He's being replaced by a character who, at least by the illustration, appears to be either Asian or of Asian descent.

I'll be honest, I never was that into the character, so that if they replace him, it won't bother me.  However, are there hardcore Randoholics here who are crushed by this news?

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a bit of a Danny Rand fan myself.

But this has "temporary" written all over it, so I am not worried.

It is not even a new plot.  Out of the top of my head, Captain America, Carol Danvers and Doctor Strange went through similar situations at least once, sometimes far more often.

Oh, there was.   I should know.  The Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner/Kevin Dooley/Ron Marz situation hurt my trust in DC beyond repair.

But this looks like something else entirely.

Randy Jackson said:

They said the same thing about Hal Jordan, and there was no hue and cry to bring him back, right?

My cynical side says to me that this will be undone--either the new character will be unpopular and wind up in limbo, or something will happen that necessitates Danny taking over the role again. 

As for white savior tropes, I don't think they really apply to Danny Rand. 

Sure, his origin is classic WST, but even from very early on his actual story was really about himself and his personal tragedy.  His powers come from an exotic origin that happens to be superficially a foreign culture.

But given that Kun-Lun turned out to be of a extradimensional origin and was unmistakably exotic enough to revolve around a literal dragon from the first, I can't see it being nearly as misrepresentative as it is all-out fantastic.

Danny was an exotic take on the Count of Monte Cristo at first.  Then he became... a bit of a conceptless character really.  A very idealistic, almost innocent character.

It can be hard to make an ongoing centered around him, but he is no White Savior Guy in my book.

However, branding Shang Chi with the role _would_ be a terrible move, mainly because it would result in saddling a genuinely respectfully done ethnic character with an apparent need for recognition as a conventional superhero that would not do him any favors.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

JD DeLuzio replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Hmmm.... Maybe I should have posted my "what are you watching?" post here. Most of the…"
17 seconds ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"We're three-quarters through Licorice Pizza and will finish it this evening. It's…"
6 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"CAPTAIN MARVEL and C.C. BECK Here, the Smithsonian book deviates from the Feiffer one once again.…"
13 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"ANNIE: Another one we chose while flipping through the guide. When I was in high school we played a…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Father and son robot fighters:"
1 hour ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Next, Dennis's cousin (their Mums are sisters) Minnie the Minx with her parents.  On the…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
5 hours ago
The Baron posted a discussion

The World War Two Su[er-Hero I Would Tell If I Could Use Any Characters I wanted

If I could "recruit" whatever characters from whichever comics company I wished and tell any kind…See More
9 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"I've got George Carlin's Class Clown on vinyl. I used to play it incessantly. He actually…"
14 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yeah, but ... here on Earth-Prime, when they gave us the Smallville TV series, Ma and Pa Kent were…"
14 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion A Capitol Fourth -- Happy Independence Day!
"We ventured out yesterday for this year's rendition of A Capitol Fourth. This was the first…"
14 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Thanks for the link! I forgot to mention that #78 was guest-written by Bissette (and…"
15 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service