Doctor Who Reactions:

Only episode two of this six-parter exists in the BBC vaults. It is available on the “Lost in Time” set but it’s nice to be able to at least hear the rest of the story, which begins when the TARDIS materializes on a Himalayan mountainside in 1935. Nearby is a monastery, which the Doctor is delighted to learn he visited 300 years before. The monks and lamas are divided by conflict and the monastery is under attack, apparently by the legendary Yeti.

The Doctor is surprised to learn that the High Lama he knew in the 17th century is still alive. Also on the scene is Edward Travers, an explorer determined to track down, capture and prove the existence of the Yeti. When Travers colleague is killed, he blames the Doctor. the Doctor soon learns that the Yeti aren’t living creatures at all, but rather they are robots controlled by the disembodied intelligence which has kept the High Lama alive all these years.

The good news is this story spawned a sequel.
The bad news is, “The Web of Fear” is almost entirely missing.
The good news is, it will be on the next set of audios.
The bad news is, who knows when that will be released?
The good news is, episode one (of six) is on “Lost in Time” in the meantime.

The story ends with the following exchange between the Doctor and Jamie:

“What’s the matter with you? Are you cold or something?”

“Well, it’s all right for you with your home made Yeti kit” (referring to the Doctor’s fur coat).

“Yes, a suppose there is a bit of a nip in the air.”

“‘A nip’? ‘A nip’! Just look at my knees! They’re bright blue! Can you not land us somewhere warmer next time?”

“Well, Jamie, you never know.”

NEXT: The Ice Warriors (Sorry, Jamie.)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is this the one with the "Jamie has an idea" line in it?

• It is. In one scene, The Doctor quips, "Victoria, I think this is one of those instances where discretion is the better part of valor: Jamie has an idea."

• Watched Episode 2 this morning. Not much to add, except that the Yeti looks and moves almost exactly like a heavily-furred version of the Grimace from McDonaldland.

• This story is to be animated.  I suppose they'll animate all the missing ones, eventually.

This reply was deleted.