http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/05/28/dwayne-mcduffie-fired-from-jla-for-saying-too-much/ This is just sad on a lot of levels...this man was a major force in making the JLA cartoon the great thing it was... ...I hope to see a lot more McDuffie in the Marvel U. in the near future.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It really *is* sad, especially considering the higher profile of the Milestone characters would have (and may still be) reflected in JLA, and it would have been good to have his hand guiding them.

But when Rich ran that piece, I thought, "Uh-oh... this isn't gonna turn out well."
  • I'm not familiar with the interview in question. Any specific beans spilled?
  • If it was clear to him what was privileged information and what isn't prior to his comments, then no matter what I think of him as a writer or a person (and I generally have positive opinions on both accounts), his termination is probably justified. If it was not clear, then this is utterly wrong.

Will this affect the incorporation of Milestone into the DCU? Wasn't he part owner? Did DC buy the Milestone characters?
  • Well, that stinks. But after reading that piece at Lying In The Gutters, I'm not surprised, either.

After this chain of events, will Marvel even hire him?
  • Don Collett said:
    Well, that stinks. But after reading that piece at Lying In The Gutters, I'm not surprised, either.

After this chain of events, will Marvel even hire him?

In a heartbeat.

They let their writers twitter good and bad stuff from the summit meetings...
  • Doc Beechler said:
    They let their writers twitter good and bad stuff from the summit meetings...

I remember back in the U-Decide days, there was some kind of huff (according to PAD) that they tried to make his not writing bad things about Marvel in But I Digress... a condition of his getting further employment...

Definitely a better move on Marvel's part if they're allowing a freer hand these days.
  • Alan M. said:
    I remember back in the U-Decide days, there was some kind of huff (according to PAD) that they tried to make his not writing bad things about Marvel in But I Digress... a condition of his getting further employment...

Definitely a better move on Marvel's part if they're allowing a freer hand these days.

Don't forget, that was back when Jemas was in charge.
  • Rich Lane said:
    Alan M. said:

Don't forget, that was back when Jemas was in charge.

I think it changed when Jemas tried to force his vision of the FF on then creators Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo and fired Waid off the book when he didn't agree. The fan reaction was so strong and so negative, the higher ups at Marvel brought Waid back in. I know I wrote, as a stock holder, to the president of Marvel during that time to state my displeasure at Waid being let go.
  • Rich Lane said:
    If it was clear to him what was privileged information and what isn't prior to his comments, then no matter what I think of him as a writer or a person (and I generally have positive opinions on both accounts), his termination is probably justified. If it was not clear, then this is utterly wrong.

Will this affect the incorporation of Milestone into the DCU? Wasn't he part owner? Did DC buy the Milestone characters?

McDuffie revealed in those posts on the DC message boards that DC is basically leasing the Milestone characters. McDuffie and one of his creative partners still own the characters.

I read pretty much all of his comments on the DC board's JLA thread. His comments were insightful, but didn't seem to reveal anything too inflammatory about the creative process. He simply acknowledged that he didn't have much creative control over Justice League of America, but he knew that was part and parcel of writing the title.
  • Hmmm...based on McDuffie's comments at Newsarama, it sounds like he's been fired from just the comic, not from working for the company.
This reply was deleted.