Dollhouse is my first “real time” Joss Whedon show. I turned my nose up at Buffy the Vampire Slayer the entire time it was on the air (and only recently deigned to watch it for the first time on DVD), and I didn’t learn about Firefly until it was already a thing of the past. When I first started watching Dollhouse I thought it was a poor substitute for Firefly, and frankly would not have watched beyond the first couple of episodes except my wife liked it. I not only didn’t like it, I actively disliked it through most of the first season.

Something happened near the end of the first season, though, that caused me to reassess my opinion. Then the show went on break for the summer and I forgot what that was. I do remember thinking of the entire first season as set up, a“season zero” if you will, and was willing to watch the new season with fresh eyes. Unfortunately, the new season has had to start at ground zero as far as I am concerned and has yet to “re-win” me over.

The main problem for me is that show has no sympathetic characters… not one. The people who run the Dollhouse are totally amoral, and the “dolls” are simply victims, more pathetic than sympathetic. That’s a huge challenger to overcome, but I’m curious to see Whedon and company try. The people who run the Dollhouse are totally amoral, and the “dolls” are simply victims, more pathetic than sympathetic. Dr. Saunders (i.e., the doll formerly known as “Whiskey”) and her relationship with Topher was intriguing, but she’s been written out of the plot (at least temporarily).

Oddly, I think Topher Brink, the most amoral character of them all, may be my current favorite. Joss Whedon surprised me once before by turning the vampire Spike into a sympathetic character on Buffy, and I think Topher may be Dollhouse’s Spike. I’ll be keeping my eye on him.

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:
BUT... what if Boyd isn't an "evil mastermind" after all, a twist within a twist.

So much for that theory! He's just bug-nuts!

I had a problem with this show from the very beginning precisely because Joss Whedon did such a good job of making the Dollhouse organization so very wrong. Now, surprisingly, I find myself looking forward to someday watching the entire series a second time start to finish at my own pace (now that I know what's coming), looking for clues and whatnot laid along the way I may have missed the first time.

This week: We jump 10 years into the future!
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Jeff of Earth-J said:
BUT... what if Boyd isn't an "evil mastermind" after all, a twist within a twist.

So much for that theory! He's just bug-nuts!

I had a problem with this show from the very beginning precisely because Joss Whedon did such a good job of making the Dollhouse organization so very wrong. Now, surprisingly, I find myself looking forward to someday watching the entire series a second time start to finish at my own pace (now that I know what's coming), looking for clues and whatnot laid along the way I may have missed the first time.

This week: We jump 10 years into the future!

Actually, we'll see that episode next week (the 29th) because of the Haiti benefit simulcast on all the major networks...and the CW :P. (Which also postpones the JSA episode of Smallville, btw.)

If you get a chance, check out the unaired pilot that is a special feature on the fourth disc of the DVD set. It addresses the moral ambiguity/immorality of the Dollhouse from the get-go, which would have made me feel better about the show from the beginning. It also showed a lot of cards that were slowly played over the course of the first half of the first season. 'Twould have been a very different show had the series proceeded from the original pilot.
That sounds interesting. I have little doubt we'll get around to it someday... after Angel, after Torchwood and after Lost.
So that’s it: The End.

Here’s what I thought the deal was. I thought there was going to be one episode set 10 years in the future to cap the series off, and that that episode was to air January 23. Then the telethon for Haiti relief pushed it off to January 29. (It wouldn’t have made any difference, anyway, because our satellite went out that week and we didn’t have a replacement by the 22nd, pre-empted or not.) But we watched Friday’s episode last night and we definitely missed something! No big deal. We had already decided to watch this series again (one of these years) on DVD, even before Matt pointed out that the unaired pilot addresses the “moral ambiguity/immorality of the Dollhouse from the get-go.”

Oh, well… what’s past is past. I’m looking to the future. Someone posted that Whedon’s next project is already in the works and would be announced after Dollhouse came to an end. Any word on what that is going to be?
Jeff of Earth-J said:
So that’s it: The End.
Here’s what I thought the deal was. I thought there was going to be one episode set 10 years in the future to cap the series off, and that that episode was to air January 23. Then the telethon for Haiti relief pushed it off to January 29. (It wouldn’t have made any difference, anyway, because our satellite went out that week and we didn’t have a replacement by the 22nd, pre-empted or not.) But we watched Friday’s episode last night and we definitely missed something! No big deal. We had already decided to watch this series again (one of these years) on DVD, even before Matt pointed out that the unaired pilot addresses the “moral ambiguity/immorality of the Dollhouse from the get-go.”

Well, you did miss something, but not because it aired and you didn't see it.

The first 10-years-later episode, "Epitaph", was the last episode of season one, but because of the hoo-haw folderol with Fox, that episode was never aired; it's only available on the DVD set of season one. This episode, "Epitaph 2: Return", follows up on the previous "Epitaph" episode, and the stuff that was in the previouslies on this one came from that.

Yes, it's kind of sucky that things played out that way, but I think they're banking on a majority of the fans at this point coming to the series through the DVD sets, and probably a good contingent of the current fans having seen "Epitaph", also, so the few people who didn't get that are a small enough base to not worrying about alienating (especially with a cancelled show).
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Oh, well… what’s past is past. I’m looking to the future. Someone posted that Whedon’s next project is already in the works and would be announced after Dollhouse came to an end. Any word on what that is going to be?

There aren't any real details yet, but the word going around the 'net is that Joss has been meeting with executives from the FX network.
Yeah, I've heard that he's exploring the cable option. I'd almost rather see him work with Showtime...

KSwolf said:
Jeff of Earth-J said:

There aren't any real details yet, but the word going around the 'net is that Joss has been meeting with executives from the FX network.
Thanks for explaining that to me, Alan! I knew the season one DVD set had an unaired episode in addition to the pilot, but I didn't know it was another "future" episode. We bought the season one DVD set, BTV, and plan to watch the pilot episode tonight, so you can look for my comments here tomorrow.
UNAIRED PILOT:

Why, oh why, did they choose to not air this episode (or one very like it)? Tracy (who paid much closer attention to those early episodes than I did) tells me several scenes (one in particular) contradict what was eventually aired, but nevertheless they could have worked a lot of this into a better first (and second and third) episode than the one actually aired, or better yet, written those early episodes to more closely follow the pilot. If they had done so, I could have enjoyed the premise from the very first episode, rather than waiting ¾ of the first season for the show to win me over.
Blame ever meddling FOX...who didn't like the initial pilot and pressured Joss into reworking things.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
UNAIRED PILOT:

Why, oh why, did they choose to not air this episode (or one very like it)? Tracy (who paid much closer attention to those early episodes than I did) tells me several scenes (one in particular) contradict what was eventually aired, but nevertheless they could have worked a lot of this into a better first (and second and third) episode than the one actually aired, or better yet, written those early episodes to more closely follow the pilot. If they had done so, I could have enjoyed the premise from the very first episode, rather than waiting ¾ of the first season for the show to win me over.
Yeah, I might have guessed.
I think I've said this before, but I actually agree with Fox on that call. The unaired pilot might've been the better story than the pilot they eventually went with, but I don't think Fox is wrong that it was a little off-putting/inaccessible for a new viewer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service