DC artists that would have 'fit' into Marvel

I was looking at some wonderful Joe Kubert art recently and thought how well he would have been art Marvel on a title like Thor or Conan (as well as Sgt Fury of course!). What other Silver Age DC artists would have worked well at Marvel? Dick Dillin on Avengers? Nick Cardy on Spider-Man?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I know there were certain crossover of artists like Andru, Sekowsky, Infantino, Kane etc but I was think about the artists who never did any Marvel work to speak of. I think Nick Cardy did a little in the Marvel black and whites, but what about the more mainstream.

• How about this:

Curt Swan on Thor or Iron Man

Nick Cardy on the X-Men and Spider-Man

Dick Sprang on Captain America

Dick Dillin on the Sub-Mariner or Nick Fury

Murphy Anderson on the Hulk and the Avengers

Joe Kubert on Doctor Strange and the Fantastic Four

Ramona Fradon on Daredevil and Ant/Giant Man

• Since we're playing "What if?" I think better match ups would be:

Curt Swan on Captain America

Murphy Anderson on Doctor Strange (especially if he inked himself)

Dick DIllin on either the Fantastic Four or the Avengers

Nick Cardy on whatever team Dillin didn't do.

Ramona Fradon on Spiderman

Dick Sprang on Daredevil

and Joe Kubert on Nick Fury.

• I was considering Ramona Fradon for Spidey but thought that she was a bit too cartoony, even though I enjoy her work.

Another thought was Kurt Schaffenberger for Spider-Man; I don't know how the action scenes would have turned out but Peter, Mary Jane, Gwen, Harry, Flash and the rest would have looked great!

I think Dillin would have been just fine on SHIELD. Maybe Infantino on the Avengers?

The only character that I can't comfortably match with a DC artist is the Thing!

• Infantino did THE AVENGERS once!  (Steve Gerber wrote it, if memory serves.)

I can picture Dick Sprang on DAREDEVIL... especially if someone with a sense of humor wrote it.

• Here's a few more names:

Bruno Premiani on the X-Men

Bob Oksner on Millie the Model and Not Brand Ecch

Irv Novick on Sub-Mariner

Al Plastino on Ant-Man / Giant-Man

Wayne Boring on Thor (he eventually had a brief cup of coffee at Marvel in the 1970s, but he'd have been great on a monthly series)

Russ Heath on Sgt Fury

Sheldon Mayer on... hmmmm, Marvel didn't really have anything he could've worked on during the Silver Age, so I would've just let him create Sugar & Spike for Marvel and see what happens

• Jim Aparo on Sub-Mariner or Daredevil would have been something special. Mike Sekowsky on Black Widow perhaps.

• Yes but not in his Silver Age prime. He also did Spidey and the Hulk in a couple of Marvel Team-Ups. In that regard how about Gil Kane on Giant-Man?

Henry R. Kujawa said:

Infantino did THE AVENGERS once!  (Steve Gerber wrote it, if memory serves.)

I can picture Dick Sprang on DAREDEVIL... especially if someone with a sense of humor wrote it.

• "He also did Spidey and the Hulk in a couple of Marvel Team-Ups."

Those I don't remember.

But I do remember Carmine Infantino FILLING IN for Gil Kane on DAREDEVIL, (Honestly, how the hell do you miss 2 issues in a row on a BI-MONTHLY schedule?) and doing 2 long STAR-LORD stories, AND, doing almost 2 years woirth of SPIDER-WOMAN, which I'd rank as his best work at Marvel. He was inked by Tony DeZuniga, who almost always MURDERED everyone he inked, but Infantino-DeZuniga looked BEAUTIFUL! Took me completely by surprise. Newcomer Al Gordon took his place when Wolfman left (have to check, may have been an editorial thing-- took me ages before I noticed when a book's editor changed, usually the entire creative line-up changed at the same time, a matter of who the editor wanted to hire more than is the current team actually doing a good job.

One of the weirdest-looking books I ever saw (and just re-read it a few days ago, STILL freakin' weird looking) was GIANT-SIZE SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #2 by Mike Sekowsky & Sam Grainger. It was like a Saturday morning cartoon on ACID or something.

I bet Arnold Drake would have PREFERRED having Bruno Premiani on X-MEN, or CAPTAIN MARVEL.

And Bob Oksner-- definitely my favorite stuff of his is humor, like JERRY LEWIS.

Wayne Boring did 3 issues of CAPTAIN MAR-VELL... awful, AWFUL!!! (Of course, most of that was the "writing"-- and I use that word loosely.) He also did THOR #280, with Roy Thomas & Tom Palmer. (Right in between issues by Alan Kupperberg and Keith Pollard.)

• They used fake names... or pen names... Gil Kane went by the name Adams at first when he did Marvel work, if I'm not mistaken.

George Bell was George Rusoe, or something similar.  I think it was fairly common practice, until you were caught.  But I don't know how someone as distinctive as Gil Kane thought he wouldn't be recognised. etc.

Gil Kane and Ross Andru were working simultaneously for Marvel and DC in the late '60s. Don't know how they got away with that. The companies used to have strict "you're working for them or for us" policies. (Steve Skeates claims Stan Lee fired him he learned Skeates was moonlighting for competitors. As Skeates recalled it, Stan said: "I understand you're working for our competitor, so you're not working for us anymore.")

This reply was deleted.