On May 19, one day after streaming on DC Universe, Stargirl will debut on The CW broadcast channels in Flash's time slot.

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had an excellent discussion of James Robinson's Starman series over on the old board (although who actually led that discussion is in some dispute). I was looking through my "Starman" box the other day with an eye toward starting a possible "Starmen" discussion (along the lines of "Hawkmen" or "Sandmen"), and I started thimnking about discussing the entire series again, start to finish. Big job, though.

An article from DC Entertainment:

Five Things to Know About Stargirl

Sub-atomic Tactical Robot Internet Pat Enhancer

That’s brilliance.

We're "meeting" the Injustice Society at a snail's pace.They are convincingly menacing.

It can be jarring when The CW inserts commercials into a show not designed for them. Sometimes they're in the middle of a conversation.

Courtney had an existing relationship with Pat/Stripesy. It's going to be a stretch to get the other kids to take over the Dr Midnight, Hourman and Wildcat identities, unless they all have parents or parental figures who used to be the characters (and I think they already said that Hourman was dead.. 

I've really been enjoying this series so far, but, it does feel disconnected from the rest of the Arrowverse. Even within the show itself, there are twilight zone elements. It seems as if only the principal charactors acknowledge the existence of superheros, past or present; although, this could be a plot point. All in all this show is a fun, albeit light hearted, ride.

They established that this is a different Earth, so nothing has to necessarily fit with the other shows, all of which are now on a single Earth.

We are enjoying it, too. You make a good point that no one except the heroes and villains seems to remember any heroes.

I think I'm enjoying this show because it is disconnected from the Arrowverse, not only in continuity but in real time. Watching three super-hero shows feels like a huge time-suck, but one is about right.

I finally figured out the guy who plays Pat also played Casey Kelso on That '70s Show.

So, that's where I saw "Pat" before.

More and more I'm convinced the lack of knowledge regarding superheros is a plot point; or rather, I'm hoping it is. Why:

Does anyone remember the TV series sequel to the 1953 War of the Worlds movie? Granted, it was purposely campy; but, it also took the "everyone just forgot" route to very poor effect ( As I recall, everyone really did just forget the invasion).

That was so dumb, it killed the series for me.

JohnD said:

Does anyone remember the TV series sequel to the 1953 War of the Worlds movie? Granted, it was purposely campy; but, it also took the "everyone just forgot" route to very poor effect ( As I recall, everyone really did just forget the invasion).

"The problem is, the public has a very short memory. Here's an example. How many people remember, a couple of years ago, when the Earth blew up? See? So few people remember. C'mon! You don't remember when the Earth blew up? And we escaped to this planet in the giant space ark? And the government decided not to tell the stupider people because they thought it might affect... Ooohhh."

(With apologies to Steve Martin)

This is the thing that Doctor Who does that drives me nuts - Earth has been invaded numberless times over the last fifty years - many times quite publicly - and yet characters still act surprised when they meet an alien.

I've just got to pretend those are similar, but different, timelines (as I do with James Bond). 

Only the Doctor can keep it straight.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service