trapped in Japan, Iva refused to renounce her American citizenship. But she was forced to take a job with Radio Tokyo to host "Zero Hour," a propaganda broadcast aimed at demoralizing American troops — the role of the infamous Tokyo Rose, "The Siren of the Pacific."

Tuttle Publishing | Mature | $16.99

• "Traitor or hero?" Oh, come on! Look, even if Toguri was forced to air anti-American propaganda — and we only have her word for that — that doesn't make her a hero. Maybe a victim, but by no means a hero. At best I might feel sorry for her. But I'm not gonna throw a parade.

TRAPPED ON ZARKASS

Story: Yaan | Art/Cover: Didier Cassegrain

It is the third millennium, and gender definitions are gone, references practically banned. Larry and Marcel are two Earth agents sent to the lush and threatening jungles of the planet Zarkass forced to collaborate for an ultra-secret mission. Their official cover is to study the fauna, flora and the unique customs of the native Zarkassian people. But really they are there to find and examine the mysterious wreckage of an alien vessel that has the government concerned. But the two young agents start to suspect that each of them might be hiding the real reasons for their presence on Zarkass ... reasons that are much more personal.

Magnetic Press | Mature | $29.99

TRISKELE #4 (Scout, $4.99)

TURBO KID: SKELETRON UNLEASHED #1

Story: Anouk Whissell, Yoann-Karl Whissell, Francois Simard | Art/Cover: Jeik Dion

The origin story of Skeletron the villain from the cult movie Turbo Kid now distributed on Amazon Prime with a sequel film and a video game in development. With this double size one-shot written by the directors & drawn by the storyboard artist of the original film, follows the gory path to hell of the man behind the mask of Zeus' first mate, this bloodthirsty beast convinced of being a robot.

Sumerian Comics | Mature | $5.99

• For the record, Sumerian Comics used to be Behemoth Comics.

VAMPIRE VERSES LTD ED #1 (OF 12)

Story/Art: Frank Forte

This debut issue introduces Angelika, an exotic dancer in the NYC club scene who is unwittingly turned into a creature of the night. As she tries to make sense of what she has become she learns of a bloody Vampire War that is being fought in the streets and subway tunnels of New York City. Slowly the truth unfolds as Angelika begins to realize she is a key part of an ancient scrolled prophecy known as The Vampire Verses. Limited to 1000 copies. Original first printing. Signed by Frank Forte in gold ink. This issue come bagged and boarded with COA.

Asylum Press | Mature | $9.99

VOX ONE-SHOT

Story: Jai | Art: Alexandria Huntington | Cover: Dexter Wee

Can knowledge lead to salvation? Vox explores a colorful society teetering on the brink of annihilation and asks: Can anyone resist succumbing to the voice of truth? Creators Jai and Alexandria Huntington delve into extremism and fanaticism through the lens of philosophical satire in this 32-page one-shot.

CEX Publishing | Mature | $4.99

WORLD WAR 3 BATTLE OVER HOKKAIDO TP(Antarctic Press, $19.99)

Z PEOPLE #1

Story: Darin Henry | Art/Cover: Tom Richmond

Just in time for Halloween, The Walking Dead meets Gilligan's Island in this hilarious zom-com about what happens after a virus leaves 6 uninfected people trapped in quarantine with 3 million zombies! Darin Henry (Seinfeld) and Tom Richmond (MAD Magazine) bring you a story that tickles your funny bone as it chomps on your brain! Then, tour The Morbid Museum as legendary artist Al Milgrom (Avengers) draws a dark comedy from horror host Barbra Macabre, whose rhyming narration melds Stephen King with Dr. Seuss! 68 pages for only $3.99!

Binge Books | $3.99

MORE MANGA

7TH TIME LOOP CAREFREE LIFE GN VOL 01

86 EIGHTY SIX GN VOL 03

ANGELS OF DEATH EPISODE 0 GN VOL 04

ASSASSIN’S CREED: DYNASTY VOL 4 GN

BOOTY ROYALE NEVER GO DOWN WITHOUT FIGHT OMNIBUS GN VOL

CASE FILES OF JEWELER RICHARD GN VOL 03 CATS & SUGAR BOWLS GN

CHAINED SOLDIER GN VOL 02

CHINESE FANTASY DRAGON KINGS DAUGHTER GN VOL 01

CROSSPLAY LOVE OTAKU X PUNK GN VOL 01

DELICIOUS IN DUNGEON GN VOL 11

DESIRE PANDORA GN VOL 03

DINOSAUR SANCTUARY GN VOL 01

EDENS ZERO GN VOL 18

FIANCEE CHOSEN BY RING GN VOL 02

FIST OF THE NORTH STAR HC VOL 06

GIGANT GN VOL 09

HEROIC LEGEND OF ARSLAN GN VOL 16

HITOMI CHAN IS SHY WITH STRANGERS GN VOL 05

I WILL FORGET THIS FEELING SOMEDAY SC NOVEL VOL 01

IM IN LOVE WITH VILLAINESS GN VOL 03

IS WRONG PICK UP GIRLS DUNGEON SWORD ORATORIA GN VOL 18

KIRURU KILL ME GN VOL 03

LAZY DUNGEON MASTER GN VOL 01

LEGEND OF DORORO & HYAKKIMARU GN VOL 05

LOVE IS AN ILLUSION GN VOL 01

MISS MIYAZEN WOULD LOVE TO GET CLOSER TO YOU GN VOL 01

MUSHOKU TENSEI JOBLESS REINCARNATION GN VOL 15

NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY FURI SAN IS SCARY GN VOL 04

ORE MIKO GN

SKELETON KNIGHT IN ANOTHER WORLD GN VOL 09

SO IM A SPIDER SO WHAT KUMOKO SISTERS GN VOL 04

SONG OF YORU & ASA ENCORE GN

SUGAR APPLE FAIRY GN VOL 01

THUS SPOKE ROHAN KISHIBE GN VOL 01

TOILET BOUND HANAKO KUN GN VOL 16

TSUBAKI-CHOU LONLEY PLANET GN VOL 01

UNNAMED MEMORY GN VOL 01

WITCH AND BEAST GN VOL 09

YOWAMUSHI PEDAL GN VOL 21

MORE KIDS

BIG ADV BABYMOUSE GN VOL 01 ONCE UPON MESSY WHISKER

COSMIC ADV OF ASTRID & STELLA GN

CREEPOVER GN VOL 01 TRUTH OR DARE

CREEPOVER HC GN VOL 02 YOU CANT COME IN HERE

CRUNCH GN

ENEMIES GN

FLAMINGO YR HC GN

GHOSTER HEIGHTS GN

GRUMPY MONKEY: WHO THREW THAT?

INVESTIGATORS GN VOL 06 HEIST AND SEEK

KNIGHTS OF THE FIFTH DIMENSION #4 (OF 4)

MAGIC TREE HOUSE GN STARTER SET

MAGIC TREE HOUSE GN VOL 04 PIRATES PAST NOON

MUHAMMAD NAJEM WAR REPORTER GN

SPEAK UP GN

SQUAD UP GN

STEALING OZ #3 (OF 4)

TALES OF A SEVENTH GRADE LIZARD BOY GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Homage alert!

10828198860?profile=RESIZE_710x

90385874168.30.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

84605058696.82.jpg

Did you forget something Tony? Going into battle without a helmet seems reckless. Has he been drinking again?

10560665467?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I used to joke about looking forward to the day when there would be wrestling comics, because I wanted there to be books that didn't interest me. I joke no more!

AWA did a series this year called Crimson Cage, which was a re-imagining of Macbeth but in the 80s wrestling scene. It was actually pretty good.

• For the record, Sumerian Comics used to be Behemoth Comics.

And I just found out a few weeks ago that Behemoth Comics is in Richardson, TX a suburb of Dallas.

• And I just found out a few weeks ago that Behemoth Comics is in Richardson, TX a suburb of Dallas.

Drop by and ask them why they changed their name!

AWA did a series this year called Crimson Cage, which was a re-imagining of Macbeth but in the 80s wrestling scene. It was actually pretty good.

I actually have no bias against wrestling comics. But back in the day, let's say the '70s and '80s, virtually all comics were ones I wanted to read. It seemed like the whole industry was directly aimed at my tastes. Not only did this encourage me to overspend every week, but I knew that wasn't healthy. There just aren't enough people like me to support a whole industry. So my line was "We need more comics that I don't want. We need tons of comics NOT aimed at me."

And lo, now there are tons of comics not aimed at me, and that's good. And there are plenty on the cusp, like wrestling comics, that I may or may not like, and that's good, too.

• Cap said:

I actually have no bias against wrestling comics. But back in the day, let's say the '70s and '80s, virtually all comics were ones I wanted to read. It seemed like the whole industry was directly aimed at my tastes. Not only did this encourage me to overspend every week, but I knew that wasn't healthy. There just aren't enough people like me to support a whole industry. So my line was "We need more comics that I don't want. We need tons of comics NOT aimed at me."
    And lo, now there are tons of comics not aimed at me, and that's good. And there are plenty on the cusp, like wrestling comics, that I may or may not like, and that's good, too.

Totally agree, Cap! I really enjoy the wide selection we have now, since my tastes have changed. A lot of the comics not aimed at me these days are superhero comics. I just don't have the same interest I did earlier. I doubt I will fully get a way from them, but it is a lot less than it has been. That being said, I doubt even 10 years ago I would have read a wrestling comic.

• Note to wrestling comics fans: this week's Florida Man #3 (see above) is structured around a wrestling theme: "After her assault on deputies with a marital aid goes viral, Gary's gal Krystal is thrust into a new career as a wrestler! Now she faces a greater foe than any drunk grizzly... an Australian grappler named 'Rock Lobster'."

• First generation Valiant Comics had a WWF line of comics back in the 1990s, did it not?

• I don't recall, but the Ultimate Warrior definitely had his own comic.

Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas said:

First generation Valiant Comics had a WWF line of comics back in the 1990s, did it not?

• Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

I really enjoy the wide selection we have now, since my tastes have changed.

Mine, too. I still like superhero comics, but I want them to have a little more bite, and I find I have no interest in the "illusion of change" in the monthlies any more.  My superhero tastes these days slant toward Marvel's "events" and DC's Black Label (because I get to re-visit old friends and the stories are close-ended).

Ditto in other genres. Take jungle stories: I love reading old Tarzan and Phantom stories (and putting myself in the mindset of a young white kid reading them in the early 20th century), but I don't want new stories with the same status quo -- it just doesn't work any more. Heck, Mowgli is so dated he has to be regarded as strange period piece for white people. (Still beautifully written, though.)

Sword & Sorcery? High Fantasy? Crime Noir? I still read all these genres, but I don't read the same material I did when I was younger, or have the same attitudes about them. I mean, I still love The Shadow intellectually, but I don't re-read the original books any more -- I read Ed Brubaker stories.

And so forth. I can go through my favorites from younger years one by one and remember why I enjoyed them -- and at the same time understand why they don't work in the modern world or don't work for me personally any more. I won't bore you by doing so. The upshot is that I really no longer follow anything slavishly any more.

But I still love comics.

And I still like to talk about 'em. That hasn't changed at all.

This reply was deleted.