"The Magician's Apprentice"

1)The realization of the Thal/Kaled battlefield was well-done, I think.  The hand mines were creepy and goofy at the same time.  It was pretty clear that what they're doing is re-visiting the old "Could you kill Baby Hitler?" conundrum.

2)Nice to see the Shadow Proclamation and Karn again.

3)I got a real "Ssh, Grandpa's sleeping!" vibe from Old Davros.

4)The "Doctor as Guitar God" bit was amusing, but didn't really serve the story well. It felt a bit like an indulgence for Capaldi, like the endless chase scene that Barry Letts put into "Planet of the Spiders" to amuse Jon Pertwee.

5)Missy was OK in this.  A bit over-the-top, but then that seems to be her gimmick. Dunno what she thought she was doing, offering the TARDIS to the Daleks. They've already mastered time travel, the don't need her, or an old model like the Doctor's. Having recently re-watched a bunch of Pertwee/Delgado stories, it is interesting to consider whether what she and the Doctor have could somehow be considered a "friendship"  .

6)Lots of callbacks to previous stories in here, particularly "Genesis of the Daleks".  Always glad to hear McCoy's "unlimited rice pudding" line again.  Dunno what the reasoning was for the mixture of old and new Daleks was. I hope it's something better than, "Hey, let's amortize these props".

7)I don't for a minute believe that Clara, Missy or the TARDIS are dead. My feeling is that much, if not all, of what we see in this episode isn't "real".  I suspect a scam. 

8)Cliffhanger: The Doctor sure looks like he's about to shoot Boy Davros!

Overall: I enjoyed this, mostly. It's hard to judge it unlit I've seen the conclusion. For the same reason, I won't address the apparent hash this makes of Dalek continuity until I've seen how much of what was presented here actually happened the way it was shown.

"The Witch's Familiar"

1)"We, on the other hand, have a pointy stick."

2)I like the bit with the Doctor stealing Davros' chair. His comeuppance was creepy, too.

3)Watching Missy abuse Clara was entertaining, too.

4)Her daughter?

5)"The only other chair on SKaro."

6)Has he permanently given up screwdriver? Surely they make too much money selling toy screwdrivers for that?

7)"I came because you're sick and you asked."

8)There's Clara in  a Dalek again.

9)"I love you." "Exterminate."  I've seen relationships like that.

10)I like the way  they've replicated Ray Cusick's designs for the Dalek city.  Still no explanation  for what  all those old Daleks are doing there.

11)"Am I a good man?"

12)The Doctor and Davros sharing a laugh reminded me of the scene with Batman and the Joker sharing a laugh at the end  of The Killing Joke.

13)And Missy gives Davros an eye-poke. If only they'd added in a Three Stooges "plink" sound.

14)I knew Davros was playing the Doctor, I should have guessed the Doctor was playing Davros.

15)A Dalek said "Mercy" before, to River Song, in "The Big Bang". I don't buy that they can't say certain words. What if they need to lie to someone, do they have to be reprogrammed?

16)"Dalek Supreme, your sewers are revolting."

17)Not liking the sonic shades.

Overall:  That was a pretty good wrap-up, only creaky in one or two places. I"m liking where they're going with Capaldi, and Gomez is really growing on me as Missy.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 2) I loved the scene with The Sisterhood of Karn. 

4) Absolutely agree! 

The hand mines and Colony Sarff was the stuff of nightmares. 

• Hasn't every version of the Master been over the top?  The incarnation just before "Missy" was practically the Joker, and I thought Eric Roberts' defining moment as the character was when he suddenly appeared in full Time Lord regalia and announced "I always dress for the occasion!"

• Dave Elyea said:

Hasn't every version of the Master been over the top?  The incarnation just before "Missy" was practically the Joker, and I thought Eric Roberts' defining moment as the character was when he suddenly appeared in full Time Lord regalia and announced "I always dress for the occasion!"

I think it really started with Ainley. Delgado was a bit more restrained, I think.

• Delgado captured the friendship best.
  • If people could regenerate, wouldn't some friends "kill" others just for fun?

• Eric Roberts was so far over the top, he was half way down the next valley. I think the way that Missy was done in this episode is part of the set up for her as the new companion that has been discussed. Still a psychotic killer but The Doctor is taking her on in part out of old friendship but also in part to keep her from destroying the Universe on a quiet Sunday afternoon to help pass the time.

Dave Elyea said:

Hasn't every version of the Master been over the top?  The incarnation just before "Missy" was practically the Joker, and I thought Eric Roberts' defining moment as the character was when he suddenly appeared in full Time Lord regalia and announced "I always dress for the occasion!"

• Wouldn't having Missy on-screen that much (as a companion) make it harder to keep avoiding the question of just what happened with the rest of the Time Lords?  They must have had something to do with her getting access to another Tardis (the Master hasn't had one of his own since his Dr. Yana incarnation), but clearly the Powers That Be don't want them underfoot despite the Doctor saying that he had to find out where they went after he saved them.

• For a series with such a long history, Doctor Who displays at times an appalling lack of continuity. This episode is a good example of that, not only with the Daleks but with the new spin put on the Doctor/Master relationship as well. Not only that, but the main character’s backstory has been contradictorily tweaked from time to time. On the one hand, that’s the nature of a “legend.” On the same hand, I suppose the prevailing thought is not to let continuity stand in the way of a good story.

(There was a GrimJack story or two in which electric guitars were used as weapons.)

• Updated for "The Witch's Familiar".

• 10)I like the way  they've replicated Ray Cusick's designs for the Dalek city.  Still no explanation  for what  all those old Daleks are doing there.

Davros likes to have a complete set?

I'm kind of over lines like "I'm the Doctor.  Just accept it."  At first they seem funny and fun, but at some point they just seem like an excuse to do any old thing you want and then wiseass your way out of even trying to explain it.

I'm liking Missy too, but I suspect that Missy is best in small doses.  Like spice in your food, there's a fine line between enhancing your experience and making the dish inedible.  Like ... oh, I dunno ... going back to the Dalek well way too often.

Also ... get off my lawn! 

This reply was deleted.