Replies

• Oh, and to clarify - I don't mean for this thread to be exclusive or anything. If Luke, or anyone else, has a work of art (i.e. painting, sculpture, etc) that they want to draw attention to, don't wait on me.
  • Today's Wood-Block Print:

The Kabuki actor Sawamura Sojuro III; 1794, fifth month, by Tōshūsai Sharaku.
  • Since Luke has restarted his painting of the day thread here - my apologies, Luke, didn't mean to claim jump - I'll limit this thread to non-paintings so as not to duplicate Luke's efforts.
  • Japan has alot of really large statues of Buddha, called daibutsu. This one is the largest, the Ushiku Daibutsu., in Ibaraki Prefecture.
  • Buddha says, "Everything is OK!"

"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• In Buddhism there has been more than one Buddha, so statues of the Buddha don't always depict the Buddha (Siddhārtha Gautama). That's one of the reasons not all Buddha statues look the same, albeit not the only one. According to Wikipedia this statue depicts Amitabha Buddha.

Incidentally, early Buddhist art avoided depicting the Buddha, and the depiction that later developed was influenced by Greek art.
  • The Baron said:
    Since Luke has restarted his painting of the day thread here - my apologies, Luke, didn't mean to claim jump - I'll limit this thread to non-paintings so as not to duplicate Luke's efforts.

Could we combine the threads somehow, do you think? I'm not going to be in a position to do detailed posts - they take me a long time - until the end of the academic year anyway.
  • Luke Blanchard said:
    The Baron said:
    Since Luke has restarted his painting of the day thread here - my apologies, Luke, didn't mean to claim jump - I'll limit this thread to non-paintings so as not to duplicate Luke's efforts.

Could we combine the threads somehow, do you think? I'm not going to be in a position to do detailed posts - they take me a long time - until the end of the academic year anyway.

Dunno if threads can be combined - I'm willing to just let this thread "die" if you don't mind me occasionally posting a non-painting in your thread. Since yours was "first", it should have priority. In the meanwhile, here's a statue of Popeye in Crystal City, TX.
  • Shall we try alternating days?
  • Whatever works for you is fine with me, LB.
This reply was deleted.