DC recently announced a "robust" expansion of its Digital First program -- seemingly with an aim to get a new title onto the digital shelf every day. As I mentioned in the Walmart thread, the initial stories are drawn from the new content in the Giants, and will appear in the following titles:

• Superman: Man of Tomorrow
  • Batman, Gotham Nights
  • Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace
  • The Flash: Fastest Man Alive
  • Aquaman: Deep Dives
  • DC Superhero Girls: Infinite Frenemies
  • Swamp Thing: New Roots

But will that be enough? At a story a day, a rotation of those titles will burn through their inventory pretty quickly. 

There's also Batman: The Adventures Continue, the animated series-style comic that's being released digitally. And there's also RWBY and Gen: Lock, two non-DCU books that DC releases digital-first. (I'm unfamiliar with them, but it looks like their most recent releases where at the end of March and the beginning of April, so they could still be ongoing.) With those two, that would bring us up to 10 titles, which, without weekends, could fill a two-week rotation. Is that DC's plan? Or do they have something more in store -- as this Newsarama article suggests?

I'll be following these releases here, updating each week's entries. 

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I looked on the Read DC page for Digital Firsts, and it looks like we've got Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman on Monday through Wednesday for the next two weeks. There are placeholder images to pre-order them, but no story or art detail for now. Nothing for Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Flash, Shazam, Titans, or Harley,* either. I didn't check the rest. 

*Make 'em Laugh, that is. The Black, White and Red series continues.

OK, there's at least a little word on the state of these things. Mart Gray asked Hank Kanalz and Marie Javins on Twitter about the Flash, Swamp Thing, and Aquaman DC firsts. Kanalz responded, "We're wrapped on those for now, but fret not -- new stuff coming!"

My guess is that everything that ran in the digital issues had been prepared for Walmart, and when that stuff ran out, the series ended. Maybe Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are the best sellers of the bunch, and are continuing... or maybe they just had more inventory. 

But it looks like the DC Firsts titles might have been a stopgap before being ready to launch things like Harley Quinn: Black, White, and Red; Injustice Year Zero; and others. 

Could be, but I hope not - I’d far rather have the likes of Flash and Beyond the Unknown than more Harley... we already have two other regular DC Digital First Batman-related books. 

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

OK, there's at least a little word on the state of these things. Mart Gray asked Hank Kanalz and Marie Javins on Twitter about the Flash, Swamp Thing, and Aquaman DC firsts. Kanalz responded, "We're wrapped on those for now, but fret not -- new stuff coming!"

My guess is that everything that ran in the digital issues had been prepared for Walmart, and when that stuff ran out, the series ended. Maybe Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are the best sellers of the bunch, and are continuing... or maybe they just had more inventory. 

But it looks like the DC Firsts titles might have been a stopgap before being ready to launch things like Harley Quinn: Black, White, and Red; Injustice Year Zero; and others. 

Oh, I''m totally with ya, Mart! I love these issues, and hope they continue or are revived. 

This past week we had three of the standard Digital First books:

Monday, 8/3: Superman 14: "Hero Envy Part 1"
Tuesday, 8/4: Batman 16: "I'll Never Steal a Car Again" and "Unstoppable"
Wednesday, 8/5: Wonder Woman 11: "Powers"

All three of these issues are probably worth a try. The Superman story reunites Robert Vendetti & Paul Pelletier -- they're telling fantastic stories in the classic Superman mold. (Vendetti has also written a few more good ones with other artists, but IMO Pelletier brings it to a whole nother level. The Wonder Woman story is written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, and drawn by Dave Sampere, who've also told some solid WW stories in this series. And the Batman stories are by Steve Orlando & Tom Mandrake (Batwoman vs. Lord Death Man!) and Andrew Aydin (who co-wrote March with the late Senator John Lewis) and Yildiray Cinar, who did some really nice work on the Legion a couple of realities ago. I had some drinks with Aydin a couple years ago, in the wee hours after an East Coast Comicon in NJ -- he's a terrific guy, and I'm always happy to see his byline.

As for this coming week:

Monday, 8/10: Superman 15: "Hero Envy Part 2" (probably)
Tuesday, 8/11: Batman 16:
Wednesday, 8/12: Wonder Woman 12: 

Plus, we've got:

Tuesdays: DCeased: Hope at World's End; Injustice: Year Zero
Wednesdays: Teen Titans Go!: Roll With It
Thursdays: Batman: The Adventures Continue
Fridays: Harley Quinn: Black, White, and Red

So there's at least one DC digital comic every weekday -- three on Tuesdays! -- but nothing on Saturday and Sunday for now.

You may have said this already Rob, but Andrew Aydin also did a story in Titans Together #3 the other week. it was great and the art by Juan Gedeon was outstanding.

Oh, nice! I remember seeing that, but that was when I was still holding off to see if the Giants would continue. I'll need to go back and get that. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service