Okay , here's a thought .

I jst recently bought , at my LCS , a Marvel Milestone Edition facsmile reprint of the entirety of FANTASTIC FOUR #1 - for a dollar .

Let's try re-reading this story , with what we know now .

It's been manymanymany times reprinted , so , unless anyone here is SO anti-Marvel that they-Well , I shudder to think !

Anyway , let's find , if we can , some version of the story and comment about it again , from today's perspective and maybe imagining what it might'vbe seemd like in '61 .

MSA , did you declare that - behind Spidey in AF #15??? - it was the most , or the second most , reprinted Marvel story , anyway ?

Fittingly enuff:-) , I believe you stated that Superman's first story , though in the SUPERMAN #1 " director's cut " version , not the ACTION #1 " AM radio edit " , was the winn-ah ! there .

FF #1's story is a book-length , 25-page , story - taking advantage of a first issue's then-not needing to have a Post Office-required text page , possible etcetera , to be a little longer , and I suppose that its' title is just that , " The Fantastic Four ! " , as Reed's non-equally-sized raygun flare letters spell out on the splash page ( I first read it in FANTASTIC FOUR SPECIAL #7 , from '69 , incidentally . )...

Views: 837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My problem is if Ditko, Romita, Wood, Heck, Buscema and the rest were writing Stan's books in the 60s, does that mean that they wrote Roy Thomas'? And why weren't they writing in the 70s? Why would Marvel pay two people doing the work one person could have done? Or already did?

Yeah, that's an argument that doesn't bear scrutiny. While Stan is certainly part-hype, the idea that he's an empty suit like the "Bob Kane" credit on 50s Batman comics is silly. Stan contributed quite a bit to his comics, regardless of his collaborator.

Philip Portelli said:

My problem is if Ditko, Romita, Wood, Heck, Buscema and the rest were writing Stan's books in the 60s, does that mean that they wrote Roy Thomas'? And why weren't they writing in the 70s? Why would Marvel pay two people doing the work one person could have done? Or already did?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service