At the D23 Expo, Disney has outlined the specifics of its Avengers Themed Park, which it announced some time ago. The addition to the California park will open in 2020, and similar operations will open elsewhere in the world. The Avengers will have to skip over Walt Disney World in Florida, since Universal owns the rights to using those characters in parks on that coast.

I know a lot of money has gone into this concepts, but I cannot help but think it's trying to hard to immerse you in one "real" corner of the MCU, instead of, you know, recreating highlights of the Marvel Universe, the way that Frontierland revisited bits and pieces of the 1800s or Tomorrowland doled out various pieces of possible futures.

What do you guys think?

And what would be in your Super-park?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This link provides better information.

• "And what would be in your Super-park?"

New York City is my "super-park."

• I went to Disneyland in July to see the Star Wars Edge of the Galaxy park.  If the Marvel is anything like it is it will be tiny and just a place to purchase swag. 

• Not sure how big it is. As I noted in my Anything, Everything post, it and the Guardians of the Galaxy ride will be in Disney's California Adventure. Star Wars Land is in the original Disneyland next door (separate theme park.separate admission).

Mike Parnell said:

I went to Disneyland in July to see the Star Wars Edge of the Galaxy park.  If the Marvel is anything like it is it will be tiny and just a place to purchase swag. 

• This should be noted: Spider-Man will be included in the Disney theme parks, because while Sony has the movie rights to the wall-crawler, Disney still owns the merchandising rights. 

• I've never been to Universal in Florida, but many years ago I was intrigued by a commercial showing part of a battle between Spidey and Doc Ock. It looked like fully animated John Romita.

According to one of the articles, Universal has the rights to Spidey for theme park purposes in Florida, so Disney won't be doing a "Marvel Land" at Disneyworld.

• Richard Willis said:

I've never been to Universal in Florida, but many years ago I was intrigued by a commercial showing part of a battle between Spidey and Doc Ock. It looked like fully animated John Romita.

According to one of the articles, Universal has the rights to Spidey for theme park purposes in Florida, so Disney won't be doing a "Marvel Land" at Disneyworld.

Before Marvel got into the movie business -- let alone before it got bought up by Disney -- it sold off rights to its characters to several other movie studios and theme parks. Now that Marvel is in the movie business (and is owned by Disney), it certainly wants those characters back, but isn't going to give away the store to get them.

Marvel got some characters back as deals expired (if I recall, Ghost Rider, Namor and Daredevil, to name a few), and got others when Fox put many of its pieces up for sale (the Fantastic Four, the X-Men). But as we know, Sony is hanging on to Spider-Man for dear life. Universal has The Hulk, and part of the reason it keeps him -- and doesn't seem interested in making more Hulk movies -- is to keep using The Hulk at its theme parks

• I have been on the Spiderman ride at Universal.  This was over 20 years ago.  At the time I thought it was great. 

Mark Evanier dealt with Marvel's selling off characters in this post: https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/08/22/ask-me-67/

• I've read that if Sony fails to make a Spider-Man standalone movie in a six-year period, the rights will revert to Marvel/Disney. I don't know if it's true, but it would explain the rush to make Amazing Spider-Man so quickly after Spider-Man 3.

That deal was the case with Daredevil and Ghost Rider, both of whom were lodged elsewhere, but  reverted to Marvel when they went fallow. And, of course, we know about FF and X-Men returning to the fold.

Currently Universal has the distribution rights to the Hulk, meaning that Marvel has no interest in making a Hulk movie, since they only have the merchandising rights and Universal would make all the box office money. Sort of like the Spider-Man deal with Sony, where Sony made the billion bucks from Far from Home and Marvel had to settle for the merch money after actually making the movie -- which we are told is why they wanted to re-negotiate the deal. Anyway, the Hulk deal extends to related characters -- again, like Sony's Spider-Man deal -- so Marvel isn't going to make a She-Hulk movie. Which may explain the She-Hulk show recently announced for Disney+!

I am 99% sure this is the same deal with Sub-Mariner, again with Universal. So don't look for a Subby standalone movie. However there rumors that he will be a new baddie/anti-hero in Black Panther 2, and may appear in other movies as well -- much like the Hulk, who only shows up in an ensemble (Avengers) or as a guest star (Thor: Ragnarok).

Or maybe none of this is true. But it's what I've read here and there.

This reply was deleted.