“Where am I? How did I get here?”

Those are Superman’s first thoughts from the beginning of Convergence #0. Those thoughts pretty much echo my own regarding the post-Flashpoint DCU. I’ve been left cold by crossovers before, but never have I been so completely turned off by a direction than I have by DC’s “New 52” (or “DCnU” if you prefer). At the end of the “zero” issue I was mildly surprised to discover there are a few universes I’m wholly unfamiliar. But I’ve been reading the advance solicitations, and while I find myself interested in a few of the “Pre-Flashpoint” and “Zero Hour” crossovers, I am interested in virtually all of the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossovers. (Of course, at least some effort (doomed as it may be) will have to be made to make them look like 1980s-era comics.)

Convergence proper starts today.

Let’s use this thread to discuss the main series and all the crossovers, shall we?

Views: 3138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DC has me confused. I followed Booster pre New52 and did think they may use Booster to trigger a return or revamp again - only to see no sign of him...
Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I haven't really gotten around to reading too much of Convergence. I'm just a tad bit behind, I know. I bought many of the first issues, but far fewer of the second issues. This morning I did read Convergence: Booster Gold #2.

I just won an auction for all the Convergence series (89 books) for about $1.25 each. I had read a few of the mini, but through this thread, I figure I got my monies worth.

That's pretty cheap! Good deal!

Yes, it is... but it is still well over a hundred bucks for what is basically a launching pad.  Comics sure got expensive.

But is it a launching pad, or just a one time deal?

Remember the Hulk storyline that ran about three years, brought back Betty Ross as "Mr." Blue, had lots of Hulk clones, and ended without explaining what the heck the villain really wanted or even who he was? That was over a hundred bucks if you bought them all and you didn't get a complete story and ended up wondering what was going on.

It's only the spine that could really be considered a launching pad. All the rest are complete two-part stories that tie into it, but are satisfying on their own. They're not launching anything, they're revisiting past heroes & situations.

This morning I read Convergence: The Question #1. I like this one because, like Booster Gold, it's actually written and drawn by people who worked on the source material. Greg Rucka and Cully Hamner did this one, and it was pretty good. The relationship between the era's Renee Montoya and Two-Face is one I never really understood, at least not on the part of Renee. I think I've read all of the issues that have addressed this relationship, but I have never understood it from her side. Anyway, we get some Huntress and even a page of Batwoman written by Greg Rucka, and we all know how much he loves to write women. This love comes across pretty nicely in this issue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service