Divas, Dames and Daredevils, Lost heroines of the golden age

I spotted this book in Previews and I'm thinking of getting it, but the 16.95 is a bit much, especially with the Phantom Lady and Miss Fury books in there. Anyone know if this is a good book to get?

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maureen Marine? That's hilarious. I'm in love!

"Pussy Catnip"? How did they ever get away with that name? Gale Allen and the Girl Squadron... The name Gale Allen sounds familiar somehow. Or maybe I'm thinking of Dale Arden.

I don't think the word had quite the connotations in the 1940's as it does now.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

"Pussy Catnip"? How did they ever get away with that name? Gale Allen and the Girl Squadron... The name Gale Allen sounds familiar somehow. Or maybe I'm thinking of Dale Arden.

Thanks for the updated information and links - off to look now.  Sounds like this is a great anthology.

In case any one doesn't know, Diana The Huntress - shown in Tod Davies' link - is an early Marston character from a comic strip pre-dating Wonder Woman.

Andy

There are enough Tarpé Mills Miss Fury Sundays to fill three hardcover volumes. When IDW started to collect them last year, they decided to start with the strongest material, comprising the middle years, 1944-1949. Reportedly the quality of the stip began to decline after that, but recently, IDW released a second volume in the series, comprising 1941-1944.

I liked the first volume (the first volume released, that is), but by that point, the characters and relationships had already been established and it was a little hard, coming in in the middle, to pick up on the complex inter-relationships. I found the second volume (of chronologically earlier material) to be more satisfying for that reason.

NO time for a full-blown review now, but as soon as I finish reading 1941-1944 I plan to read 1944-1949 a second time.

It was out?  Funny my lcs didn't mention it.  I'll have to check next week.

Yep, it's out. I finished reading it over the weekend. If you read and enjoyed the previous volume (of later material), you should enjoy this second volume (or earlier material).

Thought you all might be amused by Mike Madrid's slideshow of Badass Superheroines on The Huffington Post...cheers!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-madrid/most-badass-comic-book-he...

Nice! Thanks, Tod!

Funny, my LCS still hasn't got this yet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service