Anybody play D&D? Played D&D?

My comic shop hosts D&D encounters every Wednesday. The newest session is starting up soon. I've never played D&D in my life but have been curious about it. Tonight was character creation. I  sat down with one of the DMs and created a Changeling thief. I'm looking forward to the first adventure next week. Not sure if it's something I'll stick with but I thought I'd give it a shot. I even bought a set of dice tonight as well.

Any tips for a rookie?

If you play do you have a particular type of character you prefer? Did I make the right decision with the Changeling thief?

Views: 999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm okay with healing potions as they're presented in the rules. They're last-ditch items, not the ideal way to use a surge, but are valuable when pressed for time, since they only take a minor action. A heal from any healer, or even your own second wind, is always a better option if it's available and you have the time, but you don't always have a standard action to use it. 

The house rule seems like a valid interpretation, too, but it can make the amount of healing you can do per day fairly limitless. (And it also leaves non-healer players with no minor-action heal options.) By requiring a surge, it keeps a daily limit on how much punishment a character can take, no matter what.

I've softened my stances on the healing surges: basically, players have to ask me if they can use one outside of combat.  However, I do have to work with my players on battle tactics.  The Eladrin Paladin and the Dwarf Fighter kept running out of combat range to heal, forcing the halfling rogue and our wizard to do most of the fighting.

Oh yeah, and the monsters doing the most damage? The Kobold minions, with their single hitpoints but ranged javelins.

Oh, ranged minions are great! Gotta get a controller to pick 'em off!

The Eladrin Paladin and the Dwarf Fighter kept running out of combat range to heal, forcing the halfling rogue and our wizard to do most of the fighting.

Really? My Paladin did some of his best healing in the middle of combat. I

It's not that they weren't healing, just that they should have been up front fighting. I had to fudge a number of rolls to keep the party from dying, as the minions were picking them off left and right.

Yeah, I could have gone for TPK, but three of the players have never played before, and I don't think that's a good introduction to the game.

Yeah, they need to understand their roles a little better. 

And I agree -- a TPK is a horrible way to get introduced to the game. 

I ran the first night of the new Wednesday night D&D Encounters last night. This adventure is by far better than the previous ones. There is more roleplay involved. Also the final outcome will drive players wild since there are 4 possible scenerios. The 4th being particularly nasty. :)

This one lets players do most anything they want. Which means the DM has to do their homework to be prepared for anything. They have the whole city of Baldur's Gate to run around. However the maps of the city that Wizards of the Coast provided are pretty hard to read. Also WotC only provided the playing books and some D20s. Usually they also provide monster stats and battle mats. Not this time. I have to print the monster stats and provide my own battle mats. There's not a lot of fighting this time around though. I don't mind doing this though but since Wizards is starting to make stores pay for these adventures you'd think they provide more than when they were doing it for free.

Randy Jackson said:

Yeah, I could have gone for TPK, but three of the players have never played before, and I don't think that's a good introduction to the game.

Unfortunately, there are some DMs who think it is their job to prove it otherwise. I had one complain about how hard it is to kill PCs in 4E. I told him that isn't the point of the game, and at the end of every fight we shouldn't all be at near death.

So far in my 4E game, I've only killed one character... a bad bunch of critical hits on a first-level defender. Still, it made it clear to everyone that death was possible, and at such an early point in the campaign it made an impression. (And the player was a long-time D&D vet, so no harm was done to his enthusiasm.)

In an earlier campaign, which I doubt I'll ever pick up again, we had a character die pretty early on. Later, I decided to add a mastermind villain working against them -- that original dead character's father, who blamed the group for his son's death! We never got to the reveal, though!

Egads, this is funny!

So D&D 5e has launched. Game stores within the DnD network got the starter set last week. Everyone else has to wait till next week. The rules are up for download on the DnD site. I purchased the starter set which has a basic rules book, a 64 page adventure and 5 pre-generated character sheets. Oh and a set of dice. I haven't had a chance to run a game yet but will next week. From what I've seen the rules are quite a change from 4e, so should be interesting.

I don't play D&D anymore, what is the biggest rule change?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service