Crisis of infinite non-Crisises!

According to Dan Didio, as reported here, there never was a Crisis on Infinite Earths in the new DCU.

No Infinite Crisis, No Final Crisis. No Zero Hour and no Identity Crisis.

Discus.

Edited to add: According to several sources, Identity Crisis is still in continuity. My mistake!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ...Well , that meants " Flashpoint hiccup " will have to obliterate the events of HAWK & DOVE #1 , in which , as I posted about before , both Hawk and his father remember Don's death in the Crisis.........

Oh , and what about Earth-2 Superman's - and Lois'-  death in INFINITE CRISIS , deaths that I thought were both touching and appropriate ???

When Blackest Night happened , the revived " Superman " remembered having been in the JSA - Batman too , IIRC . - , Supes leadinging/organizing it , in fact , which seemed odd to me...........

• "Thou shalt have no other reboot before me!"

We will see if that's really true or really enforced. If the story calls for them happening, they happened. If not, then it's continuity nit-picking.

And I will be waiting for that fallout!

• Fine by me ... but it would have worked better had this reboot been a clean, across-the-board, "nothing happened if we didn't show it in a comic sold after October 2011" reboot.
  • Fine by me, too. (I would actually prefer it that way.) After having read six of the "New 52s," I really wouldn't have expected any of those previous crossovers to still be in continuity.
  • I have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever. Frankly, after Crisis on Infinite Earths, I have never expected anything to remain in status quo for very long. I stopped resenting it early on, and changed my viewpoint to where I began anticipating tomorrow instead of fearing they'd change yesterday. Seems healthier somehow.

But there were an awful lot of angry tweets at #DCNew52, #comics, #comicmarket, etc., on Twitter this week! I tweeted that kids today better get used to the idea of being tossed overboard for the next generation every few years. After all, we did! I think the way I phrased it is something like "Get used to it, kids! Retcon heartbreak is part of being a comics fan!"

• I think the irony there is that, in the early 80's, DC seemed intent on consolidating their continuity, even when they had various series that should have been allowed to stand on their own, and it was (apparently) expected that somehow CRISIS would continue in this direction.  Instead, it wiped out continuity wholesale, except where it didn't, and then insisted on ONE SINGLE continuity for all books, even when it didn't make sense and hurt some series, and then, only until they decided they'd screwed up big-time... and the "fixes" have been going on ever since.
  • ...Yeah , the idea that " nothing in the past ever happened " , and nothing was ever to be referred to , was what hurt me about Crisis , not having , say , " a whole new world "...........
  • So, if we take Dan DiDio at his word, does that mean that none of the characters killed in Crisis On Infinite Earths are dead -- that is, they're alive and might show up in any DC comic at any point? Does that mean Kole is still in the New Teen Titans? 

Does that mean Sue Dibny's murder from Identity Crisis didn't happen?

Does that mean Blue Beetle's murder at the hands of Max Lord in Infinite Crisis didn't happen and he's still alive?

Does that mean all that business with the OMACs in Final Crisis didn't happen? Or Superboy-Prime knocking Pantha's block off didn't happen?

Etc., etc., and so forth?

• You bet, Clark.

So the writers are free to bring in any version of any character as takes their fancy.  For a while at least, the backstory of each character will serve the needs of the story rather than the story serving the dictates of all that backstory.

However, note that very few of these #1's are origin stories.  So all the characters are going to have to have some backstories as heroes and villains.  I don't see why certain facets of the old continuity can't serve as that backstory so long as it suits the story the new writer is telling.

Sometimes I think I'd like to see a complete reboot every 7 years or so.  If the creators had a few years notice of this reboot, think about what they could have done with real growth and development for all these characters that we've been following for the last decade or so.

I recently got to the end of my readthrough of the Johns/Busiek era of Superman - 2005-2008.  John's last arc was about Brainiac.  Johns had to go to extreme lengths to assert that this was the FIRST time Superman was meeting the REAL Brianiac as the all the previous ones were just 'probes' sent by the central REAL guy.  The story, I think mentioned that Superman had had several different versions of Kandor in his Fortress of Solitude (But of course this Johnsian one was the REAL one!) and perceptive readers could see that Johns was skirting around Supergirl's history. Even the various backstories she's had since her latest 'arrival' were contradictory, and most readers would have known that the Superman we were reading about had mourned losing his cousin Kara in the Crisis, and had met about 4 Supergirls since, thinking each one was the first.  Then the stories reference the Johns/Donner Zod and Co, even though this version of Superman had already fought and defeated at least 2 other versions of the same.

Of course, I read it in the run up to the present reboot, but in that context it was all the more obvious that the DCU had become utterly exhausted as a storytelling environment.

Also in hindsight, I realised that the Johns/Busiek era of Superman/Action had a high standard of consistency and quality.  Some great creators bringing some very fine work.  The standard of stories and storytelling was probably as high as at any time in Superman's history.  The depiction of the Super-marriage couldn't have been better for the most part, in showing two people with a lot of grown-up love and also respect for each other.  Excellent art, and storytellers able to tell really longform stories.  The death of Pa Kent paid off a little peek into the future seen in Justice League of America #0 in 2005.

Still.  That the Superman comics couldn't sustain high enough numbers with all that may have been one of the warning signals to DC that the market was becoming too small.  Even when producing hig-quality product, they couldn't sell Superman comics to their 100,000-strong captive market when those 100,000 guys were being distracted by the latest big crossover out there.  100,000 guys can only buy so many comics each month, no matter how good some of that pruduct is...

Isn't hindsight great?

• Yes! I hadn't even thought about the fact that anything with "Crisis" in the title, including Countdown to Infinite Crisis (death of Blue Beetle) and Identity Crisis (hooo! gotcha on a technicality, Meltzer! Sue and Ralph live! Oh, wait...does Ralph still live?) is no longer anything that counts!

Honestly, this makes me pretty happy, even though I'm a huge fan of Final Crisis. I'm totally convinced that Final Crisis is better left to stand on its own, like Watchmen or more aptly Trinity and Kingdom Come. Final Crisis is pure Kirby-inspired cosmic awesomeness, and I love it on its own, and I don't care if it doesn't affect the DCU anymore. It never really did.

I'm giddy.

This reply was deleted.