Okay , here's a thought .

I jst recently bought , at my LCS , a Marvel Milestone Edition facsmile reprint of the entirety of FANTASTIC FOUR #1 - for a dollar .

Let's try re-reading this story , with what we know now .

It's been manymanymany times reprinted , so , unless anyone here is SO anti-Marvel that they-Well , I shudder to think !

Anyway , let's find , if we can , some version of the story and comment about it again , from today's perspective and maybe imagining what it might'vbe seemd like in '61 .

MSA , did you declare that - behind Spidey in AF #15??? - it was the most , or the second most , reprinted Marvel story , anyway ?

Fittingly enuff:-) , I believe you stated that Superman's first story , though in the SUPERMAN #1 " director's cut " version , not the ACTION #1 " AM radio edit " , was the winn-ah ! there .

FF #1's story is a book-length , 25-page , story - taking advantage of a first issue's then-not needing to have a Post Office-required text page , possible etcetera , to be a little longer , and I suppose that its' title is just that , " The Fantastic Four ! " , as Reed's non-equally-sized raygun flare letters spell out on the splash page ( I first read it in FANTASTIC FOUR SPECIAL #7 , from '69 , incidentally . )...

Views: 849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That makes sense...except I thought Stan had been told it kill the book, and so the Spider-Man idea was a throw-away for the last book?  Exactly how far was it between AF #15 and Spider-Man #1 anyway?  They didn't follow the very next month, eh?

Richard Willis said:

The chapters format of the early FF could have been a holdover from the monster books, but the early Justice League stories also followed the chapter format.

As for Spider-Man, I understand that the four stories spread over the first two ASM books were originally designed to appear in Amazing Fantasy 16 thru 19, with Ditko backup weird stories, before they knew he would have his own book.

Kirk G said:

I've been thinking about this style of story telling...and also the way that the Hulk stories were busted up into chapters. And how the first two Spider-Man issues contained two "stories". I'm thinking this is a hold-over from how the monster comics from the pre-hero period were formated in only three to five pages each.

Which issue is this from?

I know it was a major problem in the early days when Sue was the perpetual hostage. By stealth she saved the day a few times, but it was pretty demeaning.

It was just a panel I found on the 'net that I was having a little fun with. Here is the original.

I don't know which dialog is worse!

Mine is definitely. I'm no Stan. :-)

Richard Willis said:

I don't know which dialog is worse!

I shared both versions with my 19 year old daughter late last night, and she reacted by saying "They're both pretty misogynistic pieces of crap, you know...."  (Knew I shouldn't have sent her to college...)

I think they're both pretty offensive.  I note that this appears in FF #12, immediately after they spend half of #11 trying to defend and build Sue up, despite her self-deprecating tone and attacks from the fans as well!  Sheesh, Stan... what are you trying to do here???

Kirk:

"this appears in FF #12, immediately after they spend half of #11 trying to defend and build Sue up, despite her self-deprecating tone and attacks from the fans as well!  Sheesh, Stan... what are you trying to do here???"

Dandy:

"I'm no Stan."

Makes me wonder how the guy who wrote the STORY would have written the DIALOGUE (if he'd been given the chance).

Stan's no Jack, either.

Thank goodness, Henry. Jack Kirby, bless him, was a terrible dialogue writer. lol

Hi Kirk G, there are lots of comic book lettering fonts available. I used a font from Paint, but there are better to download for free.

Henry R. Kujawa said:

Stan's no Jack, either.

Just to let everyone know I removed a comment here that was inappropriate.

I was impressed that the lettering you used was so similar, if not a match, to the original lettering in the original comic.

You had me going at first with Reed's comment.  I just couldn't imagine Reed saying that about Sue....LOL!

While looking through that Marvel Masterwork that contained FF #12, I noticed something odd. The quality of paper changes about mid-way through the reprint of FF #11 in my edition. It's a much softer, more textured paper, more similar to newsprint for the first dozen or so pages, and then changes to the slick, white paper for the rest of the volume.  The way the colors and ink sits on top of the page instead of sinking in and pentitrating the page REALLY makes a difference in how I perceive the work.  I wish the whole series was printed on that softer, more newsprint related paper instead of the garish colors that result.  That's my biggest complaint about the whole Masterworks series...that the FEEL of the printing has changed the FEELING of the issues as a result.

(As a kid, it was all about smelling the ink and the slight mustiness of the paper that absorbed moisture from the air over time.)

Good job I never posted the uncensored version - lol!

Kirk G said:

You had me going at first with Reed's comment.  I just couldn't imagine Reed saying that about Sue....LOL!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service