Over on  Newsarama, Matt Fraction said, "Sometimes I think Defenders was doomed the minute the word Defenders was put on the cover."  I'm curious what other people think.  Is the Defenders a title doomed to fail or is it just that Matt Fraction's Defenders were doomed to fail?

Views: 2675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas said:

Sal Buscema will always be _the_ Defenders artist to me.

I have to agree with you, there. I really can't picture the book under anyone else's hands.

I mostly enjoyed Kraft's run on the title, with the exception of how he handled the "dwarf with a gun" subplot. 

Gerber is without a doubt my favourite.

If forced to pick a second favourite, I'd go with Englehart, if only for the Avengers-Defenders war.

Border Mutt said:

Just out of curiosity, if everyone were to pick their favourite Defender's writer, how many would go with Gerber?

Personally, I would go with JM Demattis, but considering the 12 year old rule comes into play, I'm probably a little biased.  However, my second favourite run was by Busiek on a later series. 

What are everyone else's favourite two runs?

Randy Jackson said:

I mostly enjoyed Kraft's run on the title, with the exception of how he handled the "dwarf with a gun" subplot.

George Poague said:

If only all subplots could be resolved by having a truck run over someone! ;)

Actually, I can't blame the guy. The whole "dwarf with a gun" nonsense was just that -- nonsense, with no point, no purpose, no aim save a bit of whimsy on Steve Gerber's part because Sal Buscema asked for something different to draw. And the dwarf was Gerber's pet character. So if Dave Kraft was uninterested, sure, get rid of him. I don't fault him for that one bit.

What issues comprise the "dwarf with a gun" subplot?  

(And technically, doesn't that deserve a SPOILER ALERT?)

Issue #46 is the last (original) Elf with a Gun appearance.

Yeah, the elf with the gun did come back in the 120s and he even got a change of clothes and showed up in DC's Countdown to Mystery #8.

Anyone else remember elf sightings after the treadmarks?

Elf with a Gun on Wikipedia

Moderator John Dunbar here.

I have deleted 23 posts from this thread.  This was done because the posts violated our Number One Rule - "No Personal Attacks", or quoted posts that violated the rule.  Posts from 6 different members were deleted.

As a reminder for everyone, the rule of "No Personal Attacks" covers comments about fellow posters, comics professionals, entertainers, everyone.  If one poster breaks this rule, this does not give another poster immunity from breaking the rule in response. 

Flame wars will not be tolerated.

Anyone with further questions may send me an email.

On behalf of the moderating team,

John Dunbar

Just to be clear, when John says "On behalf of the moderating team," he's being accurate and not just saying that and acting without our knowledge.

The Moderators have discussed this growing problem probably at too much length. We agree that we've let these feuds and attacks go on too long, because we figured people would get it out of their system and move on. But they keep happening.

We can't edit messages to snip out the offending sections. So if an attack is even a small part of a message, the entire message will be deleted, even if later ones refer to something else in that post. Ideally, that will make it clear where someone is stepping over the line if they don't see the line themselves. Hopefully, that will end the trend.

As with John, you can email me, or any of the moderators, with any questions.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service