He's being replaced by a character who, at least by the illustration, appears to be either Asian or of Asian descent.

I'll be honest, I never was that into the character, so that if they replace him, it won't bother me.  However, are there hardcore Randoholics here who are crushed by this news?

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a bit of a Danny Rand fan myself.

But this has "temporary" written all over it, so I am not worried.

It is not even a new plot.  Out of the top of my head, Captain America, Carol Danvers and Doctor Strange went through similar situations at least once, sometimes far more often.

Oh, there was.   I should know.  The Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner/Kevin Dooley/Ron Marz situation hurt my trust in DC beyond repair.

But this looks like something else entirely.

Randy Jackson said:

They said the same thing about Hal Jordan, and there was no hue and cry to bring him back, right?

My cynical side says to me that this will be undone--either the new character will be unpopular and wind up in limbo, or something will happen that necessitates Danny taking over the role again. 

As for white savior tropes, I don't think they really apply to Danny Rand. 

Sure, his origin is classic WST, but even from very early on his actual story was really about himself and his personal tragedy.  His powers come from an exotic origin that happens to be superficially a foreign culture.

But given that Kun-Lun turned out to be of a extradimensional origin and was unmistakably exotic enough to revolve around a literal dragon from the first, I can't see it being nearly as misrepresentative as it is all-out fantastic.

Danny was an exotic take on the Count of Monte Cristo at first.  Then he became... a bit of a conceptless character really.  A very idealistic, almost innocent character.

It can be hard to make an ongoing centered around him, but he is no White Savior Guy in my book.

However, branding Shang Chi with the role _would_ be a terrible move, mainly because it would result in saddling a genuinely respectfully done ethnic character with an apparent need for recognition as a conventional superhero that would not do him any favors.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Randy Jackson replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"With the introduction of Constantine, Moore begins to weave his major epic story that will reach…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUES #38-39: I have lived in Texas for 20 years now. I cannot always remember precisely when I…"
2 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Have we visited the Planet of Vampires yet this month? Pat Broderick inked by Neal Adams and Neal…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
4 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"..."
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
8 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"This is by far the best description of the Stooges' appear I've ever read. It certainly…"
11 hours ago
The Baron replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"The Robonic Stooges is an adaptation of the short-lived (September 1977 - March 1978) cartoon…"
14 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"MORE FCBD: BEGINNING THE GREEN LABELS FUZZY BASEBALL GREATEST HITS: FREE COMIC BOOK DAY…"
14 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Thanking and shaking hands became my go-to behavior after an early negative Con experience getting…"
16 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I met Neal Adams once at a comic convention in the midlands about twelve/thirteen years ago. I…"
17 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
""* I actually knew a woman named Treasure years ago." I knew one named Princess."
17 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service