Some of us have probably seen the Doomsday Clock Ashcan that’s been circulating around the internet for the past few days. I've really been looking forward to this, as the integration of the Watchmen Universe into the DCU is the thing that most interested me about Rebirth.  The actual Doomsday Clock maxi-series is still a couple months out but I thought I would go ahead and set up a spoiler thread for it and post a few comments on the preview. If you haven’t read the ashcan you can access it here.  I’ll leave a little bit of spoiler space before commenting.

Doomsday Clock Ashcan Edition

The issue starts off with a scene that’s very reminiscent of the original Watchmen maxi-series. It’s not a 9 panel grid, but it’s similar in style and tone. Gary Frank gives us dystopic scenes of chaos in the streets as Geoff Johns provides narration in a style that’s designed to mimic Rorschach’s narration in Watchmen. But, the year is 1992 and if this is the world of Watchmen, Rorschach would be dead. Right? 

Johns tries to add some political overtones to the narration. Painting both left and right wing perspectives in an extreme way.  I found this a little clumsy but it gets the message across.  The political climate seems to have deteriorated since we last visited the world of Watchmen.  Johns seems to want to reference the current divisiveness in real world politics.  In the original Watchmen, the Comedian tells us the American Dream came true. In this story we learn that this is the “American Nightmare.”  The world is in chaos and on the brink of war.  Why?  What triggered all of this?

Well, apparently Ozymandias’ plot to unite the world hasn’t actually worked out after all. Indications are that Rorschach’s journal has been found and published and this has thrown the world into complete chaos.  Adrian Veidt is a now a wanted man and we see a military attack on his arctic stronghold. He’s nowhere to be found but we do see an x-ray that appears to show that he has a brain tumor?

In the final pages we learn that war with Russia is imminent and we cut to a very familiar looking prison setting. Amid the panic a riot seems likely as one of the prisoners is attempting to force his way out of his cell. Suddenly his escape attempt is interrupted by a mysterious stranger.  On the next page we see Rorschach? Alive?  Could it be that he wasn’t disintegrated at the end of Watchmen but was instead transported to the future? And what does any of this have to do with the DCU? I guess we’ll have to wait to find out.

Views: 1548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually stopped reading after #6, and picked up #12 yesterday just to see how it ended.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and read #12 or to re-read the previous 11 issues first.

#12 was mindblowing. IMO, it fit everything together as well as it could and returned characters that had been missed. I really liked Dr Manhattan's resolution. At some point I'll be getting collection for my bookshelf. 

I'll be getting the collection, too... if for no other reason that to have a complete set of alternate covers! Most of the time I have little trouble choosing between alternate covers, but the ones for Doomsday Clock have all been good.

One thing I notice about this picture is that the Yolanda Montez Wildcat and the Beth Chapel Doctor Mid-Nite appear to be back instead of Tommy Bronson and Pieter Cross.  An attempt to promote diversity, perhaps?

Also Beth is wearing Charlie McNider's costume instead of her outfit from her Infinity Inc. days, which I never liked.

The Baron said:

There's a two-page spread in Doomsday Clock #12 that was what I needed to see. Oh, they may screw it up within a year, but for now, it gave me a little hope.

LOTS O' SPOILER SPACE

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Actually, both Wildcats are present. Perhaps both the original WIldcats and Dr. Mid-Nites and their successors are back? It would make sense that once the JSA is re-established, that some of their subsequent history be restored as well.

And yes, the Beth Chapel outfit was an abomination:

One among many...

So many bad outfits in Infinity Inc. So. Many.

Not just Dr. Mid-Nite II, but also Hourman II, Silver Scarab, Nuklon, Obsidian, Star-Spangled Kid, the Feithera guy ...

Why is Atom grabbing Huntress' cape?

Yeah, I  don't see Wildcat's son, though, or the Pieter Cross Doctor Mid-Nite.

Captain Comics said:

Actually, both Wildcats are present. Perhaps both the original WIldcats and Dr. Mid-Nites and their successors are back? It would make sense that once the JSA is re-established, that some of their subsequent history be restored as well.

And yes, the Beth Chapel outfit was an abomination:

I have now officially moved Doomsday Clock out of my "Flashpoint" box and into my "Crises" box. (Just thought you'd like to know.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service