Can anyone recommend it?

Views: 897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Don. It's good to see you.

I think the key to Fantastic Four is writing the characters in a way that brings out their personalities, in an attractive way. It might be better to come up with new stuff for them to get involved with than to recycle their old adversaries.

I'm in agreement with all, especially Don, that I don't want to see family trauma in FF. Sure, there ought to be tiffs and the like, but the underlying message ought to be reassuring, not dour.

To tell you the truth, the bonds that held the FF together helped the Li'l Capn get through a few bad days in the Long Before Time. And the occasional "Ben quits!" or whatever also served to support that reassurance, because the clmax of the story -- indeed, the point of the story -- was the characters realizing (again) that they all love and need each other. That's what a 12-year-old wants to read when his parents are divorcing or s/he has some other family trauma, and believe me, it's what this grown-up needs to read sometimes, too!

It's what I miss. The first issue of FF that I picked up was just after Ben stopped being the Thing because he was too close to the Hulk for too long, Reed's arm was slowly loosing the ability to stretch and the title of the story was "Where have all the powers gone" and the Torch was going to leave for a while too. Seeing how they all put it back together was really great for my younger self.

Captain Comics said:

I'm in agreement with all, especially Don, that I don't want to see family trauma in FF. Sure, there ought to be tiffs and the like, but the underlying message ought to be reassuring, not dour.

To tell you the truth, the bonds that held the FF together helped the Li'l Capn get through a few bad days in the Long Before Time. And the occasional "Ben quits!" or whatever also served to support that reassurance, because the clmax of the story -- indeed, the point of the story -- was the characters realizing (again) that they all love and need each other. That's what a 12-year-old wants to read when his parents are divorcing or s/he has some other family trauma, and believe me, it's what this grown-up needs to read sometimes, too!

I think I'd like to see the FF a bit like the Regan family in 'Blue Bloods' - all off doing their own things but still manage to get together for Sunday dinner. - Ok I don't mean that exactly - but the idea that the 'family-unit' that is the FF draws the individuals back together whatever else is going on with their individual lives.

That kind of thing.

I sounds all very Disney but there's still a place for those kinds of ties isn't there?

I think of it as a family business. They have their professional lives and their personal lives, but the business is a family business so they're closely intertwined.

I wonder.

Richard Mantle said:

I think I'd like to see the FF a bit like the Regan family in 'Blue Bloods' - all off doing their own things but still manage to get together for Sunday dinner. - Ok I don't mean that exactly - but the idea that the 'family-unit' that is the FF draws the individuals back together whatever else is going on with their individual lives.

That kind of thing.

I sounds all very Disney but there's still a place for those kinds of ties isn't there?

Johnny Storm needs a Neil Patrick Harris moment! (See the How I Met Your Mother finale.)

That reminds me, is Lyja still in the negative zone and was there ever a meeting between her and Alicia?

I read the second issue of this a couple days ago. It wasn't bad, but I just wish there was a brighter outlook for the Fantastic Four.

Here's what I did like:

• The artwork is awesome. I love Leonard Kirk's smooth lines, made even better by Karl Kesel's inks.
  • I loved that Dragon Man was still defending the kids with his whole self.
  • James Robinson hits the right beats with the relationship between Johnny and Ben Grimm.

Never watched the show, so ... tell me already!

Philip Portelli said:

Johnny Storm needs a Neil Patrick Harris moment! (See the How I Met Your Mother finale.)

No, he doesn't. I wouldn't wish that on anybody as immature as he is.

Captain Comics said:

Philip Portelli said:

In the HIMYM finale, the eternal womanizing man-child Barney discovers that he's going to be a father and one look at his newborn daughter and he resolves to change his life for her. And he does.

Of course, I wouldn't want Johnny to have a child unless he could make that same change,

Captain Comics said:

Philip Portelli said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service