I’d like to start this continuation of the Dark Shadows discussion from the old board with a look at some of the new and upcoming Dark Shadows audio stories from Big Finish Productions. There aren’t nearly as many Dark Shadows audio adventures as there are Doctor Who ones, but the Doctor Who series has been around longer. The Dark Shadows audios are a mixed bag. The first release was a full-cast sequel titled “Return to Collinwood”. Later they began to release a series of interconnected sequential stories grouped in short “seasons”. More recently they’ve been going back to the timeline of the original television show and telling interstitial one-shots. As the Dark Shadows series seems to be catching on, Big Finish seems to be ramping up their production schedule. “Curse of the Pharaoh” was released in September, and the next four are set for monthly release beginning in January at a special subscription rate.

CURSE OF THE PHARAOH:

“Curse of the Pharaoh” stars Nancy Barrett (reprising her role as Carolyn Stoddard) and Marie Wallace (perhaps best known as “Eve” on the TV show) in a new role, famed Egyptologist Dr. Gretchen Warwick. The story doesn’t specify, but I assume it takes place shortly after the end of the series original TV series, circa 1970 or so. Both actresses are kind of rusty and sound as old as they are, not as young as they (Caroline, anyway) are supposed to be. Barrett was always a better actress than Wallace, and that remains true. Wallace’s shortcomings are spotlighted in this “dramatic reading” in which she plays other bit parts, most of the male (Bob the bartender at The Blue Whale, Eliot Stokes on the telephone, Carolyn’s father in flashback), which she performs in a gruff kind of storybook voice as if reading aloud to a child. The story itself is a sequel to the unpopular “Leviathan” television storyline. If you’ve never heard a Dark Shadows audio and thinking of trying one out, there are better ones to start with than this.

KEY: OB = Old Board; UR = Un-Reviewed

Return to Collinwood - 169

SEASON ONE:
S1.1 The House of Despair - 1
S1.2 The Book of Temptation - OB
S1.3 The Christmas Presence - OB
S1.4 The Rage Beneath - 7

SEASON TWO: Kingdom of the Dead - 7

DRAMATIC READINGS:

1. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 1 - OB
2. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 2 - OB
3. Clothes of Sand - OB
4. The Ghost Walker - OB
5. The Skin Walkers - OB
6. The Path of Fate - OB
7. The Wicked & the Dead - OB
8. Echoes of Insanity - OB
9. Curse of the Pharaoh - 1
10. Final Judgment - 1
11. Blood Dance - 1
12. The Night Whispers - 1
13. London’s Burning - 2
14. The Doll House - 30
15. The Blind Painter - 87
16. The Death Mask - 88
17. The Creeping Fog - 89
18. The Carrion Queen - 89
19. The Poisoned Soul - 96
20. The Lost Girl - 96
21. The Crimson Pearl - 114
22. The Voodoo Amulet - 129
23. The House by the Sea - 170
24. Dress Me in Dark Dreams - 154
25. The Eternal Actress - 162
26. The Fall of House Trask - 163
27. Operation: Victor - 166
28. Speak No Evil - 166
29. The Last Stop - 166
30. Dreaming of the Water - 167
31. The Haunted Refrain - 167
32. A Collinwood Christmas - 167
33. The Phantom Bride - 167
34. Beneath the Veil - 167
35. The Enemy Within - 167
36. The Lucifer Gambit - 167
37. The Flip Side - 167
38. Beyond the Grave - 168
39. Curtain Call - 168
40. The Harvest of Souls - 170
41. The Happier Dead - 168
42. The Carriage Damned - 168
43. The Devil Cat - 168
44. The Darkest Shadow - 173

SEASON THREE: Bloodlust - 170-172, 181

45. Panic - 173
46. The Curse of Shurafa - 173
47. In the Twinkling of an Eye - 173
48. Deliver Us from Evil - 173
49. Tainted Love - 173
50. ...And Red All Over - 175

Echoes of the Past - 176

Blood & Fire - 176

Haunting Memories - 177

Phantom Melodies - 178

Dreams of Long Ago - 178

THE TONY & CASSANDRA MYSTERIES:
The Mystery at Crucifix Heights - 179
The Mystery of La Danse Macabre - 179
The Mystery of Flight 493 - 180
The Mystery of Karmina Sonata - 180

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT:
Trio - 180
Honeymoon from Hell - 180
Retreat -180
1:53 AM - 180

MAGGIE & QUENTIN - THE LOVERS' REFRAIN:
The Girl Beneath the Water - 180
The Sand That Speaks HIs Name - 180
The Hollow Winds That Beckon
The Paper to the Flame

GOTHIC PAPERBACK LIBRARY

1. Dark Shadows - p183
2. Victoria Winters - p183
3. Strangers at Collins House - p183
4. The Mystery of Collinwood - p184
5. The Curse of Collinwood - p184
6. Barnabas Collins - p185
7. The Secret of BC - p185
8. The Demon of BC - p185
9. The Foe of BC - p185
10. The Phantom of BC - p185
11. BC vs. the Warlock - p186
12. The Peril of BC - p186
13. BC and the Mysterious Ghost - p187
14. BC and Quentin's Demon - p188
15. BC and the Gypsy Witch - p188
16. B, Q and the Mummy's Curse - p188
17. B, Q and the Avenging Ghost - p242
18. B, Q and the Nightmare Assassin - p244
19. B, Q and the Crystal Coffin
20. B, Q and the Witch's Curse
21. B, Q and the Haunted Cave
22. B, Q and the Frightened Bride
23. B, Q and the Scorpio Curse
24. B, Q and the Serpent
25. B, Q and the Magic Potion
26. B, Q and the Body Snatchers
27. B, Q and Dr. Jekyll's Son
28. B, Q and the Grave Robbers
29. B, Q and the Sea Ghost
30. B, Q and the Mad Magician
31. B, Q and the Hidden Tomb
32. B, Q and the Vampire Beauty
33. House of Dark Shadows - p241

ROB STAEGER: p189

NEWSPAPER STRIPS: p241

Views: 17647

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SPOILER SPACE for Rob, I guess

=

=

=

=

=

=

=

=

The next disk is "The Best of [REDACTED], with intros by the actor that played [REDACTED].

Episode 694 (2/20/1969)  Professor Stokes has a hot time, and the Collinses leave the house.

Cliffhanger:  Someone has a good laugh!

Episode 714 (3/20/69) In 1897, a will is read and plots are laid. 

Cliffhanger:  And the cradle will rock!

Episode 722 (4/1/69)In 1897, even the dead get no rest.

Cliffhanger: Rachel's off her rocker, but someone else is in it!

Episode 786 (6/30/69)  Still in 1897, a fellow with a hairy problem consults the least-convincing Gypsy woman ever!  (I kept waiting for her to say, "Meester Fawlty, no!")

Cliffhanger: Someone gets a sore ankle!

Episode 836:  Wait, they included the same episode twice in the same collection?

Episode 905 (12/15/69)  A face from the past appears, but Barnabas leaves them feeling run down.  How does a vampire get a driver's license?  What place does road tests after dark?

Cliffhanger:  It's the unholy offspring of Moe Howard and Pugsley Addams!

Episode 984 (4/2/70) On Earth-Two, young marrieds are haunted by the past!

Cliffhanger: "She's come back!"

Episode 1065:  Another duplicate episode! How cheesy!

Episode 1129: In 1840, someone wants to get a head.  Meanwhile, a  nasty custody battle ensues.

Cliffhanger: "He will never get away from me!"

Were these really the "best" of [REDACTED]?

I think I can identify every episode you mention. ("Ice cream headache" is a favorite of mine.) Good job!

"Wait, they included the same episode twice in the same collection?"

It looks to me as if what you have is several individual collections packaged together.

How does a vampire get a driver's license?

If you really want to know [SPOILER] Barnabas has been cured of vampirism at this point in the story.

The next disk is "The Best of Angelique", with Intros by Lara Parker.

Episode 368/369 (11/22/1967)  Angelique arrives at Collinwood in a black-and-white kinescope.

Cliffhanger: "You will see!"

Episode 405 (1/12/1968)  Barnabas and Angelique have an extreme difference of opinion.

Cliffhanger:  Barnabas is attacked by a crappy special effect!

Episode 477 (4/23/1968) Roger [REDACTED] a woman named Cassandra, who hypnotizes a lawyer.

Cliffhanger:  Angelique makes cryptic threats at Barnabas!

Episode 499 (5/23/1968)  Barnabas enlists Sam's help to make Angelique look her age.

Cliffhanger: Angelique leaves Sam in the dark!

Episode 606 (10/21/1968)  Angelique torments Barnabas while Nicholas torments her.  Adam and Eve are involved somehow.

Cliffhanger:  Angelique torments Barnabas some more!

Episode 852 (9/30/1969) In Barnabas' absence, Angelique chases after [REDACTED].  Kitty has a bad day, and Edward and [REDACTED] quarrel.

Cliffhanger: "Something is really happening!"

Episode 1003 (4/29/1970) On Earth-Two, [REDACTED] sees duplicates of Amy and Daniel.

Cliffhanger:  Angelique leaves the handyman cold!

Episode `1130 (10/26/1970) In 1840, Angelique searches for Barnabas, while Barnabas tries to get  a head. Letitia is hiding something.

Cliffhanger: "Now you can be whole again!"

Episode 1140 (11/6/1970) in 1840, sneery-Face startles Angelique into a flashback to 1692

Cliffhanger:  Sneery-Face has a bad dream!

The last disk is "The Best of Barnabas", with intros by Lara Parker.

Episode 221 (5/2/1967) Barnabas meets Maggie and joe.  (Vampires drink coffee?)

Cliffhanger:  Maggie is being watched!

Episode 349 (10/26/1967) Julia is kind of evil in this.  Vickie thinks Burke is OK. Carolyn tells Joe she saw Sarah. 

Cliffhanger: Carolyn sees a bat at Vickie's window!

Episode 418 (1/31/1968) In 1795, Ben explains things to Barnabas, Angelique haunts Josette, and Josette meets Barnabas.

Cliffhanger: Barnabas opens his mouth!

Episode 535 (7/12/1968) Barnabas wants Vickie to tell him her dream.  Julia slaps Cassandra. Barnabas takes a nap.

Cliffhanger: Barnabas is attacked by a crappy special effect - again!

Episode 703 (3/5/1969) In 1897, an overacting Gypsy woman is threatened by a crappy special effect.  Later, she gives vague warnings. [REDACTED] harasses Bess (Beth?)

Cliffhanger: [REDACTED] threatens Barnabas with a sword!

Episode 718 (3/26/1969) Still in n1897, Barnabas meets Angelique, and [REDACTED] uses Jamison as a spy, and wants to put the voodoo on Barnabas!

Cliffhanger: Magda predicts death for [REDACTED]!

Episode 915 (12/29/1969) Some kid bosses Barnabas around.  Barnabas is threatened by Brain Guy from MST3K.  Meghan pesters Barnabas.

Cliffhanger:  Barnabas must do what Brain Guy says!

Episode 982 (3/31/1970)  On Earth-Two, Barnabas meets William Loomis. The newlyweds settle into their new life.  Mr. & Mrs. Loomis argue.  William warns Maggie against Julia. Barnabas has a snack with Carolyn.

Cliffhanger:  Barnabas is taken prisoner!

Episode 1133 (9/30/1970) In 1840, [REDACTED] gets a letter. Bolivar Trask questions Barnabas' authenticity. Angelique meets Rock's Andrew, and puts the voodoo on her.

Cliffhanger:  Angelique gives Barnabas an ultimatum!

"Bess (Beth?)"

Collinwood servant Beth Chavez.

Just poking my head back into the thread to say it's been a busy few weeks, and I haven't had much time to watch... but hopefully I'll make some progress this week. I haven't given up!

I was wondering. We stopped watching on June 28 (when you posted 388) because we had pulled so far ahead of you. Keep in mind, the original series, a five episodes per week, took five years

Yeah, this is gonna be a long haul, no matter how fast I go!

Ha, I just figured out part of the reason why I stalled on Dark Shadows. I usually start an episode when I'm making eggs for breakfast -- puttering around the kitchen, watching on my phone. But I need wireless headphones to make that happen, and last week my wireless headphones were mysteriously out of juice. So I listened to a podcast instead, using wired headphones (audio only, so I could keep my phone in my pocket). I charged the wireless ones, and they're still dead. So: New wireless headphones are on the way, and I'll be back to my breakfasts with Barnabas soon!

I've seen through episode 390/391 now -- Angelique has made Sara sick, and then "cured" her with tea (and, um, pulling the pins out of her voodoo doll), getting Barnabas to promise to marry her. Naomi questions the suddenness of the marriage. Andre urges Barnabas to talk to Josette and absolve her of any blame in Jeremiah's death -- a tall order, which Barnabas balks at. And Jeremiah dies while Barnabas and Andre are in the room, but at the same moment, Josette sees his ghost (his face covered, as Anthony George was gone), beckon for her. 

Yes, I purposefully did not mention Jeremiah's appearances as a corpse/ghost when I mentioned Anthony George's last episode.

We left off with 394 so, until you catch up, I'm going to have to rely on your comments to refresh me memory as the episodes are no longer fresh in my mind.

I took a look at episode 392 last night. Naomi and Joshua argue over the propriety of Barnabas marrying Angelique. Joshua tries to bribe Angelique to go back to Martinique and forget about Barnabas, but she refuses. Angelique tries to get married at once, but Naomi gets her to slow her roll a bit by pledging that if she does, she'll be a friend to her throughout her married life.

Meanwhile, Barnabas still hasn't told Josette that he's marrying Angelique. He chickens out.

Also, Joshua wants to spare the family name the shame of a duel by saying that Jeremiah died due to an accident while cleaning his gun.

That night, Angelique calls on Jeremiah's spirit to rouse Josette. Josette runs out in the night to Jeremiah's grave, followed by Naomi. And a hand begins to reach out from the grave....!  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service