Replies

• And here I thought Final Crisis was going to be the last one. 

(Must be some obscure definition of the word "final" with which I am unfamiliar.) 

• I can't say the name Dark Crisis fills me with glee. At the same time, the idea of a Crisis that the JLA isn't around for, and it's up to the legacy heroes, is pretty appealing, and pretty much exactly what I want from the "death" of the Justice League -- a chance for newer heroes to step up and shine. 

• It looks to me as a way to solidify Jon Kent's role as Superman and create buzz for these new versions of their classic heroes...until the next movie, TV series or animate project comes up!

• Plus we're learning about this on a Wednesday and I never got the hang of Wednesdays! 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

And here I thought Final Crisis was going to be the last one. 

(Must be some obscure definition of the word "final" with which I am unfamiliar.) 

• C'mon, Baron ... after the Infinite Final Identity Crisis Flashpoint at Zero Hour on the Brightest Day after The Darkest Night, what's one more?

• Awesome.

ClarkKent_DC said:

C'mon, Baron ... after the Infinite Final Identity Crisis Flashpoint at Zero Hour on the Brightest Day after The Darkest Night, what's one more?

• Not the most original name.  We will see.

• I don't mean to be too negative about this, but the cynic in me says, "The OG JLA will back in a year, at most, and the new characters will be shunted off into a new team of their own that will be pushed for a few years."

• And  don't get me wrong, I like Yara Flor, I like Jo Mullein, I like Jackson Hyde, I'm open to the idea of theother "successor" characters, I just don't think that DC will ever really "move on" from the characcters that the generaal public is familiar with.

• DC definitely won't move on. Things will bounce back to the status quo (even if the status quo subtly changes. For example, despite original Nick Fury still being around, I think the Marvel Universe has solidified enough around young Black Nick Fury that he's a permanent fixture). But a few years of seeing fresh new characters and perspectives isn't nothing. And if they get pushed to the side after a few years, that's fine; they'll still be in the DC tapestry, making it richer. And a few of them might remain fairly prominent. Some replacement characters do manage to stick around: John Stewart. Wally West. Khalid Nassour. Damian Wayne (and Tim Drake & Jason Todd & Steph Brown & Cass Cain). Others, like Azrael, fall by the wayside... but he had a 100-issue run before he did! Others will fizzle immediately. But Firestorm was cancelled after 5 issues, and he's still (intermittently) a major part of the DCU, and well-loved by fans. Connor Hawke is back.

I guess my point is, things don't have to stick around forever to have some measure of success, and to be worth doing. A comics universe is a long story with a lot of ebbs and flows, and even something that's initially seen as a failure can be fruitful for future stories. The Justice League's history is much richer because of the detours with the Detroit League and the JLI. One never achieved real success, and one was wildly successful at the time, but as pieces of JLA history, both are valid, and both provide texture for the DCU that the Justice League in its original incarnation could never have offered.

This reply was deleted.