I’d like to start this continuation of the Dark Shadows discussion from the old board with a look at some of the new and upcoming Dark Shadows audio stories from Big Finish Productions. There aren’t nearly as many Dark Shadows audio adventures as there are Doctor Who ones, but the Doctor Who series has been around longer. The Dark Shadows audios are a mixed bag. The first release was a full-cast sequel titled “Return to Collinwood”. Later they began to release a series of interconnected sequential stories grouped in short “seasons”. More recently they’ve been going back to the timeline of the original television show and telling interstitial one-shots. As the Dark Shadows series seems to be catching on, Big Finish seems to be ramping up their production schedule. “Curse of the Pharaoh” was released in September, and the next four are set for monthly release beginning in January at a special subscription rate.

CURSE OF THE PHARAOH:

“Curse of the Pharaoh” stars Nancy Barrett (reprising her role as Carolyn Stoddard) and Marie Wallace (perhaps best known as “Eve” on the TV show) in a new role, famed Egyptologist Dr. Gretchen Warwick. The story doesn’t specify, but I assume it takes place shortly after the end of the series original TV series, circa 1970 or so. Both actresses are kind of rusty and sound as old as they are, not as young as they (Caroline, anyway) are supposed to be. Barrett was always a better actress than Wallace, and that remains true. Wallace’s shortcomings are spotlighted in this “dramatic reading” in which she plays other bit parts, most of the male (Bob the bartender at The Blue Whale, Eliot Stokes on the telephone, Carolyn’s father in flashback), which she performs in a gruff kind of storybook voice as if reading aloud to a child. The story itself is a sequel to the unpopular “Leviathan” television storyline. If you’ve never heard a Dark Shadows audio and thinking of trying one out, there are better ones to start with than this.

KEY: OB = Old Board; UR = Un-Reviewed

Return to Collinwood - 169

SEASON ONE:
S1.1 The House of Despair - 1
S1.2 The Book of Temptation - OB
S1.3 The Christmas Presence - OB
S1.4 The Rage Beneath - 7

SEASON TWO: Kingdom of the Dead - 7

DRAMATIC READINGS:

1. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 1 - OB
2. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 2 - OB
3. Clothes of Sand - OB
4. The Ghost Walker - OB
5. The Skin Walkers - OB
6. The Path of Fate - OB
7. The Wicked & the Dead - OB
8. Echoes of Insanity - OB
9. Curse of the Pharaoh - 1
10. Final Judgment - 1
11. Blood Dance - 1
12. The Night Whispers - 1
13. London’s Burning - 2
14. The Doll House - 30
15. The Blind Painter - 87
16. The Death Mask - 88
17. The Creeping Fog - 89
18. The Carrion Queen - 89
19. The Poisoned Soul - 96
20. The Lost Girl - 96
21. The Crimson Pearl - 114
22. The Voodoo Amulet - 129
23. The House by the Sea - 170
24. Dress Me in Dark Dreams - 154
25. The Eternal Actress - 162
26. The Fall of House Trask - 163
27. Operation: Victor - 166
28. Speak No Evil - 166
29. The Last Stop - 166
30. Dreaming of the Water - 167
31. The Haunted Refrain - 167
32. A Collinwood Christmas - 167
33. The Phantom Bride - 167
34. Beneath the Veil - 167
35. The Enemy Within - 167
36. The Lucifer Gambit - 167
37. The Flip Side - 167
38. Beyond the Grave - 168
39. Curtain Call - 168
40. The Harvest of Souls - 170
41. The Happier Dead - 168
42. The Carriage Damned - 168
43. The Devil Cat - 168
44. The Darkest Shadow - 173

SEASON THREE: Bloodlust - 170-172, 181

45. Panic - 173
46. The Curse of Shurafa - 173
47. In the Twinkling of an Eye - 173
48. Deliver Us from Evil - 173
49. Tainted Love - 173
50. ...And Red All Over - 175

Echoes of the Past - 176

Blood & Fire - 176

Haunting Memories - 177

Phantom Melodies - 178

Dreams of Long Ago - 178

THE TONY & CASSANDRA MYSTERIES:
The Mystery at Crucifix Heights - 179
The Mystery of La Danse Macabre - 179
The Mystery of Flight 493 - 180
The Mystery of Karmina Sonata - 180

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT:
Trio - 180
Honeymoon from Hell - 180
Retreat -180
1:53 AM - 180

MAGGIE & QUENTIN - THE LOVERS' REFRAIN:
The Girl Beneath the Water - 180
The Sand That Speaks HIs Name - 180
The Hollow Winds That Beckon
The Paper to the Flame

Views: 12998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's another SDIF* one.

*Stands for "So Dumb It's Funny"

"X-Files recently started running on BBC America."

Huh? Isn't the point of BBC America to be showing British TV?

So I guess The Beverly Hillbillies are right out ... except for the shows where the Clampetts visit England.
It just strikes me as funny - they don't have enough TV in Britain that BBC America has to show US shows?

Understood.  I'm sure there's all kinda home grown stuff that British audiences are sick of that would still be fresh and interesting to us.  For BBC America, the emphasis should be on BBC, not America.

Of course, I don't get BBC America anymore, so what do I care?

They show Star Trek: The Next Generation, too. Maybe the X-Files link is that Gillian Anderson now lives in Britain. Maybe it's a thematic link to Torchwood.

It looks like they've found that the market most interested in BBC America is the market interested in Doctor Who?  That's a lot of sci-fi shows being listed.

Be thankful if things like 'My Family' have never made it across the pond.

Tracy and I watched the first episode of Being Human on BBC America but it didn't appeal to us. Now I see an Americanized version of the show began airing (on SyFy?) this week? We recorded the first episode but haven't had the time to watch it yet.

Barnabas Joke of the Day: His favorite coffee is decap coffee.
BIG FINISH NEWS: DARK SHADOWS RETURNS IN MAY

A new season of Dark Shadows Dramatic Readings will be released later this year this year in advance of Tim Burton's big-screen remake starring Johnny Depp. The six self-contained horror stories are read by members of the original cast with contributions from some familiar faces to fans of Big Finish.

The series, now produced by James Goss and Joseph Lidster, opens in May with The Blind Painter by Jonathan Morris. “It’s a story about a man who wants to be the greatest artist in the world but he’s simply not good enough,” says Lidster. “A beautiful woman offers him the chance to be everything he wants to be but at a price.” The story stars Roger Davis as Charles Delaware Tate and Nicola Bryant as the mysterious Eloise.

Also available in May is The Death Mask by Mark Thomas Passmore. “This one’s a bit different,” says James Goss. “A lawyer, Tony Peterson, arrives at a millionaire’s party, only to find that one of his fellow guests is the witch Angelique – calling herself Cassandra Collins. Soon, a man lies dead and Tony and Cassandra have to work together to try to survive the night.”

The series then continues in June with Simon Guerrier’s The Creeping Fog – a chilling tale set in a London museum and D Lynn Smith’s The Lost Girl which sees the damned soul of Josette Du Pres making a final journey. July’s releases are The Poisoned Soul by James Goss and The Carrion Queen by Lizzie Hopley. The Poisoned Soul features Nancy Barrett as respected pillar of the community Charity Trask, whose body is possessed by the spirit of music hall star Pansy Faye. Charity’s father, the evil Reverend Trask, features alongside Angelique in The Carrion Queen.

“The previous stories have been a huge success,” says Lidster, “so it’s been great to follow on from that.”

“Dark Shadows was a phenomenally successful US series of the 60s and 70s,” says Goss, “and we’re thrilled to be able to celebrate its 45th anniversary with six more tales of the macabre.”

Second Barnabas Joke of the Day: For breakfast, Barnabas liked toast. Burned to a crisp.
Toast Angelique?
Funny you should say that about Angelique, Bob. See below for the next joke of the day.

I finished reading The Mystery of Collinwood and was surprised to discover that the next paperback in sequence was The Curse of Collinwood. I thought, when I left off with The Mystery of Collinwood (several years ago), that the next one was Barnabas Collins but I guess I was mistaken. I was looking forward to reading the print debut of Barnabas for the first time, but I guess I’ll have to delay it until after I find time to read Curse. I’m pretty sure I’ve never read that one, though, so at least I’ll be covering new ground from here on out.

Over the weekend I also watched episode #179, which prominently features the caretaker of the cemetery. That character is so eccentric the thought occurred to me what if he himself is a ghost? That would help explain his odd behavior, his manner of dress, how he knows so many details about those who died centuries ago, and so on. I’m sure he wasn’t intended to be a ghost nor is there anything other than circumstantial evidence (and my own imagination) to support this theory, but I find his scenes even more enjoyable when viewed from that point of view.

Barnabas Joke of the Day: Barnabas doesn’t really care for donuts. But he’s mad about a toasted Danish.
Would the sequel to The Curse of Collinwood be The Monster of Collinwood?  Were there later books titled The Genesis of Collinwood, The Destiny of Collinwood, Resurrection of Collinwood, Revelation of Collinwood and Remembrance of Collinwood

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service