“Where am I? How did I get here?”

Those are Superman’s first thoughts from the beginning of Convergence #0. Those thoughts pretty much echo my own regarding the post-Flashpoint DCU. I’ve been left cold by crossovers before, but never have I been so completely turned off by a direction than I have by DC’s “New 52” (or “DCnU” if you prefer). At the end of the “zero” issue I was mildly surprised to discover there are a few universes I’m wholly unfamiliar. But I’ve been reading the advance solicitations, and while I find myself interested in a few of the “Pre-Flashpoint” and “Zero Hour” crossovers, I am interested in virtually all of the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossovers. (Of course, at least some effort (doomed as it may be) will have to be made to make them look like 1980s-era comics.)

Convergence proper starts today.

Let’s use this thread to discuss the main series and all the crossovers, shall we?

Views: 3156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, you're right -- Firehawk is a she. I confused her with Rampage, as they both have pink/purple hair. I have made fixes based on your corrections. Thanks!

This sounds very poorly thought out. The worst Justice League. Did Supergirl travel to the future to pick up modern sayings.

Earth-1 Superman and Earth-1 Superboy are somehow in different bottles?

Sorry you're not impressed with the books you're not reading.

The Justice League issue was a blast. It was good to see them again.

CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1

One more thing: Once again the Dome acts weirdly; Colossal Boy says he was stuck at 12 feet during the year of no powers. Shades of Hank Pym! Wouldn't he have just reverted to his human size?

Didn't most of the Legion of Super-Heroes have natural-born powers which they should have retained?

During one of the too-many LSH reboots, a version of Colossal Boy was established as a giant in his normal state, who actually had the power to shrink down to human size.  That may have been him, or not...

I a wild burst of... I don't know, "enthusiam," I guess... ("nostalgia"? "optimism"?)... I bought all of this week's crossovers/spin-offs. Haven't read any of them yet, but I'll report back here (probably early next week) when I do.

That version of Colossal Boy was in the Waid era, Dave -- I haven't read the Legion Convergence book yet, but I think it features a different Legion.

I haven't read it either, hence the vagueness of my comment--just because there was one Colossal Boy who'd be stuck at giant size if he lost his power doesn't mean that was the particular one in that story.  Altho I'd swear that the Waid CB was taller than 12 feet in his normal size.

This morning read Convergence #3. It's getting a little bit better. There was more action as the story progresses more.
From Week 2 I read Superboy and Green Arrow. Both were decent but I didn't enjoy them as much as the tie ins from Week 1. Week 1 seemed to do a better job of fleshing out the leads and then getting to the main conflict. So far these two issues from week 2 took a while to build the story and then we get the main conflict towards the very end. Part of it may be is that I'm more familiar with the Pre-flashpoint DCU than the Pre-Zero hour DCU.

DC sent me the Week 2 books too late to review, but from what I remember, my main takeaway was that it reminded me how terrible most comics, even most DC Comics, were in the early 1990s. Parallax? Jean-Paul Valley Batman? Matrix Supergirl? Bleah.

I did like the meeting of the Bats in Convergence #2. No fighting, no misunderstandings -- they recognized each other, and had a quiet, intimate talk to which we were not privy. Well done.

That scene between the Bats in issue two was great. One of the best moments so far in the whole series.

Captain Comics said:

DC sent me the Week 2 books too late to review, but from what I remember, my main takeaway was that it reminded me how terrible most comics, even most DC Comics, were in the early 1990s. Parallax? Jean-Paul Valley Batman? Matrix Supergirl? Bleah.

I did like the meeting of the Bats in Convergence #2. No fighting, no misunderstandings -- they recognized each other, and had a quiet, intimate talk to which we were not privy. Well done.

Am I correct that the Flashpoint Batman and the Earth-2 Batman are very similar? Both are Thomas Wayne, both wear black-and-red ensembles. But Flashpoint Batman doesn't use Miraclo, does he? I'm trying to remember how he managed to be a crimefighter in his 40s and 50s and am coming up blank.

There are a couple of lines in Convergence #2 where I think the writer got them mixed up. It was Flashpoint Batman who had a fixation on the Bruce of parallel worlds, not Earth-2 Batman, who wasn't aware of parallel worlds (that I know of) until Convergence #1. Maybe Thomas could guess that Batman on another world could be Bruce instead of him, but that's not a very logical extrapolation from his position. He seemed a bit too certain that the Batman of another Gotham could be Bruce, and that says "Flashpoint Batman" to me.

Does that concur with the memories of you Legionnaires? I confess I haven't made a thorough study of this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service