Starting with a 2-issue miniseries, DC Millennium, which walks the reader through 1,000 years, ending at the Legion's doorstep. Millennium is by Brian Bendis and a variety of artists (one for each time period), and the Legion proper will by by Bendis and Ryan Sook. There's an interview with Bendis about his plans on Comicbook.com. 

Views: 1004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Green Lantern Corps does still exist in the 30th century, at least according to Paul Levitz's version of the Legion.  The Corps were just told to stay away from the Earth, after they interfered with Earth's time travel experiments, as revealed in "The Origin of the Universe File".  The Guardians agreed on the grounds that Earth could look after itself, with the help of the Legion.

This story also showed the villain Universo to be a rogue GL, the Sinestro of his era.  Later on, Rond Vidar, Universo's son, was revealed to be secretly the GL of Earth.

No reason why the Metal Men shouldn’t still exist as well.  That would have been a fun team up during the Silver Age.

Captain Comics said:

A few other things:

Mon-El is being snuggled by ... Dream Girl?!?? With Shadow Lass standing right there, so I guess that couple is retconned away.

Both M-E Lad and Timber Wolf are considerably chunkier than before. Well, kids today ...

I don't see any reason Dr. Fate -- well, the Helmet of Nabu -- wouldn't make it to the 32nd century. It's already been around for four or five centuries.

That does raise the issue of other long-lived/immortal characters from our time. Some stories posit Martian Manhunter as essentially immortal, the mental repository of the entire race, so he could be there, but isn't. What about Andrew Bennett? Red Tornado? Amazo? Robotman? Negative Man? That angel that was part of Morrison's Justice League? What about some Hawks from Thanagar? And did they ever explain why there's no Green Lantern Corps in the future?

There's probably more I'm not thinking of. Of course, Wolverine is there, only they call him "Timber Wolf."

I realize we shouldn't being doing this, especially since even the mini-series hasn't been released yet, but I know a lot of long time readers (like most of us here) will not be able to keep from thinking about past versions of the Legion while we read the new one.

I personally still wonder about Sook as the artist, for there are times I feel the Legion needs someone more "sleeker" (for lack of a better term) like a Mike Grell or a Neal Adams.

But I'm still willing to give both him and Bendis a chance, for it will be great just to see the team in action again.

Yet does anyone know if we're looking at a bi-weekly or monthly title?

I love Sook's art but I have serious doubts that he can maintain even a monthly schedule.  Maybe they could go bi-weekly if they brought in some more artists.

Thanagar still exists (or existed) in the 30th century. It was mentioned in Superboy #217 but not shown. During the Great Darkness Saga, several Wingmen were seen as casualties. 

Pete, thanks for the GL update. I read all those books, but it's tough to keep track of all the different iterations of the team. Wasn't Rond Vidar killed in 5YL? I may be thinking of another era.

I also doubt Legion will be twice monthly, because DC has announced that it's cutting back on bi-weeklies -- and may end them altogether. Wouldn't make sense to launch a new book on a schedule that's going away.

Rond's death happened after I'd stopped reading the Legion regularly, though I do remember when Universo apparently killed him because of his immunity to his father's hypnosis powers.  According to dc.fandom.com, Superboy Prime killed him in both the Glorithverse and post Infinite Crisis.  Apparently, post Zero Hour, he's alive again, and Saturn Girl's cousin rather than Universo's son!
Captain Comics said:

Pete, thanks for the GL update. I read all those books, but it's tough to keep track of all the different iterations of the team. Wasn't Rond Vidar killed in 5YL? I may be thinking of another era.

Here's some more Legion art -- Bryan Hitch's two-part variant covers for Millennium 1 & 2. 

The Legion and the Metal Men actually did team up once, in the reboot Legion comics, when half the team was stranded in the 20th century. (I think it was still the 20th century...maybe early 21st?)

Dave Palmer said:

No reason why the Metal Men shouldn’t still exist as well.  That would have been a fun team up during the Silver Age.

There's a multi-page Legion promo in the back of Event Leviathan that confirms a number of character IDs. Aside from Superboy and Lightning Lad, already known, there's Shrinking Violet (32 on the numbered Legion 1 cover), Princess Projectra (11), and Triplicate Girl (31). 

This is one of the revised pages from Superman #14. It's not that clear and I've seen better shots but they redesigned Lightning Lad's face and skin color. Not sure if they did that to anyone else.

Okay, from what I personally can make out between the two images, the hair is questionable at best.

The coloring plate(s) might have slipped in printing the top image, or else there was a bright light source to the character's left, but either way he is wearing gloves, so you can't say anything definitive about the hands.

Guess it's better to err on the side of caution than to raise unhappy fans.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service