Catching up on Teen Titans Go! on the On Demand channel today, I was able to see the end credits full size for a change. It's a fun show and I was surprised to see that they kept the same voice cast from the first series! It's great to see the "innocent" Starfire again and a non-angst driven Cyborg! Boo-YaH!

Back to the credits, they list Marv Wolfman & George Perez as the creators of Cyborg, Starfire and Raven and Arnold Drake as the creator of Beast Boy. But there's no listing for Robin. I guess the "Created by Bob Kane" provision only counts for Batman. Would it really be terrible for DC to see a "Robin created by Bob Kane, Bill Finger and/or Jerry Robinson" byline after all this time?

Beyond the prerequisite "Jerry Siegel & Joe Schuster", "Bob Kane" and "William Marston" credits, I've also seen "Aquaman created by Paul Norris". Has anyone seen any other DC credits out there?

Views: 496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Give it time, Philip....  I've heard that the NEXT Avengers movie may feature them...

Philip Portelli said:

Perhaps, and let me stress that I have no proof or facts on this, while Jack Kirby's status as "creator/co-creator" is  absolute for Captain America and the Hulk (and Nick Fury though I will grant that Kirby didn't create Samuel L. Jackson), the same can't said for Iron Man, Hawkeye and the Black Widow who add Larry Lieber and Don Heck into the mix.

Also Jack only interpreted Thor and Loki, and even that interpretation was considerably altered.

It would have been far more "Kirby-centric" had the movie included Ant-Man/Giant-Man, the Wasp, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch and had Kang the Conqueror as the villain!

Figs, I see what you mean. These three Marvel-produced movies have the following credits

(IN SMALL PRINT AMONG THE TECHNICAL CREDITS):

CAPTAIN AMERICA
"Based on the Marvel Comic by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby"

THOR
"Based on the Marvel Comic by
Stan Lee   Larry Lieber   Jack Kirby"

IRON MAN (I)
"Based on the Marvel Comic by
Stan Lee   Don Heck   Larry Lieber   Jack Kirby"

They seem to go out of their way to list Kirby last.

The Simon and Kirby credit is always given that way, and I think Captain America probably was Simon's idea in the first place. The Lee/Lieber/Kirby credit follows how their "Thor" stories were credited in the comics (plot Lee, script Lieber, art Kirby). The third one is the surprise, as by the same rule I would expected Lieber to have been listed before Heck. It seems reasonable that Kirby should be listed last, though, as he didn't write or draw Iron Man's debut story. (He pencilled the issue's cover, and so may have designed Iron Man's original armour.) He did pencil his next two appearances (and his fifth).

My recollection is the credits of the Silver Surfer cartoon reportedly said "created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee", reflecting the fact that Kirby created the character when drawing the first part of the Galactus story.

I watched LEGO Batman: DC Super-Heroes Unite with my nephew and niece and I paid close attention to the end credits. Of course, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman got their "created by" tagline as did Cyborg. The most recent Bat-Villains featured, Bane and Harley Quinn, also had them. Yet no creator credits for The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, the Riddler or Poison Ivy. Nor did Lex Luthor, the Flash or Green Lantern receive any as did Robin, of course.

Yet, the Martian Manhunter DID!! His creators, Joe Samachson and Joe Certa were duly noted! Any idea why these gentleman got their just due?

It's interesting wording, though. They avoided using the phrase "created by".

Luke Blanchard said:

The Simon and Kirby credit is always given that way, and I think Captain America probably was Simon's idea in the first place. The Lee/Lieber/Kirby credit follows how their "Thor" stories were credited in the comics (plot Lee, script Lieber, art Kirby). The third one is the surprise, as by the same rule I would expected Lieber to have been listed before Heck. It seems reasonable that Kirby should be listed last, though, as he didn't write or draw Iron Man's debut story. (He pencilled the issue's cover, and so may have designed Iron Man's original armour.) He did pencil his next two appearances (and his fifth).

That's all interesting.  You can see the rough shape of how the matter rests with DC these days from that kind of analysis.

You can see the outline of their fears as a corporation.

Bill Finger gets nothing, but Samachson and Certa  (?!?) get a wee shout-out.  That Finger deserves nothing, is DCs position.

Philip Portelli said:

I watched LEGO Batman: DC Super-Heroes Unite with my nephew and niece and I paid close attention to the end credits. Of course, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman got their "created by" tagline as did Cyborg. The most recent Bat-Villains featured, Bane and Harley Quinn, also had them. Yet no creator credits for The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, the Riddler or Poison Ivy. Nor did Lex Luthor, the Flash or Green Lantern receive any as did Robin, of course.

Yet, the Martian Manhunter DID!! His creators, Joe Samachson and Joe Certa were duly noted! Any idea why these gentleman got their just due?

I was watching some episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold: Complete Season Three and were able to see the credits full screen and got some pleasant surprises and more questions!

Again Aquaman and Martian Manhunter had them but so did:

Plastic Man (Jack Cole)

Fire & Ice (E. Nelson Bridwell & Ramona Framdom)

Green Lantern/Alan Scott (Mart Nodell & BILL FINGER!!!) HOORAY!

Starman/Ted Knight (Gardner Fox)

But strangely Fox received no credit for the Flash, Hawkman, Doctor Fate or the Justice Society.

Nor did Jerry Seigel for the Spectre.

Booster Gold's Dan Jurgens was also ignored.

And Bill Finger co-created Wildcat!

And Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams were denied credit for Ra's Al Ghul.

And those were just the episodes I saw!

The Challengers of the Unknown, the Metal Men, Black Lightning and Kamandi, all characters whose creators are known, appeared on the show. Did they get credit?

Phillip Portelli said:

Back to the credits, they list Marv Wolfman & George Perez as the creators of Cyborg, Starfire and Raven and Arnold Drake as the creator of Beast Boy. But there's no listing for Robin. I guess the "Created by Bob Kane" provision only counts for Batman. Would it really be terrible for DC to see a "Robin created by Bob Kane, Bill Finger and/or Jerry Robinson" byline after all this time?

Just the other day, I saw something about this. As noted here by Luke Blanchard, the "created by" credits are contractural, and Bob Kane's contract gives credit to him and no one else. Chris Sims expounds over here at Comics Alliance: http://bit.ly/18ZBUGT.

I watched JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time Original Movie (I swear that's the title!) and Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg all got creator credits but not the Flash or Robin.

Surprisingly guest star DAWNSTAR did! "Created by Paul Levitz & Mike Grell", right there in the end credits. But the other guest hero KARATE KID did not, even though everyone knows that he was created by JIM SHOOTER. Really weird but so was involving two Legionnaires in a JLA movie!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service