Doctor Who Paperbacks

Almost every Doctor Who serial of the original series has its own paperback adaptation. I never thought too much about obtaining them all, but then one day, BAM! Instant collection! (Thanks, Tim!) Suddenly, owning a complete collection was an obtainable goal. Since then, although I haven’t gone online to search, I’ve kept my eyes peeled at local used bookstores but have become convinced it’s all a matter of timing. Very few Doctor Who paperback collections are brought it for sale or trade, and when they are it becomes a matter of finding them before someone else does. I have found two bumper crops, though, most recently this past weekend. While updating my checklist I was surprised to discover that I now own all of the Fourth Doctor paperbacks and am very close to owning all of Fifth and Sixth Doctor ones as well. I’m most interested in the paperbacks of the First and Second Doctors, especially those adapting “lost” episodes, but I will buy or trade for anything on this list. Let me now if you have any to sell or trade, and feel free to post your own wants as well.

JEFF’S DOCTOR WHO WANT LIST: Nothing, absolutely nothing.Nothing to see here. Move along.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Every Doctor Who serial of the original series has its own paperback adaptation.

Incorrect, I think - I'm not sure that the Davison and C. Baker Dalek stories were never novelized, I'm almost certain that the Douglas Adams Fourth Doctor stories were not..
  • A Wikipedia page here has a list of exceptions. Jeff might want to note its information about the novelisations of unproduced scripts intended for season 23 before the show was put on hiatus (I haven't seen these and had forgotten they were done). The book version of The St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre one was simply The Massacre.
  • OK, so the ones I haven't seen are the "unlicensed" ones.
  • In the present issue of Previews, several novelizations have been re-released. I don't have it with me but your LCS should be able to help you. There are also several now being read on CD including the novelization of Robot read by Tom Baker.
  • ...OTTOMH , only the Douglas Adams (including one co-written by him , pseudonymously) Who stories , of BBC broadcast episodes , haven't been Target-ed , hah , hah !!!!!!!!!

I think the Who adaptations tend to be generically referred to as " Targets " , after the British company that issued most?? of them originally in the 70s/80s , and , from when I bought DWM , it appears that many of them are still more common than the later reissues on Virgin , though those are what I bought in the 90s , as dealers in DWM still offer a fair amount of Target printings seemingly relatively cheaply , IIRC .

Technically speaking , I guess the Target Whos were never , officially , issued in America , as I suppose the pre-globalization concept of " different companies on either side of the puddle " still applied then...About the time I was becoming a Who fan , the Who paperbacks were still from the Lyle Stuart company in America , though it's possible that by then they just put a LS sticker upon a Target pressing??

• ...I recall the two 2nd Doctor Dalek stories having extra-length paperback , outside of the " normal " adaptation series , issued fairly late in the day...I guess I'll just go check Wiki to see whether I'm right , but I believe that they are both lost/wiped stories , making it more complicated...And , Terry Nation had a good lawyer !!!!!!!!! ( Especially when you consider that the VISUAL appeal of the Daleks , most/a lot of what made them appealing , came more or less 100% from salried BBC employee Raymond Cusak's design for those " killer pepperpots " ( "That more British usage ? " Salt & pepper shakers " more Yank ?? ) )
  • ...I believe that well into the Eighties the Target novelisations would come out first in a flimsy sort of hardcover before they came out in standard mass-market paperback , what I think of as " dime-store hardcover children's section " , the type of smaller-than-normal hardcover that Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books and the like used to , at least , come out in , with binding boards rather thinner and more flimsy than on a " proper " HC novel .
  • You are correct. I actually have the full set of novelizations although I am missing 2 stories from the sixth Doctor's unmade season. Power of the Daleks and I believe Evil of the Daleks came out around about 2000. I also managed to pick up the Fox TV movie novelization. I don't recall & won't be able to check until the weekend if I have one for Shada or even if there ever WAS a novelization for Shada. As far as the American novelizations, I don't think there were that many releases but they were memorable for the preface by Harlan Ellison.

• John Moret said:
    You are correct. I actually have the full set of novelizations although I am missing 2 stories from the sixth Doctor's unmade season. Power of the Daleks and I believe Evil of the Daleks came out around about 2000. I also managed to pick up the Fox TV movie novelization. I don't recall & won't be able to check until the weekend if I have one for Shada or even if there ever WAS a novelization for Shada. As far as the American novelizations, I don't think there were that many releases but they were memorable for the preface by Harlan Ellison.
    ..." Correct " on the flimsy hardcovers ?
      The first-generation American series w/the Ellison issues were before my time ( And were packaged a little more like " real " series paperback novels , anyway , with less of a " TV spinoff/series " look to them . ) , though I maybe got one , so I avoided mentioning them .
      I do believe Lyle Stuart put own Yank editions for a while .
  • ,,,Shada did have a VHS issued , I had it...That played around with the " Is it an official story?? " question by having it introduced by Tom Baker...as himself , not the Doctor !!!!!!!!!

I have read that , in old-school Doctor Who fandom , a version of what was filmed for Shada was shown at some conventions , minus the Baker material filmed for that video . I'm told it would have words on screen againsta color backdrop , telling you what would have been seen there if comething had been filmed !

This reply was deleted.