DC UNIVERSE DIGITAL SERVICE GREENLIGHTS NEXT ORIGINAL SERIES DOOM PATROL

Live-Action Drama from Berlanti Production to Debut in 2019

We are pleased to announce today that the upcoming DC Universe digital service has ordered its next original series, the one-hour live-action drama DOOM PATROL, from executive producers Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns, Jeremy Carver and Sarah Schechter.

DOOM PATROL will begin production this year for a 2019 debut on DC Universe.

Artwork is attached, and project info is below. Thanks for your consideration, as always, and please advise if you have any questions.

DOOM PATROL

Network: DC Universe digital service, operated by Warner Bros. Digital Networks
Auspices: Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television
Order: Direct-to-Series Order, 13 Episodes
Format: One-hour drama
Executive Producers: Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns, Jeremy Carver, Sarah Schechter
Written by Jeremy Carver
Based on DC characters originally written and drawn by Arnold Drake, Bob Haney and Bruno Premiani
Logline: DOOM PATROL is a re-imagining of one of DC’s most beloved group of outcast Super Heroes: Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Girl and Crazy Jane, led by modern-day mad scientist Dr. Niles Caulder (The Chief). The Doom Patrol's members each suffered horrible accidents that gave them superhuman abilities — but also left them scarred and disfigured. Traumatized and downtrodden, the team found purpose through The Chief, who brought them together to investigate the weirdest phenomena in existence — and to protect Earth from what they find. Part support group, part Super Hero team, the Doom Patrol is a band of super-powered freaks who fight for a world that wants nothing to do with them. Picking up after the events of TITANS, DOOM PATROL will find these reluctant heroes in a place they never expected to be, called to action by none other than Cyborg, who comes to them with a mission hard to refuse, but with a warning that is hard to ignore: their lives will never, ever be the same.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Who else is watching? The first season was excellent, a great mix of acting/characters and bat-guano crazy comicbookness. The second season looks like it will be equally strong.

Is there a thread elsewhere I'm missing?

• I haven't watched it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Not sure if it's available on any streaming services I get yet, but season 1 is on DVD, so I'll see it eventually.

• I watched a lot of season one. It was...weird. Unfortunately I also found it a little too dreary for my tastes. I do agree the performers were spot on. 

JD DeLuzio said:

Who else is watching? The first season was excellent, a great mix of acting/characters and bat-guano crazy comicbookness. The second season looks like it will be equally strong.

Is there a thread elsewhere I'm missing?

• I finally saw season 1 on DVD, which I purchased because the DP is one of my favorite Silver Age groups. It's a very good show, even though it has little in common with the Silver Age comic I loved. I haven't seen a compelling reason to subscribed to the DC Universe streaming service so far, and will probably get season 2 on DVD also.

• I'm watching now... five episodes in, so I've seen everything up to the staring contest between the De-Creator and the Re-Creator. It's my latest series that I only let myself watch while I'm exercising -- I'll probably  watch the full first season before taking a break and going to something a little more grounded. 

I'm really liking it so far -- all the characters seem spot-on, and the inclusion of Cyborg is a great touch. This show really drips with the work of Morrison and Case. 

• I'm watching it this week: checked out the DVD set from the library, so I have a week to get them all in. Watched the first three episodes last night. I like it a lot. I agree about Morrison and Case (the only run of the comic I'm familiar with), although the credits only mention Arnold Drake, Bob Haney and Bruno Premian, the original creators.

• I think the tendency is to credit the original creators (of the first four characters) even though several other characters were created by others. This is consistent with the way they credit the Superman/Supergirl/Batman shows even though many other characters are included who weren't created by them.

Did they ever credit Mort Weisinger for creating Green Arrow?

• I don't have cable/satellite connections and limit my streaming to NetFlix.  With work and so much else to keep me occupied, I'm just not inclined to pay for various channels I might rarely if ever watch.  Still, I wanted to check out this series so finally got the DVDs of seasons 1 & 2 a few weeks ago.  Finished watching the 1st season last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Certainly not typical tv superhero fare, although over the last few years, with series such as The Boys and Invincible (which I've watched with friends who do have cable!), a greater darkness has been creeping in.  There's certainly plenty of darkness in Doom Patrol, but also some whimsy and humor and even a bit of heart and the main characters are shown going through psychological growth.  So far, I've only ever read Morrison's run on the series --- and excerpts from Arnold Drake's run, and clearly this series is strongly but not solely influenced by Morrison's run.  The various changes in timelines and abilities of the characters from the comics work for me.  Initially, I was puzzled by the flashbacks to previous decades showing the Chief always remaining the same age and was glad there was an explanation that was integral to the series and even the rational for the very creation of the Doom Patrol.  

• I wound up subscribing to HBOmax, so only bought the DVD for season one. I got halfway through season 2 before being distracted by other shows. Will get back to it.

You don't need cable, just the WiFi you are using to watch Netflix.

Richard Willis said:

I finally saw season 1 on DVD, which I purchased because the DP is one of my favorite Silver Age groups. It's a very good show, even though it has little in common with the Silver Age comic I loved. I haven't seen a compelling reason to subscribed to the DC Universe streaming service so far, and will probably get season 2 on DVD also.

• Fred W. Hill said:

So far, I've only ever read Morrison's run on the series --- and excerpts from Arnold Drake's run, and clearly this series is strongly but not solely influenced by Morrison's run.  The various changes in timelines and abilities of the characters from the comics work for me.  Initially, I was puzzled by the flashbacks to previous decades showing the Chief always remaining the same age and was glad there was an explanation that was integral to the series and even the rational for the very creation of the Doom Patrol.  

Your analysis is spot on, Fred -- "Doom Patrol" very much draws on the Morrison period. And yet, a lot of the visuals go back to Bruno Premiani's work on the '60s Doom Patrol, and the original team (Chief, Robotman, Elasti-Girl and Negative Man) are all part of the series, as are the Brotherhood of Evil (The Brain, M'sieu Mallah, Garguax, Madame Rouge).

Meanwhile, the characters that came after the original group in the Paul Kupperberg "middle period" between Silver Age and Grant Morrison, have been depicted as the first team instead of the second team, and are therefore acknowledged but essentially written out of the series. Which is good, because nobody liked them. They include Celsius (Caulder's "wife"), Tempest (Joshua Clay, now the doctor taking care of the first team) and Lodestone (Rhea Jones). The other "middle period" characters, Karma and Scorch, seem to have been replaced by Steve Dayton/Mento, who was actually a supporting character in the first series (and Rita's husband).

If you don't know already, I'll mention that the final episode of Season 2 was postponed by COVID and became the first episode of Season 3. It works -- Season 2 ends on a nice cliffhanger -- but it doesn't work for Season 3, where you see all the loose ends of Season 2 tied up in the first episode but then a new storyine begins in the second episode (which should have been the first episode).

It being "Doom Patrol," though, I didn't mind. I'm there for the gob-smacking weirdness.

This reply was deleted.