Went to my LCS which is not so local to pick up this month's books. I read DCU: Legacies #4 and saw some obvious changes from the Post Crisis History of the DC Universe and the timeline from Zero Hour.

1) Cameo of Wonder Woman teaming with Wonder Girl taking on the Cheetah (the original Priscilla Rich, not the Post Crisis Barbara Minerva). While that's sweet, WW and WG didn't have that kind of partnership, not even in the Silver Age. Granted my WW collection is by no means complete, the ONLY time I can recall them together is from Adventure Comics # 461 (F'79) where they fought loser JLA villain Head-Mastermind.

But that's better than having a Wonder Girl with no inspiration, yet looking like a Wonder Woman yet to come. Maybe they will go back to her original origin as well!

2) Full page of super-villains have them looking very Silver Age except for Luthor and the Atomic Skull who are Post Crisis.

3) No Black Canary in the JLA, only her mother in the JSA.

4) Doom Patrol now come after JLA debuts instead of five years prior as per ZH. Their sacrifice is still poignant, dramatic and inspiring.

5) Wow, the first double Flash meeting is now so pedestrian. No dimensional travel, no city-trapped-in-statis-field. Just running into each other. The stuff of legends.

6) Johnny Thunder in a snazzy hat and trenchcoat. thought it was the Sandman.

7) the JLA can't battle the Wizard, the Icicle or the Fiddler? Hello, they defeated Felix Faust! Batman and the Flash already fought Mister Freeze and Captain Cold! Man, that Fiddler must be tough! Good thing they didn't bring out the Sportsmaster, too!

8) Wonder if they'll bring up the Katar Hol Hawkman?

9) Back-up: negates the wartime deaths of the Losers and Mlle. Marie. Will there be a "son of Rock" explainations for the various Post WWII Rock appearances? 

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob Staeger said:
Jeff of Earth-J said:
There was a Frank Rock in President Luthor's Cabinet.

Also Rock was in charge of the Suicide Squad in the Giffen revival, from around the same time. (Can't remember -- was he revealed to be an impostor, though?)

The ending to Giffen's Suicide Squad was pretty ambiguous - Rock disappeared in the final issue, leaving behind a latex mask somewhat similar to the ones worn by the Unknown Soldier. If I remember correctly, the final caption read "Frank Rock died in 1945".

As for the Hawks, which Philip mentioned in the first post, I'm betting that both Katar and Shayera are being removed from continuity entirely - which is a huge shame in my opinion, since I loved Hawkworld.
Thanks for the refresher, KS!
>> While that's sweet, WW and WG didn't have that kind of partnership, not even in the Silver Age.

I haven't been to the shop to see LEGACIES #4 yet, so I'm not sure what kind of partnership they show, so this may not be pertinent. But WW and WG teamed up quite often during the time when the Impossible Tales were a big deal in the early 1960s. WG even got her name in the title for a couple issues bigger than WW (#152-153).

All of their adventures took place on Paradise Island, of course, because WW didn't go off the island until she was grown up, and WG was just WW as a kid and didn't really exist. But I can see them taking enough artistic license to have them face Cheetah, who was far more iconic to WW than anybody they really did face. If nothing else, she makes a good action figure--and DC is soliciting a retro-Mego Cheetah figure this month. Coincidence or...something else?
Wait, wait, WAIT!!!

What's this about Frank Rock having a son with Mademoiselle Marie?

I know I'm going to regret hearing the answer, but ask I must -- WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

(This from a long-time Our Army at War featuring Sgt. Rock reader who, admittedly, hasn't kept up with Sgt. Rock's appearances outside the title ... )
Yes, there were the Impossible Wonder-Family stories but they were showing the Donna Troy WG teaming with WW like they were Batman & Robin, or at least Flash & Kid Flash. And you and I both know that never happened!

Mr. Silver Age said:
>> While that's sweet, WW and WG didn't have that kind of partnership, not even in the Silver Age.

I haven't been to the shop to see LEGACIES #4 yet, so I'm not sure what kind of partnership they show, so this may not be pertinent. But WW and WG teamed up quite often during the time when the Impossible Tales were a big deal in the early 1960s. WG even got her name in the title for a couple issues bigger than WW (#152-153).

All of their adventures took place on Paradise Island, of course, because WW didn't go off the island until she was grown up, and WG was just WW as a kid and didn't really exist. But I can see them taking enough artistic license to have them face Cheetah, who was far more iconic to WW than anybody they really did face. If nothing else, she makes a good action figure--and DC is soliciting a retro-Mego Cheetah figure this month. Coincidence or...something else?
I don't think you missed anything, it was in this issue where Marie shows up with her son, who's the spitting image of Rock. Given Marie's feelings for Rock, a liason between the two seemed a natural assumption to make.

ClarkKent_DC said:
Wait, wait, WAIT!!!

I know I'm going to regret hearing the answer, but ask I must -- WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

(This from a long-time Our Army at War featuring Sgt. Rock reader who, admittedly, hasn't kept up with Sgt. Rock's appearances outside the title ... )
>they were showing the Donna Troy WG teaming with WW like they were Batman & Robin, or at least Flash & Kid Flash. And you and I both know that never happened!br />

Ah. I figured there was more going on than I understood. There have been a number of places where they've tried to sort out all the problems of long continuities changing backstories. In this case, they actually are changing the story that happened in real time, which was nonsensical. Replacing WG with Donna Troy makes more sense than what they cobbled together on the fly once they realized WG didn't really exist.

I was glad to see WW restored as a founder of the JLA in the earlier issue. No doubt if Black Canary shows up, she'll be the daughter (or granddaughter?) right from the get-go. But, as noted with the double-Flash meeting, sometimes ironing out all the bumps makes for such a smooth ride that it's pretty boring.
ClarkKent_DC said:
Wait, wait, WAIT!!!

Well, you see, the Punisher and the Russian...
Entanglements aside, it was nice to finally see "the last shot of WWII" story. I've been reading for years that was always how Kubert (or Kanigher) wanted to end the series. I haven't exactly been following the post-cancellation appearences of Sgt. Rock very closely, but I don't recall seeing that sotry anywhere else before
Yeah, I don't think that's ever been canon before, just authorial intention. Good to see it nailed down!
Philip Portelli said:
I don't think you missed anything, it was in this issue where Marie shows up with her son, who's the spitting image of Rock. Given Marie's feelings for Rock, a liason between the two seemed a natural assumption to make.
ClarkKent_DC said:
Wait, wait, WAIT!!!

Oh, thanks.

See, this kind of stuff is exactly why Bob Kanigher posited that Rock and the Combat-Happy Joes of Easy Company were the last casualties of World War II, with Rock himself the last man killed, felled by the last shot fired. It was his protest against his characters* being misused by other hands.

However, Kanigher never actually got around to writing that story.

*Yeah, yeah, they're not really his, I know, but you know what I mean.
DneColt said:
Entanglements aside, it was nice to finally see "the last shot of WWII" story. I've been reading for years that was always how Kubert (or Kanigher) wanted to end the series. I haven't exactly been following the post-cancellation appearences of Sgt. Rock very closely, but I don't recall seeing that sotry anywhere else before

Rob Staeger said:
Yeah, I don't think that's ever been canon before, just authorial intention. Good to see it nailed down!

What? They actually wrote that story?

This is my day for surprises ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service