Can anyone recommend it?

Views: 897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I meant on how they died the last time out.

Randy Jackson said:

Actually, I don't think he looks bad in that costume at all.  The FF, on the other hand...

It was Fantastic Four #132 (Ma'73) that Johnny first wore red in homage to the original Human Torch. There was a pretty good push for Johnny following that. He alternated heading Marvel Team-Up every few issues starting with #18 (F'74) and ending with #36. There was The Human Torch #1 (S'74), a reprint series that lasted eight issues.

However, the Original Human Torch returned in Giant-Size Invaders #1 (Ju'75) and, not-so-coincidentally, Johnny returned to his blue uniform in Fantastic Four #159, also dated June 1975.

I like the blue and white costumes, maybe just because I am a bit of a traditionalist.  Definitely brings to mind different times.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

But Marvel has decided to focus on the Avengers with all of the Avengers World stuff, I don't think that they are going to use up anything but leftover resources for the FF.  I think that the FF is now sort of 3rd in line behind the Avenger and the X-Men.

I'd say fourth, after Spider-Man.

I still haven't read the first issue, despite the fact that I bought it last week. But what I understand through skimming through it plus the podcast reviews I've heard and the comics reviews that I've read, it's not going to be for me. This book should be a bright, optimistic, and colorful book. It shouldn't be about any "Fall of the Fantastic Four". Leave that to the Bendis Avengers era and especially the Bendis Daredevil era. The FF book should be like a TED Talk. It should inspire the reader for a brighter future.

Isn't he still dead and Doc Ock is living the life of Peter?

Captain Comics said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

But Marvel has decided to focus on the Avengers with all of the Avengers World stuff, I don't think that they are going to use up anything but leftover resources for the FF.  I think that the FF is now sort of 3rd in line behind the Avenger and the X-Men.

I'd say fourth, after Spider-Man.

Brighter future isn't really part of our culture anymore.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I still haven't read the first issue, despite the fact that I bought it last week. But what I understand through skimming through it plus the podcast reviews I've heard and the comics reviews that I've read, it's not going to be for me. This book should be a bright, optimistic, and colorful book. It shouldn't be about any "Fall of the Fantastic Four". Leave that to the Bendis Avengers era and especially the Bendis Daredevil era. The FF book should be like a TED Talk. It should inspire the reader for a brighter future.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Speak for yourself. I see brighter stuff all of the time.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Speak for yourself. I see brighter stuff all of the time.

Brighter stuff is everywhere you look, if you open your eyes to see it. 

(peeks around, since he hasn't been in here in a long while)

Uh...hey.  How's every little thing?

I've read issues 1 and 2, and I think I'm just sticking with the FF due to habit.  I've loved the book and the characters since I was a little boy, but I don't want a dour, depressing FF.  Yeah, I know families go through hard times (see: my life), but I don' want that to be the overarching theme of the FF.  I'll add I'm not a fan of the red costumes either.  My favorites were the black and white uniforms from the Byrne era.

BTW, Philip Portelli should be plotting this book.  I'd love to read those stories.

Thank you for the compliment, Mister Collett!

I just want to see something different for the Fantastic Four. In the first issue alone, there's the menace coming from a dimensional portal that's inside the Baxter Building (another Reed discovery gone awry) and Johnny actually signs a contract prohibiting from leaving the Earth (Johnny does something immature).

Ben renews his relationship with Alicia which may be good for them but is covering old ground for the readers.

The new costumes don't thrill me though Reed, Sue and Johnny's outfits may share the same colors, they are styled differently.

Maybe they should give them different colors: Johnny red and black, Reed Future Foundation white, Sue navy blue and white and Ben with his light blue trunks and black belt. Or give him long pants and boots to help out the artists! Either way, the red trunks don't work on his orange body.

I did like Johnny's hair showing while he's aflame and the drama of Sue's separation from Val.

Believe it or Not, the thing that I disliked the most was.....the quick defeat of FIN FANG FOOM! Not only does it diminish the character, but they also negate the Marvel Monsters books that gave Fin a great personality and some dignity.

Anyway, I could never really stop reading Fantastic Four. It's too ingrained into me, despite Marvel not giving it the spotlight it deserves.

Here here! (Or is it "hear hear"? Can't ever figure that one out...)

Fantastic Four should be about family. Truly, it could be the super-hero/comic book version of Modern Family or Parenthood. Every issue should make you love your family a little more for what it is, not for what it would ideally be.

Don Collett said:

(peeks around, since he hasn't been in here in a long while)

Uh...hey.  How's every little thing?

I've read issues 1 and 2, and I think I'm just sticking with the FF due to habit.  I've loved the book and the characters since I was a little boy, but I don't want a dour, depressing FF.  Yeah, I know families go through hard times (see: my life), but I don' want that to be the overarching theme of the FF.  I'll add I'm not a fan of the red costumes either.  My favorites were the black and white uniforms from the Byrne era.

BTW, Philip Portelli should be plotting this book.  I'd love to read those stories.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service