Replies

• I couldn't help but notice that NONE of these feature the "New 52" versions of the characters.

• You've overlooked a few, then. Harley Quinn, Grayson, Justice League United, and Batgirl are all definitely dressed in their New 52 costumes.

• He's one of my absolute faves, too. His heroes have such personality -- he doesn't have a lot of patience for gritted-teeth, 90s-style heroes. (Though he does great work with tension, too, as his Parker books can attest.)

I'll almost certainly be picking up a few issues with his covers as tryouts that month.

And he and DC are doing themselves a big favor by running them horizontally. Those images are going to show up on a lot of social media cover pages, etc. I've got the Flash one up right now.  

• He can do superheroes with a sense of fun, like it might actually be a worthwhile walk of life. The interesting thing is that he can also do semi-serious and serious work convincingly (Before Watchmen: Minutemen and the Parker books).

• Oh, for sure. Batman: Ego, Catwoman, and New Frontier--just to name a few--were also incredibly serious.

Richard Willis said:

He can do superheroes with a sense of fun, like it might actually be a worthwhile walk of life. The interesting thing is that he can also do semi-serious and serious work convincingly (Before Watchmen: Minutemen and the Parker books).

• And for the record, these are all incredibly gorgeous. I would love to own prints of all of them.

• I'm seriously hoping these will be available as posters. No way I'm buying the comics.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

And for the record, these are all incredibly gorgeous. I would love to own prints of all of them.

• It's an interesting event for DC, since it appeals mostly to people who don't like the current versions of the comics and opens them up to mostly the comments that are occurring here--the same ones have showed up on Facebook.

I was amazed to see that some of them (Supergirl, Teen Titans) even feature versions of the characters who haven't existed in decades. Do these appeal to the actual comics' readers? Or do they just roll their eyes and move on to the cool stuff inside?

BTW, Cooke drew ALL-STAR WESTERN #34, the final issue that's out right now, and it's gorgeous. Naked women, big explosions, and a surprise ending. I really enjoyed it.

-- MSA

• I've heard Cooke talk about the way he deals with established characters (like the other DC superhero work he's done). He really isn't interested in the intricacies of continuity. He'll only work on a character if he has the freedom to use the basic character back story as his continuity. I suppose for these covers DC could have suggested models to him, but maybe they just let him choose, which would explain the very old versions of some of them.

• Mr. Silver Age said:

Do these appeal to the actual comics' readers? Or do they just roll their eyes and move on to the cool stuff inside?

Aren't these the special alternate covers that the LCS can only get if they order large quantities of the comics with the standard covers? Then they can mark them up with premium prices and completists will buy them.

This reply was deleted.