Entertainment Weekly's Stan Lee Tribute

On sale today: Entertainment Weekly's special tribute issue to Stan Lee. With comics-history information and a sidebar on Iron Man supplied by me (written originally for Life Magazine's Rise of the Super-Hero special issue last year, but still). Ask your newsdealer to reserve your copy now! Or, you can go to Amazon to get one.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• And none of the images are from the comic books. 

Hoy

• Not on the cover, most of EW's audience probably hasn't read a Stan Lee comic book.

There are pictures of the comics he wrote inside, both individual ones and groups. 

I can't say that people who hang around here will learn a lot from it, but I didn't want anyone to wonder why I didn't make note of it.

-- MSA

• I'm going to Books-A-Million today, so I'll try to find it. 

Hoy

• After looking in several stores, I just bought it on eBay.

• Those special issues tend to be stocked at alternative places .I've gotten them at Walmart  and Target, and I sometimes see them at Walgreens or Barnes & Noble. There are quite a few on all kinds of topics once you're looking for them.

-- MSA

• I found it in the magazine section marked "Entertainment" at Books-A-Million. I had a harder time finding Craig's writing credit. 

Hoy

• I'm glad you got to see it. For some reason, my name wasn't used on the cover to help sell it. The fools! But I found it three times, including twice on facing pages, which may be more than anyone else, so I'll take it. I'll keep looking, there may be more. 

• A bit funny thinking about Stan's rise to fame & fortune, becoming one of the most famed comics writers by the 1960s when he was in his 40s but still hardly known outside of comics fandom, and in the early '60s he was balding and clean-shaven but by the late '60s had the wig and full beard, trimmed down to a thick mustached by the early '70s as his fame started to go up a few notches through interviews on talk shows, etc. But only became really famous with the general public when he was in his 80s with the cameos in the mega-hit movies of the 2000s based on characters he co-created.  Not too many famous people reach their greatest level of celebrity when they are in that age range.

This reply was deleted.