A comment by Dr. Hmmm? in the "What Comics Have You Read Today?" thread got me thinking about DC Golden Age series/characters that’ve been comprehensively collected. The list is not long. What’s longer is the list of series/characters DC has begun reprinting, but never finished. A (much) longer list is series/characters we will probably never see reprinted.

I decided to make some lists of these reprints for my own use, but some Legionnaires may find them interesting. Of course, I'm always open to corrections and suggestions.

COMPLETE OR IN PROCESS

Batman: The Golden Age Batman Omnibus series is in process of collecting all Bat-stories from Detective Comics, Batman and World’s Finest Comics. The series is currently up to mid-1954 as of January 2022.

Black Canary: DC Archive Editions Black Canary Vol. 1 collects all her Golden Age appearances outside of All-Star Comics, which occurred in Flash Comics #92-104.

Doctor Fate: DC Archive Editions Golden Age Doctor Fate Vol. 1 collects all the character’s solo appearances, from More Fun Comics.

Justice Society: DC Archive Editions Golden Age All-Star Vols. 1-11 collects all the Justice Society of America stories from All-Star Comics #3-57. 

Newsboy Legion: The Newsboy Legion ran in Star Spangled Comics #7-64, with one outside appearance in Detective Comics #76. I'm not sure about the Detective story, but all of the BC stories from Star Spangled Comics are included in DC's Newsboy Legion Vols. 1-2.

Phantom Lady: Phantom Lady’s Golden Age solo appearances consist of Police Comics #1-23 (Quality), Feature Comics #69-71 (Quality), Phantom Lady #13-23 (Fox), All-Top Comics #8-17 (Fox), Phantom Lady #1-4 (Ajax-Farrell) and Wonder Boy #17-18 (Ajax-Farrell). They are all to be found in Roy Thomas Presents Classic Phantom Lady Vols. 1-2.

Seven Soldiers of Victory: The team’s entire run in Leading Comics #1-14 is collected in DC Archive Editions Seven Soldiers of Victory Vols. 1-3.

Starman: DC Archive Editions Golden Age Starman Vols. 1-2 collects all the Astral Avenger’s stories in Adventure Comics.

Superman: The Golden Age Superman Omnibus series is in process of collecting all Super-stories from Action Comics, Superman and World’s Finest Comics. It is currently up to mid-1948 as of January 2022.

Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Wonder Woman Omnibus series is in process of collecting all Wonder-stories from Comic Cavalcade, Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman. It is currently up to mid-1949 as of January 2022.

INCOMPLETE

Atom: DC Archive Editions JSA All-Stars Vol. 1 reprints the first five Al Pratt stories from All-American Comics #19-23. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 includes the Atom story from Big All-American Comic Book. That leaves stories in All-American Comics #24-46, 48-61, 70-72; Flash Comics #80, 82-83, 87, 89-95, 97-100, 102-104; Comic Cavalcade #22-23, 28; and Sensation Comics #86.

Blackhawk: DC Archives Editions Blackhawk Vol. 1 collects the team’s earliest adventures, from Military Comics #1-17. But that’s just a drop in the bucket when you consider the team continued in Military Comics until issue #43, and the eponymous Blackhawk ran for 107 issues at Quality Comics and is not yet being reprinted. DC Comics picked up Blackhawk with issue #108 (Jan 57). It ran until issue #274, but those issues aren’t addressed here, as they are largely considered Silver Age or Bronze Age.

Blackhawk is one book I really want reprinted, at least to see how the winnowing of the team from a large, largely faceless organization to seven specific characters happened.

Boy Commandos: Boy Commandos ran for 36 issues, plus Detective Comics #64-150 and World's Finest #8-41. DC's Boy Commandos Vols. 1-2 collects only the Boy Commandos stories from Detective Comics #64-83 and 85, World's Finest (1941-1986) #8-13 and Boy Commandos (1943-1949 1st Series) #1-5. There's a lot more to go, much of it by Kirby, so what's the holdup?

Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr., Mary Marvel: These characters appeared in Thrill Comics #1 (ashcan), Whiz Comics #2-155; America’s Greatest Comics #1-8, Captain Marvel Adventures #1-150; Captain Marvel Jr. #1-119; Marvel Family #1-89; Master Comics #21-133, Mary Marvel #1-28, Wow Comics #9-58, a bajillion premiums, giveaways and one-shots; and probably a host of other books I didn’t think to look up. What we have so far is DC Archive Editions Captain Marvel Vols 1-4 and DC Archives Editions Marvel Family Vol. 1, which reprint Thrill Comics #1, Whiz Comics #2-25, Special Edition Comics #1, Captain Marvel Adventures #1-5 & part of #18, America’s Greatest Comics #1-2, Captain Marvel Thrill Book #1, Xmas Comics #1, Master Comics #21 & 23-32 and Captain Marvel Jr. #1. There is so, so much more out there.

Captain Midnight: This character appears to have been licensed from the radio show, appearing at both Dell and Fawcett in the Golden Age, and recently at Moonstone, Dark Horse, AC Comics and elsewhere. Which may mean that DC doesn't have the rights to reprint.

That may also explain why I'm having trouble finding a comprehensive list of Midnight's Fawcett appearances. He had 67 issues of his eponymous title, which were easy to find, but he also appeared in America's Greatest Comics and other Fawcett books, judging by covers. Dark Horse published two volumes of a Captain Midnight Archives, but it was "select stories" and not comprehensive. 

Doctor Mid-Nite: DC Archive Editions JSA All-Stars Volume 1 contains solo stories of Doctor Mid-Nite from All-American Comics #25-29. That leaves 73 Doctor Mid-Nite stories from All-American Comics #30-102.

Flash: DC Archive Editions Golden Age Flash Vols. 1-2 collect the original Scarlet Speedster’s stories from All-Flash #1-2 and Flash Comics #1-24. DC Archive Editions Comic Cavalcade Vol. 1 includes the Flash stories from Comic Cavalcade #1-3. DC Archive Editions All-Star Vol. 0 collects Flash stories from All-Star Comics #1-2. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 reprints the Flash story from Big All-American Comic Book. What's still missing are the Flash stories from Flash Comics #25-104, All-Flash #3-32, Comic Cavalcade #4-29, All-American Comics #74 and Flash Comics Miniature.

Green Arrow: The Green Arrow Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 collects the Emerald Archer stories from More Fun Comics #73-107, World's Finest Comics #7-28 and Adventure Comics #103-117. What’s missing are stories in World’s Finest #29-94 and Adventure Comics #118-205, 207-249. WFC crosses the divide into the Silver Age at issue #79, and Adventure at issue #217, according to dcuguide.com.

Green Lantern: The DC Archive Editions Golden Age Green Lantern Vols. 1-2 collects the original Emerald Gladiator from All-American Comics #16-38 and Green Lantern #1-3. DC Archive Editions Comic Cavalcade Vol. 1 includes the GL stories from Comic Cavalcade #1-3. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 includes the GL story from Big All-American Comic Book. There’s plenty more to go: All-American Comics #39-102, Green Lantern #4-38 and Comic Cavalcade #4-29.

Hawkman: DC Archive Editions Golden Age Hawkman Vol. 1 collects the Winged Wonder’s first appearances in Flash Comics #1-17. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 includes the Hawk-story from Big All-American Comic Book. DC Archive Editions All-Star Vol. 0 includes the Hawk-stories from All-Star Comics #1-2. What's left are the Hawkman stories in Flash Comics #18-104 and Flash Comics Miniature.

Hourman (sometimes Hour-Man): DC Archive Editions JSA All-Stars Vol. 1 contains solo stories of Hourman from Adventure Comics #48-52.  DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 contains the Hourman story from New York World’s Fair Comics #2. DC Archive Editions All-Star Comics Vol. 0 reprints the Hourman stories from All-Star Comics #1-2. That just leaves the Hourman stories in Adventure Comics #53-83.

Johnny Thunder (sometimes Johnny Thunderbolt): DC Archive Editions JSA All-Stars Vol. 1 reprints Johnny Thunder from Flash Comics #1-5. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 reprints Johnny from New York World’s Fair Comics #2 and Big All-American Comic Book. That leaves Flash Comics #6-53, 56-91; World’s Best Comics #1; World’s Finest Comics #2-3 and Flash Comics Miniature.

Mister Terrific: DC Archive Editions JSA All-Stars Volume 1 contains solo stories of Mr. Terrific from Sensation Comics #1-5. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 includes the Mr. Terrific story from Big All-American Comic Book. That leaves the Mr. T stories from Sensation Comics #6-37, 39-63.

Plastic Man: DC Archives Editions Plastic Man Vols 1-8 collects the Pliable Policeman’s solo adventures through Police Comics #77 and Plastic Man #10, which is roughly mid-1948. That sounds like a lot, but Plastic Man continued in his own title into 1956, and in Police Comics through issue #102 in 1950.

But here's some good news: According to information supplied by Dave Palmer, reprints began creeping into Plastic Man with issue #44 (1954), so most or all of issues #44-64 would not need to be reprinted a second time. Plastic Man #45 had only two new stories, issues #46-52 had only one new story each and Plastic Man #44, 53-64 were all reprint.

Robin: The Golden Age Robin had a solo series that ran in Star Spangled Comics #65-130. The DC Archive Editions Robin Vols. 1-2 made it to issue #105. The Robin stories from Star Spangled Comics #106-130 are yet to be reprinted.

Red Tornado: DC Archive Editions JSA All-Stars Vol. 1 reprints solo Red Tornado stories from All-American Comics #20-24. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 reprints the Red Tornado story from Big All-American Comic Book. That leaves stories (as Ma Hunkel) from All-American Comics #3-4, 6, 11, 13, 15, 17-19 and (as Red Tornado) Comic Cavalcade #4, 7 and All-American Comics #20-56, 58.

Sandman: DC Archive Editions Sandman Vol. 1 collects New York World’s Fair 1939/1940 #1-2 and Adventure Comics #40-57. Sandman by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon Vol. 1 collects World’s Finest #6-7, Adventure Comics #72-97 and the Silver Age (1974) Sandman #1. What’s left un-reprinted is Adventure Comics #58-71 and #98-102, Boy Commandos #1, World’s Finest #3-5 and Detective Comics #76.

The Spectre: DC Archive Editions The Spectre Vol. 1 collects the Ghostly Guardian’s earliest adventures from More Fun Comics #52-71. Golden Age adventures still missing are from More Fun Comics #72-101. (And I know he barely appeared in later issues. Still wanna read ‘em.)

Superboy: This is an odd entry, because it's difficult for me to tell where Superboy enters the Silver Age. In fact, some say the Boy of Steel is himself a Silver Age character (despite first appearing in 1945), because the Golden Age Superman didn't begin his superhero career until he was an adult. It's also probably a futile one, since it appears that DC has to get permission from the Siegel/Shuster estates to reprint Superboy stories, and share the profits -- which means we're not going to see many more. (If any.)

The good news is that twice Superboy lost his title (Adventure, Superboy first series) to the Legion of Super-Heroes, a strip which has been comprehensively reprinted in both Archive and omnibus form. But that's Silver Age, and doesn't help us much.

Speaking of which, the first Legion story was in April 1958, so I'm arbitrarily assigning March 1958 as the end of the Superboy's Golden Age, at least for the purposes of this post. That Age consists of More Fun Comics #101-107, Adventure Comics #103-246 and Superboy #1-63.

There's only been one stab at a comprehensive compilation: The Adventures of Superboy Vol. 1. That contained More Fun #101-107 and Adventure #103-121. So we still need Adventure #122-246 and Superboy #1-63.

Wildcat: DC Archive Editions JSA All-Stars Vol. 1 contains solo stories of Wildcat from Sensation Comics #1-5. DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1 includes the Wildcat story from Big All-American Comic Book. DC Archive Editions Comic Cavalcade Vol. 1 includes the Wildcat stories from Comic Cavalcade #1-2. That just leaves the Wildcat stories from Sensation Comics #6-90.

O, BROTHERS, WHERE ART THOU?

My reprint wish list includes the following characters, which I don’t expect to see.

Although some of them are short-run enough that they could comprise a single HC, or a bit longer runs that could fill an omnibus or two. DC launched JSA All-Stars, an Archives reprinting the B-lister solo stories from the JSA, but it only lasted one volume. I'd love to see that continue (omnibus form would be even better), and I'd extend the concept with a Quality Comics All-Stars and a Fawcett Comics All-Stars omnibus series.

Ah, well. It’ll never happen.

Aquaman: The Sea King started in 1941, but we've got squat in reprints until the Silver Age -- specifically May 1959, when Showcase Presents: Aquaman Vols. 1-3 and DC Archive Editions Aquaman Vol. 1 begin reprinting comprehensively, beginning with Adventure Comics #260, "How Aquaman Got His Powers."

Where Aquaman entered the Silver Age seems to be a matter of opinion. Dcuguide.com lists the first Silver Age story as Adventure Comics #215 ("The Aqua-Mailman," Aug 55), but I don't know why. The AquaWiki site uses the advent of Topo, the first recurring Silver Age Aqua-character, as the beginning of the Silver Age (Adventure Comics #229, "Aquaman's Undersea Partner," Oct 56). DC Comics obviously considers the above-mentioned Adventure Comics #260 ("How Aquaman Got His Powers," May 59) as the starting point.

For my part, I'd want a comprehensive reprint run, regardless of the transition. So yes, I'd want More Fun #73-107 and the Aqua-story in World's Finest #6, which are all inarguably Golden Age. And, Topo aside, I'd want all the Adventure Comics stories up to the beginning of the existing collections, which would be Adventure Comics #208-259.

It's after 1959 that the Aqua-world gets a bit crazy, with Adventure Comics continuing, and new back-up series launching in World's Finest and Detective, plus the three-issue tryout in Showcase, Aquaman's presence in the Justice League Brave and Bold tryouts and the ongoing JLA series, and the launch of the ongoing Aquaman series. The early '60s was Aquaman's world, and we were all just swimming in it.

Black Condor: Include his entire run from Crack Comics #1-31 in the Quality Comics All-Stars series.

Blue Beetle: There are a million Blue Beetle stories at multiple publishers, and I know, because I read them all for the book I’m doing for McFarlane. They are uniformly pedestrian, but they’re also historic. I’d settle for an omnibus of the first Fox material, which carried us from Vitamin 2-X to superpowers, which are the interesting developments. But if it sells, later volumes could include Holyoke, the Fox Restoration and the two pre-Ditko series at Charlton.

Bulletman, Bulletgirl: Bulletman’s Golden Age run (most of which co-starred Bulletgirl) included Nickel Comics #1-8; Bulletman #1-12, 14-16; America's Greatest Comics #1-8; Whiz Comics #106; and Master Comics #7-85, 87-106. Give me at least one omnibus, please. (And throw in solo Bulletgirl appearances in Mary Marvel #8 and Master Comics #86!)

Crimson Avenger: You know, outside of Green Arrow and Shining Knight, I don’t really give a rat’s patoot about any Seven Soldiers characters. But heck, if there’s demand, do a Seven Soldiers All-Stars with Crimson Avenger & Wing, Shining Knight, Star-Spangled Kid & Stripesy and Vigilante. There’s actually a lot of (boring) Crimson Avenger I’m aware of from book research, primarily a short run in World's Best/World's Finest (issues #1-5) and a long run in Detective Comics (issues #20-29, 37-89). I don’t know much about the others and don't care.

Doll Man: Darrell Dane would probably need an omnibus series, given his two long Golden Age runs, in Doll Man #1-27 and Feature Comics #27-139.

Firebrand: His appearances in Police Comics #1-13 could be included in a Quality Comics All-Stars.

Human Bomb: His appearances in Police Comics #1-58 could be included in a Quality Comics All-Stars or a standalone omnibus.

Johnny Quick: Johnny Chambers ran (heh!) in More Fun Comics #71-107 and Adventure Comics #103-207. Might take some omnibuses.

Kid Eternity: His own omnibus for appearances in Hit Comics #25-60 and Kid Eternity #1-17. I’m sure the stories were terrible, but the series had a great premise and sometimes really good art.

Liberty Belle: Her appearances in Star-Spangled Comics #20-67 and Boy Commandos #1-2 could be included in JSA All-Stars.

Manhunter (Paul Kirk): His only Golden Age appearances were in Adventure Comics #73-92. Surely that can be collected! 

Manhunter (Dan Richards): Another Golden Age Manhunter appeared at Quality Comics, in Police Comics #8-101. No relation to Paul Kirk, of course.

Neon the Unknown: I want his appearances in Hit Comics #1-17 in a Quality Comics All-Stars, especially the ones drawn by Lou Fine. 

Mr. Scarlet: Appeared in Wow Comics #1-69 and America's Greatest Comics #1-7. Might need an omnibus.

Shining Knight: I do want to see all of this character’s adventures from Adventure Comics #66-122, 124-125, 127, 131-132, 137-139, 142-145, 148, 150-151, 153, 157, 159, 161, 163 and 165-166. If there’s no Second Banana Seven Soldiers All-Stars, collect all his Golden Age stuff in an omnibus.

The Ray: Happy Terrill's appearances in Smash Comics #14-40 could be included in a Quality Comics All-Stars.

Red Bee: Quality Comics All-Stars. Two dozen 6- or 7-page stories in Hit Comics #1-24. Come on, let me read ‘em. They've got to be unintentionally hilarious. (The man kept trained bees in his belt buckle!)

Robotman: The Golden Age version ran in Detective Comics #138-154, 156-202 and Star Spangled Comics #7-82. Might need an omnibus.

Uncle Sam: His appearances in National Comics #1-45 and Uncle Sam Quarterly #1-8 might fit into a Quality Comics All-Stars. But he’d probably need his own omnibus (or omnibus series).

Zatara: He ran in Action Comics #1-132, 136, 138 and 141, plus World's Fair Comics #1-2 (reprinted in DC Archive Editions Rarities Vol. 1), World's Best Comics #1 and World's Finest #2-51. Might need an omnibus.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Actually, Skipper, to be precise, All-Star Comics Archives Volume 0 contains the stories from All-Star Comics #1-2..

JSA All-Stars Archives Volume 1 contains solo stories of Johnny Thunder from Flash Comics #1-5, Hour-Man from Adventure Comics #48-52,  the Atom from All-American Comics #19-23, the Red Tornado from All-American Comics #20-24, Doctor Mid-Nite from All-American Comics #25-29, and Mr. Terrific and Wildcat from Sensation Comics #1-5.

"Justice Society: DC Archives Editions Golden Age All-Star Vols. 1-11 collects all the Justice Society of America stories from All-Star Comics #3-57. All-Star Comics #1-2, which features solo stories of future JSA members, are collected in JSA All-Stars Vol. 1."

• I'd like to add one...

Manhunter: DC has collected all of the other classic Simon/Kirby series of the '40s, but "Manhunter" is conspicuous in its absence. (It would be a mighty thin volume, admittedly, but they could supplement it with the one-shot from First Issue Special at least.)

[There's a big chunk of Captain America Comics missing, too, but if you're working on a "Marvel" post as well, I know you'll cover it. I mention it here only because that is #1 on my wish list.] 

• The Baron said:

Actually, Skipper, to be precise, All-Star Comics Archives Volume 0 contains the stories from All-Star Comics #1-2 ...

Boy, I bungled that one pretty badly, Baron! It's fixed now, with Atom, Doctor Mid-Nite, Johnny Thunder, Mister Terrific, Red Tornado and Wildcat added to "Incomplete." Thanks!

Also, pulling All-Star Vol. 0, JSA All-Stars and Rarities off my bookshelf and checking the contents is informing some of the other character descriptions. I'll get around to that pretty soon.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I'd like to add one...

Manhunter: DC has collected all of the other classic Simon/Kirby series of the '40s, but "Manhunter" is conspicuous in its absence. (It would be a mighty thin volume, admittedly, but they could supplement it with the one-shot from First Issue Special at least.)

I've added both the DC and Quality Golden Age Manhuters to the list, Jeff. You're right: That's a strange omission.

• Johnny Quick lasted until 1954 as did Vigilante.

Zatara to 1950, Shining Knight to 1951.

They would need to finish Boy Commandos and Newsboy Legion! 

Wouldn't mind seeing Robotman collected as he lasted until 1953.

• I'd like a copy of every one of those.
    On the one hand, don't expect to ever see most of them.
    On the other hand, my bookshelves are filled to groaning with things I never expected to see in print.
    So I can hope.
  • "Superman: The Golden Age Superman Omnibus series is in process of collecting all Super-stories from Action Comics, Superman and World’s Finest Comics. It is currently up to mid-1948 as of January 2022."

Most of the series mentioned are pretty far down on my wish list, if they are on it at all. Realistically, I don't expect to see [X] until I see Superman (Superman!) on a regular basis until it is complete. We haven't seen a volume on the GA Superman omnibus series for three years

• Philip Portelli said:

Johnny Quick lasted until 1954 as did Vigilante.

Zatara to 1950, Shining Knight to 1951.

They would need to finish Boy Commandos and Newsboy Legion! 

Wouldn't mind seeing Robotman collected as he lasted until 1953.

I've updated a great many characters, including Johnny Quick, Shining Knight and Zatara. I added Boy Commandos to "Incomplete," and Newsboy Legion to "Complete." And, oh yeah, Robotman! He's added.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

We haven't seen a volume on the GA Superman omnibus series for three years. 

I didn't realize that until I looked up how far along the series was. He's even been outpaced by Wonder Woman. That's really not encouraging.

• I believe there are still some Golden Age Robin stories from Star-Spangled that haven't been collected yet, including most of those that co-starred Batman.

• Robin: Added!

Dave Elyea said:

I believe there are still some Golden Age Robin stories from Star-Spangled that haven't been collected yet, including most of those that co-starred Batman.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

[There's a big chunk of Captain America Comics missing, too, but if you're working on a "Marvel" post as well, I know you'll cover it. I mention it here only because that is #1 on my wish list.] 

I hadn't really planned a Marvel version of this thread until this comment, Jeff, and started on it last night. Marvel seems to have abandoned its Golden Age reprints, so I wasn't real motivated. And, oy vey, such tsurris! Timely/Atlas is Lord Chaos to National/DC's Master Order. What a mess! Titles change names willy-nilly and when a title gets canceled, the material for future issues gets dumped in all sorts of unlikely places, like superheroes in funny-animal books. The only rule seems to be "put Captain America, Sub-Mariner and Human Torch in as many books as possible."

Worse, the online resources are fewer and less reliable than those that involve DC. I'm basically having to go series by series in the GCD, see what's in each issue, and record it by character. That's how I've already found, for example, 10 more appearances of The Destroyer than what is listed at the "Marvel Database" wiki. There are probably 10 more that I'll never stumble across.

This reply was deleted.