Continuum on SyFy

Anybody watching Continuum? I recently got hooked after a marathon viewing session. Bought Season 1 on Blu-ray and then downloaded the rest. Initially, I decided to give it a shot because I liked Rachel Nichols in Alias and I'm a sucker for time travel. Season 1 was pretty rough with a lot of contrived plotting but there were some interesting ideas underneath that kept me coming back. I thought Season 2 was a marked improvement with a good number of very solid episodes. Haven't watched any of Season 3 yet (apparently it premiers tonight.) I like the basic idea of a future where the corporations had to bail out the government. Puts an interesting spin on current events and keeps you guessing about who you should be rooting for.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've been watching and even reviewing it-- though in Canada, which is already a few episodes into season three. I'm finding it's growing a little wearisome (and, as you say, it was always a bit rough) when set against so many other SF/Fantasy shows, but it definitely raises some interesting questions, and goes in unexpected directions.

I just don't know if I'll have the time and energy once Mad Men and Orphan Black get back on the air (no, the first isn't SF/Fantasy, though watching it is a kind of time-traveling). At that point, I may just wait until I can see whole seasons.

• I watched it for awhile; I probably saw most of the first season. Then it dropped below my radar for some reason, probably scheduling. I see that Netflix has two seasons, so I'll have to get back to it there. I'm at home with Dish Network tonight, so I could watch the season premier. Do you think it will make sense if I missed most of Season Two?

• Not sure but there are quite a few big developments that occur over the course of Season 2. This is definitely one of those shows that has a mythology that runs through all the episodes so there is an accumulation of continuity.
  • Playing a little bit of catch-up, I just watched the first four episodes of season 3. The show has really gone down the rabbit hole in short order. What started as a police procedural with some sci-fi elements has now evolved into full blown time paradox mode with alternate timelines multiple versions of characters and shifting alliances. I'm actually pleased that they are heading into a more challenging direction although the show still suffers from some weak plotting and occasional cringe-worthy dialogue. Overall, though I would say season 3 seems to be an improvement over season 2.
  • I've seen most of the season 3 episodes, I think, including last week's (which they rebroadcast over the weekend). I am enjoying the shifting alliances aspect: it's usually fun to be surprised by characters you thought you knew. The time paradox plot device can be trying, as it always is. It's the old "anything can happen, so nothing matters" problem. But it hasn't completely crossed that line for me.

• Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I've seen most of the season 3 episodes, I think, including last week's (which they rebroadcast over the weekend). I am enjoying the shifting alliances aspect: it's usually fun to be surprised by characters you thought you knew. The time paradox plot device can be trying, as it always is. It's the old "anything can happen, so nothing matters" problem. But it hasn't completely crossed that line for me.

Yes, I like the fact that the show is designed so that you identify with Nichols' character who seems to have integrity but is also working to preserve a system that is corrupt. At the same time you have Liber8 who seem to lack integrity but are trying to destroy the corrupt system. Then, just when you think you've got one of these characters figured out, they give us a flashback from that character's earlier life which sheds new light on their motivations.

I think the show has achieved a nice balance in drawing just the right amount of reference from current events without really taking a side.

This reply was deleted.